Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

woodenchicken posted:

Make no mistake, it's way way more accessible than the original as it is. People who say it's gotten harder are trippin'. Just to name a few changes:

-it is much easier to avoid infection this time around
-inventory can be upgraded to huge sizes
-healing the townfolk actually brings food and cash rewards
-herbs that you must collect are indicated
-sprint button
-fast travel
-you can repair your poo poo yourself at home

-You don't lose on quest failure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I just encountered the remake of the mission from the original where you had to dodge the plague for one hour.
In the original, it was a nightmarish sequence in the cramped apartment building where you had to jump over furniture and poo poo, dodging fast-moving instafail clouds. Here, it's more like:

*stands in one place watching a cloud approach slowly across a well-lit hall*
*moves slightly to the right; cloud gets caught on level geometry, starts moving the other way*
*bites into an apple with a loud crunch*

Lopside
Jan 10, 2010
This got shared in the Ice Pick fan discord, a pretty sad and worrying interview from studio head Nikolay Dybowski about general disillusion with the saturated games market and the consequences of Pathologic 2's low sales so far. Obviously take with a grain of salt because it's literally a google translation from a secondhand account, but this bit maybe implies that we might not be getting a fully fledged Changeling/Bachelor route any time soon, if ever :(

https://stopgame.ru/blogs/topic/96570

quote:

"As Nikolay said, when fans were asking him to remake Pathologic, he thought that would be easy. You just need to put old project on new tracks and worry not about the success since you do have fanbase already, right? Unfortunately, no. According to Nikolay, Pathologic's gameplay is old. They had to remake a lot so Pathologic 2 won't look like it was made in 2005. Despite developers efforts (moving game to another engine, positive reviews and fanbase of the OG game), it didn't help to achieve commercial success. The release of other two characters (that were in P1, but didn't appear in P2) might delay or it never even happen. Also Nikolay gave an advise to the developers (beginners and experienced) to never ever make something their fans asking for, according to his words this is not a "noble act". He also said that the won't make any more games like Pathologic or any other project they were making before. According to his words, such games are hopelessly old. Yes, these games do have their own fanbase, yes, someone likes them, someone wants more, but these people are minority, and, well, Nikolay himself is tired of such projects."
Anyone able to verify if this translation is sort of accurate?

Sucks to hear how frustrated and dejected the developers sound, tell your friends about the game! I would be crestfallen to not get to see a full version of Danil/Clara's routes in this beautifully modernized update of the game, but man, it's not worth it if the developers have to go into debt and overextend themselves with so little financial stability. I hope they're able to take care of themselves :(

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Well seeing as the release hype what virtually non-existent even among the gaming content creators who love these sorts of game I can see why. It badly needed word of mouth, streamers, really anything, to to get traction outside of the fanbase who know of the original.

Which is a shame because I think the game is really good. I loved the original but it was absolutely awful to play.

Lopside
Jan 10, 2010
Yeah, there really was NO fanfare at launch and TinyBuild didn't seem to market it in the way a game like this needs. I feel like while it may fit the sensibility and interest of a lot of streamers, it's not really that easy to be streamed in a compelling way for viewers (since the experience is so slow burn, text based, insular, and not at all flashy) unless someone were to do supercuts or something really edited. I wonder if the PSN/Xbox/Mac versions that were advertised are still coming out? That would bring some new consumers to the table, at least.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
That's rough, definitely gonna word of mouth encourage people to pick this up

https://twitter.com/KrisLigman/status/1144826791149785088

EDIT: I think I remember that Mandalore Gaming guy saying he was gonna do a video on Pathologic 2? I think that guy's pretty popular, hope he gives it a bump

The Vosgian Beast fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jun 30, 2019

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's really lovely news. I don't want to put too much stock in google translate of secondhand summary of informal talk, but there have been a lot of other signs it's bad from reading IPL tea leaves. If the other routes get cancelled I hope the blowback on the studio won't be too painful. Considering the pressures they were under, it's already a pretty amazing stroke of fortune we got haruspex 2 and it's as good as it is.

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 30, 2019

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Finally hit a wall and died a bunch of times when they forced me to fight for the first time (seemed unbeatable at first, turned out extremely easy if you follow a walkthrough) They sure like to rub those deaths in, huh. My theory is that this smug mockery is what broke all gaming journalists' egos, and ultimately led to bad reviews across the board.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
https://twitter.com/okunichh/status/1145239637553758208

Professor Cthulhu
Jul 14, 2007

I got my Associate degree at Miskatonic Community College.
This game makes me feel like a piece of poo poo every time I take a power nap because I know there's some orphan literally dying a few streets away. Doesn't help that right before I downed a potion made out some weeds, water which is getting very scarce now, and literally a healthy human heart.

Lopside
Jan 10, 2010
So here's this jankily endearing all girl group cosplay of Pathologic by a bunch of awkward slavic teens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF-ohTqX-_4

I love imagining this morose display happening in between the usual kawaii desu ne anime dance routine/cardboard fantasy weapon exhibition stuff you see at con masquerades

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Professor Cthulhu posted:

This game makes me feel like a piece of poo poo every time I take a power nap because I know there's some orphan literally dying a few streets away. Doesn't help that right before I downed a potion made out some weeds, water which is getting very scarce now, and literally a healthy human heart.

Food: 400 coins
Water: 300 coins
Candles: 3700 coins
Scalpels: 600 coins

How do I budget this my town is dying

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

RBA Starblade posted:

Food: 400 coins
Water: 300 coins
Candles: 3700 coins
Scalpels: 600 coins

How do I budget this my town is dying
Spend more on candles.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

Spend more on candles.

Yes

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

Spend more on candles.

Then trade them for cat kid-drugs.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Honestly, after what happens on Day 3? I'd candle up too.

Professor Cthulhu
Jul 14, 2007

I got my Associate degree at Miskatonic Community College.
Show up to an infected area to give an infected person the wrong medicine as you clutch your heavy cloak tightly and step over them with your military boots. You are a good person and everyone is right to respect you.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Show up to an infected area to give an infected person the wrong medicine as you clutch your heavy cloak tightly and step over them with your military boots. You are a good person and everyone is right to respect you.

drat right.

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

How to ruin improve game sessions & family ties with one simple question.

-Would this be better if I used poison?

:qq:
Honestly how many sales were they even expecting? They got like 8000 people to spend several hundred thousand to get it kickstarted so you remove those fans from the potential release sales.
I believe this is partially because it's called Pathologic 2, a good number of people would've thought that they had to play the first to get the second.

Hoping this is a major mistranslation on google. Further hoping mandaloregaming and hbomberguy will bring this game enough sales in order to get the other routes.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

woodenchicken posted:

Camus' The Plague has so many similarities with Pathologic, it has to have been one of the inspirations.

If we're talking Russian (-language) though, then for some hardcore steppe survival, intercut with tales of Soviet misery, steppe legends and philosophical sci-fi, may I recommend The Day Lasts More Than a Hundred Years by Chingiz Aitmatov.
A slow read, and depressive as hell, but also thought-provoking and kinda beautiful.

It mostly evokes Russian literature of late 19th - early 20th century with the writing style. Maybe some narrative devices too. I suspect most of it is lost in translation, but if you play in Russian it sounds like a piece out of time, it blends Dostoevsky and Akhmatova and Zamyatin and whoever else never falling into any specific style. The story and themes themselves don't seem that "Russian" to me, and the game aesthetics only somewhat resemble an old Russian town. It's more of an amalgam of European colonial-era literature couples with the post-modern approach of a less optimistic nature. Change the climate and character models a little and you might have exactly the same game in a sort of French Algeria (probably too on the nose because of Camus) or British India. Fundamentally it's about a conflict of reason and nature, and mechanics support that theme too. There's nothing specifically Russian about this theme and I struggle to name any directly comparable renown novels, Russian literature is obsessed with Man VS Society question. Even when it's something resembling fighting nature it's played out like a Greek Tragedy, it's more fate than nature.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Waterfall Watcher posted:

Honestly how many sales were they even expecting? They got like 8000 people to spend several hundred thousand to get it kickstarted so you remove those fans from the potential release sales.
I believe this is partially because it's called Pathologic 2, a good number of people would've thought that they had to play the first to get the second.

Hoping this is a major mistranslation on google. Further hoping mandaloregaming and hbomberguy will bring this game enough sales in order to get the other routes.

If sales don't meet expectations then no institutional would-bees will finance more projects like this since this one bombed despite having an established property and a strong fan push. It's not :qq:, it's just the facts.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Hello, Bachelor

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Day 10 now, and Sticky and Notkin are dead. Grief got infected, but lived just long enough to reach the end of his plotline and give me his shotgun, which I only had four rounds for. Laura is alive because I just realized I could trade the one leash I have for a schmowder and cured her the day after she got infected. I died enough to be offered that one bargain, and I was initially going to refuse it at first, but spent a good ten minutes thinking it over before I went ahead and accepted. I definitely, absolutely regret it by now, though. I don't know what other thing will be taken from me, but coming to the theater and seeing everyone who's died so far (which by this point includes Andrey Stamatin, Big Vlad, and Katerina Saburova) every single time is so incredibly demoralizing compared to the relatively minor hits to your stats that happen when you die otherwise and the weird bone tumors growing around town.

It's put me in a weird state of "alright, gently caress it, this town's burning down" that led to me not going out of my way to murder, but not running away from the people who attack you in the burned out districts and getting really good with a knife. I still chose not to kill the worms in the abattoir, so most of that day was wandering around in a weird haze until Oyun called me over. And the sequence that followed was...goddamn.

I really wish I were better at bugging my friends to play the weird poo poo I love because this game absolutely deserves to be played by so many more people.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You're not going to like what you lost

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Squidtentacle posted:

Day 10 now, and Sticky and Notkin are dead. Grief got infected, but lived just long enough to reach the end of his plotline and give me his shotgun, which I only had four rounds for. Laura is alive because I just realized I could trade the one leash I have for a schmowder and cured her the day after she got infected. I died enough to be offered that one bargain, and I was initially going to refuse it at first, but spent a good ten minutes thinking it over before I went ahead and accepted. I definitely, absolutely regret it by now, though. I don't know what other thing will be taken from me, but coming to the theater and seeing everyone who's died so far (which by this point includes Andrey Stamatin, Big Vlad, and Katerina Saburova) every single time is so incredibly demoralizing compared to the relatively minor hits to your stats that happen when you die otherwise and the weird bone tumors growing around town.

It's put me in a weird state of "alright, gently caress it, this town's burning down" that led to me not going out of my way to murder, but not running away from the people who attack you in the burned out districts and getting really good with a knife. I still chose not to kill the worms in the abattoir, so most of that day was wandering around in a weird haze until Oyun called me over. And the sequence that followed was...goddamn.

I really wish I were better at bugging my friends to play the weird poo poo I love because this game absolutely deserves to be played by so many more people.

I have a friend I showed the game off to, and he was definitely fascinated and intrigued, but he has an awful garbage computer that can't play games :negative:

Waterfall Watcher posted:

I mean given how long Hbomberguy's NITW video is taking, it might be too late for Pathologic 2 by the time it comes out :v:

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

RBA Starblade posted:

You're not going to like what you lost

Yeah I'm already committed to another playthrough after I reach the end of my despair run, so I figured I might as well know.

Do you start over with the death penalties after beating the game, or do those roll over even after the credits?

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Death penalties are tied to profiles. Each time you start you have to make a new one. So death penalties will follow you between saves, but not between separate runs.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Okay, good, that's what I figured.

One thing I do really appreciate the bargain doing is telling you where characters' storylines were going. I didn't pay much attention to Katerina's stuff originally, but then she said "my story was called The Rat Prophet" or something and I was immediately interested because I'd only met the guy three times before and he'd hinted he would show up in the death theater later.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Early on in day two, running on about three hours of morphine sleep and already died three times, now trying to figure out whether the solkanov (sp?) tasks are what I should be prioritizing today, cause I still haven't seen any breadcrumbs or hints pointing me towards these caches that people seem to be talking about, even though I already found two thanks to twyine binges through the early morning hours until I was on the verge of passing out and stumbled back to Vlad's while trying to avoid some weird bloodless assholes and cutting one up to sell his organs to Scarface. :toot:

This game rules. :allears:

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Squidtentacle posted:

I died enough to be offered that one bargain, and I was initially going to refuse it at first, but spent a good ten minutes thinking it over before I went ahead and accepted. I definitely, absolutely regret it by now, though.

you'll regret it more later!

the bargain might be my favourite thing in this game

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I’m on the bachelor’s route in classic HD and I want to do this quest for the Haruspex where you get an executor outfit but when I go to Mark to ask for one he just gives me his standard dialogue. Is there something else I’m supposed to do?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

It's been over a decade since Loss. Think on that.

(I actually like Loss as a nice piece of wordless story telling, and it really captures the feeling of powerlessness if a loved one is in hospital (kinda like Athletes "Wires") it's just loving out of place in a dumb game comic)

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

hostess with the Moltres posted:

I’m on the bachelor’s route in classic HD and I want to do this quest for the Haruspex where you get an executor outfit but when I go to Mark to ask for one he just gives me his standard dialogue. Is there something else I’m supposed to do?

That quest is bugged/designed very weirdly where if you've already completed the main quest for the day it won't activate correctly. It's the only side quest in the game like this.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Things that went well:

- Made Panacea
- Did not die to dehydration
- Spoke to all the childrens and got a load of plot and food and everythings
- Saved Notkin
- Gave big boy boosters to almost everyone (the Kains, Petey Stams, Eva, the Saburovs)

Things that didn't:

- Everyone but Victor Kain failed the dice roll so now there are five infected and I have on panacea lmao rip
- Didn't have any medicine really to help people with so the fund is lovely

I don't think I'm getting the "everyone lives" ending this time :v:

e: What do you mean the loving lair is infected again kids you little shits take your medicine. Also lol at Changeling alternatingly making GBS threads on Burakh while Clara doesn't know what the hell. Guess this second dose is for me! :buddy:

e: Uh Grief's supposed to be at the tracks at midnight to blow them up, where is he? He isn't at his lair either and the marker's still here so I didn't miss it.

Looking around for an answer there's a dream you only get if you let the Changeling/Plague take Murky so that achievement's never happening

I also told Vlad to reopen the store as a meat shop and move on unaware I missed earlier parts of a side quest.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 8, 2019

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Somehow I managed to die four times, and Day 1 is still not over.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Ephemeron posted:

Somehow I managed to die four times, and Day 1 is still not over.

If it helps, none of those will count as deaths in the long run

(if you want any tips we'll be happy to provide)

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
I guess this game is just not a good fit for me (or vice versa). Still undecided whether I should just uninstall, leave a positive review and move on, or set the difficulty to easy and thoroughly spoil myself with every guide and wiki I can find.

I know that it's meant to simulate an authentic total disaster experience where the player feels as helpless and out of control as the player character, but I get enough of that IRL as it is, and while I greatly admire IPL's artistic vision, they aren't paying for my therapy.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Ephemeron posted:

I guess this game is just not a good fit for me (or vice versa). Still undecided whether I should just uninstall, leave a positive review and move on, or set the difficulty to easy and thoroughly spoil myself with every guide and wiki I can find.

I know that it's meant to simulate an authentic total disaster experience where the player feels as helpless and out of control as the player character, but I get enough of that IRL as it is, and while I greatly admire IPL's artistic vision, they aren't paying for my therapy.

At the end of the day it's up to you to gauge your level of comfort with the situation. I think Pathologic has an unparalleled atmosphere that isn't wholly ruined if you lower the difficulty a little (or even a lot), so I'd recommend doing that and just working on filling out as much of the narrative as you can. I don't necessarily recommend using wikis to spoil goals for yourself, because it takes away from the narrative progression of the game, but of course it's your choice. If you don't want to play but are still interested, you can just watch a let's play - there are several good ones on youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Give easymode a chance imo. When you manage to save a life, or protect a district, it feels very nice! Can't get that just by watching Youtube.

E: But consult a guide during that level where you're stripped of all your equipment. It's very annoying and you can also gently caress up your ending if you just act randomly.

woodenchicken fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 8, 2019