Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

LadyPictureShow posted:

Hummel figurines. I think Goebbel is the company name.

Yep, Hummels, that was a weird brain tic. Although I actually do see a fair bit of old racist stuff too. It's technically called "Black Americana" now :viggo:.

Lego's been churning out a lot of sets that are basically model kits. Things like the Architecture series. My sister's husband was super into them until he ran out of shelf space and got tired of hanging shelves. I guess it makes sense for people like me that like the idea of model kits but suck at building them, although they seem like they're just there to drain Lego superfans of their money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Yep, Hummels, that was a weird brain tic. Although I actually do see a fair bit of old racist stuff too. It's technically called "Black Americana" now :viggo:.

Although I suppose I can guess the answer: Is there a big market for this "black americana" stuff? What is the demographic of said market?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

M_Sinistrari posted:

I'm just not getting the point of build the overpriced fancy Lego set and that's it. I'd think if you want to do something like models, you'd want something more realistic looking than Lego blocks.

That's why Gunpla exists. You buy the thing, you build the thing, you play with the thing.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I tried to ask my mother-in-law to get me something very practical for Christmas a few years ago but she got me a fancy version instead. :sigh:

God dammit I actually did want socks for Christmas. Some nice sturdy boot socks, not spa socks or toe socks or weird fuzzy socks. :sassargh:

bony tony posted:

That's why Gunpla exists. You buy the thing, you build the thing, you play with the thing.

Then you spend the next 20 minutes trying to find and reattach the hands, which ejected themselves from the model when you tried to turn the head. :argh:

Bees on Wheat has a new favorite as of 09:35 on Jul 7, 2019

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

BrigadierSensible posted:

Although I suppose I can guess the answer: Is there a big market for this "black americana" stuff? What is the demographic of said market?

It's a decent sized market. I don't have hard numbers since I don't personally deal in it because, well, it's really awkward. After all, the rule of thumb is that the more racist the caricature is, the more it's worth. A lot of the market is supposedly African American collectors who want to preserve the past, or at least that's the justifications I've always heard. I've been at a few auctions where small museums were putting in bids too. There are definitely old white people buying it though, with some unknown split between eccentrics and genuine racists.

For hopefully just awkward, I once got to see an eccentric old white man overpay for a genuine 60s-ish KKK robe and hood (I think at least $500) all so that he could put it on and take a Christmas picture with his arm around an Obama standee. He passed away about a year later and it ended up back on the auction block, which led to a long break as they tried to explain that he wasn't in the klan but basically had irony poisoning. I think the same little museum he beat out for it originally finally got it.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Bees on Wheat posted:

I tried to ask my mother-in-law to get me something very practical for Christmas a few years ago but she got me a fancy version instead. :sigh:

God dammit I actually did want socks for Christmas. Some nice sturdy boot socks, not spa socks or toe socks or weird fuzzy socks. :sassargh:

Then you spend the next 20 minutes trying to find and reattach the hands, which ejected themselves from the model when you tried to turn the head. :argh:

Lifehack: Superglue the forearm pieces together. You won't be able to switch hands, but they'll stay together no problems.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

fuzzy_logic posted:

is this guy Blue Story's husband?

Moving Sucks, But Especially If You're a Geek

"just renting out storage units and engineering complex infrastructure to ferry my mounds of plastic nerd poo poo down the street, you know, like all normal nerds do all the time, right fellow nerds?"
You know it's bad when even the Kotaku commentators are dunking on you.

I ran across the saddest series of videos on fb awhile back - a friend of a friend's fiance had passed away suddenly, leaving behind a hoard of funkos so huge she had no idea what to do with them. People persuaded the widow to list them on fb and they'd buy them to help her out, but there were so many she couldn't even do photos for listings, so she made videos panning over each one. The total video time was over 2 hours. Imagine that being your legacy, just a bunch of loving plastic garbage so huge it becomes a burden on your loved ones just trying to get rid of it.

this make's me feel a lot better about the amount of crap I have, and also makes me want to reduce even more.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/african-americans-many-rivers-to-cross/history/should-blacks-collect-racist-memorabilia/
https://www.ferris.edu/HTMLS/news/jimcrow/collect.htm

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

For hopefully just awkward, I once got to see an eccentric old white man overpay for a genuine 60s-ish KKK robe and hood (I think at least $500) all so that he could put it on and take a Christmas picture with his arm around an Obama standee. He passed away about a year later and it ended up back on the auction block, which led to a long break as they tried to explain that he wasn't in the klan but basically had irony poisoning.

He actually died of irony poisoning?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

I know a few black people who collect this stuff. Mostly academic and academic-adjacent.

The auctions must be fun, as Professors of African Diaspora Studies and Klanners with money outbid each other?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

AlbieQuirky posted:

I know a few black people who collect this stuff. Mostly academic and academic-adjacent.

The auctions must be fun, as Professors of African Diaspora Studies and Klanners with money outbid each other?

The future MLK dreamed of.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

bony tony posted:

My man! Gunpla is extremely my jam!

:cool::respek::cool:

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYG6J_iaMXQ

Here is a vid about Yaoi paddles. Plenty of AUG to go around.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

bony tony posted:

Lifehack: Superglue the forearm pieces together. You won't be able to switch hands, but they'll stay together no problems.

I actually have plastic cement for some of the more fiddly bits, like when they make a stupid 1mm piece of plastic because the tip of this loving gun has to be a different color from the rest of it but there's nothing actually keeping the two pieces together aside from thoughts and prayers. :argh:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
A lot of the nerd stuff I had like Magic Cards and Warhammer 40k armies I just gave away to a friend.

Cool thing about it is he has a huge play room so if people wanted to play Magic or 40k they didn't need an existing deck or army, since he had quite a lot to loan out in the moment. So I feel it got put to better use than just taking up space in my house 99% of the time.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Dude. I get that your dad is a cop and he's great but that doesn't mean all cops are good people.

I grew up with this guy (and his super awesome cop dad!) and I don't understand how he turned into such a jackass.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

quote:

Boy I sure love the taste of boot leather

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Scathach posted:

Dude. I get that your dad is a cop and he's great but that doesn't mean all cops are good people.

I grew up with this guy (and his super awesome cop dad!) and I don't understand how he turned into such a jackass.

Who could feel uncomfortable with armed men granted state power to violently enforce their biases with impunity?

Criminals!!!!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Brawnfire posted:

Who could feel uncomfortable with armed men granted state power to violently enforce their biases with impunity?

Criminals!!!!

Most white people believe that if you're not doing anything wrong the police will leave you alone.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Im sure this cool joke will be loved by all :thumbsup:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Violet_Sky posted:

Wasn't there something in the news a bit back where someone posted something like this on Facebook and ended up with CPS investigating?

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
That's a pathetic bong for pathetic parents

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Violet_Sky posted:

nice

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Gross! Who offers a wee baby a dirty bong?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

yeah but what about babby's first vape hit?

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Wow thats neato

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Even if that wasn’t The Daily Mail it would be obviously fake.

EDIT: It’s a parody account

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Yes, I'm sure the Daily Mail knows the truth and isn't slut shaming in any way

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

i may just be a simple country lawyer but that doesn't seem science to me that herpes works that way

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What could get transmitted by that though? Athlete's foot? Yeast Infection? Maybe she should start spiking the water as a social experiment

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Picnic Princess posted:

Yes, I'm sure the Daily Mail knows the truth and isn't slut shaming in any way

I also wouldn't put it past Incels being pissy.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cinni posted:

What could get transmitted by that though? Athlete's foot? Yeast Infection? Maybe she should start spiking the water as a social experiment

Just dirt grime and oils and soap. then locked in a jar and allowed to fester for a while.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Lmao, I know this is medically impossible, but I want it to be real. If you are dumb enough to buy AND drink used bathwater, you should get herpes.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Bogus Adventure posted:

Lmao, I know this is medically impossible, but I want it to be real. If you are dumb enough to buy AND drink used bathwater, you should get herpes.

Especially when the bathwater has it stated in the description that it's not for drinking.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

M_Sinistrari posted:

Especially when the bathwater has it stated in the description that it's not for drinking.

Exactly. Belle Delphine clearly did not want her adoring fans to contract her super herpes.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Scathach posted:

THE THIN BLUE WHINE

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I'm a sucker for eurobeat, but Dave Rodgers is pretty awkward in the music video he just put out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNF05-A1xY0

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

This is the new Merda d'artista

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Bogus Adventure posted:

Turns out it just gave them the confidence they needed to go get the herp the old-fashioned way