Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Bogus Adventure posted:

Frank Miller is writing a new Superman origin
Yesh DC knows better than to incorporate any Miller past DKR into its works. It'll just be a big name weirdstory and nothing more.

BioEnchanted posted:

I do find it funny how many Klingon's try to do subterfuge and are so surprised when the other Klingon party doesn't submit. How are the Klingons so surprised that Worf and his Brother are willing to die for their father's reputation?
To be fair, Worf is basically a big old Klingaboo (retreating into a mythical racial history once coming of age). So another Klingon might realize the tactical choice is "P'tak! I wouldn't waste a good bat'leth on your honorless hide!" to use as cover for negotiations and a bloodless agreement.

FilthyImp has a new favorite as of 23:34 on Jul 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The other reason Ferengi fall flat is because they were constructed as a direct philosophical counterpoint to TNG's stiff, almost alien hyper-enlightened Federation that smugly strolled around the galaxy acting like they were better than everyone else. They're a dark mirror to something that was already distorted and difficult to relate to, so the whole thing falls apart. Also, the extreme cognitive dissonance of trying to make capitalists the bad guys in a series known for milking $$$ from its fans.

Maybe if TNG's early days weren't awkward as gently caress, maybe if their first episode wasn't sabotaged by some of the worst direction of all time, maybe the whole thing could've played out differently. Maybe.

BioEnchanted posted:

I do find it funny how many Klingon's try to do subterfuge and are so surprised when the other Klingon party doesn't submit. How are the Klingons so surprised that Worf and his Brother are willing to die for their father's reputation? They should know better than anyone that all threatening a Klingon's life will result in is "Fine, then I will die by the side of those I am loyal to"

It's like "Worf, you can still run from this fight..." "You're kidding? You seriously think a Klingon will run away from a fight? Wow you are dumb, like Romulan levels of underestimating your opponent..."

That's the core dramatic irony of Worf's character. He's ostensibly the least Klingon of the bunch because of his upbringing, but because of his upbringing he also only ever got the idealized version of Klingon culture and took it all at face value. It turns out that underneath all the grand speeches and war stories and such about honor and courage and strength, the Klingons are just as petty, backstabbing, and duplicitous as their enemies.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Due to the weirdness of how human relationships are treated on the show, ironically that TNG Cardassian giving Picard a hard time about how humans don't love their kids feels weirdly credible and a bizarre moment overall

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Elfface posted:

How long until we have Superman doing the iconic "Zoom in front of a speeding bullet and be a human shield" thing, but instead of a gangster in a pinstripe suit opening fire on a bank, he's standing in front of a cop opening fire on a black teenager?

There is some media pushback starting to happen. In the Netflix season of Lucifer (where the literal Devil works with the LAPD) they had an episode where one of the characters (who is black) is almost shot by the cops just for asking questions when they show up to arrest a young black man that he was helping.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Grey's Anatomy did a good #BLM one and a few different anti-ICE/CBP episodes.

The Charmichael Show was cancelled by NBC because they did an episode where the main character was in a mass shooting event iirc

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Klingon glory and honor = winning. It ain't cheating if you win.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bogus Adventure posted:

Klingon glory and honor = winning. It ain't cheating if you win.

Yeah that's the literal reason given for why they use cloaking devices despite talking a lot about honour.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Elfface posted:

How long until we have Superman doing the iconic "Zoom in front of a speeding bullet and be a human shield" thing, but instead of a gangster in a pinstripe suit opening fire on a bank, he's standing in front of a cop opening fire on a black teenager?

IIRC there was a recent arc where Supes really did go up against militarized police. While he was depowered no less. One issue even ended with him in front of a bunch of civilians saying "You are ALL Superman now"

Fake edit: I tried finding the article I read about it and the only thing I could find were reports that Dean Cain is now a police officer because OF COURSE he is.

Real Edit: FWIW the Punisher recently did an issue where Frank chews out and threatens to kill a bunch of cop fanboys of his, complete with skull decal on their car (which Frank rips up).

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-real-punisher-wants-cops-to-stop-pretending-theyre-1836085595

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 12:46 on Jul 7, 2019

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

AceOfFlames posted:

Fake edit: I tried finding the article I read about it and the only thing I could find were reports that Dean Cain is now a police officer because OF COURSE he is.

A real police officer, or a 'police officer' the way that Steven Seagal is a "sherrif"?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

A real police officer, or a 'police officer' the way that Steven Seagal is a "sherrif"?

I'm guessing the latter:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dean-cain-joins-idaho-police-department/

quote:

Calling Superman: St. Anthony, Idaho, needs you. A small town in east Idaho welcomed Dean Cain, who played Clark Kent in "Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman," into its police force on Tuesday, reports the Idaho Statesman. Cain was sworn in as a reserve officer.
Cain is the second celebrity to join the St. Anthony Police Department. He joins his good friend, "CHiPs" star Erik Estrada, who became a St. Anthony police reserve officer in 2016. Estrada was previously a deputy sheriff in Virginia and a reserve officer in Indiana. The two will work together on Estrada's "All About Kids" task force, which teaches youth how to be safe online. 
Cain talked to The Daily Caller about his new gig and said "real heroes don't wear capes. Real Superheroes wear uniforms and badges and stethoscopes! Real superheroes are members of our military, law enforcement, and first responders. Pretend Superheroes wear capes!" He said his deep respect for first responders inspired him to become a reserve officer. 

He said, "I completely relate to people who will put themselves and their lives on the line to help others who need that help, or are unable to help themselves ... There are certain people who react well in life-threatening situations, and our military and our law enforcement and our first responders tend to be those types of folks."

Hahahahaha

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Sure, okay. Two actors kids have no idea exist are going to help teach kids how to be safe online. It's far more likely a child has seen Dean Cain play a murderous villain than a superhero.

And yeah, no police department is going to hire a 50+ year old as a real officer. Oh they can really shoot and kill an innocent person, but it'll be under the close supervision of regular police officers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The X-Men being written out has really hurt comics, say what you want about the clumsiness and datedness of the minority metaphor, it provided a really important counterpoint to the authoritarian tendencies of superheroes.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The X-Men being written out has really hurt comics, say what you want about the clumsiness and datedness of the minority metaphor, it provided a really important counterpoint to the authoritarian tendencies of superheroes.

do you think there hasn't been at least 3 concurrent X-Men books being published at any point in the past 10 years

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Plus, because of the Fox merger, Marvel is all set to bring the X-Men back into the spotlight to get that sweet brand synergy. There are also rumors that the current ongoing storyline (X-Man brings the vast majority of Mutants into a Mutant dominated alternate universe while Emma Frost has apparently erased the memory of the existence of mutants from the rest of the world) is hearing up for a reboot concurrent with their introduction to the MCU.

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 16:00 on Jul 7, 2019

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The stuff I saw for that seemed more like Steve Rogers was Weapon I, where Wolverine will be weapon X and some of the intervening Weapon [numbers] could show up as villains, and maybe including Hulk and Abomination as Weapons II/III? I forget exactly, and it’s probably still up in the air anyways at this point.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Icon Of Sin posted:

The stuff I saw for that seemed more like Steve Rogers was Weapon I, where Wolverine will be weapon X and some of the intervening Weapon [numbers] could show up as villains, and maybe including Hulk and Abomination as Weapons II/III? I forget exactly, and it’s probably still up in the air anyways at this point.

That's for an upcoming comic, not the MCU as was previously reported. Cap being Weapon I has already been established in the comics for quite sometime but apparently they never did anything with that piece of information until now.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Icon Of Sin posted:

didn’t grant morrison do a lot with the weapons in his run? Also canon or not we 3 is the always going to be the weapons 1-3 story in my yeart

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yes, in Grant Morrison's run on New X-Men he introduced the idea of the "Weapon Plus" program which changed it from the letter "X" to the Roman numeral for 10.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

AceOfFlames posted:

Real Edit: FWIW the Punisher recently did an issue where Frank chews out and threatens to kill a bunch of cop fanboys of his, complete with skull decal on their car (which Frank rips up).

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-real-punisher-wants-cops-to-stop-pretending-theyre-1836085595

I find this kind of gross. Trying to make the Punisher more appealing.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Gaunab posted:

Alienating cops and the #BlueLivesMatter crowd is both cool and good.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Koalas March posted:

Alienating cops and the #BlueLivesMatter crowd is both cool and good.

Yeah. I mean I've seen people ask why Marvel hasn't said anything about that and now they have and it's gross?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gaunab posted:

It's a good tack because "You're a loving civil servant not Rambo" is indeed the message that should be sent to modern law enforcement.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It's a nice sentiment, but people are going to see what they want in Frank Castle. Having him specifically say, 'stop glamorizing the desperate machinations of a soulless murderer' is not going to compete with 'heh, he shot knives at thugs'.

The Punisher literally killed everyone on Earth so, how redeemable is he really?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

If he doesn’t punish people what’s the point of the character

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

oldpainless posted:

If he doesn’t punish people what’s the point of the character

There's a reason he's not called The Rehabilitator.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's a nice sentiment, but people are going to see what they want in Frank Castle. Having him specifically say, 'stop glamorizing the desperate machinations of a soulless murderer' is not going to compete with 'heh, he shot knives at thugs'.

The Punisher literally killed everyone on Earth so, how redeemable is he really?

Maybe I should introduce you to Cosmic Ghost Rider, who is Punisher who got Ghost Rider powers and went to space and adopted Thanos and raised him, instead, to be The Punisher?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Koalas March posted:

The Charmichael Show was cancelled by NBC because they did an episode where the main character was in a mass shooting event iirc
I'm unfamiliar with this show, what was it?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's this.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

It's a good tack because "You're a loving civil servant not Rambo" is indeed the message that should be sent to modern law enforcement.

it's a bad tack because they know that the punisher is an attractive character to those types but instead of recognizing why in order to change the character or outright retire him they just have him go 'hey i'm not like these guys'

it changes nothing and it'll be forgotten about in a few months

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah the problem with the punisher isn’t that he has cop fanboys it’s that do to the nature of his stories he is always good and correct with maybe a little bit of angst which creates the fanboys

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Brother Entropy posted:

it's a bad tack because they know that the punisher is an attractive character to those types but instead of recognizing why in order to change the character or outright retire him they just have him go 'hey i'm not like these guys'

it changes nothing and it'll be forgotten about in a few months

He's a ghostrider right now

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah the problem with the punisher isn’t that he has cop fanboys it’s that do to the nature of his stories he is always good and correct with maybe a little bit of angst which creates the fanboys

There was an option for Frank to get his family back once. He chose not to and destroyed the revival machine. Not because it would have let a new supervillain take over the crime in New York but because he knows he's a monster and that his family wouldn't approve of what he does.

The best Punisher line is the Max line where he is clearly not a good guy and even Nick Fury just wants him to mellow out because he's a monster.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The thing with Punisher is he only really works in a world without superheroes, i.e. Punisher MAX. Putting him in with superheroes just tends to have him fall into the hole of the writers making him badass where he can go toe to toe with Spider-Man or something like that which turns him into a lovely power fantasy when he shouldn't be.

Frank only really works as a monster that can't stop killing so he goes after criminals because that's more sociably acceptable than being a spree shooter. Again, Ennis' Punisher MAX did a quality job at this.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

The thing with Punisher is he only really works in a world without superheroes, i.e. Punisher MAX. Putting him in with superheroes just tends to have him fall into the hole of the writers making him badass where he can go toe to toe with Spider-Man or something like that which turns him into a lovely power fantasy when he shouldn't be.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

The Charmichael Show was very much a 90s throwback sitcom in the vein of Family Matters, Hanging With Mr Cooper etc. The cast was great: Jerrod Charmichael, Tiffany Haddish, Loretta Devine, David Allen Grier and Lil Rel.

I think it took awhile to find it's footing but it's good for what it was trying to be. I like Blackish better for stuff like the clip below but imo TCS is still worth a watch.

Will this age well? I think so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA9QBZr8WEg

Koalas March has a new favorite as of 23:36 on Jul 7, 2019

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Accordion Man posted:

Frank only really works as a monster that can't stop killing so he goes after criminals because that's more sociably acceptable than being a spree shooter. Again, Ennis' Punisher MAX did a quality job at this.

Also do to the nature of being in that universe superheroes have to just keep letting him go, even if they shake their fist at him with halfhearted disgust

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

CharlestheHammer posted:

Also do to the nature of being in that universe superheroes have to just keep letting him go, even if they shake their fist at him with halfhearted disgust
That too.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

CharlestheHammer posted:

He also tends to flash bang or some other cheat way is escaping super heroes

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

CharlestheHammer posted:

Cops shouldn't try to emulate the Punisher largely because he exists outside of things like due process. Everything he does is extrajudicial and he really mostly only goes after the worst people. Your average police officer probably won't come in contact with more than one of the type of person the Punisher goes after in his entire career. Most cop work is boring, petty bullshit. The vast majority of actual crime is really dealing minor, nonviolent poo poo. Once you get cops just desperately wanting to go full Punisher on somebody they'll start actively looking for excuses to even though probably 99% of what a police officer deals with doesn't even approach actually needing any force at all. Giving regular beat cops daily, easy access to literal military hardware is a god awful idea.

The other thing about the Punisher is that he knows what he's doing is wrong. Instead of working with the police and still treating even criminals like people he's going on a murder spree against people he decided should die.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I like when Archie met the Punisher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I like when Archie met the Punisher.
That comic is actually better than one would think.

Archie vs. Predator is also fantastic.

Accordion Man has a new favorite as of 00:45 on Jul 8, 2019