Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Minrad posted:

I still can't tell if Thancred's is intended to seem that way or not. The non-chalant Minfilia cutscene right after had me baffled if he just died or what.

"Man, this is going to be really awkward for redhead Minfilia when she finds out Thancred di- Oh, no, wait, he's just fine. Nevermind then."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ran'jit is probably the single weakest element of the story this time around. He's just real generic.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Arist posted:

Ran'jit is probably the single weakest element of the story this time around. He's just real generic.

For sure. He's supposed to be a foil to Thancred, but I feel like mini-Minfilia's plot was pretty weakly handled over all. She randomly starts getting upset in the second half of Il Mheg over how useless she is and I'm like, huh? what? you do more damage than alisae and gimme trick attack in dungeons, you're loving owning, and you're even helping me out on the generic fetch quest. in what way are you letting anyone down? I feel like if Ran'jit did a better job actually tracking her down and had some better explanation of raising past Minfilias he could have been a lot better, in a Dad vs Step-Dad way, but he just feels like a generic roadblock on the way to Vauthry.

I do like Dad-cred a lot, but his plot with Ryne felt like the weakest of the scions' stories and that maybe even ties into the Trolley Problem feeling like such a doldrum for the MSQ. It's my one real complaint in an otherwise awesome expansion, though I've seen a few people complain about the night's blessed not being that interesting.

Minera fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 7, 2019

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I couldn't find an option right clicking on them, the only thing I found was going through the help ticket menu where there's an option for cheating.

The RMT shortcut only works if they use chat so you're not missing anything. This game is super bad about this sort of stuff. Even the RMT option takes 5 clicks and doesn't even auto-mute the person you're reporting so you get to click another 3 times to add them to your blacklist, which only works if they're actually online (for a while there one RMT company exploited this by having their bots immediately log off after posting their spam, then reappearing five minutes later for another round).

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
How do I unlock expert duty roulette in ShB? I've done both 80 dungeons and it still says "Completion of the following: ???"

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

frosteh posted:

How do I unlock expert duty roulette in ShB? I've done both 80 dungeons and it still says "Completion of the following: ???"

There are 3 level 80 dungeons.

1 MSQ
1 unlocks in Crystarium
1 unlocks in the slums under Eulmore

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Arist posted:

They recycle the Zenos thing of a bad rear end who wrecks you. At least Zenos didn't see you running off 5 miles away and attempt to channel some kung-fu hustle to airdash the distance straight to you. That was just silly

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
So you think we'll find a way to bring Ryne back to the Source with us?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Leal posted:

They recycle the Zenos thing of a bad rear end who wrecks you. At least Zenos didn't see you running off 5 miles away and attempt to channel some kung-fu hustle to airdash the distance straight to you. That was just silly

yeah zenos loving sucks.imagine if he could do cool martial arts poo poo

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I liked Ran'jit - more accurately, what he shows & represents. (early-to-late ShB spoilers) For one, I dig that we get a badass MNK NPC in the MSQ. I don't recall one since Livia, and she's more of a cool-looking meme than a threat. I also like how he establishes Eulmore as a force early on, and his animations are top notch. He also further distinguishes the WoL from the Scions, like the fight with him isn't the easiest but it's easier than when we're piloting Thancred. Even that fight reinforces how far Thancred's willing to go for Ryne, and it shows some growth, how he eventually processes understandable but also unfair feelings of failure & loss.

I don't disagree that Ran'jit is an uncomplicated character, but overall I think he works as part of the rollercoaster.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

ChaseSP posted:

yeah zenos loving sucks.imagine if he could do cool martial arts poo poo

Nobody with a rotary golf bag full of swords sucks.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Leal posted:

He's not quite a Zenos as you can match him blow for blow, there are always just aces up his sleeve and contextual reasons you can't finish him. In the first encounter for example your priority is to make sure Minfilia escapes with you safely and you don't have time to waste beating his rear end.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Leal posted:

My con for ShB story is killing Y'shtola again. Then bringing her to life again. C'mon.

I'm fairly sure half the reason for that was a gotcha moment for the players, considering Y'shtola spent the majority of both HW and SB out of the picture for one reason or another. Then surprise, snark cat is staying till the end this time.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
hey i gotta access my SE account to get my shadowbringers code, but i gotta reset the password, but when I do the "send an e-mail to reset my pw", i never get an email. but then i got an email because i was logging in too much to reset my password and i reset my password but it doesn't accept that new password. the gently caress gives?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

FF14 has never really had super amazing villains, for the most part. I'm playing through Stormblood right now, and both Zenos and Yotsoyu are just generically evil, horrible people. I just finished the Doma Castle dungeon, so at least one of them is done with.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Farg posted:

hey i gotta access my SE account to get my shadowbringers code, but i gotta reset the password, but when I do the "send an e-mail to reset my pw", i never get an email. but then i got an email because i was logging in too much to reset my password and i reset my password but it doesn't accept that new password. the gently caress gives?

One useful thing to know about SE's account management system is that they consider email addresses to be case-sensitive for some arcane reason.

That accounts for at least half of the "what the gently caress, I can't login despite using the right password" situations.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

BisbyWorl posted:

I'm fairly sure half the reason for that was a gotcha moment for the players, considering Y'shtola spent the majority of both HW and SB out of the picture for one reason or another. Then surprise, snark cat is staying till the end this time.

I hope the next expansion is snark cat along for the ride through everything. Everyone else has gotten their moments, it’s time to defeat Garlemald through the sheer power of her lack of social graces.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Vil posted:

One useful thing to know about SE's account management system is that they consider email addresses to be case-sensitive for some arcane reason.

That accounts for at least half of the "what the gently caress, I can't login despite using the right password" situations.

this wasn't it i found a similar but apparently different password reset page that worked

but now it wants whatever date i registered as my birthday like 8 years ago and I can't remember, so gently caress. I can't find any sort of support number anywhere on their website.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
the weird thing about SMN is that its one gimmick is that its supposed to out-AoE even BLM. but it can't even do that anymore. otehr than its mobility its worse in every way. and a well played BLM is ALSO more mobile!!

edit: and to add insult to injury, nu MCH fills its niche at a higher average DPS.

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte
Edit: whoops

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

Valleyant posted:

Shadowbringer spoilers
lol yoshimitsu's in for a long night.

Rajit and trolley town were by far the worst part of the expansion. It sucks that they'll shoehorn him back like with fordola and yotsu

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

FF14 has never really had super amazing villains, for the most part. I'm playing through Stormblood right now, and both Zenos and Yotsoyu are just generically evil, horrible people. I just finished the Doma Castle dungeon, so at least one of them is done with.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
End game MSQ spoilers, kind of: I kind of wish the level 80 DRK ability had an axe, although that would probably give away the game.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

CYBEReris posted:

He's not quite a Zenos as you can match him blow for blow, there are always just aces up his sleeve and contextual reasons you can't finish him. In the first encounter for example your priority is to make sure Minfilia escapes with you safely and you don't have time to waste beating his rear end.

Yeah, that was why I was able to swallow Ran'jit a lot better in comparison. With all of my fights with him, I never felt completely outclassed, but rather "man, this dude is loving tough and this is a close match." Zenos spends the entire game going "NOPE", shrugging off all attacks for the entire expansion, and then gets bodied at Ala Mhigo unceremoniously.

I was pretty much the same way, and I came out of ShB being like "... the mad men have done it" in terms of making an actually pretty good villain

Also, check back in when you're about to start ShB as well

MechaX fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 7, 2019

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Minrad posted:

For sure. He's supposed to be a foil to Thancred, but I feel like mini-Minfilia's plot was pretty weakly handled over all. She randomly starts getting upset in the second half of Il Mheg over how useless she is and I'm like, huh? what? you do more damage than alisae and gimme trick attack in dungeons, you're loving owning, and you're even helping me out on the generic fetch quest. in what way are you letting anyone down? I feel like if Ran'jit did a better job actually tracking her down and had some better explanation of raising past Minfilias he could have been a lot better, in a Dad vs Step-Dad way, but he just feels like a generic roadblock on the way to Vauthry.

I do like Dad-cred a lot, but his plot with Ryne felt like the weakest of the scions' stories and that maybe even ties into the Trolley Problem feeling like such a doldrum for the MSQ. It's my one real complaint in an otherwise awesome expansion, though I've seen a few people complain about the night's blessed not being that interesting.

I dunno, I rather liked how that plot played out. Thancred's feelings re Minfilia are obviously pretty complicated, and as a result he can be pretty terse when talking to Mini-filia. She misinterprets this as anger directed at her, ends up blaming her self-perceived inadequacy for Dad being mad, then in response tries to work harder to win his approval. She gains her self confidence when she meets with Source Minfilia and accepts that she is her own person with the blessing of the lady she thought she was doomed to live in the shadow of (Thancred should have chilled out a bit before she got her makeover, but maybe he'll work on being a cool dad now that his own hang-ups are gone).

As for dungeons, she can feel better about her contributions once she learns how to AoE!

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

The new expansion is much better than everything before, be excited!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Farg posted:

but now it wants whatever date i registered as my birthday like 8 years ago and I can't remember, so gently caress. I can't find any sort of support number anywhere on their website.

... Did you try your birthdate?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Zenos is both t h i c c and t h e b e s t

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MechaX posted:

Yeah, that was why I was able to swallow Ran'jit a lot better in comparison. With all of my fights with him, I never felt completely outclassed, but rather "man, this dude is loving tough and this is a close match." Zenos spends the entire game going "NOPE", shrugging off all attacks for the entire expansion, and then gets bodied at Ala Mhigo unceremoniously.

Even then he just says NOPE and walks off to go join with Shinryu. And isn't remotely dead even now.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I agree, Zenos is good.

Speaking of Ran'jit though, I did the lvl 80 healer role quest and in the epic finale where you're putting dwarven helmets on sin eaters the name of your buddy's ability where they do that was :discourse:

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Shaking my head at people that don’t like Zenos or Rak’Tika Greatwood

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Kanfy posted:

I agree, Zenos is good.

Speaking of Ran'jit though, I did the lvl 80 healer role quest and in the epic finale where you're putting dwarven helmets on sin eaters the name of your buddy's ability where they do that was :discourse:

The healer role quest is loving amazing and Giott is our beautiful dwarf offspring and I will hear nothing bad said about them.

Thundarr posted:

I dunno, I rather liked how that plot played out. Thancred's feelings re Minfilia are obviously pretty complicated, and as a result he can be pretty terse when talking to Mini-filia. She misinterprets this as anger directed at her, ends up blaming her self-perceived inadequacy for Dad being mad, then in response tries to work harder to win his approval. She gains her self confidence when she meets with Source Minfilia and accepts that she is her own person with the blessing of the lady she thought she was doomed to live in the shadow of (Thancred should have chilled out a bit before she got her makeover, but maybe he'll work on being a cool dad now that his own hang-ups are gone).

As for dungeons, she can feel better about her contributions once she learns how to AoE!

I was actually pretty okay with Thancred’s fakeout because if you weren’t at least in pretty big fear for his life, then the idea of him finally being willing to put himself and his baggage with original Minfilia aside to help the little girl who needs him right now wouldn’t have hit home as hard as it did.

I’m having trouble remembering what the third fakeout death was, but I wanted to mention as an aside that the scene right after the battle of Lakeland with Lyna’s stoic facade breaking was the first time I teared up during the story. It’s fantastic character writing that shows us who Lyna is without trying to explain any of it. Definitely agree with whoever upthread mentioned that voice acting because it was hella good.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 7, 2019

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Another new AST question; once you've got the three seals, do you just Minor Arcana every draw after that? It doesn't look like there's a downside, and for some reason I thought Minor Arcana had a cooldown but it doesn't.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Your Computer posted:

Another new AST question; once you've got the three seals, do you just Minor Arcana every draw after that? It doesn't look like there's a downside, and for some reason I thought Minor Arcana had a cooldown but it doesn't.

Yes. They actually moved the level you get Minor Arcana way down from the 60s to 50 to facilitate this because otherwise you'd screw up your seals every time you played a card.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I wish I could still bring Lyna and G'raha Tia with me in Trust dungeons after finishing the game.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I’m having trouble remembering what the third fakeout death was, but I wanted to mention as an aside that the scene right after the battle of Lakeland with Lyna’s stoic facade breaking was the first time I teared up during the story. It’s fantastic character writing that shows us who Lyna is without trying to explain any of it. Definitely agree with whoever upthread mentioned that voice acting because it was hella good.

The three fakeouts I can think of are Thancred, Y'shtola, and G'raha getting shot.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mister No posted:

I think I'm just gonna go back to SCH and leveling WHM, because I genuinely cannot function as DPS classes in this game.

DPS classes in FF14 seem to require a level of focus that is just impossible for me, at least to perform them efficiently in difficult encounters while also dealing with mechanics. I can more or less do things correctly, but then I hear people talking about awful it is to wast a GCD or whatever. My mind just can't focus on multiple things at the same time, and most FF14 rotations can't be done through muscle memory (since they require paying attention to meters - this was my issue with RDM; even though it's rotation is very simple, it requires you keep an eye on the black/white magic bars, and it's tough for me to do that while also dealing with mechanics).

All this being said, I feel like a lot of the discussion about playing DPS optimally is only relevant to people who are pretty hardcore and have already gotten the mechanics of an encounter down to a science. I feel like there's probably more to be gained from focusing on the mechanics and staying alive than caring about mistakenly firing off a Fuma Shuriken when you should have used Raiton or whatever.

Part of the reason I like healers (or at least WHM and SCH, can't speak for AST) is that they seem to be the only classes where rotations aren't really a thing, and it's more about reactively using abilities. SCH is particularly good for this, since it can mostly leave "maintenance" healing to the fairy and only usually needs to deal with the big attacks. That being said, it can be a bit boring. I'm curious to try the updated DRK in dungeons; I'm going to be using it as my leveling class for the ShB MSQ.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Rhonne , You should flag the context of your spoiler if you’re gonna drop a name not mentioned until the final act.

[Edit] I hate you so much, phone keyboard and autocorrect

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 7, 2019

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mulva posted:

End game MSQ spoilers, kind of: I kind of wish the level 80 DRK ability had an axe, although that would probably give away the game.

What? No.

What?

Did you not do any DRK quests?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So just to confirm, the new BLM rotation is:

Thunder 3 -> Fire 3 -> Sharpcast -> Fire 4x3 -> Fire 1 -> Fire4x3 (use Sharpcasted Fire 3 if you need to move) -> Despair -> Fire 3 (if not used before) -> Blizzard 3 -> Xenoglossy -> Blizzard 4 Repeat?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Smith Comma John posted:

One role quest story beat that I don't understand: I thought Ardbert's companions returned to the First as shades and sacrificed themselves alongside Minfilia. How do they become sin eaters in the role quests? I guess they could have left behind bodies that got possessed, but the sin eaters show behaviors from the companions so that doesn't seem right.

It's somewhat explained that the cardinal sins are just the bodies of the warriors of light taken over by sin eaters, but they still had their crystals full of their memories on them and that guides the otherwise mindless sin eaters.