Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Are you all spoiling the next season of Riverdale?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Archie vs Sharknado was also a thing I read

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018

CharlestheHammer posted:

Also do to the nature of being in that universe superheroes have to just keep letting him go, even if they shake their fist at him with halfhearted disgust

Also, because of being in a never-ending continuity, he will never kill all 'bad guys' ever.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

muscles like this! posted:

There is some media pushback starting to happen. In the Netflix season of Lucifer (where the literal Devil works with the LAPD) they had an episode where one of the characters (who is black) is almost shot by the cops just for asking questions when they show up to arrest a young black man that he was helping.

That episode hurt when I got to it. Poor Amanadiel, learning a really hard lesson about the shittiness of humanity. Poor kid dying for no good reason at all and spending his last days being treated like poo poo before it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Are you all spoiling the next season of Riverdale?!

The crazy thing is that, between the Punisher and Predator Archie crossovers, it's the Punisher one that wouldn't work if directly adapted to Riverdale.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mamkute posted:

Also, because of being in a never-ending continuity, he will never kill all 'bad guys' ever.

There was a punisher kills the marvel universe.

It’s just several books of punisher killing everyone then I think himself

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
please go back to making this the de facto 4th star trek thead thanks

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

What if the enterprise got a distress call and it was the punisher needing a ride?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Pick posted:

please go back to making this the de facto 4th star trek thead thanks

one time there was a comic where star trek crossed over with x-men and it was 100% just so they could make a joke about someone saying 'dr mccoy' and the one dr mccoy from each franchise both thinking they're the one being called

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

CharlestheHammer posted:

There was a punisher kills the marvel universe.

It’s just several books of punisher killing everyone then I think himself

It was a pretty loving stupid book, too.

IIRC he tricked the X-Men and Magneto's forces into going to the moon so he could nuke it and wipe out all the most dangerous mutants at once. :sigh:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Vandar posted:

It was a pretty loving stupid book, too.

IIRC he tricked the X-Men and Magneto's forces into going to the moon so he could nuke it and wipe out all the most dangerous mutants at once. :sigh:

All the ___ kills the universe series are extremely stupid.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

CharlestheHammer posted:

All the ___ kills the universe series are extremely stupid.

Yeah but at least it works for Deadpool because he's Deadpool, so it's like 'sure why not'.

The Punisher story is just Garth Ennis jerking off over how much he hates superheroes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Squirrel Girl Beats Up the Marvel Universe is great, however.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Ironically the best Punisher story is punisher Vs. the Marvel universe which is about Zombies but the main theme of the story is how much the punisher sucks

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

Ironically the best Punisher story is punisher Vs. the Marvel universe which is about Zombies but the main theme of the story is how much the punisher sucks

Cause he causes it basically.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Cops shouldn't try to emulate the Punisher largely because he is a fictional character.

Shortened it a little bit there.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

But....that’s a really dumb point

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Remember when literal Supreme Court justices argued that torture was ok because Jack Bauer did it?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Yeah cuz it always worked

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Brother Entropy posted:

one time there was a comic where star trek crossed over with x-men and it was 100% just so they could make a joke about someone saying 'dr mccoy' and the one dr mccoy from each franchise both thinking they're the one being called

It actually happened twice, once with TOS (for that joke) and then with TNG.

And that's not including any of the several novels that carried on from those comics.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The Punisher always read to me as a tragic sort of character, in that his existence—both in the sense that society failed to save his family and also that it failed to notice and treat Frank’s mental issues early on—is because society is fundamentally broken. The Punisher isn’t fun, he isn’t cool, and even if he’s going after the bad guys it’s a problem because he shouldn’t even loving exist in the first place and the very fact that he does is a sign that something went wrong a long time ago.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like the Punisher prequel Born where a young Frank Castle makes a deal with a voice in his head (the devil? The grim reaper? Just himself?) that the war never needs to end and he can keep killing forever as long as he sacrifices his family.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

christmas boots posted:

The Punisher always read to me as a tragic sort of character, in that his existence—both in the sense that society failed to save his family and also that it failed to notice and treat Frank’s mental issues early on—is because society is fundamentally broken.
I never finished the Netflix series but the first few minutes were brutal. He worked an extremely physically taxing job to get out his aggression, to the point where his coworkers thought he was slow because they just pointed him at a wall and he just hammered the gently caress away at it until it wasn't a wall anymore. Then he went home to an efficiency studio that was, like, a toilet, a sink, and an oven stuffed into a space the size of a walk-in closet. Nothing glamorous there.

I'm also a fan of the takedown that said "The Punisher is what happens when a white man thinks his family's the only recorded casually of gang related crime"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

christmas boots posted:

The Punisher always read to me as a tragic sort of character, in that his existence—both in the sense that society failed to save his family and also that it failed to notice and treat Frank’s mental issues early on—is because society is fundamentally broken. The Punisher isn’t fun, he isn’t cool, and even if he’s going after the bad guys it’s a problem because he shouldn’t even loving exist in the first place and the very fact that he does is a sign that something went wrong a long time ago.

That was kind of the point of the character, really. He obviously had the potential to go down that path but he didn't do it until people he cared about were murdered. You're supposed to sympathize with him and be all like "well I understand that motivation but hopefully I can never go off the deep end that far." You get that he's basically every revenge fantasy cranked up to 11 but at the same time you're like "nah dude, too far. Murdering bad people is still murder." In some ways he's also a cautionary tale as when the normal channels of justice break down you start getting vigilantes and mob justice. Those things are bad. You can kind of sort of see him as an anti-hero but even then he's not really a hero. His motivations are 100% revenge and he's dedicated his life entirely to what is literally murder. He's supposed to be kind of ambiguous as he leaves regular people alone and only fucks up the underworld but the other side of it is that he also fundamentally became everything he hated.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

John Murdoch posted:

It actually happened twice, once with TOS (for that joke) and then with TNG.

And that's not including any of the several novels that carried on from those comics.

One of those novels, as I recall, remarked on the resemblance between Jean-Luc Picard and Professor X.

The book was published before the X-Men movies.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

oldpainless posted:

Yeah cuz it always worked

24 almost works as criticism of torture. The "good" guys frequently tortures innocent people and when they catch the bad guys the only way to make them talk is to make a deal with them.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

FreudianSlippers posted:

I like the Punisher prequel Born where a young Frank Castle makes a deal with a voice in his head (the devil? The grim reaper? Just himself?) that the war never needs to end and he can keep killing forever as long as he sacrifices his family.

That was part of the Max imprint

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I would recommend the Garth Ennis run of Punisher MAX which makes up four volumes and not bother with volume 5 which is where the series got silly and cancelled, and this is a comic where Frank feeds a cruise ship full of loan sharks to actual sharks.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Always liked the interpretation that Batman, a child who saw his family murdered, goes on to do a child's idea of vengeance, while the Punisher has the same situation and does a man's idea of vengeance.

Of course, Batman basically becoming the Punisher in a slightly different universe is so standard to him it's basically his own version of 'Superman takes over the world'.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I always liked the idea that Gotham was so corrupt that a man dressing as a bat fighting against it is the only way to make people pay attention to the problem.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
I’ve been reading a book on Golden Age villainess and I thought I’d seen everything but this is the worst

(trigger warning for horrific transphobia)

“He/She” a villainess who’s right half of the body is a thuggish gangster while their left half is a seductive femme fatale.

The writer claims that “The deadliest of the species is the female! The strongest of the species is the male! Combine these with the killer instinct and you have the most cunning, the most vicious, the most fiendish killer of all time!”

He/She’s crimes included concealing the left half of their body while seducing and marrying wealthy women only to reveal themselves and murder the women as soon as they’ve signed over all their money while cackling “You’re going to pay for your curiosity!”

The story ends with them sobbing and screaming as their dragged to the electric chair.

Jesus Christ

https://io9.gizmodo.com/meet-he-she-the-most-unsung-comic-book-villain-ever-5878706

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The only good Punisher is the War Zone movie where he's a ridiculous farce who kicks chair legs into the throat of elderly women before blowing a dude up with a rocket launcher as the dude Parkour flips between two buildings.

They got the actor who played Punisher for the kids cartoon, Super Hero Squad, where he snarls out this rant about how crime is like gross vegetables that your parents make you eat. It's awesome

The punisher is an awful character if played even 1% straight

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I can't stop laughing at the thought of someone MARRYING a person and only ever seeing one side of their face. Not even a half mask or anything. "With this hat, overcoat and never looking straight AT people, I have the perfect disguise!"

Don't mean to detail the conversation but this kind of ties in to something I noticed recently: these days even children's entertainment relies a lot more on actually well thought out and complex plots than it did several years ago. What exactly changed? Did fiction writers suddenly decide to stop treating their audience like utter morons?

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 21:02 on Jul 8, 2019

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

AceOfFlames posted:

I can't stop laughing at the thought of someone MARRYING a person and only ever seeing one side of their face. Not even a half mask or anything. "With this hat, overcoat and never looking straight AT people, I have the perfect disguise!"

Don't mean to detail the conversation but this kind of ties in to something I noticed recently: these days even children's entertainment relies a lot more on actually well thought out and complex thoughts than it did several years ago. What exactly changed? Did fiction writers suddenly decide to stop treating their audience like utter morons?

Probably tv is now being made by a generation that grew up with the slightly smarter kids tv that came in the 90s, and that’s influenced their sensibility now that they’re making tv. So like the animated Batman and Gargoyles set their sense of what’s normal for kids, like how 90s kids’ tv had all kinds of touches from Rocky and Bullwinkle or Hanna Barbera.

There’s a slightly different version of this at play in how many versions of Homer Simpson have populated kids cartoons in the last 10 years.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Nckdictator posted:

I’ve been reading a book on Golden Age villainess and I thought I’d seen everything but this is the worst

“He/She” a villainess who’s right half of the body is a thuggish gangster while their left half is a seductive femme fatale.

The writer claims that “The deadliest of the species is the female! The strongest of the species is the male! Combine these with the killer instinct and you have the most cunning, the most vicious, the most fiendish killer of all time!”

He/She’s crimes included concealing the left half of their body while seducing and marrying wealthy women only to reveal themselves and murder the women as soon as they’ve signed over all their money while cackling “You’re going to pay for your curiosity!”

The story ends with them sobbing and screaming as their dragged to the electric chair.

Jesus Christ

https://io9.gizmodo.com/meet-he-she-the-most-unsung-comic-book-villain-ever-5878706

Sometimes it’s a trip to read those old ones. Not too long ago I was reading a Golden Age comic from 1940 and at one point the female sidekick gets one-up on the gangsters and has them at gunpoint and warns them “get gay and I’ll blast you.”

Obviously the meaning was different back then, but it’s probably still one of the most amazing lines I’ve ever seen on the page.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Lmao, how can you bring up He-She from the article and not talk about the hero of the comic, Crimebuster?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Nckdictator posted:

Jesus Christ

"This is the story of a thing."

"A person? Yes. With a soul? No!"

Jesus Christ

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bogus Adventure posted:

Lmao, how can you bring up He-She from the article and not talk about the hero of the comic, Crimebuster?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bogus Adventure posted:

So a twink fights to keep a trans villainess incarcerated. Pretty good metaphor for the queer rights movement over the last half-century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
My wife and I just finished running through all 11 seasons of Cheers.

It's been mentioned a lot of times, but of course Sam's behavior seems absurd as poo poo nowadays. Season 6 stands out a bit more to me. He's no longer the owner of the bar, gets his job back as a favor, and proceeds to harass the poo poo out of Rebecca week after week. Guy would be on the street by the end of day one in real life.

There were also more than a few episodes with odd "LOL YOU GAY" jokes that were pretty cringey now that I know 20 year old me didn't even flinch at when the episodes aired.

Additional things that didn't age well? Every single sweater worn by Sam, Woody , and Frasier. Holy poo poo. Episode after episode, and I don't think they ever got better.

Positive side notes:

I seemed to be in the minority opinion when the episodes aired and might still be, but two things I still maintain.
Coach was better than Woody. Harrelson was great, but Nicholas Colasanto was borderline perfect. Anybody want a Mai Tai!?
Diane was better than Rebecca. At some point - season 7-8 or so, they Homer'd Rebecca hard and turned her from an up an coming smart business woman into a bumbling money chasing dumb rear end. Kirstie Alley was really really good at it, but it kinda annoyed me. I just prefer the antagonistic Sam/Diane relationship more than the Sam/Rebecca story arc.

If you asked me who the best barfly was before this run through, I would have said Norm no doubt. I would be wrong. Cliff was way way funnier.

And a big thumbs up to Bebe Neuwirth as well. Lilith was pretty much great every time she appeared. A question to anyone that might know. Frasier and Lilith were definitely shown arguing about things here and there in the show, but the divorce plot turn in the last season felt pretty sudden. Anyone know if this was written in due to Kelsey Grammar having lined up the Frasier spinoff by that time and the show knowing that he was supposed to be divorced by the time he got to Seattle?

Also - oh my God was Dan Hedaya amazing at Nick Tortelli. I can understand why someone would hate the character, but he slayed me more or less every time he was on the show. I simultaneously understand that giving that character his own spinoff was laughably dumb, as it's probably only good in small doses (See: Chris Elliot) but he was just so good at playing the boorish Ex.

Bonus WTF moment - Looking up the actress that played Loretta and finding that it was Kasey Kasem's widow.

Lastly - Timothy Williams as Anthony Tortelli had Nick's mannerisms down so well I had to look up the actor to see if he was related to Hedaya.