Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I hope it's nothing like Skyrim, because that game has the worst level up system I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Oblivion

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Well, that's basically the same thing, but less popular.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Rinkles posted:

When I was armchair designing a cyberpunk game system, I had the idea of having intuited (ones you'd learn from experience or know naturally) and downloaded proficiencies, with the latter taking up slots in a shared pool (like RAM for skills). So you could download any skill, but you couldn't have too many at once, and some skills might take up too many slots (your build would determine these limits). With enough experience you could change a downloaded skill into an intuited skill, so it wouldn't clog up your DL pool.

In the PnP version of 2020, if a character has the appropriate neural implant they can use 'chips' (literal memory chips) of any skill (not a base attribute like strength, cool, etc. a skill is a subset of attributes, and acts as a + modifier to it. So, say your INT is 5, and you have a Japanese skill of 5, and you need to roll to pass being able to read/understand something in Japanese, you get a (5+5=) +10 modifier to your roll).

You could use between 1-3 of these 'chips' on any one skill. So, someone who in no way knew Japanese, could slap in 3 chips, and go from a base of 5 (their INT) to an 8 (5 from INT, +3 from the chips).

If you were speaking to someone who was a native speaker, say, you would (probably) NEVER pass as someone who 'knew' Japanese. If the 'chipped in' (GET IT?!?!) skill set was for, say, 'playing guitar', or 'handgun repair', the idea was that you would, at most, know the fundamental basics known to everyone with a base knowledge of the skill learned 'naturally'. Since a lot of people used these chips, and the 'skills' they imparted were pretty rote, it was easy to suss out who was faking knowing what they were trying to do just by what they were doing, since it was essentially pre-programmed stuff all the time. The chips were hot-swappable, and you retained 0 benefit to the skills previously 'chipped in'. You essentially 'forget' any skill you had in that area as soon as it's gone.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I hope the game has a screen with numbers on it and I can choose the numbers that go up.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Back on the GitS train, it's wild that you can go on fan wikis to see how the continuity was decided and people take seriously the 100% cyborg Major's statements that she's having hacking trouble because she's on her period. Amazing. The woman hasn't had a uterus since early childhood and yet somebody seriously wrote on the wiki that she has trouble with hacking when it's that time of the month. Imagine being that kind of person.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

JBP posted:

I hope the game has a screen with numbers on it and I can choose the numbers that go up.

Sadly no, these have all been replaced by QTEs revolving around your emotional state and later reflected by changes in mood lighting throughout the world.

Arglebargle III posted:

Back on the GitS train, it's wild that you can go on fan wikis to see how the continuity was decided and people take seriously the 100% cyborg Major's statements that she's having hacking trouble because she's on her period. Amazing. The woman hasn't had a uterus since early childhood and yet somebody seriously wrote on the wiki that she has trouble with hacking when it's that time of the month. Imagine being that kind of person.

I don't want to imagine reading fan wikis about anime and deciding whether statements about cartoon uterus' are accurate enough to judge them.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 6, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Used based growth systems are fine. It means you never get locked out of doing something if you decide you want to, and if there are trainers like every other game that is uses a similar system by mid to late game you'll be able to do whatever you want.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Bust Rodd posted:

Imagine how many insane rich kid massacres there would be if CHUD incels could just steal mommy & daddy’s credit card and download Jet Li Kung-Fu and Christian Bale’s Gun Kata and take out like 30-40 people at a time. I mean look at how much damage rich psychos can cause with automatic weapons and basically no training, how would we ever put a cap on it if every spoiled brat is a nuclear supervillain?

Edit: gently caress, beaten by Big Beef City but the point still stands.

Well, in the original 2020 tabletop game there was only so high you could get your skill, plus having to have the skill on a chip plugged into your BioUSB array, so you could only have maybe a half dozen on the go at a time. The available skill levels were from 1 (base skill: you can hold and fire a gun and vaguely hit a target,) to 3 (basic competence: you have some familiarity with the different firearms, recoil, drop, aim drift, etc, but you're not even on the level of a combat veteran.) The main explanation for this was that the disparity of body shapes, types, weight, height, different ways of processing, retaining, and retrieving information and skills is unique to everyone. It's more like browsing Wikipedia articles on the subject matter than having the skills intuitively at your fingertips. The costs go up as well, so even if you were rich and connected enough to commission a higher level of Kung Fu Skill 5 or whatever the costs involved are beyond the resources of the average CyberPunk, so you're better off learning the skills naturally. The other main tabletop cyberpunk RPG, Shadowrun by FASA Games, had skillwire implants that were capable of much more skill, at a cost that scaled accordingly, but again: investing resources in them weren't usually the best route.

The flavour text in the game did dwell on the idea of taking some tabula rasa vat grown schmoe, load them up with the latest and greatest implants and skills, and use them as a CyberJason Bourne. Pretty scary.

And to contribute to the chat about proficiencies, I'm okay with them as long as the progression isn't onerous for the first few levels. I'm okay with some grind/practice/study to get to neater tricks V would be able to do.

Lars Blitzer fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 6, 2019

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Nah Oblivion's is significantly worse.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Arglebargle III posted:

The woman hasn't had a uterus since early childhood and yet somebody seriously wrote on the wiki that she has trouble with hacking when it's that time of the month. Imagine being that kind of person.

Imagine being the CinemaSins clickbait factory drone who dinged GitS because they don't understand obvious sarcasm, then dinged it again for the police having POLICE written on their uniforms in English just as real Japanese police sometimes do.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

For more music talk, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Juda Priest - Turbo Lover

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Back Hack posted:

For more music talk, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Juda Priest - Turbo Lover

Deffo modding that one in for my bike-only playthrough.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

steinrokkan posted:

Nah, they were very different. Like, as bad as Skyrim's was, it's leveling system as a massive improvement over Oblivion.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh did anyone mention Justice yet for heavier electronica?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qXmxVySMzw

Richter Scabies
Dec 30, 2012

yo mamma a Horus posted:

I can't wait to look awesome reloading my shotgun, because i will become a shotgun master.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

Back Hack posted:

For that matter, Billy Idol. He made an album called Cyberpunk. It was back in the mid 90's, so it's pretty dated, but there are gems on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX6GMulgCIU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx2fZU5USus

As for more modern artists I'd recommend most Industrial bands like VNV Nation, Nitzer Ebb, Eisenfunk, CombiChrist, Covenant, Komor Kommando, Front Line Assembly, Icon of Coil, and iVardensphere, among others. I'd be very much surprised if they don't contribute to the soundtrack, or release remixes thereof.

The Huge Manatee
Mar 27, 2014

Lars Blitzer posted:

For that matter, Billy Idol. He made an album called Cyberpunk. It was back in the mid 90's, so it's pretty dated, but there are gems on it.

He's still releasing stuff to this day, I really like this one from 2008:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJZp8cJuDj8

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Billy Idol demanding music journos read Neuromancer before interviewing him without realising that meant they would ask them things about a book he's never read will never not be funny to me.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Zikan posted:

If skills meaningfully affect your damage and handling of weapons, it’s going to silo you hard into one or two gun categories if the skill progression from combat isn’t generous enough to allow you to switch midway through the game. it could lead to possibly just having you stuck with what weapons you decided in the beginning before you knew anything about the combat since usage based skills rule out a respec system

So it sucks because you are referring to mechanics that you just pulled out of the air?

There is no reason this can't work just fine if the surrounding game mechanics are designed in a way that compliments it.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Lars Blitzer posted:

As for more modern artists I'd recommend most Industrial bands like VNV Nation, Nitzer Ebb, Eisenfunk, CombiChrist, Covenant, Komor Kommando, Front Line Assembly, Icon of Coil, and iVardensphere, among others. I'd be very much surprised if they don't contribute to the soundtrack, or release remixes thereof.

Yeah, as much as I love electronica/synthwave, it'd be a fuckin crime for them to not have any heavy metal, industrial, or EBM. The music fits, as does the aesthetic. Give me something harder and more distorted guitars.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
I hope the ending of Cyberpunk 2077 allows me to pick between the red, green or blue ending. Unfortunately I think CDPR will disappoint me on this front

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

VoLaTiLe posted:

I hope the ending of Cyberpunk 2077 allows me to pick between the red, green or blue ending. Unfortunately I think CDPR will disappoint me on this front

*Monkey's paw curls up* You get it, but it turns out to actually be product placement for which future cyberware you take to the last mission: AMD's, NVidia's or Intel's.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

VoLaTiLe posted:

Choombatta are YOU in the right place

JBP posted:

Big Beef City posted:

Sadly no, these have all been replaced by QTEs revolving around your emotional state and later reflected by changes in mood lighting throughout the world.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

OniPanda posted:

Yeah, as much as I love electronica/synthwave, it'd be a fuckin crime for them to not have any heavy metal, industrial, or EBM. The music fits, as does the aesthetic. Give me something harder and more distorted guitars.

Not the least reason for that is that in my experience most Industrial musicians are huge fellow nerds. For example, I've met Daniel Olsén and Tobias Carlsson of the band Interlace years ago when they performed here in Edmonton, recognized the Johnny the Homicidal Maniac t shirt I was wearing, and when I mentioned liking the remix they did of "Rain of Brass Petals" from the Silent Hill 3 soundtrack they marked out about working with Akira Yamaoka. If you think musicians who make their career out of composing and performing songs about themes of alienation, future dystopia, and Raging Against the Machine in whatever form the Machine may take wouldn't jump at the chance at working with CD Projekt Red on the soundtrack then you don't know them very well. I'd be very much surprised if in the months surrounding the game's release there isn't a multiple CD remix soundtrack set, complete with codes to unlock them in game.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I still say any game that lets you play music in-universe needs to let you make a custom playlist. GTA and MGS V did it!

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Lars Blitzer posted:

Front Line Assembly is pretty awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBIWW2bwfwk

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Just saw the zip gun. :stonk:

They have to make the carbine-mounted zip gun an ingame option.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Pharohman777 posted:

What vid was this in?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

They should absolutely get Billain involved, he's a massive cyberpunk nerd and heavy as sin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ6QjjdTlwE part of an art project he worked on based on the dark scifi series BLAME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZvbIyLF0Jk weird audiovisual collab thing

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

The_White_Crane posted:

What vid was this in?

https://youtu.be/Y3fd4goVs-4

https://youtu.be/X9bULArrKs4

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

Pharohman777 posted:

Why? Just to have an example of a commercial product no one in their right mind would use, except that the company involved sunk time and money throughout its development cycle and now it's been focus tested to death so they've gone for media saturation in the hopes that sales would justify its position in their catalog? Actually, I could see CD Projekt Red doing just that, and having really sarcastic flavour text about it calling out other gaming companies without naming them outright (got to avoid getting sued for slander.) Name the manufacturer something like Nokami (they've stopped making firearms, instead concentrating on pachinko games of all things!) Arlington (initially named after the town it's headquartered in, their guns are a buggy mess, but still beloved for some reason) or Ballistic Arts (most well known for buying out smaller companies, redirecting them to make guns that are completely different from what they've previously done well, like when they took over MediStock and had them develop and manufacture a battle rifle when previously they've made solid and dependable hunting rifles.) Just enough of an in joke to make us chuckle.

As a matter of fact, the tabletop Cyberpunk 2020 had a short series of small supplement "magazines" with similarly esoteric stuff. One article was about the smaller caliber "disposable gun" available on the market. Cheap, easy to get a hold of, and of middling quality at best.

Lars Blitzer fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 8, 2019

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I’m chuckling already

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You can't post about forgotten weapons badguns without the ultimate badgun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnpOis10NyQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYf1SXBY_E4

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I came across a link to this gallery of Evangelion UI bits, and it's very cyberpunk. Here's some samples:

:giggity:

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
The best bits of NGE was the cool NERV tech and the mic of current/near future military stuff

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

jarlywarly posted:

The best bits of NGE was the cool NERV tech and the mic of current/near future military stuff

Uh no the best parts were the giant robots beating aliens into bloody paste wtf

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The best part was father.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Best part was Shiji Silverpalms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU