Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Even though I do run my meetings thru the studio audio sometimes just to make my co-workers jealous :v:

I thought I was the only one who ran my Royer R-10 through an EMI channel strip and juuuuust a touch of reverb for my weekly standup every now and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

just lol if you don't use an autotune for your meetings

in other news, job decided to take away the wfh that my team has had forever, despite my team being the highest performing in the company. I've developed some anxiety issues, which makes coming into the office every day a no-go. I just got my letter from the doc saying its probably not safe for me to drive to work every day just in time for them to relocate the office to an area with laughable public transit

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Agrikk posted:

I thought I was the only one who ran my Royer R-10 through an EMI channel strip and juuuuust a touch of reverb for my weekly standup every now and then.

I run my mic thru an Avalon preamp and a Chandler Ltd Germanium sometimes. It's such overkill, especially as compressed as the audio is on a meeting stream, but lol :v:

RFC2324 posted:

just lol if you don't use an autotune for your meetings

Haha, oh poo poo, that's what I should do next.

RFC2324 posted:

in other news, job decided to take away the wfh that my team has had forever, despite my team being the highest performing in the company. I've developed some anxiety issues, which makes coming into the office every day a no-go. I just got my letter from the doc saying its probably not safe for me to drive to work every day just in time for them to relocate the office to an area with laughable public transit

Geezus, that's a terrible policy. Some parts of my company have been rumbling about that, but my boss lives 2 hours from the office and has a good track record of telling upper management to gently caress off with bad ideas, so I have some confidence in him keeping poo poo running status quo. Can you use the doctor's recommendation as a bargaining chip?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I know there are people here who work from home with kids, does anyone have experience soundproofing a home office? I'm reading mixed reviews of stuff like that soundproofing foam. My job involves a lot of being on the phone and occasionally I can WFH when needed, but a place that I might be staying has a baby, and I really don't want a crying baby coming over the phone on a business call.

Foam relies on thickness to muffle sound, and muffles higher frequency sounds much better than lower frequency ones. If you don’t have space for foam and want something that will kill across a broader sound range, look at the sound deafening material they make for cars. It’s a thin sheet like mat with a sticky side, and uses high density and heavy weight to reduce sound passing through. It’ll be pricier, but can be very effective if you don’t mind glueing something to your wall.

You could also look at the cork board wall sheet ( goes under the brand walltalker ) as a sound deadened with some utility

You can also get sheetrock for sound deadening in various grades and abilities, but it means redoing all the drywall.

You will also need to investigate sound gaps, like poorly fitting doors, vents, cheap window fittings, empty ceiling space, etc.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I run my mic thru an Avalon preamp and a Chandler Ltd Germanium sometimes. It's such overkill, especially as compressed as the audio is on a meeting stream, but lol :v:

Haha, oh poo poo, that's what I should do next.

Geezus, that's a terrible policy. Some parts of my company have been rumbling about that, but my boss lives 2 hours from the office and has a good track record of telling upper management to gently caress off with bad ideas, so I have some confidence in him keeping poo poo running status quo. Can you use the doctor's recommendation as a bargaining chip?

Almost everyone in the company thinks its a terrible idea, and my boss was laughing when I told him I was talking to my doc about it because half the team is likely to follow suit, making the whole policy counterproductive because now we have the ammo to push back if they want to use it as a "behave or we take it away" the way they have before.

And yeah, either they work with me like they said they would or becomes an ADA issue, since I have a C-PTSD diagnosis, one of my coworkers has a PTSD diagnosis as a combat vet, and at least one other person has fairly severe social anxiety issues. I'm just the first one to realize we CAN push back.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

RFC2324 posted:

Almost everyone in the company thinks its a terrible idea, and my boss was laughing when I told him I was talking to my doc about it because half the team is likely to follow suit, making the whole policy counterproductive because now we have the ammo to push back if they want to use it as a "behave or we take it away" the way they have before.

And yeah, either they work with me like they said they would or becomes an ADA issue, since I have a C-PTSD diagnosis, one of my coworkers has a PTSD diagnosis as a combat vet, and at least one other person has fairly severe social anxiety issues. I'm just the first one to realize we CAN push back.

Keep fighting the good fight. The only way we get rights as workers is to explain what we want and not be satisfied til we get it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Keep fighting the good fight. The only way we get rights as workers is to explain what we want and not be satisfied til we get it.

poo poo, I am not reliably safe to drive. I am not risking my life by driving into work while I am dissociating, and if they have a problem with that I'll just have to lawyer up.

I doubt I will, I accidentally got the HR director involved and he's being super cool about it, so hopefully they see its in their own best interest not make the allowance.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I know there are people here who work from home with kids, does anyone have experience soundproofing a home office? I'm reading mixed reviews of stuff like that soundproofing foam. My job involves a lot of being on the phone and occasionally I can WFH when needed, but a place that I might be staying has a baby, and I really don't want a crying baby coming over the phone on a business call.

First things first, get the loudest mechanical keyboard possible. Place your mic close to that while on speakerphone. That is apparently what my boss does.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CitizenKain posted:

First things first, get the loudest mechanical keyboard possible. Place your mic close to that while on speakerphone. That is apparently what my boss does.

I didn't think any of my coworkers were goons

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The Fool posted:

I didn't think any of my coworkers were goons

apparently we all work together

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

RFC2324 posted:

I doubt I will, I accidentally got the HR director involved and he's being super cool about it, so hopefully they see its in their own best interest not make the allowance.

HR are like cops. They're not on your side and are not to be trusted. Good luck though.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

You can get soundabsorbing pictures that might be a good idea.

Whatever you do for soundproofing, make sure you consider fire safety. Foam burns REALLY well, and you are double screwed if you muffle out the fire alarm.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ranter posted:

HR are like cops. They're not on your side and are not to be trusted. Good luck though.

ehhh, they aren't on my side, but I wouldn't say they are cops. they don't routinely murder people, for one

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Unfortunately saying no to the people that sign your paychecks and are told all day that their poo poo doesn’t stink can be difficult.
This. I'm not internal staff, I'm a third party hired in to do some of the shitwork for a Security Operations team that has only existed for about two years after a company got pwnd hard. Nobody likes the team, and there is at least one board member out to get rid of it entirely who doesn't see the value. In one sense it doesn't matter to me if I get told to leave here, because I'll just move onto another contract with my own company (ideally back to pentesting, which is why I was hired...). In the other, it's a major client for us and it I'm enough of a dick I might cause the contract to be dropped.

On the plus side I got to say "the situation is: it's not loving happening" when someone came down to the office to chase up an update on a whitelisting request last week. A loving moronic whitelisting request.

RFC2324 posted:

ehhh, they aren't on my side, but I wouldn't say they are cops. they don't routinely murder people, for one
That you know of :tinfoil:

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

GreenNight posted:

Eh just cover all your walls with cork.

http://www.corkstore.com/Products/3D-Acoustic-Wall-Designs

This stuff looks good, smells like a smoky bourbon barrel and works very well to dampen sound with just a few panels.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

RFC2324 posted:

poo poo, I am not reliably safe to drive. I am not risking my life by driving into work while I am dissociating, and if they have a problem with that I'll just have to lawyer up.

Good luck. If some old fucker in the c suite wants butts in the seats while he puts in his 20 hour work week, he is going to get it. If you are going to hold your ground, prepare for the worst.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Guys... I almost just told someone to "revert" to someone.

Admittedly it was one third party service desk trying to pawn work off onto me which should have gone to a different third party service desk, so it aaaalmost makes sense but... still :negative:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sickening posted:

Good luck. If some old fucker in the c suite wants butts in the seats while he puts in his 20 hour work week, he is going to get it. If you are going to hold your ground, prepare for the worst.

There is a magical phrase that even c-levels respect; "Open to liability".

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There is a magical phrase that even c-levels respect; "Open to liability".

I don't think working from home has a lot of protections unfortunately. I would also not overestimate an executives fear of liability either.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Say the liability word and HR will find out you were 5 minutes late 3 times and can your rear end.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Christ, what hellscapes do you all work at?

And before you say, "welcome to America", I work in the US as well and have never experienced this level of hostility to accommodate people who need it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Christ, what hellscapes do you all work at?

And before you say, "welcome to America", I work in the US as well and have never experienced this level of hostility to accommodate people who need it.

There is a limit to what employers will reliably accommodate. While I definitely see there is special cases where working from home would greatly help people to work more effectively that need it, its still considered a perk and not a right for most places.

I don't really see that as hellscapish. Dumb? Petty? Inefficient? Absolutely.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.
Day 1 of using Teams instead of Skype for Business

It's new.

It's different.

I hate it.

If you need me, I'll be outside yelling at clouds.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CollegeCop posted:

It's new.

It's different.

I hate it.

:sadclod:

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

CollegeCop posted:

It's new.

It's different.

I hate it.

Uh, while I'm generally unhappy with teams after coming from slack, it is still an improvement over the hot garbage that is SfB.

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

rafikki posted:

Uh, while I'm generally unhappy with teams after coming from slack, it is still an improvement over the hot garbage that is SfB.

Yes, but I knew how to use SfB. I kinda understood SfB.

Teams is new. And different.

And therefore, bad.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Outlook: Hey, your laptop lost connection, can you sign in again? <close dialog>, <click send/receive>, <outlook realizes connection is ok and secured and picks up where it left off>

Teams: Hey, your laptop lost connection, can you sign in again? <close dialog>, <teams window grays out> can you sign in again?, <signin process fails>, <force quit>, <restart teams>

Teams is poo poo and nobody will be able to convince me otherwise. It's horrible total utter garbage and it can gently caress off and die in a fire.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Let's pick this super specific issue that the majority of users never experience and declare the entire product poo poo.

Am I on the internet? Yes, looks like it

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I dunno that I'd call having issues gracefully handling connectivity loss a "super specific" issue.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I'm kinda glad we don't use anything like Teams, Slack, Skype, etc... at my company.

While we are a company with 300+ employees, the corp office is less than 20 people in the same building. The rest of our employees are not in front of a computer 90% of the time, and nearly every computer in the company is shared access, with exception of those at the corp office.

Things like Slack, Teams, Skype, etc... are useless to us. We use email a gently caress ton though since it works well with the way we operate.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Kyrosiris posted:

I dunno that I'd call having issues gracefully handling connectivity loss a "super specific" issue.

I use teams in super intermittent connectivity areas with no issues, and same with a number of my users.

If it was actually a common issue, we'd hear about it more often, but instead the big internet complaint about Teams that I see the most often is "OMG MY SCREEN REAL ESTATE"

stevewm posted:

I'm kinda glad we don't use anything like Teams, Slack, Skype, etc... at my company.

While we are a company with 300+ employees, the corp office is less than 20 people in the same building. The rest of our employees are not in front of a computer 90% of the time, and nearly every computer in the company is shared access, with exception of those at the corp office.

Things like Slack, Teams, Skype, etc... are useless to us. We use email a gently caress ton though since it works well with the way we operate.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/blog/2019/01/09/3-new-ways-microsoft-teams-empowers-firstline-workers-to-achieve-more/

Data Graham posted:

That weird obscure corner case of "sleeping my laptop"

Like I said, it's not a thing that happens to most people.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 8, 2019

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That weird obscure corner case of “sleeping my laptop”

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Eh.. Mostly marketing wank. And examples of poo poo we have zero use for in our environment.

Hell more than half our employees don't even have email addresses, because there is zero business reason for them to.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

stevewm posted:

Eh.. Mostly marketing wank. And examples of poo poo we have zero use for in our environment.

Hell more than half our employees don't even have email addresses, because there is zero business reason for them to.

I would like to get paid solely via "Praise Badges".

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

The Fool posted:

If it was actually a common issue, we'd hear about it more often, but instead the big internet complaint about Teams that I see the most often is "OMG MY SCREEN REAL ESTATE"

Actually, so far this really is my biggest complaint.

SfB lived happily in the lower right corner of my second screen, happily sharing space with my Call Queue Dashboard, Outlook, and my Avaya softphone. Teams requires twice the space to show the same information. So now I have to totally revamp my window layout and relearn where everything is.

First World IT problems.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

CollegeCop posted:

Actually, so far this really is my biggest complaint.

SfB lived happily in the lower right corner of my second screen, happily sharing space with my Call Queue Dashboard, Outlook, and my Avaya softphone. Teams requires twice the space to show the same information. So now I have to totally revamp my window layout and relearn where everything is.

First World IT problems.

Sounds like a business case for an additional monitor. You can never have too many monitors.

https://imgur.com/IoQ5mu8

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 8, 2019

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
My main complaint with Teams is that I wish switching between Chats / Team channels was a bit snappier. Otherwise it's a big improvement HipChat and it was super each to get the department and then the rest of the org on board.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Will Teams still randomly steal your cursor focus for no good reason whatsoever, so while you think you're typing your password into an RDP login window, you have actually just IM'd it to Karen in Finance and now have to awkwardly tell her to "oh whoops ignore that ;)" and go quickly change it for the 3rd time in a month? No I'm obviously not still annoyed by this even though its been almost 2 years since I last used S4B.

S4B :argh:

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
- Office move
- Nobody tells IT
- A Ticket Came In
- "Urgent! I need an extra long ethernet cord to run up and around a door frame."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sirotan posted:

Will Teams still randomly steal your cursor focus for no good reason whatsoever, so while you think you're typing your password into an RDP login window, you have actually just IM'd it to Karen in Finance and now have to awkwardly tell her to "oh whoops ignore that ;)" and go quickly change it for the 3rd time in a month? No I'm obviously not still annoyed by this even though its been almost 2 years since I last used S4B.

S4B :argh:

I've never had that happen with Teams on my Windows system. Honestly, my biggest complaints are "it's weirdly slow switching conversations" and "you have to wait for it to load chat history if you scroll up". Everything else works fine.

But everyone at the office who uses Teams on Mac has never-ending problems.