Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

blender is bad and i dont like it op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Luigi Thirty posted:

blender is bad and i dont like it op

is it because it already has backface culling

https://mega.nz/#!TZ5ATKSA!pjpJoWo1r3gaYjxJr_fLa8E4Usnem7D9LV5CJ_u0428

thats a link to a blender 2.8 file which has an hdr file in it and you could make a cool looking pic with

if anyone wnts to gently caress around with

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/rodtronics/status/1148196354918719489

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
blender 2.8 is a huge upgrade in the interface department and this poo poo is really good

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:kickinrod:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Paging smythe

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
imagin if you did a bit of blender

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Corla Plankun posted:

my average view on Hack Night

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Corla Plankun posted:

hell yeah this is cool

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

actually, ffmpeg is the best open source software ever

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it’s pretty good I admit

took me a while to discover how to turn a string of pictures into a video but once I did boy howdy was I happy

Corla Plankun posted:

can I ask about the textures

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

yeah! i think you might actually be really into it because i was (vaguely) following a tutorial that was all about doing weird stuff with nodes which iirc is the origin of rodtronics in the first place: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pi1MxqpmKw

it is actually all bump maps and no textures to speak of

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Corla Plankun posted:

yeah! i think you might actually be really into it because i was (vaguely) following a tutorial that was all about doing weird stuff with nodes which iirc is the origin of rodtronics in the first place: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pi1MxqpmKw

it is actually all bump maps and no textures to speak of

ooo I think there might be some stuff in there for me coz i am poo poo at procedurally generated stuff, which I suspect that is. thanks!

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

go play outside Skyler posted:

actually, ffmpeg is the best open source software ever

speaking of, what does blender use for outputting video? i would assume ffmpeg, but I'm not sure.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

speaking of, what does blender use for outputting video? i would assume ffmpeg, but I'm not sure.

you can choose ffmpeg if you want BUT the proper way for outputting from blender is:

save all your renders as exr files, this preserves all the light information, no clipping etc, its a true HDR file format

THEN run a second scene and use those images as the input and do all the compositing and then output them.
(this way you havent lost the originals, if you do composition on your first run, you cant go back and change any of the composition without re-rendering)

then use ffmpeg on the command line to make a video out of those final pics

I usually directly composite because I cant be hosed with 2 steps and I'm usually content with what I do the first time, but to make the :rodtronics: animation I had to use the compositor and sets of images to create the animation

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that one with fuzzy bottom kinda makes it look like it’s wearing flares

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
epic donated $1.2 million to blender

https://www.blender.org/press/epic-games-supports-blender-foundation-with-1-2-million-epic-megagrant/

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
good poo poo. they did a while back earlier for fbx export iirc

it’s a drop in the bucket of what epic make in a day, but still sweet as gently caress as the blender foundation is concerned

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
i can't believe the guy who made ZZT has a net worth of $7.21 billion

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i can't believe the guy who made ZZT has a net worth of $7.21 billion

I mean the royalties on well dressed man alone must be worth at least $2B

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/rodtronics/status/1152892301024219136?s=21

poo poo I love blender. man people make some
cool poo poo with blender for sure but it’s so excellent for doing poo poo like this too. the benefits over a vector image program 🤔

It’s more fun than it should be to change the camera to orthographic. it’s a powerful tool and that picture would be quite average without it. half the poo poo I make utterly relies on it

also
http://rodtronics.design

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/rodtronics/status/1154459966918385665?s=20

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i've been browsing tumblr tags this evening for references to try and ape, and im pretty sure the platform is even more horny than it was before they banned being horny; its just instagram-horny instead of twitter-horny now

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you know what they say about prohibition it just makes it worse

instagram is where u go now anyway for anything worthwhile, anyone doing anything relevant is selling their personal information on that website these days

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.blender.org/press/ubisoft-joins-blender-development-fund/

ubisoft are now being friends. idk about their overall business ethics etc but ubisoft make some sweet as gently caress games under all the corporate bullshit

also

2.8... is now officially released. and gently caress I think their servers are getting hamemred because I can barely open their web page. because in my mind the web page and where they host their downlaods is on the same pc out the back of someones garage

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
Let's not forget that blender, up until like 2 years ago, looked like this.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:rolleyes:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

echinopsis posted:

idk about their overall business ethics etc but ubisoft make some sweet as gently caress games under all the corporate bullshit

i worked for a shitload of garbage companies both in and out of video games where I never lasted more than a couple years and ive been at ubisoft for 7 years and i dont see myself ever quitting

unless the corporate culture somehow becomes a shitshow, like it would likely have happened if vivendi succeeded in their hostile takeover

rear end posted:

Let's not forget that blender, up until like 2 years ago, looked like this.

if by 2 years you mean 10 years then yeah

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
assassins creed origins is probably the best game I have ever played

thanks for personally creating bayek

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

echinopsis posted:

assassins creed origins is probably the best game I have ever played

thanks for personally creating bayek

i dont work on asscreed but i'm happy that you enjoy it

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I refuse to give Ubisoft a pass in the good software thread. Uplay is a God drat abomination. I was forced to make an account to play a game on steam and I got an email not 5 days later saying they had a data breach and I should change my passwords.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Salt Fish posted:

I refuse to give Ubisoft a pass in the good software thread. Uplay is a God drat abomination. I was forced to make an account to play a game on steam and I got an email not 5 days later saying they had a data breach and I should change my passwords.

lol

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

welp
time to write my resignation letter

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Listen here bud; there's nothing "funny" about having to run two game launchers at once to play a game!!!!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The only good software I've ever used is Mysql, foobar2k, and vim.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Salt Fish posted:

this but the opposite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Salt Fish posted:

vBulletin 3.x is pretty great.