Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

DrPossum posted:

Quit my job today without concrete plans. Bosses can go gently caress themselves.

:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

DrPossum posted:

Quit my job today without concrete plans. Bosses can go gently caress themselves.

I did it last November and had to move back to my home country :toot:

You'll be fine

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

DrPossum posted:

:rip: deviant

Piano Maniac
Oct 10, 2011
Just wanted to say that I switched jobs into programming two months ago and I already got a payraise. We are all gonna make it :hfive:

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I quit my job the beginning of May and I still haven't found a new one yet oh well

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
e nvm

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

Applied for a job adjacent to what I am doing right now. Data/SQL architecture stuff.

It has been a long rollercoaster ride as a professional cj but the company I work for isn't in the most growth-positive of industries. People here are way tenured and stay for a long time, and for good reason too. Pay is deece, bennies are good and the culture is great. I could set the recliner back and cruise...the lazy rear end part of me really, really wants to but personally it's just unfulfilling. Plus I am pretty much solo on my beat (we have a software/db person on staff but their focus isn't on sysadmin stuff unless I am out)

It's weird being gainfully, securely employed and hunting for other opportunities but I just can't see this cj gig continuing to be something I look forward to every single day. I miss having a team of tech people to bounce ideas off of and learn from. And I miss having more time to be creative. Right now my biggest fear is sticking in place too long and becoming way stale and too hyper-focused in one industry. I have to solo support locations that are open almost every day of the year and some that aren't even close to where I am at. We currently have two storefronts and are opening a third in a year or so.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
lol when the accounting team put one of the contractors on our team in the “wrong queue” and was behind a month paying him, all 6 of us on the team threatened to stop working until he was paid. He was paid in full the next day.

Collective bargaining absolutely 100% works.

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

There's no salary posted to the position but the Robert Half guide puts it at six figgies for mid-range

can't wait to be a fucktard

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I think the shittiest thing about interviewing at amazon is that after rejecting me they didn't pay back my expenses like they promised. I'm bothering them for months and they ghosted me.

Vinz Clortho
Jul 19, 2004

Symbolic Butt posted:

I think the shittiest thing about interviewing at amazon is that after rejecting me they didn't pay back my expenses like they promised. I'm bothering them for months and they ghosted me.

Same thing happened to me with Microsoft.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe
drat that sucks, I guess making them pay for that poo poo upfront wasn’t an option?

Vinz Clortho
Jul 19, 2004

In my case it was flying interstate for an internship interview. The idea was that I'd pay for transport to and from the airport, and then file for reimbursement. They acknowledged receipt of the reimbursement paperwork, but never actually paid me back. I tried to chase them up a couple of times, but they just ghosted me. Probably doesn't help that I'm on the other side of the world in Australia. I'm a student, too, so it's not like I had a couple of hundred bucks just lying around to blow on Ubers etc. Stay classy, Microsoft.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
the weird thing is that I flew around for interviews a couple of times (lol at me being unemployed for so long) and every company paid me fine, no big deal. I'd never expect this from *looks down at notes* the second largest tech company in the world.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
a proposal: each of you should reply-all on your last follow-up email and add the office of the ceo (satyan@microsoft.com and jeff@amazon.com), then report back on any payments or restraining orders received.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
The ceo email is most of the time handled by a large office of admin peeps

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

who are exactly the type of problem solvers that are needed here

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

yeah you should literally do that

dont let some massive tech company gently caress you over ffs

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

bob dobbs is dead posted:

The ceo email is most of the time handled by a large office of admin peeps

oh God you just made me remember the Jeff Bezos question mark emails. :gonk:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Fiedler posted:

a proposal: each of you should reply-all on your last follow-up email and add the office of the ceo (satyan@microsoft.com and jeff@amazon.com), then report back on any payments or restraining orders received.

hail satyan

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

qhat posted:

My gf works in a hospital and it's all unionised, and being someone who just joined recently she is not eligible to take the holidays she wants if someone with greater tenure wants that date, so she basically never gets Christmas off etc. And her pay is also heavily tied to her tenure regardless of how hard she works.

My wife has worked in 4 non-union hospitals and they all were like this :shrug:. Also illegally forcing her to work lunch breaks and other nonsense.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

feedmegin posted:

Except the City cut a deal long since to deal with that?

all of that is temporary and uncertain

a stop gap in case the brexit process goes haywire

not to mention even if waivers to eu rules were made permanent, the hard border and visa rules would still make London relatively unattractive vis a vis Paris or frankfurt

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qhat posted:

Counter point: Switzerland is not a part of the EU, and it's banks do not have EU passporting, but I don't think anyone would be foolish enough to claim that this has somehow restricted the Swiss banking industry in any appreciable manner.

the entire Swiss banking industry counts for a wet fart. the only thing they ever had going for them was intense secrecy, and u.s. AML / KYC has cracked that nut.

there are no Swiss banks in the world top ten. not sure any even make the top 20

London doesn’t want to be Geneva

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the entire Swiss banking industry counts for a wet fart. the only thing they ever had going for them was intense secrecy, and u.s. AML / KYC has cracked that nut.

there are no Swiss banks in the world top ten. not sure any even make the top 20

London doesn’t want to be Geneva

credit suisse?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

waiting to get contacted for an offer is the worst. i know my references have replied to the reference checks. i was patient because of the holiday. now time is crawling. also starting a big project at work and i don't even want to start it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rex-Goliath posted:

credit suisse?

wikipedia has them down at 40th: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_banks#By_total_assets

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

But unions are bad, am I right?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

tbf most of those forms of wage theft are not applicable to most people in this thread

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

hobbesmaster posted:

tbf most of those forms of wage theft are not applicable to most people in this thread

2/4 are. Rest Break and Overtime. Off-the-clock if you squint.

And that's assuming salary pay, not wages, and guess what contractors are paid!

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

uh 3 out of those 4 apply.

I don't care how many figgies you're offering i want breaks, paid overtime, and zero contact outside of work hours.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

KidDynamite posted:

uh 3 out of those 4 apply.

I don't care how many figgies you're offering i want breaks, paid overtime, and zero contact outside of work hours.

Same. My boss said to email them if I have any questions while they're out on vacation and that another coworker had already promised not to. I said I wouldn't, either, and almost added, "Because I would never answer an email while on vacation and neither should you." but my boss's sense of work ethic is all hosed and it was already after 5.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

going by assets is pretty misleading when talking about this type of institution. nbsd presumably forgot about credit suisse, but the basic fact is unchanged: the actual work happens inside the markets dealt with. barcap or hsbc will not disappear either, but they'll become more eu-centered.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
If you are a computer toucher and work off-the-clock and other similar poo poo, you are doing computer touching wrong.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
maybe I like touching the computer

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

all of that is temporary and uncertain

a stop gap in case the brexit process goes haywire

not to mention even if waivers to eu rules were made permanent, the hard border and visa rules would still make London relatively unattractive vis a vis Paris or frankfurt

Why would they remove the stopgap, ever, if stability is what everyone wants? I mean, assuming that things do go haywire, because if they don't a formal agreement with much the same effect will presumably have been reached anyway. If a deal has been set up between the sensible adults and it works why would said sensible adults then gently caress with it? And lol if you think senior banking staff are going to have much trouble getting visas no matter what.

Also, don't individual bankers p much hate the idea of living in Frankfurt instead of London?

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 8, 2019

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

recruiter emailed to update me that she will have an update tomorrow :smith:

argh

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Reply to the email that you'll send a thank-you reply in a few hours.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

KidDynamite posted:

waiting to get contacted for an offer is the worst. i know my references have replied to the reference checks. i was patient because of the holiday. now time is crawling. also starting a big project at work and i don't even want to start it.

I feel you completely. My friend at the other company has reassured me with the ever so lovely "Oh the HR department has no idea what they're doing and is regularly in chaos so if they don't get in touch it could be just because they lost track of it."

Going to have to reach out and check in if I don't hear back by Wednesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
What's a good salary for a react developer with 5 years experience in Boston d'you think