Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Max Wilco posted:

I know when you brought it up, I went and watched A TF2 Western, which in turn reminded me of Ignus Solus.

Kitty0706 really was exceptional with the machinma stuff he did. You could say his animation style wasn't as refined as someone like DasBoSchitt, but it had a real energy to it, and his use of sound effects and facial poses really were what delivered the comedic punch with the non-sequiturs. Even now, stuff like Mass Defect, Moments with Heavy, and Team Fabulous 2 still make laugh.

It's sad that he passed away, especially since he seemed like he was working towards being an animator, and it would have been nice to see what he would have made if he had gotten established in that field.
the entire reason I started saving videos and other things I really enjoy almost compulsively was due to someone like kitty/dasbo, a guy who went by the name of Sn1pe456. It's an intensely stupid video that I liked, that was a montage of recreating old video game themes entirely using sounds from the various TF2 Meet The Character videos that was a gimmick at the time. Very, unbelievably dumb, however that one in particular was my very first experience with something I liked being utterly wiped from the internet when he one day had a meltdown and wiped his entire youtube channel. It was before there was a glut of people reuploading absolutely everything and so it and everything else he made was simply gone, although even now some stuff still disappears forever. But now I just download videos I really like just in case they get taken down, the internet blows up, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

All the cool people made the mistake of toxxing for Hillary so now all we have left are people who post in ADTRW, their parachute accounts, and people laser-focused on how edgy the website used to be before all you losers sold out and became pussies. Can't even make fun of a 9/11 the day it happens on this lame rear end website.

It was kinda hilarious to watch the D&D mods try to worm their way out of banning all the toxxers until Lowtax stepped in.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

He actually posted relatively recently in the Shadow Hearts LP thread that he's taking a road trip and might come back to it later in the year. But yeah, that was an awful tragedy :smith:.

Yah. He's mentioned wanting to go back to that a couple times. But also the guy did some movie streams weekly for years and recently did a couple and the the tone in recent ones from extremely enthusiastic good entertainer to just dead inside is... stark. I'd give him some time...

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Yesterworld put up a fascinating video on the background influence Jungle Emperor Leo/Kimba the White Lion had on The Lion King:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI-LNKZy3tY

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Even though he quickly goes through Red Ash, I'd say that when that Kickstarter launched it was the moment of no return in regards to good will for Inafune. If only because he had already used the "Remember when they canceled Legends 3?" card when raising funds for Mighty No. 9. It always felt like a good number of people who supported/backed the first Kickstarter did it thinking that Inafune was more upset that Legends 3 was canceled than any other Mega Man title that been scrapped during those years. Like that cancellation overshadowed the actual classic Mega Man game Inafune was talking about being "His dream game that had been cancelled" during the Mighty pitch video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3rkb-zifUQ

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The closest approximation you can get to Kitty0706 nowadays is probably Doctor Lalve. It's not Team Fabulous 2 good, but I still get a kick out of his videos. And Antoine Delak is still making videos.

I miss Rubberfruit the most. The Bad Trade and Heavy Galaxy are so stupid I can't help but like them

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Annointed posted:

Yogscast content creator terminated from company amid sexual exploitation allegations

https://dotesports.com/streaming/news/yogscast-caffcast-terminated-from-company-sexual-exploitation-allegations/amp

I guess everyone's a creep.

While there's good, wasn't there some stuff with Sjin and Duncan that kind of got swept under the rug? Or am I misrembering

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nuns with Guns posted:

Yesterworld put up a fascinating video on the background influence Jungle Emperor Leo/Kimba the White Lion had on The Lion King:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI-LNKZy3tY

The really fascinating part is Matthew Broderick and some of the crew outright calling it an adaptation in old interviews.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Archer666 posted:

It was kinda hilarious to watch the D&D mods try to worm their way out of banning all the toxxers until Lowtax stepped in.

It was a couple of the admins who decided to renege on that. The mods were very much opposed to the idea, we literally told them it made us all look less credible, but they only reversed course once it was brought to Lowtax's attention.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm for making bets but only if my opponent is beholden by the rules, should I lose I should be exempt.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

why would you toxx yourself over something you have no control over?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Unless there is cheating involved, never welch on a bet.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Nohman posted:

Fundamental SSLPer The Dark Id was posting in the SA LP sub-forum until earlier this year. But his daughter died suddenly a couple months ago and I think he's out of that scene now. :smith:

jesus loving christ thats terrible.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

watho posted:

why not

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

$10 can buy you a lot of Oreos.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

JordanKai posted:

$10 can buy you a lot of Oreos.

Explain how!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Explain how!

It’s like $3 a pack for Oreos, there’s about 50 cookies in each box, so for $10 that’s like 3 boxes with 150 Oreos. That’s a lot of Oreos.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

It’s like $3 a pack for Oreos, there’s about 50 cookies in each box, so for $10 that’s like 3 boxes with 150 Oreos. That’s a lot of Oreos.

To bring back the Bane chat from earlier: "For you."

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Explain how!

Money can be exchanged for goods and services

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

I Before E posted:

Woo hoo.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

watho posted:

Gambling is fun.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I Before E posted:

Not after the revolution it cant

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Cross post from the Breadtube thread in D&D,

For the Youtube folks who read this thread, please take good care of yourselves. Don't work too hard and remember to eat well and take many well-earned naps, no matter how loudly the unquenchable void yammers for more content.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1147977074012852224

:smith:

It gets worse the further the thread goes, too.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Gross. It looks like her wiki page is already cleaned up, at least, and the older edits containing personal info have been purged.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I haven't watched or listened to anything from SBF zaibatsu (RIP) for years, but binged that whole series from Matt yesterday. Much better than whatever anemic LP stuff they had been doing in the late years as a team and really reminds of the better AVGN videos.

I recall Mighty Number 9 as the one kickstarter game that even skeptics tried to hype as the great hope of platformers. The animosity towards Capcom was really something fierce back then.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Resident Evil, Mega Man, and Devil Mar Cry have all come back from the dead which makes it awkward for any kickstarted spiritual successor. Though I'm definitely sure Castlevania is dead.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s ironic that the 90s theoreticians thought that the internet would collapse boundaries between people and open radical new possibilities for community, while in reality it ended up driving such radical separation that people no longer understand that the people they watch are human beings who can be affected by their behavior.

It’s all the same sort of radical alienation or anomie, like weirdoes asking Allison if they can watch Brad Jones or people getting mad that Contrapoints doesn’t do a video every week. A big part of it seems to come from wanting to be acknowledged by the object of their attention and not understanding the effect their behavior might have.

But there has to be a pre-internet version of that too. I remember reading as a teen about how someone at a science fiction convention threw a dixie cup of diarrhea onto some science fiction author because he said he didn’t like Star Trek.

Celebrity is inherently unhealthy and a symptom of the sickness of capitalism imo.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Resident Evil, Mega Man, and Devil Mar Cry have all come back from the dead which makes it awkward for any kickstarted spiritual successor. Though I'm definitely sure Castlevania is dead.
I gotta give Capcom credit, they realized they were pissing people off with their business decisions and pivoted back to just giving fans what they want. Apparently Mega Man 11 was a big enough hit that they're going to make more games in the franchise.

Castlevania is dead because Konami is Konami, and Konami is the worst.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It’s ironic that the 90s theoreticians thought that the internet would collapse boundaries between people and open radical new possibilities for community, while in reality it ended up driving such radical separation that people no longer understand that the people they watch are human beings who can be affected by their behavior.
I don't think I need to tell you what institution caused this. The sad thing is that the internet could have easily been the very thing that its utopian boosters in the '90s crowed about. Then Google shifted to ad sales after the dot-com bubble burst and Facebook created the business model of selling personal info.

I read an article in the Los Angeles Review of Books that there was a bill in Congress proposed in 2000 that would have made it illegal to use personal data as a business model. Thanks, 9/11.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jul 8, 2019

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The original Castlevania designer had a successful kickstarter for a spiritual successor, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. In fact, the kickstarter was so successful that they came out with a retro-style game called Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, which is not, to quote Cannot Be Tamed, a game about getting your period. Both seem to be well received.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

But there has to be a pre-internet version of that too. I remember reading as a teen about how someone at a science fiction convention threw a dixie cup of diarrhea onto some science fiction author because he said he didn’t like Star Trek.

What the internet's done in that regard is democratize celebrity obsession in a frankly terrifying way. Film celebrity at least had the benefit of the stars being so detached from the public that only astoundingly unwell people would form a fixation. Now though, with a pet celebrity for every niche and the emergence of parasocial relationships, a lot more people feel like there's a voice out there speaking specifically to them.

Mix that with the bucketload of alienation that comes with online culture, and it means that, while every minor internet star has an audience, they probably also have a stalker(s).

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

get that OUT of my face posted:

I don't think I need to tell you what institution caused this.

:hmmyes: the Bilderberg Group.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

It’s all the same sort of radical alienation or anomie, like weirdoes asking Allison if they can watch Brad Jones or people getting mad that Contrapoints doesn’t do a video every week. A big part of it seems to come from wanting to be acknowledged by the object of their attention and not understanding the effect their behavior might have.

Celebrity is inherently unhealthy and a symptom of the sickness of capitalism imo.

Celebrity has jackshit to do with capitalism and more with human nature. People have admired others since forever.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Archer666 posted:

Celebrity has jackshit to do with capitalism and more with human nature. People have admired others since forever.
Fair, but San Francisco capitalism has made commodifying celebrity worse than it's ever been.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's pretty impressive to gently caress up mega man.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

What the internet's done in that regard is democratize celebrity obsession in a frankly terrifying way. Film celebrity at least had the benefit of the stars being so detached from the public that only astoundingly unwell people would form a fixation. Now though, with a pet celebrity for every niche and the emergence of parasocial relationships, a lot more people feel like there's a voice out there speaking specifically to them.

Mix that with the bucketload of alienation that comes with online culture, and it means that, while every minor internet star has an audience, they probably also have a stalker(s).
The way I would describe the malaise of the modern internet is this:

Imagine the phrase "the personal is political." Then mutate and disfigure it to make it mean, "If you don't like my personal consumption choices, then you're a bad person." The opposite is true as well: if you agree with someone's consumption choices, then you're worthy of praise and emulation.

Everything is either "important" or "canceled." Nuance and shades of gray are forbidden.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's pretty impressive to gently caress up mega man.

I mean, if you're not just gonna make Mega Man 2 Again But With A Shop like MM9 and MM10, there's a lot of ways you could go wrong. Even within that very narrow design space... MM10 wasn't exactly well received. It's a perfectly fine game, but it's not that great a followup to 9, and the retro style wasn't going to carry more than one game.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Archer666 posted:

Without money driving a system of attention, notoriety would likely look very different. I don’t know that the people harassing Contrapoints or Jenny Nicholson (or anyone we talk about here) admire them exactly, or strive to emulate them as premodern people did for their heroes, as much as they need them to fill a void created by modern life and feel entitled to have them do what they want.

Honestly, if I had a richer personal life and didn’t devote so many of my waking hours to work, I would probably post less and not watch as much youtube, or enjoy it as much.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you certainly wouldn't have the "famous for being famous" celebs without capitalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
under Feudalism, the biggest celebrity in town was Jan Shitsindergarten-- and not for nothing, neither