Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I always liked the 80s Blob over the original.

It's probably the better film, but definitely the worse score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Egbert, please tell me you're going to post the shot where he comes over the dunes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cloks posted:

Egbert, please tell me you're going to post the shot where he comes over the dunes.

You’re thinking of Lawrence of a Labia.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cloks posted:

Eventually. I’m waiting on the Criterion laserdisc and will basically do a video essay on how the cuts differ.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Saw the Do the Right Thing Criterion transfer and it looks great. Has the tinting that they removed for the blu ray

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Arrow is also half off at Barnes and Noble, plus I’m pretty sure you can use other coupons with them.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Liar Lyre posted:

Arrow is also half off at Barnes and Noble, plus I’m pretty sure you can use other coupons with them.

Thanks for the tip, got the Godard and Gorin box for $45.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Watching my first laserdisc all the way through - Soderbergh's Kafka. The thing I'm taking away from laserdisc, which is hilarious to me, is that while the video doesn't hold up at all... the audio is loving incredible. Even the dogshit pre-restoration Lawrence of Arabia in pan & scan has great stereo sound.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Still nothing on that 4k scan of yo soy cuba right? I saw I missed out on another week of screenings back in feb of this year but haven't seen any news since. Would own this in a heartbeat.

Is there a contact email for milestone? I would have def gone had I known it was screening for a few days, would love to know if any other theaters are getting the print this year. Or like..when I can buy a drat UHD copy.....

watching the 4k trailer they put out is such a mean tease..my god the quality.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 4, 2019

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/Eurekavideo/status/1146780817223536640

Feels like all my movie money this year is going to Eureka

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

zer0spunk posted:

Still nothing on that 4k scan of yo soy cuba right? I saw I missed out on another week of screenings back in feb of this year but haven't seen any news since. Would own this in a heartbeat.

Is there a contact email for milestone? I would have def gone had I known it was screening for a few days, would love to know if any other theaters are getting the print this year. Or like..when I can buy a drat UHD copy.....

watching the 4k trailer they put out is such a mean tease..my god the quality.

I listened to a podcast not long ago (Nitrateville?) with Dennis Doros and Amy Heller, which seemed to indicate it'll be on Blu-ray once the theatrical run is over. They ARE Milestone and there's something heartwarming about a small releasing company being a husband and wife working together for decades.

I've been picking up more Milestone stuff lately and their Shirley Clarke discs are loving amazing. The Connection and Portrait of Jason are easily among the greatest films I've seen and the restorations are magnificent.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

FancyMike posted:

https://twitter.com/Eurekavideo/status/1146780817223536640

Feels like all my movie money this year is going to Eureka

Oh, drat, that's nice. I can take or leave The Iron-Fisted Monk, but Eastern Condors and The Magnificent Butcher are stone-cold classics.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://twitter.com/billhuntbits/status/1146795184954454016?s=21

Hot Fuzz in Dolby Atmos/DTS X might be what gets me to upgrade my sound system

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Egbert Souse posted:

oh snap

Any updates on Lawrence of Arabia on UHD? Are they waiting for an anniversary date or something?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

david_a posted:

oh snap

Any updates on Lawrence of Arabia on UHD? Are they waiting for an anniversary date or something?

It's apparently been used as a demo at CES. I do think it's been a conspicuous absence on UHD, but we're only just now seeing more big titles get upgraded. Sony even had a poll on future UHD releases and it wasn't on the list, despite nearly everything else they have 4K masters for is.

I did find some interesting info, though... apparently, the 4K Kaleidoscope download is 113 GB, so they're likely having to split across two discs.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Egbert Souse posted:

V thankful I hadn’t bought any of em yet. Never saw “World’s End” actually.

I’ll know it’ll be an upgrade from BD no matter what, but were any of those shot on film? In my brain I’m recalling at least Hot Fuzz and Shaun as digital.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Boywhiz88 posted:

I’ll know it’ll be an upgrade from BD no matter what, but were any of those shot on film? In my brain I’m recalling at least Hot Fuzz and Shaun as digital.

according to IMDB, they were all shot on 35mm

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Boywhiz88 posted:

I never saw World's End, either and I only have Shaun of the Dead on DVD, so I'm ready.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Boywhiz88 posted:

I always felt World's End was the weakest of the trilogy, but I gained an appreciation for it when I built a unit around it for my Y10 English class last year.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The World's End is the best of the Cornetto trilogy, and I will fight any challenger who approaches.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Timby posted:

The World's End is the best of the Cornetto trilogy, and I will fight any challenger who approaches.

Like I said, I gained a huge appreciation for it. I would argue that Hot Fuzz is the best of the three, but The World's End is a worthy runner-up.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Timby posted:

I'm sorry, the correct answer is Hot Fuzz.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

All three had 2K DIs. Shaun and Hot Fuzz shot in Super-35, The World's End shot in Super-16 for the prologue, Super-35 until the bathroom fight, Panavision for the remainder of the film.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cloks posted:

I'm sorry, the correct answer is Hot Fuzz.

Timby sighed as he drew his katana...

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I saw The World's End in theaters, was disappointed by it and never felt the desire to rewatch it.

Meanwhile, Hot Fuzz is a movie I can still put on and laugh at all the way through 12 years later.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hated Worlds End when it came out. I should watch it again. I just thought it was trying too hard

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I was just over it by the third go.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Empress Brosephine posted:

I hated Worlds End when it came out. I should watch it again. I just thought it was trying too hard

It clicked with me on my second viewing.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

A few of my Criterions fell off of the 6+ foot shelf I have them on, onto a hard tile floor, and a few of them hit on the corner and basically shattered. I'm very, very happy Criterion thought of this possibility and sells replacement cases right now.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Vince MechMahon posted:

A few of my Criterions fell off of the 6+ foot shelf I have them on, onto a hard tile floor, and a few of them hit on the corner and basically shattered. I'm very, very happy Criterion thought of this possibility and sells replacement cases right now.

It's probably the one argument for the digipack book style covers, but the corners on those also get destroyed very quickly :(

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I don't know if anyone else here ordered it, but my copy of Viy from Severin came in today!

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Found the LOTR Extended edition Blu Ray set sealed for $6 at a thrift store, very happy right now!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I, Butthole posted:

It's probably the one argument for the digipack book style covers, but the corners on those also get destroyed very quickly :(

I hate it so much that it seems like they're going all in on digipacks. The slightly fat clear cases are iconic.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Vince MechMahon posted:

I hate it so much that it seems like they're going all in on digipacks. The slightly fat clear cases are iconic.

The criterion cases are the same width as normal bluray cases here in Aus so I never got that, but I really do prefer them over digipacks.

See also: the bookcase style special editions that Paramount and Universal seem fond of. The Exorcist and Jaws don't fit on my shelves because they're a bees dick higher than regular cases.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
The early Criterion blu-rays were in digipacks. Eventally they sold replacement plastic boxes complete with cover art for those because people are whiners.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

CPL593H posted:

The early Criterion blu-rays were in digipacks. Eventally they sold replacement plastic boxes complete with cover art for those because people are whiners.

They were different from the modern digipacks though, which are much better designed. The original ones were slipcovers with a cardboard inside and are a pain in the rear end to deal with. I have Bottle Rocket and Last Year at Marienbad in those covers and if they still had the replacement program, I'd do that in a heartbeat.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Saw this today. It's the first UHD disk I've seen in one of those VHS cases.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cloks posted:

They were different from the modern digipacks though, which are much better designed. The original ones were slipcovers with a cardboard inside and are a pain in the rear end to deal with. I have Bottle Rocket and Last Year at Marienbad in those covers and if they still had the replacement program, I'd do that in a heartbeat.

I think if you email Jon Mulvaney you can Paypal for replacement cases. And Last Year at Marienbad was actually from after they switched over (The Wages of Fear and In the Realm of the Senses came out before it in plastic) and was a digipak mainly so they could do the cool embossed text. They also did The Night of the Hunter over because it the case was too loose compared to later digipaks (like Eraserhead) or more likely because they had intended for it to have a more substantial booklet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Saw this today. It's the first UHD disk I've seen in one of those VHS cases.

Stranger Things did this as well, as Target exclusives. We have the first season as a Blu-ray in VHS packaging, and season 2 as UHD in VHS packaging.