Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

fishmech posted:

Security Now :twisted:

i think you meant Security NooooooOOOOOOOooooOOOOOoooooow

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The ippsec videos for HackTheBox are still up but he’s been pushing people to his patreon to download the raw files. worth the $10 imo.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Does anyone have the necessary setup (jailbroken device + clutch/bfdecrypt etc) to dump decrypted ios app ipa's?

Trying to get hold of a particular free app from the app store which is purportedly misbehaving, if anyone's in a position to help me out

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://www.zdnet.com/article/7-eleven-japanese-customers-lose-500000-due-to-mobile-app-flaw/

quote:

Approximately 900 customers of 7-Eleven Japan have lost a collective of ¥55 million ($510,000) after hackers hijacked their 7pay app accounts and made illegal charges in their names.

The incident was caused by an appalling security lapse in the design of the company's 7pay mobile payment app, which 7-Eleven Japan launched in the country on Monday, July 1.

The 7pay mobile app was designed to show a barcode on the phone's screen when customers reach the 7-Eleven cashier counters. The cashier scans the barcode, and the bought goods are charged to the user's 7pay app and the customer's credit or debit cards that have been saved in the account.

However, in a mind-boggling turn of events, the app contained a password reset function that was incredibly poorly designed. It allowed anyone to request a password reset for other people's accounts, but have the password reset link sent to their email address, instead of the legitimate account owner.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol I was just about to post a twit about this

https://twitter.com/gossithedog/status/1146885884928843776

that’s a real proper secfuuuuuckk

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Kuvo posted:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/7-eleven-japanese-customers-lose-500000-due-to-mobile-app-flaw/

However, in a mind-boggling turn of events, the app contained a password reset function that was incredibly poorly designed. It allowed anyone to request a password reset for other people's accounts, but have the password reset link sent to their email address, instead of the legitimate account owner.

I’m shocked a big Japanese company would make a security fuckup of this nature

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I’m shocked a big Japanese company would make a security fuckup of this nature

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

7/11 never forget :japan:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

good lord

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

wow zdnet still around :unsmith:

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

TBH, I was surprised because I was definitely expecting the latter half of the quote to say "...but the barcode was just the sequential user ID".

Password reset vuln is bad, but I was definitely expecting even more super incompetent levels of bad for being owned in a single day.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

pseudorandom posted:

TBH, I was surprised because I was definitely expecting the latter half of the quote to say "...but the barcode was just the sequential user ID".

Password reset vuln is bad, but I was definitely expecting even more super incompetent levels of bad for being owned in a single day.

a rare example of the primordial definition of zero day.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol

https://twitter.com/campuscodi/status/1148137762966650880

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

quote:

Hi all. I'm the (actual) owner of that gem.

As already hypothesized in the comments I'm pretty sure this was a simple account hijack. The kickball user likely cracked an old password of mine from before I was using 1password that was leaked from who knows which of the various breaches that have occurred over the years.

I released that gem years ago and barely remembered even having a rubygems account since I'm not doing much OSS work these days. I simply forgot to rotate out that old password there as a result which is definitely my bad.

Since being notified and regaining ownership of the gem I've:

1. Removed the kickball gem owner. I don't know why rubygems did not do this automatically but they did not.

2. Reset to a new strong password specific to rubygems.org (haha) with 1password and secured my account with MFA.

3. Released a new version 0.0.8 of the gem so that anyone that unfortunately installed the bogus/yanked 0.0.7 version will hopefully update to the new/real version of the gem.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
ui is hard
https://twitter.com/__apf__/status/1148185033309675520

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.cnet.com/news/more-than-1000-android-apps-harvest-your-data-even-after-you-deny-permissions/

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Absolutely shocking. Absolutely Anroid.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
not shocking at all really

quote:

Researchers found that Shutterfly, a photo-editing app, had been gathering GPS coordinates from photos and sending that data to its own servers, even when users declined to give the app permission to access location data.

that's a little different than the headline makes it sound. that's not live user tracking in direct contravention of the permission flags, that's failure to strip exif data

haveblue fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 8, 2019

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

gathering mac addresses from nearby aps and inferring a user's location because they said no when you asked them for it is a tad more blatant

anyone who's not living like rms is living in a post-privacy world and you make your peace with that when you carry around your personal, serialized transmitter

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
do android/ios still have permissions as "pretty please do not do this" or are they actually blocking system calls that the app haven't been given permission for

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ymgve posted:

do android/ios still have permissions as "pretty please do not do this" or are they actually blocking system calls that the app haven't been given permission for

don't know about android but for apple:

-any permissions that pop up a dialog are enforced at the API level, if you tap no and the app makes the call anyway they get an error or a blank/useless result

-the app store has a whitelist of permitted calls and using anything not on this list will get you automatically rejected. there are ways around this but if you're caught using them apple gets mad at you and has pulled apps over this in the past. it's also a great way to have your app spontaneously break on future ios releases

ios also enforces its sandboxes and without a real exploit you can't do peeping hijinks

haveblue fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 8, 2019

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

ymgve posted:

i think both of them deny until the user taps "ok". i know in android, every time you call a function that involves a permission you need to account for the call potentially failing, since the user could have gone into the OS settings and turned off a permission that they had previously granted

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

haveblue posted:

not shocking at all really

that's a little different than the headline makes it sound. that's not live user tracking in direct contravention of the permission flags, that's failure to strip exif data

yeah that's kind of a bullshit headline. its a bug in the OS

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
“Like many photo services, Shutterfly uses this data to enhance the user experience with features such as categorization and personalized product suggestions”

loving love personalized product suggestions based on my metadata!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i love personalized targeted offers from my favourite brands! but how will they know which are which without scanning and tagging every photo i've ever taken?

truly, i feel the added value this platform provides

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

quote:

• We designed a pipeline for automatically discovering vulnerabilities in the Android permissions system through a combination of dynamic and static analysis, in effect creating a scalable honeypot environment.
• We tested our pipeline on more than 88,000 apps and discovered a number of vulnerabilities, which we responsibly disclosed. These apps were downloaded from the U.S. Google Play Store and include popular apps from all categories. We further describe the vulnerabilities in detail, and measure the degree to which they are in active use, and thus pose a threat to users. We discovered covert and side channels used in the wild that compromise both users’ location data and persistent identifers.
• We discovered companies getting the MAC addresses of the connected WiFi base stations from the ARP cache. This can be used as a surrogate for location data. We found 5 apps exploiting this vulnerability and 5 with the pertinent code to do so.
• We discovered Unity obtaining the device MAC address using ioctl system calls. The MAC address can be used to uniquely identify the device. We found 42 apps exploiting this vulnerability and 12,408 apps with the pertinent code to do so.
• We also discovered that third-party libraries provided by two Chinese companies—Baidu and Salmonads— independently make use of the SD card as a covert channel, so that when an app can read the phone’s IMEI, it stores it for other apps that cannot. We found 159 apps with the potential to exploit this covert channel and empirically found 13 apps doing so.
• We found one app that used picture metadata as a side
channel to access precise location information despite
not holding location permissions.

It's a good read. The issue of twinned apps with different permissions has been around for a long time (read up on "gemini" for someone's blatantly obvious proof of concept). There's only so much that can be done if you allow apps to interact with each other.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.heise.de/ct/artikel/Logitech-keyboards-and-mice-vulnerable-to-extensive-cyber-attacks-4464533.html

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
it's amazing how bad android is

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

https://github.com/omniauth/omniauth/pull/809

I am seriously upset with this Github thread. In 2015 there is a omniauth model mitm vulnerability that is technically possible due to Ruby on Rails not protecting redirects with mandatory CSRF tokens. There are several solutions that can be done either manually or with a new dependency installation, but now people are suddenly concerned about this poo poo again because it is blowing up security audits. I hate how the whole thing is getting handled. Mostly because it doesn't involve a dependency update and no one knows where the problem is technically occurring.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
who the gently caress is using ruby in 2019?

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

Shaggar posted:

You poor sweet summer child.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Diva Cupcake posted:

The ippsec videos for HackTheBox are still up but he’s been pushing people to his patreon to download the raw files. worth the $10 imo.

Didnt even know he had one somehow. Ill have to check it out his stuff is enjoyable

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Shaggar posted:

if you click on that link, you'll be at a site using ruby in 2019.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that's insane

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

Shaggar posted:

that's insane

What should everyone be using, then?

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

CmdrRiker posted: