Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Mr.Radar posted:

Sigh, there's another security update. Be sure you upgrade to 67.0.4 or 60.7.2. :siren: This one appears to be more fixes related to that zero-day vulnerability from earlier this week.

The bug reports are still embargoed for a while longer, anyone know when the 68 beta was patched?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Ola posted:

If there's an important update, they should trigger a warning. Notification dot on the hamburger button or something.

They pop up a notification saying there's an update with buttons to download/ignore it. The alternative is that it automatically installs updates. What more do you want?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Geemer posted:

They pop up a notification saying there's an update with buttons to download/ignore it. The alternative is that it automatically installs updates. What more do you want?

There's always some dumbshit they want you to update for, like changing the logo. That's different from "holy poo poo there's zero-days going around right now update this instant"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Harik posted:

There's always some dumbshit they want you to update for, like changing the logo. That's different from "holy poo poo there's zero-days going around right now update this instant"

It's amazing that you really believe any of the 6-week releases contain nothing beyond logo updates.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

fishmech posted:

It's amazing that you really believe any of the 6-week releases contain nothing beyond logo updates.

It's amazing that america's smartest boy managed to accomplish that reading of what I said. A++ work there.

E: Since apparently you need the obvious spelled out for you, there's a difference between fixing a zero-day and improving CSS rendering performance.

Harik fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 21, 2019

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Harik posted:

It's amazing that america's smartest boy managed to accomplish that reading of what I said. A++ work there.

E: Since apparently you need the obvious spelled out for you, there's a difference between fixing a zero-day and improving CSS rendering performance.

That would be relevant to some other browser.
Firefox's major version releases are constantly fixing security issues though, with the minor releases always being either a fix for major stability/functionality issues or a fix for an urgent security issue - which means there's no reason skip them. Quit being a spoiled child.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

fishmech posted:

That would be relevant to some other browser.
Firefox's major version releases are constantly fixing security issues though, with the minor releases always being either a fix for major stability/functionality issues or a fix for an urgent security issue - which means there's no reason skip them. Quit being a spoiled child.

quote:

Version 67.0.1, first offered to Release channel users on June 4, 2019

With this update, Firefox will now guide our users through a path to Join Firefox which will allow you to maximize the benefits from our family of respectful tech products.

In this version, Firefox helps you get better acquainted with our family of products and services through a new experience that includes a set of web pages and in-browser notifications.
You heard it here folks, the critical security flaw of not being advertised to enough. Stop being spoiled children and put those eyeballs to work!

Other notable features in this point release for security:

quote:

With this release, a number of our products and services are expanding their capabilities. Coupled with our browser, and with a Firefox account, they extend your online privacy and security and increase convenience, giving you peace of mind.

Integrates:
Firefox Container
Firefox Lockwise
Firefox Monitor 2.0
Firefox Send
And the only worthwhile reason to update, subsuming a privacy extension into the core browser. Great if you don't have blockers, pointless if you do.

I didn't go cherry-pick, that's the point release right before the pair of security fixes when the first wasn't enough.

E: I was off by one. 67.0.2 didn't have any security fixes either though, just some usability tweaks for edge cases.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Geemer posted:

I don't think I've ever seen that notification.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

~Coxy posted:

I don't think I've ever seen that notification.

You must have it set on automatic, although I think it still tells you that it updated, after the fact. Or it used to?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Geemer posted:

I automatically download the update and I don't close my browser for weeks, so I don't see any message. If there's a security patch in it, I'd like some notification.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Ola posted:

I automatically download the update and I don't close my browser for weeks, so I don't see any message. If there's a security patch in it, I'd like some notification.

Oh, well that's dumb. You'd think they'd realize there's plenty of people like you and at least show the notification if the update has been waiting for a browser restart for a couple of days.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Geemer posted:

Oh, well that's dumb. You'd think they'd realize there's plenty of people like you and at least show the notification if the update has been waiting for a browser restart for a couple of days.

Browser needs a restart before it can give you a notification that it needs a restart.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I'd imagine that the number of people who leave the browser running for weeks at a time is actually quite small, but still a notification wouldn't be amiss.

For the people ITT who are using firefox like that, you probably want to switch over to "Check for updates but let you choose to install them" in the options because that gives those repeated popups like Geemer's screenshot.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

"An update is available but you need to restart to actually get it" is a pretty common feature and I don't see why you should need to disable automatic updates for that. I pretty clearly remember seeing a notice like that in Chrome. Even Spotify's minimum effort electron desktop app does it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Progressive JPEG posted:

"An update is available but you need to restart to actually get it" is a pretty common feature and I don't see why you should need to disable automatic updates for that. I pretty clearly remember seeing a notice like that in Chrome. Even Spotify's minimum effort electron desktop app does it.
I've had a green dot on the hamburger menu icon indicating just that. Click it and a message to urge you to restart is at the top of the menu. But I've only ever seen it on a computer I don't use often and have set to hibernate, so it might take weeks to trigger for all I know.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Klyith posted:

I'd imagine that the number of people who leave the browser running for weeks at a time is actually quite small, but still a notification wouldn't be amiss.

For the people ITT who are using firefox like that, you probably want to switch over to "Check for updates but let you choose to install them" in the options because that gives those repeated popups like Geemer's screenshot.

Yeah, I probably should. It's totally capable of triggering notifications, they just haven't thought of that specific scenario, even though the Firefox devs probably hoard tabs just as bad as I do.

Chrome has that dot on the hamburger button, Windows does a song and dance about active hours, any software that can download updates can also notify that they are ready to install.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Progressive JPEG posted:

You can wait for them to implement such a reminder, or you can do the next best thing right now :shrug:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I want to clarify that when I was talking about the dot on the hamburger menu, that I was talking about Firefox doing it.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Firefox already notifies you if it’s been waiting more than 24 hours to install an update that it downloaded. If you’re not getting that notification, your configuration is probably hosed.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Avenging Dentist posted:

If you’re not getting that notification, your configuration is probably hosed.

Are there Firefox installs that are not somehow slightly broken?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Avenging Dentist posted:

Firefox already notifies you if it’s been waiting more than 24 hours to install an update that it downloaded. If you’re not getting that notification, your configuration is probably hosed.

Hmm, maybe I was just impatient because I read about the update elsewhere first. I'll wait and see the next time.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Firefox 68 got a new about :addons page, and it includes this at the bottom:

Any ideas how to turn it off? I have "Recommend extensions as you browse" unchecked, and I've tried toggling "extensions.htmlaboutaddons.discover.enabled" which had no effect.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

xamphear posted:

Firefox 68 got a new about :addons page, and it includes this at the bottom:

Any ideas how to turn it off? I have "Recommend extensions as you browse" unchecked, and I've tried toggling "extensions.htmlaboutaddons.discover.enabled" which had no effect.

Go into about :config and toggle extensions.htmlaboutaddons.recommendations.enabled to false

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

overmind2000 posted:

Go into about :config and toggle extensions.htmlaboutaddons.recommendations.enabled to false
That's the one, thank you.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I wanted to put more links on my New Tabs page, but had maxed out the number of columns and rows the Options/Home menu lets you have.

4 rows, 6 columns.

Or 8 columns if you go into about :config**.

Turns out you can add more rows to your heart's content, but 8 columns is the most you're going to get now.

Yes, you used to be able to set it to whatever you wanted with browser.newtabpage.columns but that code no longer exists.

Why the everliving gently caress would you decide to cap the columns at 8? Monitors are getting bigger and wider all the time but Mozilla is stepping backwards.

:sigh:

** Okay, the code I originally used to set this up, browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.enableWideLayout seems to no longer exist in version 67 yet I still somehow have 8 columns.

Better not think too hard about it or Firefox might hear me and delete those 2 extra columns.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 25, 2019

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > Firefox - Mozilla is stepping backwards.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Is there some kind of Tampermonkey script that will strip the stupid &hl=en from Google search results? And/or keep searches clean (i.e. I search for Tampermonkey, and the URL bar has all sorts of gibberish in it, instead of just being https://www.google.com/search?q=Tampermonkey)

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Kheldarn posted:

Is there some kind of Tampermonkey script that will strip the stupid &hl=en from Google search results? And/or keep searches clean (i.e. I search for Tampermonkey, and the URL bar has all sorts of gibberish in it, instead of just being https://www.google.com/search?q=Tampermonkey)

I use these two things to clean various links:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/link-cleaner/
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/dont-track-me-google1/

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Progressive JPEG posted:

If you read this entire thread and the past 15 years of precedessors, you'd see the threads full of people say they updated FF, and stuff broke. I have automatic updates turned off, because I don't want to spend hours every other month fighting against updates that just break stuff and give me nothing positive. I update once in a blue moon, but that's it. Just look at the shitshow of the Quantum update, how many months did it take for FF to become usable again with some fundamental add-ons restored and major issues fixed? I waited over a year with going from old to Quantum, and after switching, it took me months to get it comfortable again. I appreciated the improvement in performance and stability, but that's about it, everything else got worse for me. And FF is still a memory leaking hog [reposting from 2003].

I just recommend that people always check this thread or Reddit before updating FF, because stuff can and will break with updates. Then you can decide after a while if it's worth the version upgrade.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

For the second security update, the only hint that the update was pending was when I went into About Firefox and there was a button there to restart and apply the update. No other indication anywhere in the regular UI that a critical security update was waiting for me.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Pilsner posted:

I just recommend that people always check this thread or Reddit before updating FF, because stuff can and will break with updates. Then you can decide after a while if it's worth the version upgrade.

I'm not gonna spend that kind of time janitoring my browser. I've never had a problem caused by an update, and running an unpatched browser is far too risky. If a given version had problems it wouldn't be a big deal because I could always just install the previous version.

The lack of any issues could be because I only have around 5 addons installed, not dozens. Too many addons comes with its own risk, both in terms of weird interactions causing problems and in terms of increased attackable surface area.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Currently using Firefox without Sync enabled so I am assuming that all my saved passwords and other information is saved onto my computer. If I enable Sync and create an account, do I have the option to sign in to another computer, delete all my passwords + bookmarks + other information, and that deletion will carry over to the original computer?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

:eyepop: i hate when sites do that poo poo precisely because it fucks with visited links

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Busy Bee posted:

Currently using Firefox without Sync enabled so I am assuming that all my saved passwords and other information is saved onto my computer. If I enable Sync and create an account, do I have the option to sign in to another computer, delete all my passwords + bookmarks + other information, and that deletion will carry over to the original computer?

You can control what syncs. Bookmarks, history, open tabs, logins/passwords, postal addresses, addons, and program options are the choices. If you enable password sync, then yes, deleting a password will erase it from all instances of Firefox that also sync passwords.

You could, I believe, turn off password sync on a single device and let it maintain its own local password store, but I haven't ever tried that so I don't know if it would work.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

hell yes fuckin installed thank you

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Nalin posted:

You can control what syncs. Bookmarks, history, open tabs, logins/passwords, postal addresses, addons, and program options are the choices. If you enable password sync, then yes, deleting a password will erase it from all instances of Firefox that also sync passwords.

You could, I believe, turn off password sync on a single device and let it maintain its own local password store, but I haven't ever tried that so I don't know if it would work.

Thank you for the explanation. The reason why I asked is because I currently have two laptops - one for work and another for personal use that is just sitting at home. I tend to use my work laptop more often just for some personal use such as checking my personal Gmail account. In the case that I have to turn in my work laptop or for any reason where I can't access the HD anymore, I would like an option to delete all stored information on my Firefox on my work laptop.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Busy Bee posted:

Thank you for the explanation. The reason why I asked is because I currently have two laptops - one for work and another for personal use that is just sitting at home. I tend to use my work laptop more often just for some personal use such as checking my personal Gmail account. In the case that I have to turn in my work laptop or for any reason where I can't access the HD anymore, I would like an option to delete all stored information on my Firefox on my work laptop.

You will need to launch Firefox and wait for a little while for the sync to happen, so if you want to keep the two identities a bit more separate, use private browsing and log in to Gmail every time or perhaps a password manager where you'll need to re-enter the master password every time you open the browser.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Anyone experiencing weirdness with YouTube? I've got a video playing in a tab and if I click on another tab and then go back to the YouTube tab, it pauses and reloads the video. Granted, I don't lose my position in the video but it's annoying. I'm on FF 67.0.4.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

YouTube does some weird XSS poo poo to get your Gmail login attached, including reloading the page. Maybe that's it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

All of a sudden my bookmarks bar and link folders have all alphabetized and its driving me bonkers.

I don't have the option checked off in bookmarks and manually rearranging only works until the next time I start up Firefox.

Help. :(