Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Sampatrick posted:

Uh based on what? Like, financially sure, but in terms of finding new players, that's basically never been true. Chinese contracts are also extremely draconian and have extremely severe penalties for trying to leave. Giving established Chinese teams even more power over up and coming players seems like a huge mistake to me.

China has been extremely dominant over the years compared to literally any other country. We treat it like a region. A huge number of incredible players throughout the years have been Chinese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

TheRat posted:

China has been extremely dominant over the years compared to literally any other country. We treat it like a region. A huge number of incredible players throughout the years have been Chinese.

That's because China is a region. (Edit: This comes off as extremely flippant. What I mean is that China is a country of over a billion people; of course you would expect it to have more good players than any other country. This isn't like South Korea's dominance in League of Legends.) In any case, you could make the exact same argument for EU or what have you. Rotk has talked about this at length: Chinese teams are bad at picking up new talent and sign people to really lovely contracts.

shades of blue fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 8, 2019

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I think you’re loving stupid

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

So we shouldn't trust Chinese player Rotk's opinion about Chinese teams and should instead trust you?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Sampatrick posted:

So we shouldn't trust Chinese player Rotk's opinion about Chinese teams and should instead trust you?

you know the team Rotk coaches is full of new talent right? Same with LGD last year. These were players that were developed through the robust tier 2/academy system that China has.

Yes you are dumb as poo poo

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

And those were after he upgraded from destroying keyboards.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
There have been Youth/B teams for several of the Chinese orgs for a while now, which is a lot more than essentially any non-Chinese team can say

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
the spirit of craptacular lives on

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

you know the team Rotk coaches is full of new talent right? Same with LGD last year. These were players that were developed through the robust tier 2/academy system that China has.

Yes you are dumb as poo poo

Yeah, LGD in 2018 was full of new talent like uh well Maybe is from 2015, fy is obviously old school, xNova is a newish SEA player, well I guess Ame and Chalice were new Chinese players.

Like come the gently caress on dude Rotk's team is literally him trying to prove the rest of China wrong. He talked about this a year ago. You're also not responding at all to the extremely lovely contracts that Chinese players are forced to sign if they want to join any teams. For fucks sake, just read his Weibo post.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

emdash posted:

There have been Youth/B teams for several of the Chinese orgs for a while now, which is a lot more than essentially any non-Chinese team can say

Yeah, isn’t this mostly just setting up a formal competition for all those Youth/B teams that already exist?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

emdash posted:

Yes, obviously, that doesn't mean that Chinese teams are actually better at finding new players than EU teams are or what have you. They also sign those players to really lovely contracts so that they literally can't leave for several years. So they financially do support new players, but they certainly aren't finding more new players, and what they do when they find new players is really loving lovely. That's why it's not a good thing for all the Chinese teams to organize to buy up literally every new player and trap them in lovely loving contracts.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I hope a South American team wins The International 9 by selecting the hero Grimstroke, IMO.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

rjmccall posted:

Yeah, isn’t this mostly just setting up a formal competition for all those Youth/B teams that already exist?

Formalizing the predatory policies of Chinese teams is really lovely and is why Valve should take a more hands on approach to every region.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Centzon Totochtin posted:

the spirit of craptacular lives on

It might just be worse than that

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Come on now

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
ive seen some mentions to a github program to remove hats from dota2, any of u know what the program is?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

ive seen some mentions to a github program to remove hats from dota2, any of u know what the program is?

https://github.com/No-Bling/DOTA

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

TOOT BOOT posted:

I don't think Valve gives a poo poo about growing Dota anymore, to the extent that they ever did care

Woah now, we got TEN FREE LEVELS in our battlepasses when we gave valve more money than last year buddy

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

late but lmao gambit

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Does SA not know you can eat Aghs and get a better 6th slot?

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

ILL Machina posted:

And those were after he upgraded from destroying keyboards.

lol yea thats right he doesn't he have just a stable of replacement keyboards sittin around, gorgc owns

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Gorgc owns but he also can't like mentally shut out people trying to make him mad in his chat and I've seen streams where he seems like legit about to have a mental breakdown. Which is usually funny as a viewer of course but I feel bad for the dude sometimes.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
SA region-crashers HAM eliminated in the qualifier group stages.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
100k hero damage on a sniper.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm a tiltlord but gently caress destroying my own poo poo over this game, that's just foolish

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
gently caress yeah the euros got eliminated from the SA qualifier.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

I’m not aware of the whole qualification process but how did that even happen? Shouldn’t they have been immediately DQ’d?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Libertine posted:

I’m not aware of the whole qualification process but how did that even happen? Shouldn’t they have been immediately DQ’d?

They’ve been living in SA for a while so they were ok.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

I know you explained it in your following post but goddamn I'll never understand how that stack managed to play in South America.

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
Bot TI baby!

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
They did have an Argentinian on the team, but yeah, four out-of-region players was really sketchy and all right-minded people should be glad they failed.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

rjmccall posted:

They did have an Argentinian on the team, but yeah, four out-of-region players was really sketchy and all right-minded people should be glad they failed.

Right-minded people don't have anything to do with this game/genre

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

TOOT BOOT posted:

Right-minded people don't have anything to do with this game/genre

Yes, but if you tracked them down at the orphanage and took their tray of medicine away and forced them to listen to an explanation of the structure of the Dota region system and its secondary consequences, they would probably agree that playing out of region with a single token team member isn’t okay, and it might not just be a ploy to get their tray back.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
BOT TI IS ON

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Kunkka didn't have tidebringer?

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
this is dota bumfights and I love it so much

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
I predict my boy shadow demon goes to bot ti finals unless he runs into aba earlier.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Gorgc owns but he also can't like mentally shut out people trying to make him mad in his chat and I've seen streams where he seems like legit about to have a mental breakdown. Which is usually funny as a viewer of course but I feel bad for the dude sometimes.

Yeah, his tiltability is one of the biggest things keeping him from being on a decent team. He's acknowledged it on stream and has said he's trying to get better about keeping levelheaded while still being very passionate about the game.

I don't personally have the impulse to lash out with my limbs when I'm frustrated and I break, but I definitely know people like that. Playing dota for more than eight hours a day seems to break your brain and you'll inevitability become unhealthily invested in a trivial thing like a team fight.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I do love gorc stream when they are chill so I hope the dude puts up a good showing in TI