Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yah, im done with it now and it was the sequel I was hoping S2 to be. If you didn’t like S1 or the 80s retro you wont like this. It’s 80s all the way down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Philthy posted:

Yah, im done with it now and it was the sequel I was hoping S2 to be. If you didn’t like S1 or the 80s retro you wont like this. It’s 80s all the way down.

That's fine, as long as it's not whatever the hell season 2 was.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I just finished season 3 and I really disliked it, the writing felt much lazier and hackier then before and the end was straight up boring. Stranger Things is gonna be one of those shows for me that had an incredible first season I can watch again and again but the rest fell flat. Usually it’s the other way around

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Stranger Things has basically just quietly transitioned into being a full-on parody at this point.

The jokes are pretty good, but the sci-fi/horror aspect is plain shoddy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yo, don't sleep on Easy on Netflix. Despite the boring name it's absolutely loving phenomenal.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

precision posted:

Yo, don't sleep on Easy on Netflix. Despite the boring name it's absolutely loving phenomenal.
I find it very hit or miss, but the one-off starring an actor who calls himself Nicky Excitement was hilarious.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

precision posted:

I know I watched the first two seasons. I remember nothing about them except that Marc Maron is in some episodes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nihonniboku posted:

I know I watched the first two seasons. I remember nothing about them except that Marc Maron is in some episodes.

The first Kate Micucci episode (Tindr Threesome) is aces

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Frog Act posted:

I just finished season 3 and I really disliked it, the writing felt much lazier and hackier then before and the end was straight up boring. Stranger Things is gonna be one of those shows for me that had an incredible first season I can watch again and again but the rest fell flat. Usually it’s the other way around

Kinda just felt like a horror action caper this time around. I don't feel like it added anything to the mythos of the show and just worked with existing ideas, which is unfortunate, but I still enjoyed it.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Glottis posted:

Kinda just felt like a horror action caper this time around. I don't feel like it added anything to the mythos of the show and just worked with existing ideas, which is unfortunate, but I still enjoyed it.

I more or less agree with this but I think the action horror part was bad. Everything happened in a drearily predictable order, the monster was boring and things just happened because they were necessary to advance the plot and no other real reason, and the pacing was downright bizarre. So it like, hosed up a potentially fascinating mythos and setting for some B-movie tribute to the original season

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Frog Act posted:

I more or less agree with this but I think the action horror part was bad. Everything happened in a drearily predictable order, the monster was boring and things just happened because they were necessary to advance the plot and no other real reason, and the pacing was downright bizarre. So it like, hosed up a potentially fascinating mythos and setting for some B-movie tribute to the original season

I haven’t seen the third season yet, but it sounds like they’re suffering from the Star Wars problem, where the original go was a love letter to a bunch of stuff the creators liked wrapped in a compelling story, and the follow-up is more or less forced to be a “love letter” to their own creation, which loses a lot of the heart. That doesn’t mean it’s all bad, just that there isn’t as much contagious passion.

Season 2 definitely was showing some of this.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The ship has sailed at this point but the series would've been better off with the Eleven/Upside Down story being completed with Season 1, and have the gang encounter some new Strange Thing each season. Same popular characters interacting, but with the freedom to explore other genres/subgenres without being tied to this ongoing Upside Down story that kinda ran it's course already.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah, they’re tied to the upside down but they don’t use it at all - you never see it in the third season, it’s not clear why the new bad guys care, and it isn’t clear why it matters whether it’s open or not

Also the seasons setting being principally in a mall was maybe the most cynically contrived thing I’ve ever seen, because it allowed them to work seven or eight contemporary brand names into almost every shot, and they even had two whole 30+ second scenes about Coca Cola, which grossed me out some, as I can tolerate add placement, but not that much of it

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I figured the Russians had been using the Upside Down as a backdoor to transport troops for an invasion, but the season never makes this clear and then decides they’re also using it to capture monsters so :shrug:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I figured the Russians had been using the Upside Down as a backdoor to transport troops for an invasion, but the season never makes this clear and then decides they’re also using it to capture monsters so :shrug:

Exactly if they had just taken like ten minutes out of the entire season for some exposition beyond the Russians are bad and evil and want to open the bad place it would have been fine, but them being totally without motivation was just baffling and lazy, as the US government had obvious reasons for their actions in the first season. which is why having them be the good guys running in to rescue the protags frustrated me, it was just a complete lack of acknowledgement of the earlier seasons

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I assumed that (Season 3 spoiler)the Russians didn't really need a specific reason to be interested, it's just one of those Cold War things where they feel like they have to be the first to have access to the Upside Down because if it can somehow be weaponized then they want to be the ones doing it, not the Americans.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Season 2 was a huge turd, and they got a lot of (deserved)flak for trying to set up their own XMen universe with endless spinoffs. People just wanted more Season 1, so they did that for this season and it was fantastic. It's not as good as S1, but it's close. The Neverending Story bit was amazing. I think what people just want at this point is an entire season of the kids hanging out with 80s retro awesome. Kinda hopeful they go that route with season 4 because the horror stuff is kind of holding these characters and show back at this point.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

The ship has sailed at this point but the series would've been better off with the Eleven/Upside Down story being completed with Season 1, and have the gang encounter some new Strange Thing each season. Same popular characters interacting, but with the freedom to explore other genres/subgenres without being tied to this ongoing Upside Down story that kinda ran it's course already.
Yeah, it's actually kind of bizarre that they didn't go with this approach.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Philthy posted:

Season 2 was a huge turd, and they got a lot of (deserved)flak for trying to set up their own XMen universe with endless spinoffs. People just wanted more Season 1, so they did that for this season and it was fantastic. It's not as good as S1, but it's close. The Neverending Story bit was amazing. I think what people just want at this point is an entire season of the kids hanging out with 80s retro awesome. Kinda hopeful they go that route with season 4 because the horror stuff is kind of holding these characters and show back at this point.

This show should absolutely not drop the sci-fi and become an 80s teen dramedy.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Was the Russian heavy ever a stunt double for Arnold? Or the "young" Arnold they CGI'd Arnold's face on for Terminator Salvation?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

New Aziz Ansari special was good.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

mystes posted:

It's not . They know most of their audience is really invested in Eleven's relationship with the other characters, romantic or otherwise. But I don't know why they can't just put her in those non-Upside Down stories too.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 10, 2019

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I just finished S3 of Stranger Things last night, and while I enjoyed it, it's charm is definitely beginning to wear thin. As others have said, this season didn't really add anything new to the mythos of the show, and while I liked the teams approach to the plot, it took entirely too long for them to come together. I'm also finding it more and more difficult to care when the stakes are so low because absolutely none of the characters are ever in any real danger due to plot armor. Hopper escaping through the gate was obvious as poo poo, but they couldn't even wait until the end of the credits to reveal he's still alive. They barely have enough characterization or things to do for all of the child characters and they keep adding more! (How many times do I need to see Will grab the back of his neck and say, "He's here!"?)

I realize I sound a little harsh on this season, but I did enjoy it. It's more that I feel they REALLY need to shake things up in the 4th (final?) season to keep things interesting.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Lycus posted:

This show should absolutely not drop the sci-fi and become an 80s teen dramedy.

Nah, I think whoever said it best: "They need a Scoops Ahoy show NOW!"

Dustybun and Suziepoo 4ever.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I almost turned the show off completely when they started singing to each other and the background music kicked in, it was just so incongruous with the gravity of the situation. The more I think about the third season, the more I dislike it, I think the only part in the whole show worse than the last episode was the standalone one in season 2 that just baffled everyone

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I hated the NeverEnding Story bit because it went on for loving ever

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I'm pretty forgiving, but even I rolled my eyes when it....just....kept...GOING.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Brocktoon posted:

I'm pretty forgiving, but even I rolled my eyes when it....just....kept...GOING.

Like it was a story that was never ending

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was gonna order tickets for Spider-Man tonight but the theater is also playing The NeverEnding story so we're watching that instead.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

mystes posted:

The show was originally supposed to be an anthology series. Then a few high-profile anthology serieses came out and the Duffer brothers decided against it, so I'm sure there's remnants there.

I guess I'm super weird because I actually enjoyed S2 more than S3. Bob's character was great, Will's whole situation was more mysterious and interesting (instead of just the aforementioned neck touching), and the stakes rose in a more satisfying way for me. Yeah the Eleven spinoff episode was a little goofy but I don't think it deserves the hate.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I get why people are negative on the 008 episode, it breaks the pacing of the season very badly. I am pretty sure the episode before it ends with demadogs swarming the Hawkins facility and everyone is in some form of trouble and then it spends an hour on something else and zaps all of the tension. If it had been broken up across a few episodes I think people would have responded better, because it is an important part of El's growth. She realizes that she isn't driven by revenge like 008 and that the people in Hawkins are her real family, not her biological relatives or people from her past.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
ST season 1 had it’s problems, but season 1 was really fun to watch. Season 2 not so much for me, but I found season 3 just as fun to watch as season 1. Also just as important once I was ready for it be over it was over. It really did a nice job of pacing, and limiting itself to 8 episodes (too bad Jessica Jones never learn this lesson). Still in the end it committed Speinwall’s chief complaint about most Netflix shows, it was an 8 hour movie instead of an actual TV series.

Frog Act posted:

Also the seasons setting being principally in a mall was maybe the most cynically contrived thing I’ve ever seen, because it allowed them to work seven or eight contemporary brand names into almost every shot, and they even had two whole 30+ second scenes about Coca Cola, which grossed me out some, as I can tolerate add placement, but not that much of it

I guess I didn’t let the add placements bother me (I can only think of Gap and Coke off the top of my head), since they were suppose to be at a mall. Just to be sure that ice cream place is not a real place is it (please let it be)? You make it sound like the reason they used a mall location was to do product/add placements. No they used a mall location because that is where teenagers worked and hung out (I can confirm I spent a lot of my free time from 86-89 hanging around the mall), and you can’t have a mall without stores. The Russians? They are playing up the Cold War paranoia that was still a part of growing up in the 80’s, and that was ever present in the media at the time. I was fine they kept the Russian stuff generic (let’s do it before the evil USA gets the power first and uses it against the motherland was pretty much applied) like a typical 80’s action movie.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Scoops Ahoy isn't real but Hot Dog On A Stick is, oddly enough. I haven't seen one in 20 years but I remember back in the 90s they had this awful uniform where their employees had to wear a fez.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hot Dog on a Stick had legit great corn dogs

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

TOOT BOOT posted:

Scoops Ahoy isn't real but Hot Dog On A Stick is, oddly enough. I haven't seen one in 20 years but I remember back in the 90s they had this awful uniform where their employees had to wear a fez.

I remember only hearing of it for the first time on an episode of I think Fresh Prince. I just looked it up, and it looks like it still exists, but only in the southwest and California. So I guess if we're getting picky, it's extremely unlikely that they would have been in a New Jersey mall. But neither would be demogorgans.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
There's a Scoops Ahoy pop up in Burbank, CA that is open for another 2 days, it's a Baskin-Robbins marking thing.

https://www2.baskinrobbins.com/en/strangerthings

They are also selling some Scoops Ahoy flavors at Target too.

https://www.target.com/c/ice-cream-frozen-foods-grocery/-/N-5xsz2Zy3fev?Nao=0

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

nate fisher posted:

ST season 1 had it’s problems, but season 1 was really fun to watch. Season 2 not so much for me, but I found season 3 just as fun to watch as season 1. Also just as important once I was ready for it be over it was over. It really did a nice job of pacing, and limiting itself to 8 episodes (too bad Jessica Jones never learn this lesson). Still in the end it committed Speinwall’s chief complaint about most Netflix shows, it was an 8 hour movie instead of an actual TV series.

I guess I didn’t let the add placements bother me (I can only think of Gap and Coke off the top of my head), since they were suppose to be at a mall. Just to be sure that ice cream place is not a real place is it (please let it be)? You make it sound like the reason they used a mall location was to do product/add placements. No they used a mall location because that is where teenagers worked and hung out (I can confirm I spent a lot of my free time from 86-89 hanging around the mall), and you can’t have a mall without stores. The Russians? They are playing up the Cold War paranoia that was still a part of growing up in the 80’s, and that was ever present in the media at the time. I was fine they kept the Russian stuff generic (let’s do it before the evil USA gets the power first and uses it against the motherland was pretty much applied) like a typical 80’s action movie.

Right I understand why they used those two things, but I also think it’s pretty clear they went all in on the worst possible version of a mall and Russian antagonists - the Russians are faceless and thoughtless bad guys, and the basically every shot in the mall was done in a way that made sure lots of contemporary brand logos were visible or prominent. Heck, the scene where one of the kids is drinking new coke was totally unnecessary and bizarre, it felt like just a straight up advertisement

In the original Dawn of the Dead I don’t recall feeling very advertised to, but at the end of Stranger Things I felt like I had just left a seminar on product placement. That was just the bow on top of the general train wreck of the season though. Just because dumb Cold War movies depicted the Russians that way doesn’t mean a show that was at least ambivalent about Cold War style experiments (since they hosed up Hawkins trying to get at the Russians in the first place) doesn’t mean a show today should do it - it just seems weird that they dropped the cynicism and conspiracy angle for a much more oorah, boring, recycled Bad Russians thing, but mostly I just feel they could have done without the scenes where we got to watch 15 seconds from a movie franchise, or hear about products, or watch someone do something in a mall without being exactly ten inches to the right of a big glowing orange julius or JC Penney’s sign

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 12, 2019

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

There's a Scoops Ahoy pop up in Burbank, CA that is open for another 2 days, it's a Baskin-Robbins marking thing.

https://www2.baskinrobbins.com/en/strangerthings

They are also selling some Scoops Ahoy flavors at Target too.

https://www.target.com/c/ice-cream-frozen-foods-grocery/-/N-5xsz2Zy3fev?Nao=0

Can you find out where they're selling New Coke? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Edit: Most of the articles are just talking about it coming back, but I found a Wall Street Journal article that says it's only available on Coke's site, not retail stores. What bullshit. It's $20 for 2 cans of New Coke and two bottles of Stranger things glass bottles. I live in Phoenix and it's July. Even if I did order that overpriced bundle, the heat will make it explode before it gets to me. :(

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 12, 2019

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

Can you find out where they're selling New Coke? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Yo have to order it from Coca Cola directly. It’s like $20 for two cans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I'm not gonna lie -- U.S.S. Butterscotch sounds pretty good.