Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Zigmidge posted:

Good lord skate thread. Do you read yourselves?

Here's my advice:

Dad: Tell him about one thing and only one thing today and let the little guy work on that before dropping any more information on him. That's already going to be a lot to think about and work into.

This is good advice. I train adults to roller skate and if I tell em more than two things they freak out and keep forgetting all the other stuff, so yeah, baby steps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
idk he asked for advice and got it.

if you want you can ignore literally everything I said besides "keep doing that, but while moving"

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Zigmidge posted:

Good lord skate thread. Do you read yourselves?

Here's my advice:

Dad: Tell him about one thing and only one thing today and let the little guy work on that before dropping any more information on him. That's already going to be a lot to think about and work into.

I want to see rad dad kicking the kid down vert ramps for not dropping in by the end of next week

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Are you kidding me? I wish youtube tutorials were around when I learned to skate.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Are you kidding me? I wish youtube tutorials were around when I learned to skate.

When I learned to Ollie it was because some kid saw some other kid do one while he was on vacation and we all tried to figure it out based on his verbal description.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
lmfao

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

None of us had parents rich enough to afford VCRs, so we couldn't watch skate videos (and didn't know they existed... and to be honest, they might not have at that point). IT WAS A BRUTAL TIME TO BE ALIVE.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
That loving owns

I learned in the early 90s and I cannot for the life of me remember what the impetus was for actually learning to Ollie, it seems by then it was just "in the air" and you tacitly got pretty much how to do it. I did have Thrasher mags I guess. But I do remember I was at my absolute best when we'd spend every day in a summer stacking up boards and seeing who could jump over more of them.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
The first time I heard about a kickflip it was because one of my skate friends ran into an out of town guy at the local July 4th fireworks and he was doing them. The images in my mind from the verbal description of this trick were insane. You Ollie and kick your board and it does a flip????

I still remember the name of the kickflip guy, his name was Rex.

I wonder if he still skates

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I found the very first skate video I ever saw! I forget how we got ahold of it, but I remember us piling into my buddy's house to watch this. This kid was rich: he had a VCR and like a 21" COLOR TV! It was the most amazing thing we had ever seen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stdGwd3oFaA I think this video came out a year or two after the Ollie did...

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I literally learned how to do an ollie because Nickelodeon ran a short spot about how to do one repeatedly all summer in 1993.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
RIP skate master tate

MrOzzy
Nov 17, 2017
Wow, I didn't expect so many responses on such a short notice.

The most important thing first: My boy is 7, not 6. I got his age mixed up a bit :bang:. I had to promise him I would correct his age. I almost had to run the gauntlet for this mistake :doh:

Thanks for all the info. I'm sure going to check out some of the video's.

Before last weekend he was trying to Ollie while moving, but our terrace in our back yard is just barely long enough to do one run. He's often unable to finish his Ollie before the end of our little concrete slap. I told him to try the Ollie first while stationary before trying a moving one. I can let him practice on the street. It's a very low traffic street. It's paved with rough (old) asphalt, so I think he'll have some issues getting enough speed on the street. I'm thinking about getting him bigger wheels to improve on that a bit? He's now using 50mm wheels. I'm worried his tricks will be a bit harder to land with bigger wheels though.

He's also very interested in trying a truck slide. So far this is only possible in the skate park. There aren't any good edges nearby. Maybe I can build him something? Idea's are welcome!

I'm going to check with him if I can upload a video of the tricks he can do already. He's a bit shy, so I'm not sure he'll allow me to.

e: spelling

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

UFOTacoMan posted:

I still remember the name of the kickflip guy, his name was Rex.

I wonder if he still skates

His name was Rex and he could kickflip. Of course he still skates.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

MrOzzy posted:

Wow, I didn't expect so many responses on such a short notice.

The most important thing first: My boy is 7, not 6. I got his age mixed up a bit :bang:. I had to promise him I would correct his age. I almost had to run the gauntlet for this mistake :doh:

Thanks for all the info. I'm sure going to check out some of the video's.

Before last weekend he was trying to Ollie while moving, but our terrace in our back yard is just barely long enough to do one run. He's often unable to finish his Ollie before the end of our little concrete slap. I told him to try the Ollie first while stationary before trying a moving one. I can let him practice on the street. It's a very low traffic street. It's paved with rough (old) asphalt, so I think he'll have some issues getting enough speed on the street. I'm thinking about getting him bigger wheels to improve on that a bit? He's now using 50mm wheels. I'm worried his tricks will be a bit harder to land with bigger wheels though.

He's also very interested in trying a truck slide. So far this is only possible in the skate park. There aren't any good edges nearby. Maybe I can build him something? Idea's are welcome!

I'm going to check with him if I can upload a video of the tricks he can do already. He's a bit shy, so I'm not sure he'll allow me to.

e: spelling
Truck slides are known as grinds, so jot that one down :) . It's also v easy to build him something using either a long piece of angle iron glued to a wooden box, or square metal tubing (also known as "box section" in some parts of the world) mounted to a stand. DIY Skate website is an awesome resource for building this kinda stuff!

Lumpy posted:

When I learned to Ollie it was because some kid saw some other kid do one while he was on vacation and we all tried to figure it out based on his verbal description.
This is awesome.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
An easy way to start truck grinds without any work: learn slappies. They are easy and fun for the whole family! Get a bit of wax and apply to the curb out front.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
I ate poo poo rollerskating this weekend and gently caress getting old sucks. All I can think of is how when I was a teenager I'd spend entire weekends falling on my skateboard learning tricks without even getting more than a few scrapes, now in my late thirties one spill has me laid up for days. I even fell "correctly!" :sigh:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Y'all watching these Blood Wizard "The Occult" videos??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgy--Qelfc8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J60UjSgc8ZE

:eyepop:

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

io_burn posted:

I ate poo poo rollerskating this weekend and gently caress getting old sucks. All I can think of is how when I was a teenager I'd spend entire weekends falling on my skateboard learning tricks without even getting more than a few scrapes, now in my late thirties one spill has me laid up for days. I even fell "correctly!" :sigh:

Yeah, if I think back of all the falls I took as a kid and just walked away from it. A scraped knee at most.
My wrist is still sore from that little fall 2 weeks ago.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
definitely dont waste time learning tricks stationary unless its raining and you have to find the one dry spot in your area

Zigmidge posted:

An easy way to start truck grinds without any work: learn slappies. They are easy and fun for the whole family! Get a bit of wax and apply to the curb out front.

curb cuts are really good for this because they dont have to do the slappie or know how to ollie but it will teach them how to get out of a grind once they finally do

thank god i grew up on the east coast because you can find those new york style half height curbs that have the metal coping in them in any neighborhood of a major city which are nearly impossible to get hung up on

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Hell, nowadays getting out of bed hurts more than most of the slams I took when I was young.

I wonder if all those slams I took when I was young have anything to do with that? Nah... can't be.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Learning ollies took me forever because the dude in my high school who taught me said "yeah it's all in the front foot, like, you basically jump and drag the board up in the air" and that poo poo ain't helpful if you basically ignore what the back foot is doing. I'd have killed for the Braille videos when I was a kid, the ones that walk you through every step slowly, then teach you what to do with each leg individually, then finally say "now throw it all together."

Like I gave up on skating for years because of that guy's "help" learning ollies. He wasn't tryna gently caress with me, he was just a bad teacher.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Yeah don't over think the ollie. A kid said to me "just jump." You'll feel it when the board is being dragged by the front foot.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Yeah don't over think the ollie. A kid said to me "just jump." You'll feel it when the board is being dragged by the front foot.
I will say, I find they're way easier if you're moving. Standing still feels 'safer' but honestly it's way harder to me, if you're moving the board is already pressing against your front foot so you barely need to do anything but level out.

Business
Feb 6, 2007

important question I always loose the lil washers that go between your bearing and the nut am i going to fall and loose all of my teeth one day because of this????

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Probably not. It will be for another reason. I’ve seen a nut come off on someone one time though in a bowl so check your nuts often

Business
Feb 6, 2007

I'm bad at skateboarding but im thinking about becoming one of those guys at the park who yells and gets really mad every time i miss a trick so that everyone is like drat i bet he used to have tyhat trick hella dialed

Business
Feb 6, 2007

UFOTacoMan posted:

Probably not. It will be for another reason. I’ve seen a nut come off on someone one time though in a bowl so check your nuts often

I guess it doenst matter I am always going to lose them either way

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I ditch the washers on my gear the first chance I get. It's there to protect your bearing shields from getting punched in by tightening your nuts too much but if you know what you're doing all they add is noise.

Do check your nuts.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Business posted:

I'm bad at skateboarding but im thinking about becoming one of those guys at the park who yells and gets really mad every time i miss a trick so that everyone is like drat i bet he used to have tyhat trick hella dialed

I like this.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Welp, barely skated in 20 years and landed this today: https://streamable.com/isgl6

The lesson was pretty great. Carlos is a good dude. And I emerged unscathed and continue to not be a scientologist.

Edit: I tried to remove the slow mo but wasn't able to, and not shown is getting into primo, didn't just step up. Fun stuff

Garfu fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 12, 2019

MrOzzy
Nov 17, 2017

scuz posted:

Truck slides are known as grinds, so jot that one down :) . It's also v easy to build him something using either a long piece of angle iron glued to a wooden box, or square metal tubing (also known as "box section" in some parts of the world) mounted to a stand. DIY Skate website is an awesome resource for building this kinda stuff!

This is awesome.

Zigmidge posted:

No curb out front I'm afraid. We haven't found anything suitable nearby. I guess I need to find some time for a DIY building project. I just need to figure out the measurements. It's about time you Americans stop using body parts to take measurements.

Some updates:

I got him some new bearings. The old ones were squeaking a bit, so I got him some new decent ones.

It took my son some time to adjust. It really was a significant improvement.

He kept practicing his Ollie while moving and tried to make it more level in the air. Today it all came together. He allowed me to upload a video and post it here, so here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkMSOjvnFB8

His smile right after his first Ollie is just gold.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Yesssssssssss

nice hops kid

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Best part of that mid 90s movie was that first olie montage.

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzkzaP0F1X6/

Good news, El Toro was basically nothing at all.

Unrelated, "11 Minutes Of Chris Cole Destroying The Berrics" like some sort of skateboarding robot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1rpLCn2IV8

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
huh

Who told them that was going to stop the type of maniacs throwing themselves down their stairs? Were they even concerned about it at all?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Garfu posted:

Welp, barely skated in 20 years and landed this today: https://streamable.com/isgl6

The lesson was pretty great. Carlos is a good dude. And I emerged unscathed and continue to not be a scientologist.

Edit: I tried to remove the slow mo but wasn't able to, and not shown is getting into primo, didn't just step up. Fun stuff

This is cool dude. What was the vibe like at the Braille House? It seems like a cool spot to skate if you’re not getting roped into silliness.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Shrapnig posted:

This is cool dude. What was the vibe like at the Braille House? It seems like a cool spot to skate if you’re not getting roped into silliness.

It was a pretty good time. The only regular there was Carlos though. There were a couple other guys that aren't featured on the channel. Everyone was super nice.

I'm not any good and didn't hit any of the obstacles, just stuck to flat ground but there were a half dozen kids that were having a good time. I had a private lesson so I was just im an area by myself, while the skate camp used the rest of the warehouse.

Carlos is a really good teacher and left me with a lot of good tips so I can progress on my own. I had never done a shuvit in my life and he taught me it in about 5 minutes, to the point where I could land multiple in a row with some pop. Overall it was a great experience. At the very least it motivated me to start working out and get in better shape when I get home.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
In this video: me, a terrified nerd, overcomes me fear of large ramps, having never skated one before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDuP8ENsT58

Please turn your sound off cuz my buddy didn't turn his notifications off. After this I was able to get all the way to the quarter pipe and come back down fakie which a week ago was a complete pipe dream.

MrOzzy posted:

No curb out front I'm afraid. We haven't found anything suitable nearby. I guess I need to find some time for a DIY building project. I just need to figure out the measurements. It's about time you Americans stop using body parts to take measurements.

Some updates:

I got him some new bearings. The old ones were squeaking a bit, so I got him some new decent ones.

It took my son some time to adjust. It really was a significant improvement.

He kept practicing his Ollie while moving and tried to make it more level in the air. Today it all came together. He allowed me to upload a video and post it here, so here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkMSOjvnFB8

His smile right after his first Ollie is just gold.
This is awesome, Bones Reds are awesome, and you're a RadDad™.

scuz fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

scuz posted:

In this video: me, a terrified nerd, overcomes me fear of large ramps, having never skated one before.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz6FwQ3D1WtvKJatHKjEerx76hSjvTSLViR_JY0/

Please turn your sound off cuz my buddy didn't turn his notifications off. After this I was able to get all the way to the quarter pipe and come back down fakie which a week ago was a complete pipe dream.

This is awesome, Bones Reds are awesome, and you're a RadDad™.

I will watch your skateboarding but the vid is private on instagram