Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Captain Hygiene posted:

I can forgive it part of the way because I like the very old-school square-by-square vibe, but it certainly tested my patience sometimes with the convoluted layouts even before the stuff I was complaining about.

The weird thing is, it's almost a fluke that I picked it up. I know literally nothing about the series other than a vague idea of demons and dungeon crawling, so I have no clue whether this is par for the franchise course or an oddball entry.

vvv Thank you! :)

As someone who has played the SNES SMT games, which are basically Strange Journey but without QoL upgrades: SJ has the worst mazes out of all of them. Teleporter mazers! :argh:

If you're up for some great atmosphere SMT 1+2 with fan translations and patches on the SNES are some of my favorites. Spooky and weird and fun to explore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

As someone who has played the SNES SMT games, which are basically Strange Journey but without QoL upgrades: SJ has the worst mazes out of all of them. Teleporter mazers! :argh:

If you're up for some great atmosphere SMT 1+2 with fan translations and patches on the SNES are some of my favorites. Spooky and weird and fun to explore.

On the note of the SMT 1 translation, be sure to get the bug fix version, instead of the base Aeon Genesis one. Can be found here.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

AngryRobotsInc posted:

On the note of the SMT 1 translation, be sure to get the bug fix version, instead of the base Aeon Genesis one. Can be found here.

Yes, and I think it stacks with this automap hack which makes the minimap accessible from one button instead of going into the menu and choosing it. Ah, antique game design...

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I’m really not a fan of laying paths in Planet Coaster. Too often when trying to intersect a side path with a main path causes the main path to warp itself into some sort of monstrosity in order to accommodate it.

Also laying queues is awful because you have to place them grid by grid and if you mouse too close to another pathway it will steal the mouse.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Okay, Sekiro

So, is the main character Wolf just an extremely bad ninja or something? Sure, he can handle complete mooks easily enough, but anyone who's acknowledged in the game as having even a modicum of skill is marked as a boss (or miniboss, whatever), and they're extremely difficult to kill. This goes for monsters, but also pretty much goes for everyone who could reasonably be expected to have a little combat skill - a general, a shinobi hunter, a dude who's just a big, drunk, fat bandit guy. Unless you're at the point where you've more or less mastered deflecting attacks (which is way more forgiving than parrying in Dark Souls, sure, but in Dark Souls you didn't have to parry 10 attacks in a row), you're gonna die to these people, probably a few times.

So that means the first time through the game, you're most likely stuck playing as this bumbling ninja rear end in a top hat who has to seriously, aggressively abuse his special powers just to stay on par with the other fighters in the world who have actual combat skill.

It's not weird that you get one-shot by a boss in Dark Souls the first time you enter the boss arena, because the whole conceit of Dark Souls is that you're some no-name undead jerk rotting in an asylum, and the boss is a god or a huge demon with an axe. No one expects any heroics from the Soulsborne protagonists, and explicitly the only way they succeed, against all odds, is because they're able to try again. The expectation of failure is built into the story organically. When you lose to a boss in Dark Souls, well, sure, everyone loses when they try to fight those things, that's why the vast majority of the undead you encounter have all given up and just gone hollow.

Wolf's different, though. He's supposed to be a ninja who was trained from early childhood. He was apparently good enough to be given a mega-important job to protect the Divine Heir. Why can some random bandit leader just kill the poo poo out of me in two hits, but I need to slice him up a million times to break his posture, while keeping my defenses up for three different kinds of attacks? I guess, in terms of the story and lore, Wolf is just treated as if he were played by a really good player. But I dunno. In Soulsborne, I get it, I'm playing some random guy and I'm fighting eldritch gods or whatever, the only way I'm winning is using my unfair ability to retry. In Sekiro, I'm playing a highly-trained ninja fighting, at worst, a highly-trained samurai. The fact that I'll probably have to use my retry ability over and over just makes it seem like Wolf really sucks.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
It sounds like you're trying to project your own shortcomings onto Wolf, friend

But also he's a shinobi: the game hammers on about victory at all costs and Sekiro is 100% not above cheating or using cheap tactics to win

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sekiro is basically the worst ninja ever when it comes to actually being a ninja (employing foreknowledge, stealth and dirty tricks to defeat opponents, which he does not do, he just kinda walks up and stabs 99% of people), but he is still really good at killing people and the local fauna. But the ingame explanation is that the dude is just waking up out of a two-year fugue state and looks like he's about to crumble into dust so it makes sense he'd be a bit physically weak and out of his prime, if extremely tenacious.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 18:43 on Jul 8, 2019

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Also yeah all player deaths other than the first one aren't really canon to the story unlike in dark souls

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The whole point of a ninja is to cheat, play dirty, and avoid direct combat at all costs

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

KingSlime posted:

It sounds like you're trying to project your own shortcomings onto Wolf, friend

But also he's a shinobi: the game hammers on about victory at all costs and Sekiro is 100% not above cheating or using cheap tactics to win

Well, sure, when I've beaten the game and go back I'll probably be able to handle the early game bosses easily. Wolf will kick the poo poo out of them and look cool doing it, too.

But the first time through I'm not gonna be able to do that, which is a fact that's built into the game. Dark Souls and Bloodborne acknowledge that well, I don't think Sekiro does.

KingSlime posted:

Also yeah all player deaths other than the first one aren't really canon to the story unlike in dark souls

Then what's the deal with the Dragonrot?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Samuringa posted:

The whole point of a ninja is to cheat, play dirty, and avoid direct combat at all costs

You can't really do that in Sekiro, which is a big contributor to why he is not great at being one. The guy's job description doesn't match up with what you actually do in the game other than sneaking through the grass and jumping onto people from roofs.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Casey Finnigan posted:

Then what's the deal with the Dragonrot?

:shrug: a classic myazaki handwave?

CJacobs posted:

You can't really do that in Sekiro, which is a big contributor to why he is not great at being one. The guy's job description doesn't match up with what you actually do in the game other than sneaking through the grass and jumping onto people from roofs.

You absolutely can: items and prosthetics. They're completely unnecessary to beating any enemy or boss. For example I stunlocked the hell out of the ape with oil urns and the flame axe

Late game encounters almost force you to find an unfair advantage due to how hard they are. Puppeteering dudes and cheap tricks like pocket sand were vital in keeping heat off me during the harder miniboss fights at the end

E: at least until you become a deflection god and wreck everyone with your blade alone

KingSlime has a new favorite as of 18:57 on Jul 8, 2019

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Emma explains it vaguely at some point. When you die the first time you're using the power in your blood to resurrect, but when you die the second time that power's depleted and you draw on the life force of nearby random townsfolk, hence the dragonrot.

The enemies respawning when this happens is classic Miyazaki handwave though

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

KingSlime posted:

:shrug: a classic myazaki handwave?

You absolutely can: items and prosthetics. They're completely unnecessary to beating any enemy or boss. For example I stunlocked the hell out of the ape with oil urns and the flame axe

Late game encounters almost force you to find an unfair advantage due to how hard they are. Puppeteering dudes and cheap tricks like pocket sand were vital in keeping heat off me during the harder miniboss fights at the end

E: at least until you become a deflection god and wreck everyone with your blade alone

I mean sure, but the stealth itself in Sekiro is imo the weakest part of it due to its simplicity and the binary nature of 'yes you've been seen or no you haven't been seen'. You do have a number of tricks up your sleeve (literally) in actual combat but hardly any of them are of use when it comes to the sneaking around part.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I did find it a hair silly that you’re supposed to be a badass ninja nobody sees coming except the level design is still loaded with enemies waiting just around every corner for a John Sekiro to come by to ambush, forced encounters with enemies who will automatically spot you with nothing you can do about it, and so on, exactly as if it was a souls game

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Digirat posted:

I did find it a hair silly that you’re supposed to be a badass ninja nobody sees coming except the level design is still loaded with enemies waiting just around every corner for a John Sekiro to come by to ambush, forced encounters with enemies who will automatically spot you with nothing you can do about it, and so on, exactly as if it was a souls game

I didn't mind that part all that much, since I knew it would mainly be an action game. The stealth mechanics are kind of ridiculous, like how you can alert a guy and he'll start screaming, but anyone more than four feet away is out of earshot. But, you know, I spend too much time in stealth games trying to never be seen, and I'm always reloading saves. I liked how Sekiro stealth always leads to action.

What I don't like is having to redo stealth sections every time I retry a boss. I'm at the bandit leader guy at Hirata. There's a bunch of enemies that need to be taken out before you cross a creek to get to the boss arena, but if you dive in and just try to melee them all, it's incredibly hard. If you stick to the rooftops, shuriken the bow guys, and then stealth kill the rest, it's really easy. But it's so slow and it sucks so bad to do it for the sixth time. I miss the old Dark Souls tradition of rushing past dozens of enemies to get to the boss room.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Leavemywife posted:

So, I'm doing the Sir Hammerlock DLC in Borderlands 2, and is it just me, or is it just not that much fun? I can't quite put my finger on it, but it feels pretty meh.

And it's kind of racist, too. It's in Pandora Africa, and I'm fighting savages and witch doctors? That's making me kind of uncomfortable.

Yeah, like everyone said in addition of not having any unique loot and having story that actually throws you the stereotypical savage tribals, blackfaces and witch doctors, even if you can stomach or don't care about anything like that, the enemies also are huge loving bullet sponges unlike anything else you encounter on the typical first play troughs. Definitely go check the map out, and GTFO the first time the level scaling goes off the deep end and you can barely survive the trash mob let alone those stupid doctors. It does not get any better.

I have a feeling that the place was originally designed as a multiplayer raid, and they never bothered to set/fix the single player scaling curve even after they released as single-playable DLC.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The dude literally just lost his arm and replaced it with some kind of bone-twine monstrosity that looks like it smells godawful, the fact that he’s running around fighting at all is impressive.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I hate the random loot system in Nioh. Sorting through a million swords with random mods on them to work out what's worth keeping is a hassle, but the main problem is that it makes me not care about exploring a level. In Dark Souls if you go off to some obscure corner you'll probably find an item that was specifically put there, but in Nioh you probably just get some random weapon that's not as good as what you can get by killing a revenant or two.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's even worse than that. Many of the dead body, item chest etc drops in Nioh are completely static and will always give the same loot, but it's incomprehensible and totally impossible to distinguish from normal trash loot you got from the last guy you killed.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Der Kyhe posted:

Yeah, like everyone said in addition of not having any unique loot and having story that actually throws you the stereotypical savage tribals, blackfaces and witch doctors, even if you can stomach or don't care about anything like that, the enemies also are huge loving bullet sponges unlike anything else you encounter on the typical first play troughs. Definitely go check the map out, and GTFO the first time the level scaling goes off the deep end and you can barely survive the trash mob let alone those stupid doctors. It does not get any better.

I have a feeling that the place was originally designed as a multiplayer raid, and they never bothered to set/fix the single player scaling curve even after they released as single-playable DLC.

The whole witch doctor thing was a real case of "ok but seriously how did this get all the way through the approval process", but I didn't think the Hammerlock stuff was too bad. The villain chatter at least had me chuckling a few times, and the way you take him out is hilarious. You kill his big monster, then he panics and falls down a ramp and dies.

Definitely the worst of the DLCs though. No interesting loot, no special tokens, no unlockable head, it's just like a section of the game that got glued back together from the cutting room floor and shipped.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
The “trick” to Nioh is to just go for the bigger numbers and not get hung up on comparing modifiers. Specific builds and min-maxing is for NG+.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

I really wish the multiplayer aspect of Mario Maker 2 wasn't a laggy pile of garbage.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Started playing Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth after a long time off and having played other rogue-likes with portals has ruined me. It takes forever to backtrack and explore. Also there's no way Rag Man should be a first level boss.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

kazil posted:

I really wish the multiplayer aspect of Mario Maker 2 wasn't a laggy pile of garbage.

So drat disappointing, I've basically given up for now after trying for a few evenings. Such a perfect concept, I really hope they can come around and get it working somehow.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Der Kyhe posted:

I'm kind of tempted to go back to normal mode and just rip the DLC to shreds, as I do want to know what happens. The opening, being in the style of an old film serial, was pretty great and what I'd seen of Nakayama (I think I spelled that right) was amusing, but all the same, Jesus Christ.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Warframe, I know your devs are insane and want to turn you into Star Citizen, But For Real, and I know you're technically free, but goddammit do you have to make everything take so long to build? I'm okay with a lot of the grind, the grind is the gameplay, but I when I spend days getting the materials for my voodoo tuxedo space ninja cyborg I don't want to spend days more waiting for my 3D printer to poo poo him out.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Screaming Idiot posted:

Warframe, I know your devs are insane and want to turn you into Star Citizen, But For Real, and I know you're technically free, but goddammit do you have to make everything take so long to build? I'm okay with a lot of the grind, the grind is the gameplay, but I when I spend days getting the materials for my voodoo tuxedo space ninja cyborg I don't want to spend days more waiting for my 3D printer to poo poo him out.

At least you don't have to wait a literal year for a mere chance to do the alerts to get the blueprints that give you the vauban pieces anymore. What's that? They were at four AM again? Oh, tough luck. Maybe in four more months. Did they bug out this time? Sorry, we don't offer compensation when the bug is clearly our fault and this one time alert didn't work for anyone and literally no body got that cool unique stat rewarding helmet, maybe in a few more months we'll run it again, too bad it won't be at any playable hour for you! Haha, remember that one time we ran an event for a very strong, very unique ability that literally doubles a sniper's damage, then gave it to like ten people who literally cheated, and promised we'd give it out again then never did? Good times, good times.

Warframe's devs are bad and it is a bad game because of it.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Nuebot posted:

At least you don't have to wait a literal year for a mere chance to do the alerts to get the blueprints that give you the vauban pieces anymore. What's that? They were at four AM again? Oh, tough luck. Maybe in four more months. Did they bug out this time? Sorry, we don't offer compensation when the bug is clearly our fault and this one time alert didn't work for anyone and literally no body got that cool unique stat rewarding helmet, maybe in a few more months we'll run it again, too bad it won't be at any playable hour for you! Haha, remember that one time we ran an event for a very strong, very unique ability that literally doubles a sniper's damage, then gave it to like ten people who literally cheated, and promised we'd give it out again then never did? Good times, good times.

Warframe's devs are bad and it is a bad game because of it.

It's a good game, Todd

Just flawed

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Screaming Idiot posted:

Yeah I like Warframe but I don't like timer based monitisation.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Started playing Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth after a long time off and having played other rogue-likes with portals has ruined me. It takes forever to backtrack and explore. Also there's no way Rag Man should be a first level boss.

Most of Isaac's boss fights really need to be shifted down one or two floors. These days if I get a boss with a lot of Health on the first floor, or something that's too hard to strafe with no movement speed upgrades, or a Horseman that drops a lovely meat cube, I'll just quit and start over. That game has taught me a lesson about not getting invested in runs that aren't worth my time in roguelikes.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Yeah I like Warframe but I don't like timer based monitisation.

Yeah. As I said, I don't mind the grind since the game plays so smooth that it's fun to grind -- for now -- but the wait times are a bit excessive.

I know, the company has to make money somewhere, and you can pretty much get everything for free if you're willing to wait, but the harder something is to grind for then the less time it should take to complete.

In fact, the price for some of the items in-game is ridiculous. It's like seventy goddamn dollars for a prime warframe and the associated weapons and cosmetics -- that's more than the price of a AAA title these days. It's no loving wonder the game is free and why it incentivizes those quick dopamine rushes brought about by putting in a credit card number and seeing your in-game numbers go up.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The DLC for Breath of the Wild somehow decided to remove itself from my Switch, and now I have to redownload it. My internet is pretty crap, so this is way more annoying than it should me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I just started Bloodstained Ritual of the Night and it was so loving loud that it hurt my ears despite my computer being at 10% volume and the game's volume itself only defaulting to 5/10. What did they even do to make it that loud????

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I also tried out Bloodstained, but had to bail on it after defeating the first boss. The game is just absolutely ugly, everything looks like rear end. The design is cool, but these 3D cellshaded models (or whatever you call this), the lighting, the backgrounds, oof. I know it's probably 10x cheaper than drawing everything in 2D, but I just can't.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Screaming Idiot posted:

Yeah. As I said, I don't mind the grind since the game plays so smooth that it's fun to grind -- for now -- but the wait times are a bit excessive.

I know, the company has to make money somewhere, and you can pretty much get everything for free if you're willing to wait, but the harder something is to grind for then the less time it should take to complete.

In fact, the price for some of the items in-game is ridiculous. It's like seventy goddamn dollars for a prime warframe and the associated weapons and cosmetics -- that's more than the price of a AAA title these days. It's no loving wonder the game is free and why it incentivizes those quick dopamine rushes brought about by putting in a credit card number and seeing your in-game numbers go up.

The wait time has a weird progression where at the start it sucks really bad because you have nothing and it takes forever to get the new cool stuff, frames especially. Then you start having more and more stuff backed up in your foundry because the time to get the materials for things is way less than the time to make it, so you've always got new poo poo to be building and using. Then you go back to the start because at some point you got 200 hours in the game and you have 80% of the reasonably accessible poo poo, so now it takes forever to get new stuff. For whatever reason it never really bothered me.

Also there's 3 guns you can get for creds only i nthe marketplace if you didn't know, the better versions/other options of the starter weapons.

The entire game is the core loop of the however many basic mission types and avoidign the really poo poo bosses but now you're an invincible walking blender or make the whole screen explode into lightning when you feel like it or whatever. It's worth playing as long as you're enjoying it, just put it down and come back later/never if you're not. Eventually new stuff gets added and you can have fun again, plus the random prime stuff you had lying aroudn might be valuable.

oh, and the prime access stuff is pretty much to let whales get the shiny new poo poo early, most prime frames are ~200p or less for the set past the first week or two of release which is idk, $10 US? and you probably won't need to buy every piece of it. the platinum cost for things that aren't slots/potatoes/forma in the marketplace is obscene though, especially if the dumb resource/credit packs are still in.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

CJacobs posted:

or a Horseman that drops a lovely meat cube

Meat cube is actually a really good item, if you're willing to risk some health. It does a lot of contact damage.

The DLC bosses definitely drag the game down, though. They seem to either be HP sponges or "reskin of an existing boss, but this time it has brimstone with very little warning!"

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

grate deceiver posted:

I also tried out Bloodstained, but had to bail on it after defeating the first boss. The game is just absolutely ugly, everything looks like rear end. The design is cool, but these 3D cellshaded models (or whatever you call this), the lighting, the backgrounds, oof. I know it's probably 10x cheaper than drawing everything in 2D, but I just can't.

If you wanted Bloodstained to have hundreds of frames of drawn animation for its nearly 200 enemies, well, you were never gonna get that. There's a reason the main Castlevania games were still using almost all the same enemy sprites from Rondo of Blood nearly twenty years later.

If you drop Bloodstained because of its graphics, you're missing out on a game that's better than SotN

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
For all I know it could be the most mechanically perfect game of the century, and I'm absolutely ok with never looking at it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I think Mighty Number 9 broke me because I think Bloodstained looks really nice.