Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

klosterdev posted:

- Office move
- Nobody tells IT
- A Ticket Came In
- "Urgent! I need an extra long ethernet cord to run up and around a door frame."

I've had much worse...

A little over 10 years ago, one of our locations was in the midst of a remodel and part of this required moving the front register "island" to a different spot. At this store all the power and Ethernet cables came in into the "island" from conduits in the concrete floor. In the new island location we where going to be dropping the lines down from the ceiling. The move was planned, but it wasn't supposed to happen for at least another month or more.

From what I remember, the electricians finished early. This prompted the store manager at the time to take it upon himself to move the register island. But he didn't tell anyone at corporate he was doing this. I got a panicked phone call one day that none of the registers, printers, PIN pads, or phones at the new island location where working. Why where they not working? Because there where no cat5 lines dropped at the new location yet. And they had already tore out the old island and cut the lines off flush with the floor ready for them to be covered over.

In a pinch I ended up having to setup a bridge between the "island" switch and the rest of the LAN with a pair of Ubiquiti Nanostations until we got some new Cat5e lines dropped a few days later.

It was a gently caress up of massive proportions. And played a large part in said manager being fired a few weeks later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Agrikk posted:

I thought I was the only one who ran my Royer R-10 through an EMI channel strip and juuuuust a touch of reverb for my weekly standup every now and then.

I brought my Focusrite scarlett 2i2, Sampson large diaphragm condenser mic and boom stand, and an array of headphones to work.
I think I might get better results out of an x-y setup. At least then my voice will have the soundstage it deserves.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

GreenNight posted:

Say the liability word and HR will find out you were 5 minutes late 3 times and can your rear end.

Then you get a lawyer, during discovery they find that everyone else has been late that many times at least and still has a job, the judge roasts them over an open flame. Selective enforcement is not a good look if the company is trying to prove they’re not discriminating.

I saw a video about a company that fired employees who were organizing a union for offenses that were found to be commonplace and either unpunished or punished much less severely. Also a My Cousin Vinny style “you did 45 minutes of driving and work in 15 minutes?” situation. I could dig it up if anyone is interested. The company lost.

E: also BCC your personal email on every email to HR. If they fire you immediately after you bring it up, they’re already going to be on the defense when it comes to proving that was a complete coincidence, honestly. That’s what I did when setting up FMLA last year, even though I knew my boss, as many issues as I had with him, was too honest to be involved with that kind of thing.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 8, 2019

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

klosterdev posted:

- Office move
- Nobody tells IT
- A Ticket Came In
- "Urgent! I need an extra long ethernet cord to run up and around a door frame."

They moved the stuff for you! How kind.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
A ticket came in on a Tuesday..."We're opening an office 2 hours away. We need phones, internet, wifi, MFP, four laptops, and a desktop for the receptionist. You can do that by Friday morning, right?"

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

A ticket came in on a Tuesday..."We're opening an office 2 hours away. We need phones, internet, wifi, MFP, four laptops, and a desktop for the receptionist. You can do that by Friday morning, right?"
This is a joke, right? Like, just something you're posting as hyperbole?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

There's always a ticket. There's always a technician. There's always a friday deadline.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Thanatosian posted:

This is a joke, right? Like, just something you're posting as hyperbole?

I wish.

I don't work there anymore, but yeah, they wanted me to get telecom and everything set up in less than 4 days. At least it was built out with CAT-5e in the walls and a network rack, tho it was located above the door and I'm not a tall lady, so that was OSHA.txt as all hell.

They made do with a mifi and cell phones until the telecom and ISP showed up. Turns out the guy we hired to work out of that office had been doing the same thing with his own business, so he didn't care.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Teams being incapable of copy-pasting images from a web browser makes it unusable for its main purpose (posting memes).

Also it's slow as poo poo

Also nobody in the world but me seems to understand threaded conversations

At least it's not Sfb though.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

MisterZimbu posted:

Teams being incapable of copy-pasting images from a web browser makes it unusable for its main purpose (posting memes).

Also it's slow as poo poo

Also nobody in the world but me seems to understand threaded conversations

At least it's not Sfb though.

I never really bothered how to figure out how to properly share images in Teams because I didn't want to look like a fool. I would always use the snipping tool, copy that grab to the clipboard, then paste it into chat.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Actuarial Fables posted:

I never really bothered how to figure out how to properly share images in Teams because I didn't want to look like a fool. I would always use the snipping tool, copy that grab to the clipboard, then paste it into chat.

That's what I do, but then the gif's don't animate! Useless.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

User: Hi, do you have a moment to discuss your 3DSMax deployment script?

Me: In terms of rolling it out to your machine as organised by the visualisation lead?

User: In terms of adding extra pathing elements, plugins, and customising license installs for render farms and configuring them automatically so I don't have to login and do it.

Me: You will have to discuss that within your team and have it escalated to IT by your team leader because it's outside the scope of work that has previously been communicated to me.

User: Ok because my team lead asked me to organise this because I know more about this.

Me: That might be the case but the process is he has to communicate that with IT. Just write down what you require to be done and send it to him - he doesn't need to do anything other than forward it to us, but that's the process he asked us to enforce.

~two weeks later~

A ticket comes in to customise the 3DSMax deployments.

~ten minutes later missed call from User~

User: Hi, can I call you to discuss further changes to the 3DSMax deployments.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
One of the things which mildly annoys me about Teams is that the "recent" tab is only like five or six items worth of history, but there's space for a good 15 or so on the tab. It's just some :psyduck: GUI design that never bothered me until I started talking to that many people + 1 at the current client's location.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
We had our monthly call with our Microsoft TAM today, he informed us that all meetings going forward will now be Teams meetings so he's sending a new calendar invite.

Teams is happening folks, don't fight it.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Arquinsiel posted:

One of the things which mildly annoys me about Teams is that the "recent" tab is only like five or six items worth of history.

I get many more than that.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I took this screencap of my Teams experience a few days ago. It hasn't changed

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Heners_UK posted:

I get many more than that.
:iiam:

Were I more inclined to care about these things I'd make a big song and dance about inconsistent user experiences not helping adoption, but TBH it's not IRC so I don't care.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I'm continuing to have a great time using Teams, the software everyone loves to use

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Ugh, just manage Teams like you're supposed to: With PowerShell.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Can you send chat messages via PowerShell too? Then I can script my responses.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

GreenNight posted:

Probably, you can do it for Skype/Lync by loading some assemblies and creating a com object.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

GreenNight posted:

You can with slack

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Eh we’re a Jabber shop.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Jabber seems OK to me.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

So, how's about that Zoom 0-day? https://medium.com/@jonathan.leitschuh/zoom-zero-day-4-million-webcams-maybe-an-rce-just-get-them-to-visit-your-website-ac75c83f4ef5

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

running a local web server instance :pusheen:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I like the part where having ever at any time installed that garbage means it'll automatically reinstall if you want it or not whenever you visit a malicious site. Literally like malware does.
And much like malware, requires going out of your way to remove that "convenience feature" giant target on your back.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Reminds me of way back in the 90s when spyware first emerged, because it was piggybacked with whatever ad-supported software you installed, but wasn't removed when you uninstalled that software.

Though this is like 10x worse, having a hidden local webserver that can execute arbitrary commands. :psyduck:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I just read up on that. loving hell. We use a lot of zoom, too. AND I just recommended it to my FIL because hangouts wasn't working well for him. At least no Mac on that side of the family.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
What are the odds that this only affects Macs?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

The web server was specifically to get around something in Safari, from what I've been reading.

More teams garbage: otherwise idle 2017 15" MBP with i7, 16gb and 512gb NVMe, took 25 sec to start Teams.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Arquinsiel posted:

One of the things which mildly annoys me about Teams is that the "recent" tab is only like five or six items worth of history, but there's space for a good 15 or so on the tab. It's just some :psyduck: GUI design that never bothered me until I started talking to that many people + 1 at the current client's location.

bell jar posted:

I'm continuing to have a great time using Teams, the software everyone loves to use

bell jar posted:

I took this screencap of my Teams experience a few days ago. It hasn't changed

Boy oh boy! I wasn't going to post this since it's a bit out of scope but the current discussion is close enough! https://userinyerface.com/

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

minusX posted:

Boy oh boy! I wasn't going to post this since it's a bit out of scope but the current discussion is close enough! https://userinyerface.com/

This is glorious

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

minusX posted:

I haven't laughed this hard at a website in a long time. You can just look at the page and bounce after 10 seconds. You have to play along for at least a few steps.

Chunjee fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 9, 2019

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Huh. 911 services are down throughout the city of Tulsa.

I wonder who dropped the server.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Chunjee posted:

I haven't laughed this hard at a website in a long time. You can just look at the page and bounce after 10 seconds. You have to play along for at least a few steps.

Lost it at the country selection and the gender picker

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Don't quit early -- the last part is the best one

I clicked "NO" on the front page like 10 times absentmindedly

stevewm
May 10, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

Huh. 911 services are down throughout the city of Tulsa.

I wonder who dropped the server.

The janitor probably hit the power button when they where putting the mop back in the closet.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Paul ReiserFS posted:

Don't quit early -- the last part is the best one

I clicked "NO" on the front page like 10 times absentmindedly

That validation step is where I spent the most time, even after figuring out the first gimmick: the scroll bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

stevewm posted:

The computer janitor probably hit the reboot button when they where putting the bit-mop back in the closet.