Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Canopus250 posted:

That's not remotely what I said, but I suppose I had the benefit of seeing Giant Bomb stream the games so I knew what they were. The Gungeon one honestly looks better to me than the real game, Ape Out Jr. is a great throwback with actual mechanics, and PikuBiku is dumb fun.

Then yeah we're definitely talking about two different things because I said the trailer (and the rest of the steam store page) give the impression of it being generic trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zushio
May 8, 2008

silentsnack posted:

Then yeah we're definitely talking about two different things because I said the trailer (and the rest of the steam store page) give the impression of it being generic trash.

:thejoke:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

silentsnack posted:

A low effort cash-grab is not a low effort cash-grab when a publisher sells a fake-bootleg knockoff of their own IP, got it.

The entire point of them doing it was to make "low-effort cash grab" versions of their own games. They even called them bootlegs.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

silentsnack posted:

Seems like someone made a lovely generic retrogame knockoff as a joke but as far as the trailer indicates it also seems to be a lovely generic retrogame knockoff for serious.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1066260/Devolver_Bootleg/

Better hurry up, that hot discount won't last forever!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuiX9mlDY9E

So you didn't think a joke was funny, then you had to keep defending your position on how... you didn't think a joke was funny. Cool.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

it's not a cash grab, it's a joke

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

King Vidiot posted:

So you didn't think a joke was funny, then you had to keep defending your position on how... you didn't think a joke was funny. Cool.

My intent is irrelevant in this apparent failure of communication, so how about we declare this one my loss and move on to something a little easier to convey.

"What do you get when you take an uninspired Slay the Spire clone and add Darkest Dungeon visual presentation, then divide by anime?" This:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1054550/Phantom_Rose/

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

silentsnack posted:

Seems like someone made a lovely generic retrogame knockoff as a joke but as far as the trailer indicates it also seems to be a lovely generic retrogame knockoff for serious.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1066260/Devolver_Bootleg/

Hotline Milwaukee
Brutal, fast-paced, stealth action and a whole lot of blood. From your garbage person apartment in historically interesting and relevant Milwaukee, pick up the phone, and answer the call--of murder. Follow instructions and follow the stairs deeper and deeper into the mysterious basement. Where does it go? Who are you?

etc

Devolver made bootlegs of their best selling series that are also remakes of classic Atari/Nes/SNes era games with some modernization. They're pretty awesome, especially if you're into retro gaming, and definitely don't belong here.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

silentsnack posted:

"What do you get when you take an uninspired Slay the Spire clone and add Darkest Dungeon visual presentation, then divide by anime?"

A game that doesn't belong in this thread? The gameplay appears competent, and the art direction looks excellent, unless anime gives you cooties or something. And as a fan of Slay the Spire, I'm all for new spins on the formula.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

TheAnomaly posted:

Devolver made bootlegs of their best selling series that are also remakes of classic Atari/Nes/SNes era games with some modernization. They're pretty awesome, especially if you're into retro gaming, and definitely don't belong here.
Devolver operates on a level of meta that's entirely their own.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

silentsnack posted:

My intent is irrelevant in this apparent failure of communication, so how about we declare this one my loss and move on to something a little easier to convey.

"What do you get when you take an uninspired Slay the Spire clone and add Darkest Dungeon visual presentation, then divide by anime?" This:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1054550/Phantom_Rose/

that looks really good, actually

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
it's not the "games you dislike based on a kneejerk reaction" thread

devolver bootleg rules, phantom rose looks like one of the better dream quest slay-the-spire-likes (and there's a bunch)

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Lunatic Sledge posted:

it's not the "games you dislike based on a kneejerk reaction" thread

devolver bootleg rules, phantom rose looks like one of the better dream quest slay-the-spire-likes (and there's a bunch)

lmao, never said devolver bootleg is a bad game. I said that superficially it looks like and is advertised like something designed with this thread as a goal.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
this game is going to be evidence in a trial at some point, I can feel it https://store.steampowered.com/app/1063930/The_Purge_Man/

The Purge Man, developed by: The Purge Man, published by: The Purge Man

"You feel tired of your own existence, you feel like everything is going wrong, there is no way out of this. Your decision has been made. To ruin your own life, you feel like the only mission left for you is to PURGE.

Law is going to try to enforce itself on you but you dont care... you only see red, BLOOD RED, they can run, they can hide, but there will be no escape.

Mayhem is going to ensue, you fuel yourself on that, destruction, chaos. You NEED this, this is your only choice, this is your life's only goal.

In this high octane action game you are The Purge Man, the Man that has makinds existence in his own hands, wreck every car, eliminate every single human being on earth, there are no rules."

it's like grand theft auto, if grand theft auto was exactly what politicians in the 90s - early 2000s thought it was but also early access

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Phantom Rose looks way too anime-cheesecake-y for my taste (and ugh, maids), but if it's really just a Slay-the-Spire-oid with questionable aesthetic sense, that seems... okay? Harmless, anyway.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Lunatic Sledge posted:

this game is going to be evidence in a trial at some point, I can feel it https://store.steampowered.com/app/1063930/The_Purge_Man/

The Purge Man, developed by: The Purge Man, published by: The Purge Man

"You feel tired of your own existence, you feel like everything is going wrong, there is no way out of this. Your decision has been made. To ruin your own life, you feel like the only mission left for you is to PURGE.

Law is going to try to enforce itself on you but you dont care... you only see red, BLOOD RED, they can run, they can hide, but there will be no escape.

Mayhem is going to ensue, you fuel yourself on that, destruction, chaos. You NEED this, this is your only choice, this is your life's only goal.

In this high octane action game you are The Purge Man, the Man that has makinds existence in his own hands, wreck every car, eliminate every single human being on earth, there are no rules."

it's like grand theft auto, if grand theft auto was exactly what politicians in the 90s - early 2000s thought it was but also early access

The Purge: Quest for Ipecac.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I like how I am tracking my purging on my stylish iphone.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
A regular Picasso with MSPaint: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1103340/YUT_YUT/

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

SardonicTyrant posted:

Devolver operates on a level of meta that's entirely their own.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
honestly I'll take Devolver having a stupid-rear end sense of humor as long as they keep giving me the good poo poo

the Hotline Miamis are easily two of my favorite games ever

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I don't remember seeing this mentioned, and Nettle Soup just gifted it to me:

Fart Simulator 2018

This would have been my first big game if game makers were a bit more advanced, back when I had a C64. Then again, I was older than 12 when I had that, so probably not.

I did get this achievement though:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

https://store.steampowered.com/app/789760/DEAD_OR_SCHOOL/

This is my favorite video game title of all-time

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Man modern anime (and anime game) settings are just a series of checkboxes now

X - High school setting
X - Undead
X - Teenage girl with guns
X - Lineup of characters that is more a variety selection of boob sizes than anything else
_ - An original idea that might possibly risk not selling to their tiny, assured audience

I mean the game doesn't look terrible, but the aggressive genericness of everything anime these days is just... Blah.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Man modern anime (and anime game) settings are just a series of checkboxes now

X - High school setting
X - Undead
X - Teenage girl with guns
X - Lineup of characters that is more a variety selection of boob sizes than anything else
_ - An original idea that might possibly risk not selling to their tiny, assured audience

I mean the game doesn't look terrible, but the aggressive genericness of everything anime these days is just... Blah.

Yeah but it takes creative ability to escape the animegame curse, when instead the dev could just use genre trappings and tropespam to cover up a lack of depth or originality. Also the difference in time/resources/personnel can be a minor factor when someone is trying to make money.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 9, 2019

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean all fiction is trapped in whatever is popular.

How many western RPGs take place in generic Tolkien fantasy

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

CharlestheHammer posted:

How many western RPGs take place in generic Tolkien fantasy

An easier list would be: How many of them don't?

Schubalts fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 9, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

You can have a Tolkienesque setting with elves and dwarves and etc., but have very original characters and situations. I'm criticizing most anime doing the same thing when it comes to defining what inhabits their world. Look how many animes have the same few character "personalities" - the "Tsundere", the robotic smart one, the dumb cute one, etc. and rely on the hair color/breast size to tell their characters apart. That and the visual style of anime is all so, SO similar these days.

Schubalts posted:

An easier list would be: How many of them don't?

Nowawadys, probably most of them, honestly.

I'm not saying western culture/games/etc. is inherently better, just that the anime industry is currently in a rut. There's likely a lot of working artists that would like to break out and do their own thing but are forced to keep feeding what the otaku machine demands or risk losing their meager livelihood.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You very rarely have unique characters and settings you just don’t go looking for the sheer amount of generic fantasy settings and tropes out there.

The Japanese didn’t invent the idea of stock characters. Companies are going to always chase trends if it’s not schools it will be something else

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 10, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like we only just barely got out of the trend of every single western game having to star a grumpy crew cut white military man who speaks entirely in gravelly stock phrases, and even then they just pretended to innovate by giving them teenage daughters that need protecting.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That and the visual style of anime is all so, SO similar these days.

lmao imagine typing this bullshit out in tyool 2019

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like we only just barely got out of the trend of every single western game having to star a grumpy crew cut white military man who speaks entirely in gravelly stock phrases, and even then they just pretended to innovate by giving them teenage daughters that need protecting.

God of War added a teenage son who is a good boy

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The anime industry, which is to say random independent developers on Steam

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

You very rarely have unique characters and settings you just don’t go looking for the sheer amount of generic fantasy settings and tropes out there.

The Japanese didn’t invent the idea of stock characters. Companies are going to always chase trends if it’s not schools it will be something else

Yeah prefab archetypes have been around since Lord Satan of Antarctica invented literature in -1302.159, and they serve a purpose. The difference is how they're used.

Building a coherent readily-understandable narrative without novel-length textdumps for world building and hours of cutscenes to establish characters/plot, conveying information without having to spell out every detail or explicitly tell the audience what they're supposed to think: good use case.

Filling the list of standard cliches the audience expects because the author assumes their target audience are undiscerning idiots and/or only buy games where they'll get to see a tit: not so good.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I'm confused, Rotten Red Rod. See, you said

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Look how many animes have the same few character "personalities" - the "Tsundere", the robotic smart one, the dumb cute one, etc. and rely on the hair color/breast size to tell their characters apart.

which makes it sound like you only watched, like, three or four specific animes from five years ago, but you also said

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That and the visual style of anime is all so, SO similar these days.

which clearly indicates you haven't watched any animated shows of any kind since the early '80s. So which is it?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I went with option C which is not posting about this anymore because the thread is now on a dunking contest dogpile and I now regret bringing it up at all.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I went with option C which is not posting about this anymore because the thread is now on a dunking contest dogpile and I now regret bringing it up at all.

You're just mad that the Super Solvers hosed up your plan again, admit it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Dewgy posted:

You're just mad that the Super Solvers hosed up your plan again, admit it.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I personally liked Gizmos And Gadgets the most.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

anime is very samey

*polite applause*

when compared to manga

*furious booing*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I mean, he's not really wrong when it comes to anime, because thanks to the punishing schedules they have to keep there's a lot of shortcuts adapted across the industry.