Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Blue Moonlight posted:

The IRS, sadly, doesn’t do themselves a lot of favors on this front. If they just opened with “You owe us $XXXX. We know this was probably a mistake, so we’d like to offer a zero-penalty payment plan of $YYY/month for ZZ months,” it’d probably kill the IRS scam industry. Instead, it’s written to be about as daunting as possible.

This could also be resolved by loosening the tax prep industry’s chokehold on Congress and just letting the IRS autoprepare a 1040 based on the records they already have, and asking people to make changes if they want to itemize deductions, contest things, etc.

While even as a preparer I’m sympathetic to the complaint about doing simple taxes being expensive, holy poo poo dear gently caress does the idea of “let the IRS do the taxes for you” give me chills because ahahaha they screw up SO much just reviewing the taxes at the moment. You want a scam, all those letters opening with “you owe this much” as opposed to “we found this discrepancy” is kind of one honestly. My understanding is something like a third of those CP2000 letters are flat out wrong on appeal and my personal experience is probably closer to half of them. Personal favorite last year was the person who got a $92,000 bill when it turned out on review the IRS owed them $1000 or so more. Prepping a 1040 based on their records and sending corrections falls down as a general rule because their records kinda suck (and a lot of tax info doesn’t even get sent to them; if you own your own business forget the IRS knowing much) and when they inevitably screw up how many people are going to know they did? They’ll just get a letter saying they owe such and such and pay it, which they already do too often in my experience with the audit letters. You’d just be moving the private tax company stuff to doing a ton of “corrections” later on rather than preparing the taxes the first time. Other countries’ taxes are easier because they avoid a lot of the rules about what you can get adjustments/credits for; you’re going to have to burn down the US tax code and restart from scratch (with a highly different philosophy behind the design) to make it that easy to avoid missing something. Or just go whole hog and make tax prep a public service only; fund the IRS enough to hire all those preparers themselves and offer it for free. Can’t call it a bad idea really...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

MadDogMike posted:

While even as a preparer I’m sympathetic to the complaint about doing simple taxes being expensive, holy poo poo dear gently caress does the idea of “let the IRS do the taxes for you” give me chills because ahahaha they screw up SO much just reviewing the taxes at the moment. You want a scam, all those letters opening with “you owe this much” as opposed to “we found this discrepancy” is kind of one honestly. My understanding is something like a third of those CP2000 letters are flat out wrong on appeal and my personal experience is probably closer to half of them. Personal favorite last year was the person who got a $92,000 bill when it turned out on review the IRS owed them $1000 or so more. Prepping a 1040 based on their records and sending corrections falls down as a general rule because their records kinda suck (and a lot of tax info doesn’t even get sent to them; if you own your own business forget the IRS knowing much) and when they inevitably screw up how many people are going to know they did? They’ll just get a letter saying they owe such and such and pay it, which they already do too often in my experience with the audit letters. You’d just be moving the private tax company stuff to doing a ton of “corrections” later on rather than preparing the taxes the first time. Other countries’ taxes are easier because they avoid a lot of the rules about what you can get adjustments/credits for; you’re going to have to burn down the US tax code and restart from scratch (with a highly different philosophy behind the design) to make it that easy to avoid missing something. Or just go whole hog and make tax prep a public service only; fund the IRS enough to hire all those preparers themselves and offer it for free. Can’t call it a bad idea really...

As a serial killer, I find the idea of banning murder highly disturbing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The subject of probate just came up in the iPhone thread, reminds me of a charming bit of mail I received last week.

My wife passed away in hospital, accruing a hefty amount of medical debt I’m sure. (I get mail most days of ‘not a bill, just for tax records’ breakdowns). In this state that debt doesn’t get passed on to me, but thank you to CPM Direct or whatever their name is for sending me a letter asking me to confirm my details so undoubtedly they could hound, I’m sorry I meant ‘empathetically enquire if I would like to do the right thing that my wife would surely want’, me to make payments to them I’m under no obligation to.

Glad to know going through hell isn’t enough for some people. I hope everyone in that company loses someone close to them.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MadDogMike posted:

As a tax preparer you do not run into the vast majority of people who don't even itemize their taxes, and don't need you.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

The subject of probate just came up in the iPhone thread, reminds me of a charming bit of mail I received last week.

My wife passed away in hospital, accruing a hefty amount of medical debt I’m sure. (I get mail most days of ‘not a bill, just for tax records’ breakdowns). In this state that debt doesn’t get passed on to me, but thank you to CPM Direct or whatever their name is for sending me a letter asking me to confirm my details so undoubtedly they could hound, I’m sorry I meant ‘empathetically enquire if I would like to do the right thing that my wife would surely want’, me to make payments to them I’m under no obligation to.

Glad to know going through hell isn’t enough for some people. I hope everyone in that company loses someone close to them.

;____;

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

EL BROMANCE posted:

Did you call them up and scream? Because my voice would have shattered their eardrums, the phone, and the sky itself.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Someday, this is going to happen to someone, and that person is going to buy a bunch of guns and shoot up the debt collection agency.

God, I hope I'm on that jury. You are allowed to award damages to the defendant in a criminal case, right?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Thanatosian posted:

You are allowed to award damages to the defendant in a criminal case, right?
I am 100% sure this is why I have never once been summoned for jury duty (that, and I'm jobless).

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Jury nullification is the best you can do sorry

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

EL BROMANCE posted:

"Here is the contact information for the Estate of <deceased person>. Please direct all correspondence to there. Thank you."

Had to deal with that with my deceased father, and We Energies of Milwaukee. When asked if I was going to pay his bill, I said 'No. Please bill the Estate." Oh, the *face* she made at me. It was delicious.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

Someday, this is going to happen to someone, and that person is going to buy a bunch of guns and shoot up the debt collection agency.

God, I hope I'm on that jury. You are allowed to award damages to the defendant in a criminal case, right?

I'm more shocked it hasn't, people have gone on a shooting spree for dumber reasons.

E: Im not endorsing that you do go and shoot up a collection agency here please don't report me

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Don Gato posted:

...please don't report me

How much is it worth to you?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

MadDogMike posted:

im not the irs but if i had seen this scrawled across a 1040 in serial killer font, id charge you the max too

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

madeintaipei posted:

How much is it worth to you?

I don't have much cash on me but if you send me your bank info I can liquidate a few hundred thousand worth of gold bars I have stored with Nigerian royalty.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My dad contacted me about this, asking for etiquette advice on how to respond to a Japanese company. It looks like a repackaging scam. The company website has weird typos, no Japanese language pages, incomplete/fake office addresses and home numbers. I hope he listens to me and doesn't trust these guys. :(

quote:

"Connection opportunity"

You are receiving this email because you have requested for more information on an inquiry previously sent to you for a business partnership and job position in North America from our company.

Mieko Corporation is a manufacturing and trading company in Japan, as a trading company we specialized in non-ferrous metals. Our fields of business are domestic sale, Import/Export of nonferrous metals, Iron, steel, Machinery, Miscellaneous goods, Chemicals, Electronic components, Computer software, etc.,

More recently, our development activities extend to a new field of Solar, Telecommunications, Electronics, Road Construction Machinery, Asphalt Plants, Concrete Mixing Plants, Crawler Cranes, Hydraulic Cranes and industrial plants such as power plants, Cement Plants, sugar plants, desalination plants, fertilizer plants, refineries and many more to meet the needs of society.

Mieko currently has two openings available, one is the job of a Sales representative and the other is that of credit collection/facilitator.

Job description below:

The sales representative will be available to handle the following duties
· Collect new orders from customer if they decide to make orders via representative.
· Confirm delivery of shipped goods to customers.
· Make contact via phone calls/email with customer
· Keep us updated in at most 48 hours of any recent happenings.

Your duties as our collection/facilitator representative, listed below:
· Contact customers assigned to them and update the customers with their accounts record.
· Follow up on current debtors to clear up their debts.
· Receive payments from our customers if they decide to make orders via representative.
· Make contact via phone calls/email with our customer.
· Keep us updated in at most 48 hours of any recent happenings
· Maintain transaction records efficiently.

Please let us know which of the openings you are applying for at this time.

Note: This position will not require your full time commitment as your duty will be to make contact via telephone call/email with our customers,

The representative will be on monthly salary and on service commission to cover for certain cost as telephone calls and intra-city movement if the need arise. Representative remuneration will be paid Monthly( thirty day period) and it amounts to Five Thousand dollars ($5,000) paid via Wire Transfer or a preferred method by the representative. And the representative also receives a 6% service commission which will be deducted by the representative for every transaction completed.

If this partnership is one you would want to proceed with, please do provide your basic contact information which would be reviewed by our director, as it affords us to to ability carry out our due diligence and also to prepare an agreement for your perusal and signing which will make you our representative in North America region.

· Full name:................
· Complete Home/Office address for mailing:..............
· Phone number:............
· Email Address:........
· Company name if you have any:.........

Note that no form of start-up investment is required and the partnership will not interfere with your other employment or business commitment.

https://www.meh-jp.com

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I like the page with two different names like 5px away from one another, and "Need text here" notes.
https://www.meh-jp.com/about/people/

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

peanut posted:

My dad contacted me about this, asking for etiquette advice on how to respond to a Japanese company. It looks like a repackaging scam. The company website has weird typos, no Japanese language pages, incomplete/fake office addresses and home numbers. I hope he listens to me and doesn't trust these guys. :(

It's a standard scam. They ask for details and either use it for fraud in his name, or ask for a small payment to cover legal fees...which never stop and get bigger and end up luring him to the country and ransom for more money.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Good but not best update.

quote:

The approach has seemed a bit weird to me too. No request for a resume yet, for instance. I’m playing along for now to see what’s next. 

Spaceguns
Aug 28, 2007

zmcnulty posted:

I like the page with two different names like 5px away from one another, and "Need text here" notes.
https://www.meh-jp.com/about/people/

They either have a great little scam network or that website is some scam template.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Jason+Bradson+is+responsible+for+Financial+&client=ms-android-google&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Comstar posted:

It's a standard scam. They ask for details and either use it for fraud in his name, or ask for a small payment to cover legal fees...which never stop and get bigger and end up luring him to the country and ransom for more money.

It's actually probably the standard fake check scam, where they send you a payment, have you take 6% of it and pass the rest off to someone else, and then the bank comes after you when the payment doesn't clear.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

COMPLIANCE SPECIALIST
Steeve West

OCCUPANCY
Many Reed

HUMAN RESOURCES
Seal Weak

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

EL BROMANCE posted:

COMPLIANCE SPECIALIST
Steeve West

OCCUPANCY
Many Reed

HUMAN RESOURCES
Seal Weak

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yes! I had the exact same mental image when I posted. Love that list.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Newman's Own products are a scam; even if his entire charity weren't a tax dodge/PR campaign like basically every charity in existence, they range in quality from bad to mediocre.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

natural sodas

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

cool ranch luke

butch cassidy and the sun dried tomato

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 9, 2019

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

The only Newman's Own product I've ever tried was the salad dressing, and it was… about the same as any other bottled dressing.

Actually I don't understand why anyone buys bottled dressing when it's so easy to make yourself. It's just two ingredients, a fat plus an acid, plus some seasonings. And if you're lazy you can get pre-blended herb packets for less than a buck. That's actually my main complaint about a lot of packaged foods, you pay 600% markup for incredibly simple and common ingredients that aren't even all that convenient. A bottle of olive oil can be used for an infinite number of purposes in the kitchen and can be stored in a cupboard, but bottled salad dressing is single purpose and takes up space in the fridge.

So the actual scam is packaged/prepared foods.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

If you can't convince yourself to forgo pre-packaged salad dressings or juices or other pre-prepared and packaged products, the 0,01% already own your rear end. All because you're too lazy to go without even the slightest bit of "convenience".

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Newman’s Own limeade is drat good and is usually on sale for $1.50 for a half gallon where I’m at.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I'm visiting the states and bought a SIM for roaming and holy gently caress the loving robocalls. No wonder people are constantly shooting the place up, I'm about to go on a killing spree because I can't use my goddamn phone.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

greazeball posted:

I'm visiting the states and bought a SIM for roaming and holy gently caress the loving robocalls. No wonder people are constantly shooting the place up, I'm about to go on a killing spree because I can't use my goddamn phone.

Block all non contacts, that's what everybody does

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i think the only people left in america who don't use voicemail to screen unknown numbers are the parents of young children

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i have a question. my doctor's office requires that i leave a message for the staff when i need to request a prescription refill. for the past three months (once a month), whenever i leave my phone number and turn my ringer on expecting a call back, i get one or two robocalls the same day.

once is a fluke, twice is odd, but three seems to be a pattern. is someone at the office doing something shady? i should mention that i don't get my prescription on the same exact day every month, either

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Might be using a speech to text service that is doing something shady.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

robocalls are auto-dialed. no scammer is going to waste good money paying someone in an office to dump them a few dozen or hundred "good" numbers when they can set their auto-dialer to do it for free

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Might be using a speech to text service that is doing something shady.

next time i'll just say "my phone number is in my file" and see what happens

Lutha Mahtin posted:

robocalls are auto-dialed. no scammer is going to waste good money paying someone in an office to dump them a few dozen or hundred "good" numbers when they can set their auto-dialer to do it for free

but wouldn't it be a decent way to get numbers they absolutely know are live, that very day?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

but wouldn't it be a decent way to get numbers they absolutely know are live, that very day?

They absolutely do not care about that. It's a number game and the best/cheapest way to do it is to just dial every number ever with an autodialer.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

robodialers can call thousands of numbers a second. paying shady office workers money for a handful of numbers is worse than that in a ton of important ways:
-it's not as many numbers
-the shady employee has every incentive to give you extra fake numbers to pad their pay
-the numbers might be equal or worse to dialing randomly
-you have to pay up front for the numbers
-you have to set up an extra payroll system and pay people to administer it, and also pay people to recruit and manage the shady office workers
-it requires you to break more laws and creates a bigger paper trail that law enforcement can use to track you down

there are probably more reasons but those are the ones i could think of off the top of my head

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

yeah, makes sense now that i think about it more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO0iG_P0P6M