Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

According to Steam I have spent over 150 hours playing WWE 2k18 and yet almost everything about it is a little thing dragging it down. But the biggest little thing is the difficulty: I've had it on normal difficulty the entire time I've been playing it, never changed that. Some days I win every fight, some days I lose every fight. It's just so finicky that if your timing is off by a tiny bit then you're going to fail everything, but if you're having a good day then the AI can't touch you.

Well, that and the awful UI that makes customising stuff take way longer than it should. Those are the top two.

Yeah the WWE games have a lot of problems, mostly owing to the fact that they're technically using the same engine as Smackdown: Here Comes The Pain from 2003. They've replaced bits and pieces over the years so it's a Ship of Theseus thing, and the result is a glitchy, sluggish pile of code. Every time they add or fix something, something else breaks.

That and the mechanics aren't great. Reversals are overwhelmingly important, so they tried to limit how often you could do them, but that just means that when you're out of reversals you're totally helpless. Being on defense is no fun, which is a problem since in a good wrestling match there's a back and forth.

If you can take cruder 2.5-D graphics and fewer frills I'd look into Fire Pro Wrestling World, also on Steam. It does a much better job of capturing the ebb and flow of a wrestling match, though the mechanics (focused on grapple timing) aren't to everyone's taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I really like how Bloodstained looks. It looks like a pop-up diorama or something like that.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I think it looks completely alright as well. Sure expertly crafted 2d art would be cool but what's there is also good (IMO).

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I think it looks completely alright as well. Sure expertly crafted 2d art would be cool but what's there is also good (IMO).

https://i.imgur.com/xz1JhWr.gifv

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I think the 3D looks great just because of the backgrounds - given i played this on the switch, and watching a certain streamer play it on PC, I sure missed out! I still haven't gotten my iga's backpack code yet either, which is a dang shame.

The only thing I hate is that the train boss looks like a big goopy mess compared to how it looked in Curse of the Moon. Inti Creates sure knows how to make a castlevania game...

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

This reminds of how Pokemon has to be economical with its animations. In Gen II every pokemon had its own starting wiggle when it enters battle. This feature was dropped after Crystal because it wasn't viable to make a custom sprite-work animation for the ever-growing roster. When the shift was made to Full-3D it became easier to have a reusable library of models and animations across games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-pmh70cZu4

Now if only they could a Pokemon spinoff that wasn't the same-old linear Trainer's journey that would appeal to normies. Like say an open-worldish Suikoden game where you play a pokemon who has to recruit Pokemon in different ways, and they fight in turn-based teams of six. Loads of light strategy-elements.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I recently bought the 4k remaster of Resonance of Fate because I remembered liking the combat system back on the 360 and I didn't remember finishing it. For a while, I did like the combat system because it IS unique, but it really didn't take long before the flaws caught up and I started hating it.

1) You only get 3 characters total for the entire game, and (normally) all 3 are on the field in combat. The main mechanic of the combat system, the titular Resonance system, relies on having 3 characters. Almost every other story chapter has a significant portion of it where you can only use 2 or even 1 character.

1b) When you lose your character and they come back, they unequip all of their equipment. I understand that they do this so their equipment is available for the rest of the team while they're gone, but it's especially annoying because you can't re-equip anything while inside a dungeon.

2) Every single thing is the combat system seems designed so that you either win by a landslide or lose horribly, with no in-between. When you start winning, you break "body parts" on enemies which stuns them and gives you a bezel back, which means that you can just keep attacking, which means that you keep breaking parts and stunning enemies until they die. If you don't do enough damage though, enemies heal their damage almost as quick as you can dish it out and hit like a ton of bricks, and when you run out of HP you LOSE bezels, which means that you attack less often and start losing very quickly. Also, when one character runs out of HP, the lost bezels scatter on the ground and enemies that pick them up get healed. If you run out of bezels, you move very slowly and lose the ability I described earlier as the only way to attack, so unless the enemy is also almost dead, you can pretty much never recover from this.

3) I'm already one of those people who hate status effects, but this game manages to really turn that up to 11. The Resonance system I described earlier resets to 0 (basically) if even one of your actions isn't a run and gun, so being frozen and unable to take an action means you lose all your Resonance points. If you get poisoned, you lose actual health (normal attacks do "scratch damage which can be healed more easily, actualy health require super rare items or rest at a save point) and can leave you at a max health of 1hp. Shock and fire aren't too bad, at least.

4) Everything uses the same "ressource", the bezels that I mentioned earlier, which means that the game gets progressively easier as you get more of them because you can both take and deal more damage for every bezel that you have.

5) This is another category, but whenever you the running move I mentionned, if you hit anything, your character stumbles and stops their attack, You don't lose resonance points, thank god, but it happens really often because enemies move while you do and they have insanely huge hitboxes.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

CordlessPen posted:

5) This is another category, but whenever you the running move I mentionned, if you hit anything, your character stumbles and stops their attack, You don't lose resonance points, thank god, but it happens really often because enemies move while you do and they have insanely huge hitboxes.

I spent the first half of the game just running and jumping so my guys would twirl through the air and just throw grenades at everything because grenades work really well until every enemy has like three or four layers of armor.

Which is where the combat system lost me. Armor is annoying. You see - as you say, it's all about shooting body parts off of dudes. More than halfway through the game everything starts wearing armor. Then its armor has armor. Then the armor's armor has armor. You have to shoot the armor off to shoot the body parts. It sucks and I hate it and it makes every encounter take five times as long.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I actually did think it looked kind of bad when I started playing. Or maybe not necessarily bad, but it certainly looked cheap. You really can sort of tell the game was not made on an enormous budget. But, eh, I got over it in ten minutes and the game was awesome. I played through the whole thing in about a week, got almost 100% map completion, found most of the recipes. It's really great mechanically, and it's got good voice acting too (except that little girl in the shop who's an extremely minor incidental character)

Casey Finnigan has a new favorite as of 01:19 on Jul 10, 2019

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's cool that Mafia 3 has the bad classic GTA pedestrian ai where they will dive off the sidewalk onto the road if you drive too fast.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Casey Finnigan posted:

and it's got good voice acting too (except that little girl in the shop who's an extremely minor incidental character)

Oh my god thank you I'm not alone

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Oh my god thank you I'm not alone

I have no clue what even happened there. Her "British accent" sounds ludicrous. Plus, she's a kid, and Miriam's an adult, so why is the little kid going "awww :3:" every time Miriam interacts with her? Everyone else in the game sounds much better, even the enemies who go "oooohhh... aaaahh!!!" when they die.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Casey Finnigan posted:

I have no clue what even happened there. Her "British accent" sounds ludicrous. Plus, she's a kid, and Miriam's an adult, so why is the little kid going "awww :3:" every time Miriam interacts with her? Everyone else in the game sounds much better, even the enemies who go "oooohhh... aaaahh!!!" when they die.

have you ever heard a little kid in an any english dubbed game or anime that doesn't sound horrible

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
So in the main town in Borderlands 2 you can occasionally pick up radio broadcasts from the villain's propaganda guy that update as you progress the main quest. What I don't get is why they didn't bother to make a new one after you've completed the storyline. Like you'd think the guy would have something to say about you shooting his boss in the face, like that's half the point of making a Baghdad Bob style character like that to begin with, isn't it?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

StandardVC10 posted:

So in the main town in Borderlands 2 you can occasionally pick up radio broadcasts from the villain's propaganda guy that update as you progress the main quest. What I don't get is why they didn't bother to make a new one after you've completed the storyline. Like you'd think the guy would have something to say about you shooting his boss in the face, like that's half the point of making a Baghdad Bob style character like that to begin with, isn't it?

thats because once you get to the place before fyrestone, you get a mission to shoot hunter hellquist in the face

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

spit on my clit posted:

thats because once you get to the place before fyrestone, you get a mission to shoot hunter hellquist in the face

Yeah that guy’s dead as hell by the time you beat the game. (And probably several dozen times over if you want to get his unique loot. Which you actually might want to because it’s rad as gently caress.)

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

They nerfed his shield years ago. It was the only thing that made new game plus tolerable for me.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Casey Finnigan posted:

especially the enemies who go "eeeeeee! oooooo..." when they die.

ftfy

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Maxwell Lord posted:

If you can take cruder 2.5-D graphics and fewer frills I'd look into Fire Pro Wrestling World, also on Steam. It does a much better job of capturing the ebb and flow of a wrestling match, though the mechanics (focused on grapple timing) aren't to everyone's taste.

Unfortunately I'm not sure I can get past the look of it. Plus, having the characters I know from TV in them is one of the things that really appeals to me about the WWE games.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
A lot of people have been jumping into duty roulettes and then disconnecting in an attempt to connect later, near the end of the duty in FF14. The kick mechanic is stupidly restrictive though:

If its within 5 minutes, you can't kick.

If there is an item that needs to be rolled on, you can't kick, even if the person wasn't online when the item was dropped.

If you're in combat, you can't kick.

So by the time 5 minutes goes by, you probably got an item drop. There will be at least one person who wont bother rolling, and the roll lasts another 5 minutes before it forces a roll. This can lead to you going from boss to boss, getting more and more items to roll on that no one will roll on. And the whole time, you can't boot the jackass who is trying to get a no effort clear.

And then you got the stupid rear end playerbase who probably wouldn't even give enough votes to kick the person anyways. I'm in a dungeon right now and it took 2 tries before they finally booted the guy who disconnected right at the start 20 minutes ago.

E: And saying anything will most likely make the pubs just kick you instead.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Pets take an irritatingly long time to reach max level in Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns. The amount of exp you get for doing stuff is hilariously poorly balanced compared to how much exp is needed to reach level 10.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Leal posted:

A lot of people have been jumping into duty roulettes and then disconnecting in an attempt to connect later, near the end of the duty in FF14. The kick mechanic is stupidly restrictive though:

If its within 5 minutes, you can't kick.

If there is an item that needs to be rolled on, you can't kick, even if the person wasn't online when the item was dropped.

If you're in combat, you can't kick.

So by the time 5 minutes goes by, you probably got an item drop. There will be at least one person who wont bother rolling, and the roll lasts another 5 minutes before it forces a roll. This can lead to you going from boss to boss, getting more and more items to roll on that no one will roll on. And the whole time, you can't boot the jackass who is trying to get a no effort clear.

And then you got the stupid rear end playerbase who probably wouldn't even give enough votes to kick the person anyways. I'm in a dungeon right now and it took 2 tries before they finally booted the guy who disconnected right at the start 20 minutes ago.

E: And saying anything will most likely make the pubs just kick you instead.

This is, quite literally, the first time i have ever heard of anyone even trying that. That being said, that's a reportable offence, same if the pubs try to kick you for complaining about that, so remember the name of whoever did that.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Nuebot posted:

Which is where the combat system lost me. Armor is annoying. You see - as you say, it's all about shooting body parts off of dudes. More than halfway through the game everything starts wearing armor. Then its armor has armor. Then the armor's armor has armor. You have to shoot the armor off to shoot the body parts. It sucks and I hate it and it makes every encounter take five times as long.
Armor over armor is kinda cool at first because it's more parts that you can destroy to regain bezels when fighting tough enemies, but yeah, when regular enemies start having that, fights really start to drag on. It's doubly egregious when the armor is visually represented by sunglasses or a hat, like that was the reason the enemy couldn't take any damage, because he had sunglasses.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

It's cool that Mafia 3 has the bad classic GTA pedestrian ai where they will dive off the sidewalk onto the road if you drive too fast.

Yeah, I've been playing through Mafia 3 and there are a number of things that are bugging me, despite it being pretty good over all.

- Insane suicidal pedestrians
- Insane homicidal cops (this makes sense because your character is black and it's set in the US, but a cop car t-boned me, which counts as a crime, so they got out and murdered me)
- I mentioned before but the switch back to the default costume in almost all cutscenes is really jarring, and makes having different costumes pointless
- Every time you finish a district, you get dumped in the middle of the swamp and have to drive for 5+ minutes to get to another mission.
- Body armour gets wrecked if you ding your car while driving. It's cool that you can have guns and stuff delivered to you at any time, at least, so I usually don't buy armour until I arrive at a mission start point because otherwise chances are it'll be half/entirely broken by the time I get there, unless I drive painfully slowly and obey all traffic rules.
- The radio RNG seems bad. Confirmation bias and all, sure, but in over 20 hours of playing I've heard half of 'Son of a Preacher Man' once, whereas 'Paint it Black' is on every other time I drive anywhere. Also, 'All Along The Watch Tower' is on the start screen but not on the radio anywhere? Why?!
- Can only use one remote detonator at a time. I'm trying to blow up a tonne of stuff in a warehouse, but blowing something up attracts police. Thought I'd be clever and plant a bunch of remote bombs and then detonate them all at once, but trying to place a second one just blows up the first. In the end I just wildly threw grenades and jumped into the sea, because the police will never find you there.

It's still a really solid GTA-clone, and the presentation of the gameplay as a sort of documentary on how your character took down the mob is pretty novel. It does a great job of making you really want to take out the bad guys, usually because they're all insanely racist pieces of poo poo.

There's a great scene at a klan rally where most of the people are unarmed, there are only a few guards, but it's incredibly satisfying to chuck a couple of molotovs at them. This is the only time in the entire game where you are not punished for hurting unarmed people.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Quote-Unquote posted:

- Every time you finish a district, you get dumped in the middle of the swamp and have to drive for 5+ minutes to get to another mission.

Ever since The Saboteur had me drive from one corner of the map to the opposite corner to meet a mission giver, only for the mission to take place back where I started so I had to drive back, this has been pretty much a deal breaker for me in open world games. The only exceptions are where your travel method is both fast and fun (so stuff like Spider-Man and Saints Row IV) or the map is small (Yakuza). Most open world games have gotten better about it, but when we still called them "GTA clones" it was a loving epidemic. If I remember right its also one of the things that killed Far Cry 2 for me, the fast travel points were only around the edges of the map but the main quest givers were in the center.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I'm on the last mission of Mafia 3 and all the radio stations are playing horrible metal covers of other songs on the soundtrack

It's really, really bad.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The dialogue trees in Uncharted 4. They only appear two or three times and all you can really do is choose what quip Nate will make. It would've been better if they just had cut them completely.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tiggum posted:

Unfortunately I'm not sure I can get past the look of it. Plus, having the characters I know from TV in them is one of the things that really appeals to me about the WWE games.

It's all but certain that literally every wrestler who ever existed has been recreated in excruciating detail and uploaded to the workshop.

Quote-Unquote posted:

- Insane homicidal cops (this makes sense because your character is black and it's set in the US, but a cop car t-boned me, which counts as a crime, so they got out and murdered me)

No, that still depressingly checks out.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

John Murdoch posted:

It's all but certain that literally every wrestler who ever existed has been recreated in excruciating detail and uploaded to the workshop.

No, that still depressingly checks out.

I read a goon once say he only plays WWE games if he's able to recreate disgraced murderer Chris Benoit which is a special level of morbid

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Only play WWE games that let you play as the Shockmaster.

But also don't play any of the ones where you can play as the Shockmaster either.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
nah, WWE games are worth it if only for the Jermarumble

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Been playing Templar Battleforce. This is more a general trope but if you make a tactics or roleplaying game and your very first baby attack with a narrow twig deals 150 damage then the damage scaling in your game blows.

My tiny squirrel brain categorizes any number north of 80 as "conceptually abstract " and "bullshit" so triple digit numbers should really be minimized in games that aren't spreadsheet simulators

Honorable mentions to Paper Mario TTYD, X-Com, and Mechanicus.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Planet Coaster has a number of levels you can play where you're given a number of objectives to complete and usually a park with some rides and shops pre-built. The problem is in a number of levels I've played these pre-built shops are in the worst possible areas, and you're sometimes given 20 or so shops when you only need four or five.

This results in you paying thousands of dollars in upkeep each month to stores that do nothing but lose you money and sometimes they're in park specific scenery which you can't even delete so you have manually go in an close the shop then fire the worker.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Bloodstained:

You have this rather useless backstep mapped to one of the face buttons. There will be times when you'll really wish you could mash L1 to dash instead like in Mega Man X. You can unlock a super-dash but only at the 95 percent mark.

Related to the above there is a rather finicky technique system with the weapons. You can unleash parries and combos with select weapons through a button-sequence I only got right a third the time. There's a face button on the gamepad that's never used and could have helped alleviate this underused mechanic.

I'll give it credit the game only shits its pants in the time and money department when hits level 16, of 17. The Den of the Behemoths sounds like an imposing area but, like Lost Izalith, it's actually just a total recycle of previous area with all the returning enemy-types being blown up in size. The zone is a slog to traverse with no fast-travel.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Hey, Final Fantasy XIV? It's actually not fun in any way at all to have your introduction to a new area be doing menial chores for capricious childlike creatures who clearly don't respect you at all. And just acknowledging that it's annoying as hell doesn't actually stop it being annoying as hell.

I would've hoped that we'd have learned this the first time we made this mistake, but apparently we didn't.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

Only play WWE games that let you play as the Shockmaster.

But also don't play any of the ones where you can play as the Shockmaster either.

the simulation that exists entirely on my old PS2 memory card in which the Christmas Creature won and kept the Heavyweight belt is as valid as the godless simulation we currently live in

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cleretic posted:

Hey, Final Fantasy XIV? It's actually not fun in any way at all to have your introduction to a new area be doing menial chores for capricious childlike creatures who clearly don't respect you at all. And just acknowledging that it's annoying as hell doesn't actually stop it being annoying as hell.

I would've hoped that we'd have learned this the first time we made this mistake, but apparently we didn't.

Having to repeat Hunt 10 Bear Asses for every new faction you meet is an MMO staple and to every player's dismay it just refuses to die

edit: Ah, well known hero John/Jill Protagonist, savior of multiple realms, master of many skills and trades and richer than god. Unfortunately around here we just don't TRUST you, but we might if you bring us 10 grilled cactuars!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

CJacobs posted:

Having to repeat Hunt 10 Bear Asses for every new faction you meet is an MMO staple and to every player's dismay it just refuses to die

edit: Ah, well known hero John/Jill Protagonist, savior of multiple realms, master of many skills and trades and richer than god. Unfortunately around here we just don't TRUST you, but we might if you bring us 10 grilled cactuars!

I'm not even talking about a new area's people asking you to do things to earn your trust. XIV's expansions actually do fairly well at that for the most part, with requests that make a reasonable amount of sense and teach you about this new area. Of course this downtrodden village in an occupied country is wary of some new rando, but in the course of helping them out with two or three tiny things you learn their situation, and usually the requests themselves are a little more juicy than 'Killl Ten Rats'.

Except when childish beast creatures are the first things you meet! Then it's a runaround that gives you no new information, takes ages, and clearly provided no material gain for them either.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 12:56 on Jul 11, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
At least FF14's quest names usually knock it out of the park with some dumbass reference or pun that makes you laugh, it's worth suffering menial tasks just for quest names like Gunblades Of The Patriots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The runners of FFXIV evidently got their poo poo together if they could revive an MMO three years after a disastrous launch. Now if only the rest of Square Enix could make with the times. FFXV was in pre-production for 7 years, rushed to finish in 3, and so diced-up that character-development was turned into cordoned-off DLC.