Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

They've got a whole network of Marthas in the households of Gilead's most powerful men but I guess none of them ever looked down at their kitchen knife and thought, hmm I could put this in that dude's throat no fuckin problem. (apologies if somebody actually did that at one point, it's been a while)

Moira and Emily have both killed Commanders/wives (and even bonded over it last episode) but they also got the hell out of Gilead like a sane person. Emily also shanked Aunt Lydia in the back on her way out but all that caused was Lydia to ride a scooter while tasing handmaids for a few episodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

If I was living in a theocratic military dictatorship that executes people for infidelity I would totally shank their high command and expect to get away with it because I’m a total badass rebel, why can’t these characters be like me

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

If I was living in a theocratic military dictatorship that executes people for infidelity I would totally shank their high command and expect to get away with it because I’m a total badass rebel, why can’t these characters be like me
something like this will deffo happen. it'll just be drawn out over a couple more seasons.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I really want to know how the gently caress June is still alive after strangeling a pregnant handmaid when causing harm to one is like the most serious crime ever.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It just comes down to inconsistent bad writing.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Well, that was at least a tiny bit better. Particularly no Waterfords this time, which raised the score immensely.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Monaghan posted:

I really want to know how the gently caress June is still alive after strangeling a pregnant handmaid when causing harm to one is like the most serious crime ever.

bullshit magical plot armor which is getting so thick I'm about to have 3D streaming without the glasses.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
heh, they're just torturing them by having them call each other "crybaby" now.

Next episode, Aunt Lydia gives Ofmatthew a wet willy.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
OK the hilarious end of the episode makes up for Aunt Lydia's backstory not being as good as it should have been.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

okay I finished the episode and I'm laughing like a jackal because what the hell was that.

There's like 9 guards just standing there with their dick in their hands while a handmaid MURDERS one of them and has a fuckin gun and :lol: . Why did she even flip out? Who the gently caress knows. And why is it always poor loving Jeanine?

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 10, 2019

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

okay I finished the episode and I'm laughing like a jackal because what the hell was that.

There's like 9 guards just standing there with their dick in their hands while a handmaid MURDERS one of them and has a fuckin gun and :lol: . Why did she even flip out? Who the gently caress knows.

I think she's probably having the same thought's as June about the stillborn baby girl being lucky. I dunno I just enjoyed June's poo poo-eating grin for the whole rampage.

You'd think at some point this would come back on Aunt Lydia, other than getting a gun pointed at her or knifed and pushed down the stairs. Like the higher-ups would notice. This is the third handmaid freakout under her watch? This, Emily, bomber who killed a bunch of commanders. If her job is to keep the sex slaves making babies without drama, she's doing it horribly.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 10, 2019

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lmao June keeps getting black people killed does this show even know that it’s doing this because I seriously doubt it

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

lmao June keeps getting black people killed does this show even know that it’s doing this because I seriously doubt it

it's absolutely weird virtue signaling trying to yell about racism and doing it so bad.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
So, we're just going with June as a complete psychopath now? Cool, cool.

From Vox's review:

quote:

I will give The Handmaid’s Tale this: It is a pretty bold move to deliberately turn the text of the show into, “Yeah, the protagonist should probably be dead.”

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Well this poo poo with June is not going to get better

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-handmaids-tales-showrunner-shares-what-keeps-june-a-1836016377

quote:

We recently had the opportunity to chat with Miller about changes in The Handmaid’s Tale coming into season three. During our talk, we discussed the fact that other characters in The Handmaid’s Tale have been killed for much less than the actions June has taken this season. For example, she helped Nichole escape to Canada, and tried to work with a foreign government to ensure she could never be returned to the Waterfords.

In last week’s episode, she even conspired with a Martha to escape with Hannah. The Martha was executed for it, and all June got was a momentary “shame” circle—one that was halted the moment June threw Ofmatthew under the bus (which ended with Ofmatthew lashing out in the grocery store and getting shot by a Guardian). Miller said June’s survival is partially because Gilead is short on fertile women, and also because she knows how to ally herself with powerful people. But in the end, the main reason June survives is because we already know she survived.

“We’re telling the story about the person who survived to tell us our story. When we start the series, we hear her talking to us, she’s talking to us from the future,” Miller told io9. “She’s telling the story in retrospect. We know she went through it. So, no matter how she navigates through she is going to make it through because that’s the story we’ve been given to tell.”

So she can do whatever the gently caress she want to do, ignore the rules we've already established, because this is the story we want to tell.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Monaghan posted:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-handmaids-tales-showrunner-shares-what-keeps-june-a-1836016377

So she can do whatever the gently caress she want to do, ignore the rules we've already established, because this is the story we want to tell.

I wonder if her laugh sounds like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H47ow4_Cmk0

Since it's Her Story and all.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

IIRC the book doesn't explicitly tell you she survives after she gets taken away by the Eyes (aka the end of S1); it just says that they found the story up til she gets in the van recorded on cassette tapes. It's implied that Gilead falls, but not necessarily that she survives.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

it's absolutely weird virtue signaling trying to yell about racism and doing it so bad.

*looks at your avatar* lmaoooooo

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Lum_ posted:

So, we're just going with June as a complete psychopath now? Cool, cool.

From Vox's review:
The daughter she had with Luke and loved to the point where she refused to leave Gilead without her has been removed from any chance of escape or rescue.
The handmaid who ratted out June's Martha ally directly foiled her plan to reunite with her daughter, "for her own good."
June was put in the middle of a circle where people accused her of being selfish for the crime of wanting to be with her daughter.

I think she was justified in being angry and petty.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What's Atwood's opinion to what's happening past S1, anyway?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Monaghan posted:

???

It's "The Handmaid's Tale." It's explicitly June's story, she is the handmaid in the title.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

There's like 9 guards just standing there with their dick in their hands while a handmaid MURDERS one of them and has a fuckin gun and :lol: . Why did she even flip out? Who the gently caress knows. And why is it always poor loving Jeanine?

There are things you can criticize the show about, but some of these posts are just silly. "Wouldn't someone have overheard June an Serena fighting at the Lincoln Memorial?" Maybe, but the point of the scene is June and Serena's relationship dynamic. "Wouldn't the guard have interfered with June choking out Ofmatthew?" No, it's an internal conflict between handmaids. "Why didn't the guards stop Ofmatthew sooner?" Because things sometimes happen too fast for anyone to react.

This show is shot and directed like a stage play, the character acting is the focus. I don't think the directors want us constantly worrying about who could be watching or listening at any given moment, or how much the guards are overhearing or whatever.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
you’d be a good writer for this show

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

So we're supposed to feel bad for Lydia because...she couldn't handle rejection? (It wasn't even a full rejection, he seemed sincere when he said he wanted to see her again). I'll admit, with the uneven characterization of basically every character in Gilead by now, I thought they would go hardcore into the "was a good person who underwent severe trauma/tragedy" route, but jesus.

Christ, this show is going off the rails.

The Ninth Layer posted:

This show is shot and directed like a stage play, the character acting is the focus. I don't think the directors want us constantly worrying about who could be watching or listening at any given moment, or how much the guards are overhearing or whatever.

It's a good thing they didn't spend the first 2 seasons emphasizing just how heavily-surveilled and monitored everyone, up to and including Commanders and Eyes are! That would be super-awkward.

It's already been flat-out stated that June survives, which is dumb as hell and goes against the original novel. But IMO if they wanted to turn this show from what it was in S1/2 to just a straight-up revolution, they should have planned for June to die, but her death being the spark that sets off something bigger. Like, I dunno. They've already shown that Lydia is unstable and has no problem beating a Handmaid unconscious in front of everyone - have the season be June antagonizing Lydia like she is now, but culminating in, say, June saying something so egregious during another Nichole broadcast that Lydia ends up beating her to death on live TV or something.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 10, 2019

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

The Ninth Layer posted:

I think she was justified in being angry and petty.

There's "angry and petty" and then there's giving this look when someone draws a gun on you

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Lum_ posted:

There's "angry and petty" and then there's giving this look when someone draws a gun on you

I mean if there's one thing I think about when I think about June it's how much she desires death. She's not a survivalist at all

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The Ninth Layer posted:

???

It's "The Handmaid's Tale." It's explicitly June's story, she is the handmaid in the title.

Yeah except in the ending of the book we never know what happens to her. Even the epilogue doesn't confirm whether or not she survives. June's story is put into cassette tapes. The professor admits he has no idea what happens to her.

June's been incredibly blatant breaking of the rules established by the society and previous scenes making it very clear that this society will rigorously enforce these rules. Having an infraction not being severely punished due to it being "her story" gives the writers a complete get out of jail free card for logical world building and character actions.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 10, 2019

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
One thing that is slowly bugging me more and more now that I'm noticing it:

The police/military have no uniforms or rank insignia except for the ugly looking strap things commanders wear. So basically generals have some form of uniform but no one else. I could buy that the handmaids are guarded by a plainclothes secret service style force but enough of Gilead has been shown outside of the commanders housing area that it's clear all of the military/police do not have uniforms. All the military wears are normal black clothes and knit caps without anything identifying rank. This stupid on so many levels I can't even get into it.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Monaghan posted:

Yeah except in the ending of the book we never know what happens to her. Even the epilogue doesn't confirm whether or not she survives. June's story is put into cassette tapes. The professor admits he has no idea what happens to her.

June's been incredibly blatant breaking of the rules established by the society and previous scenes making it very clear that this society will rigorously enforce these rules. Having an infraction not being severely punished due to it being "her story" gives the writers a complete get out of jail free card for logical world building and character actions.

I might agree with you if June had actually gotten someone killed but she didn't. She lost her cool in a way the other handmaids seemed to find socially justifiable at least until Gilead's institutions intervened. June was punished, the carrot on a stick that was Hannah was taken from her and she was publicly excoriated for "being selfish" because she wanted her daughter safe.

Lydia mentioned this episode that it's a shame June has had two viable children, she's not only valuable as a handmaid but she's also proven goods. We've already seen in other episodes that handmaids will get lighter punishments for the same crime than Marthas.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

The Ninth Layer posted:

I might agree with you if June had actually gotten someone killed but she didn't. She lost her cool in a way the other handmaids seemed to find socially justifiable at least until Gilead's institutions intervened. June was punished, the carrot on a stick that was Hannah was taken from her and she was publicly excoriated for "being selfish" because she wanted her daughter safe.

Lydia mentioned this episode that it's a shame June has had two viable children, she's not only valuable as a handmaid but she's also proven goods. We've already seen in other episodes that handmaids will get lighter punishments for the same crime than Marthas.

Remember Jeanine.

Remember all the girls who got burnt because June was an idiot (by their standards)

Remember that they were literally going to kill Jeanine.

Remember how multiple handmaids got sent off to die in the colonies.

Remember how they literally just killed someone for endangering a child and when June did it (the choking thing) it was alright? Like it was literally one scene prior to that.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
This is starting to remind me of that Jack's Tattoo episode of Lost.

(The episode was exemplary of wheel spinning)

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

DropsySufferer posted:

One thing that is slowly bugging me more and more now that I'm noticing it:

The police/military have no uniforms or rank insignia except for the ugly looking strap things commanders wear. So basically generals have some form of uniform but no one else. I could buy that the handmaids are guarded by a plainclothes secret service style force but enough of Gilead has been shown outside of the commanders housing area that it's clear all of the military/police do not have uniforms. All the military wears are normal black clothes and knit caps without anything identifying rank. This stupid on so many levels I can't even get into it.

Are you in the military or something because of all the things to criticise in this show, this is a really weird one to get hung up on. I never even noticed it

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Remember Jeanine.

Remember all the girls who got burnt because June was an idiot (by their standards)

Remember that they were literally going to kill Jeanine.

Remember how multiple handmaids got sent off to die in the colonies.

Remember how they literally just killed someone for endangering a child and when June did it (the choking thing) it was alright? Like it was literally one scene prior to that.

Janine was physically threatening the life of a baby. And in that instance the handmaids refused to stone her.

The handmaids sent to the Colonies were recalled because of all the handmaids they lost in the suicide bomb.

The person they just killed was a Martha, a nobody. When Emily was caught seeing a Martha, the Martha got killed and Emily got castrated.

edit: I didn't interpret June choking Ofmatthew as "she's trying to strangle her to death" but rather "she's blind with rage at the betrayal."

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 11, 2019

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
June does have the trump card of "they need me to get Nichole back" and she reminded Lydia of it this episode.

It's like the last time she did a bunch of dumb poo poo and assumed her pregnancy would protect her in that eventually it will be over and she will have to deal with these people the people she's pissing off without that protection.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

June does have the trump card of "they need me to get Nichole back" and she reminded Lydia of it this episode.

It's like the last time she did a bunch of dumb poo poo and assumed her pregnancy would protect her in that eventually it will be over and she will have to deal with these people the people she's pissing off without that protection.

But do they really need her. Because the handmaids all look alike with that stupid collar thing on.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Wafflecopper posted:

Are you in the military or something because of all the things to criticise in this show, this is a really weird one to get hung up on. I never even noticed it

Nope. Anyway it's just weird to me that the Gilead army lacks uniforms and every solider is dressed like a paramilitary gunman. I guess Gilead is really poor. :shrug:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Ninth Layer posted:

Janine was physically threatening the life of a baby. And in that instance the handmaids refused to stone her.

The handmaids sent to the Colonies were recalled because of all the handmaids they lost in the suicide bomb.

The person they just killed was a Martha, a nobody. When Emily was caught seeing a Martha, the Martha got killed and Emily got castrated.

edit: I didn't interpret June choking Ofmatthew as "she's trying to strangle her to death" but rather "she's blind with rage at the betrayal."

congrats on having by far the weirdest takes in this thread

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Idk I don't really want the show to kill June, and it seems like most of the read of the thread does.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Uh I don't think anyone in the thread wants her dead as much as they are lamenting the increasingly distracting lack of consequences for the increasingly bonkers and out-in-the-open things she's doing. The show is completely losing its original message.

e: it's not like "shows that get real bad real fast once they run out of the source material" is a new and shocking thing, either.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

The Ninth Layer posted:

Idk I don't really want the show to kill June, and it seems like most of the read of the thread does.

Nah, they just want the tension back. It's no longer a thriller.

S1 legit freaked me out. But the magic's gone.

More shows should end on a high note. Good endings are hard to come by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The Ninth Layer posted:

No I want her to go back in time to Season 2 and shoot the Weatherfords and escape to Canada.