Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I thought it was the final 79 quest and the rest start the 80s at that point.
The only bad thing I thought about it was how hyped I was for the MSQ and now I have to take a slight break and I wanted to press on in the worst way. A minor speed bump.

It was also really cool to get your AF gear then go march to that sweet sweet ending in it.

I've settled on PLD, WHM and MCH as my three classes to focus on. PLD is just a joy to tank with, WHM has all the tools that a bad like me needs to keep people alive and still poo poo out holy spam and feels very forgiving. And MCH, well..... Every time I see Drill come off cooldown I hear this in my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ljtZJ9g5zo

Think i'll abandon my sky pirate outfit and make me a Metal Slug glam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

cum calamity posted:

2 pages behind but yes and I hate it because one specific person on Aether is notorious for doing this every single time they go in duty finder. Ruined my friends first Crystarium run. Dramatic series of cutscenes followed by the boss spinning in circles helplessly doing no mechanics before dying after 45 seconds.

Baffled that they still never seem to punish people for it.

Do you mean Praetorium? Got bad news for you: Those bosses don't have mechanics to begin with.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

The timing of the final role quest is just really awkward narratively, and one of my few issues with ShB's plot. Hello Warrior of Darkness, you're dying and you'll end the world when you die, but would you like to learn more about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints Ardbert's crew?

The quests themselves are fine, but they'd make a lot more sense to shove in at 79, maybe while that giant Talos is being built.

I feel like as much as they build up you have light cancer and you are terminal, there is nothing you can do but take your own life, wait it out and accept it, or go kick Emet-Selche's rear end on the way out , I can't buy into it because it's like "bitch, I'm the WoL! You think this is even going to slow me down?!"

Which is a shame because your character's facial reactions and animations, and general response really sell it :smith:

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 10, 2019

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

the scholar insta-crit button is really really good

it’s less good that you can’t spread critlos like you used to

I understand why because cheesing boss mechanics with bigass shields was way too good (“I HAVE BEEN CALLED THE GOD OF THUNDER, YOU WILL NOW KNOW WHY” *0 damage* :smugdog:) but it takes some of the fun out of it

I feel like some of the scholar changes centered around that on-demand crit and I’m not sure it was worth it

I’m also struggling to understand why aetherflow is only usable in combat, it’s real fuckin awkward and almost always a waste of mp, is it really that big an advantage to have 6 effective stacks of aetherflow at the start of combat when you can’t really dump stacks efficiently anymore?

maybe I just need to get used to it, or maybe it’s nicer after 75

(also the tool tips for faerie abilities need to describe those abilities and not just say “make the faerie do a thing”)

the irony of me complaining about scholar when I pooh-poohed naysayers before release is not lost on me

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like the Amh Araeng music a lot. The normal battle music is kind of goofy and feels really out of place alongside the zone music, though.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

UHD posted:

the scholar insta-crit button is really really good

it’s less good that you can’t spread critlos like you used to

I want to know which SCH main has the monkey's paw.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I like how one of the conflicts during the physical DPS role quest is your partner going "please, for the love of gods, stop getting random flashbacks in front of the enemy!"

GentlemanGiant
Jan 6, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I like the Amh Araeng music a lot. The normal battle music is kind of goofy and feels really out of place alongside the zone music, though.

You can turn off normal battle music in the sound settings. It really helps the ambiance of the zone to not have the bgm interrupted by guitar riffs every time you run past an ant or a cactus.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

UHD posted:

the irony of me complaining about scholar when I pooh-poohed naysayers before release is not lost on me

I mean if it makes you feel better, I mercilessly poo poo on the healer changes before release, and now I'm fine with most of them (sorry AST). :v: Enhanced Sacred Soil is a game-changer, and might honestly be a better button than Indomitability.

TulliusCicero posted:

I feel like as much as they build up you have light cancer and you are terminal, there is nothing you can do but take your own life, wait it out and accept it, or go kick Emet-Selche's rear end on the way out , I can't buy into it because it's like "bitch, I'm the WoL! You think this is even going to slow me down?!"

Which is a shame because your character's facial reactions and animations, and general response really sell it

They sell it really well even if the limitations of the genre mean that you're obviously not going to permanently die or turn into a mindless abomination. I teared up more than a few times during that run up to the end, and had to stop for a bit after the "a smile better suits a hero" scene because god drat. :smith:

More lightly, there's some 10/10 screenshots to be had throughout the end, in and out of cutscenes.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

UHD posted:

I’m also struggling to understand why aetherflow is only usable in combat, it’s real fuckin awkward and almost always a waste of mp, is it really that big an advantage to have 6 effective stacks of aetherflow at the start of combat when you can’t really dump stacks efficiently anymore?

I think it's less about having the stacks at the beginning of combat, and more about trying to reduce time spent standing around waiting pre-pull for something to come off of cooldown.

Not saying that that makes the change worth it, though. It doesn't.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

UHD posted:

I’m also struggling to understand why aetherflow is only usable in combat

It's mainly to keep resources available at the start of combat consistent (e.g. SCH doesn't have 6 Aetherflow immediately for the opening of fights, WHM doesn't have three Lilies + AfMisery) and to get rid of the resultant waiting around that'd normally be required for groups looking to min-max (every pre-pull taking 1:30 for AST to get full seals).

Zack Ater posted:

I'm largely fine with it. The only annoying parts are SCH having to watch their Aetherflow carefully to ensure they can keep rolling Excog in dungeons and AST's cards being a bit finnicky if you try to deploy them the instant combat starts but before the server registers that you're in combat.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 10, 2019

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The final shot of the MSQ is how I will always remember my WoL in my head.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

The removal of the prepull stuff makes sense, but also is incredibly frustrating in dungeons. I feel like a good compromise would be a decent time period post combat that lets you do those things, so you can at least do the prep between pulls after everything dies and not feel bad because you failed to remember to use your resource generator before the last guy dies, or it was on cd and just came off of it.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i poop fire posted:

I tell healers to hit me with rescue if they think I'm pulling more than they're comfortable with. I haven't had anyone do it yet.

Dragging a tank through the finish lines is a matter of honor and duty

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Vermain posted:

I'm largely fine with it. The only annoying parts are SCH having to watch their Aetherflow carefully to ensure they can keep rolling Excog in dungeons and AST's cards being a bit finnicky if you try to deploy them the instant combat starts but before the server registers that you're in combat.

I mostly just mean that I don't think Aetherflow was a big problem in that regards previously. We waited 30 seconds, I think, before pulling in Savage stuff? Not a big problem, and the change sounds annoying in trash pulls, which matters more to more people. Waiting on AST cards sucked, though.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

I mean if it makes you feel better, I mercilessly poo poo on the healer changes before release, and now I'm fine with most of them (sorry AST). :v: Enhanced Sacred Soil is a game-changer, and might honestly be a better button than Indomitability.

you were the one I was thinking of when I wrote that part :v:

Zack Ater posted:

I think it's less about having the stacks at the beginning of combat, and more about trying to reduce time spent standing around waiting pre-pull for something to come off of cooldown.

people actually did that?

I just kinda dealt with whatever state I was in when the fight started

Vermain posted:

It's mainly to keep resources available at the start of combat consistent (e.g. SCH doesn't have 6 Aetherflow immediately for the opening of fights, WHM doesn't have three Lilies + AfMisery) and to get rid of the resultant waiting around that'd normally be required for groups looking to min-max (every pre-pull taking 1:30 for AST to get full seals).

all right that’s fair

I still think scholar got poo poo on more than the other healers but that’s just because scholar is the best

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
I know getting an actual hug emote to work would be a real challenge due to all the different sized races but I think the devs should spend a whole patch cycle and get it done. Everyone in ShB needed a hug at some point.

There is one small really quick scene where Alphinaud and Alisae kind of physically support each other and it's great.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Fister Roboto posted:

Can we talk about how good the new crafting abilities are? None of them actually make you better at crafting per se, but they all save you actual, real life time, which is the most valuable resource of them all. Delicate Synthesis is the best of them all because it lets you do two actions at once, and you don't even need Steady Hand for it. Preparatory Touch is great because it's literally two uses of Basic Touch in one action. Rapid Synthesis II is good, but I'm not a fan since it has a chance to fail. Intensive Synthesis can be good if you don't like macro crafting. Reuse is OK, it apparently can only refund the first material on the crafting list, but it still ends up saving you time in the long run if you have the CP for it. Trained Eye/Instinct look pretty underwhelming but I guess they'd still save you a lot of time for low level crafts, like say custom deliveries.

Combined with the nerf to Maker's Mark, which IMHO was a terrible ability, crafting is in a really good place right now.

I’m used to manual crafting and I cant wrap my head around preparatory touch. Clearly it’s incredibly powerful, and I had it pointed out to me that it increases the value of waste not 1/2, but I still don’t really understand the idea behind when to use it and have to rely on others’ macros for the time being. I feel like a dumb dumb :(

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

UHD posted:

people actually did that?

I just kinda dealt with whatever state I was in when the fight started

Not for dungeons and stuff, but EX/Savage/Ultimate, yeah.

CuddlyZombie posted:

I’m used to manual crafting and I cant wrap my head around preparatory touch. Clearly it’s incredibly powerful, and I had it pointed out to me that it increases the value of waste not 1/2, but I still don’t really understand the idea behind when to use it and have to rely on others’ macros for the time being. I feel like a dumb dumb :(

Prep touch lets you fit more quality under buffs; for example, you can get effectively 8 basic touches under ingenuity 2 instead of 4 prudent touches.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

funkymonks posted:

I know getting an actual hug emote to work would be a real challenge due to all the different sized races but I think the devs should spend a whole patch cycle and get it done. Everyone in ShB needed a hug at some point.

There is one small really quick scene where Alphinaud and Alisae kind of physically support each other and it's great.

I get the limitations but in the end scene I desperately wished Alisae would just launch herself into a hug with the wol, with Alphinaud joining in after. I love my dumb elf babies and wish the game would let me show it.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

How did it take you to realize you were fighting the Knights of The Round summon from FF7?

A minor quibble, but y'all are talking about the Singularity Reactor.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

They sell it really well even if the limitations of the genre mean that you're obviously not going to permanently die or turn into a mindless abomination. I teared up more than a few times during that run up to the end, and had to stop for a bit after the "a smile better suits a hero" scene because god drat. :smith:

You could absolutely have done a lot of damage first though

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I love that WoL more than any other mmo player character is an established character themselves with thoughts, fears, beliefs, friends, loved ones etc.

It is one of the best things FFXIV has done, and they do it so well

watching Alisae realize that she can't save her best friend/ possible crush (especially after earlier) from the exact same fate as her friend, and her just utter despair and anger kick in got to me :smith:

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 10, 2019

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love

Rhonne posted:

I like how one of the conflicts during the physical DPS role quest is your partner going "please, for the love of gods, stop getting random flashbacks in front of the enemy!"

Yeah, Giott yells at you during the healer one for collapsing during battles over and over. She even doesn't have the heart to sling her normal string of insults on of the last times

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

funkymonks posted:

I thought it was really compelling that the devs have finally gotten the confidence to sync up two characters' animations so that they seem to be touching. for example, runar carrying y'shtola, the various minfilia/ryne pats on the head, or thancred clapping the crystal exarch on the back as the camera pulls back post-hades

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Brainamp posted:

I get the limitations but in the end scene I desperately wished Alisae would just launch herself into a hug with the wol, with Alphinaud joining in after. I love my dumb elf babies and wish the game would let me show it.

Alisaie's crushing on the WoL is pretty cute in general, it was especially funny (ending spoiler) at the end when she just shoved Alphinaud aside while he was celebrating Emet-Selch's fall to ask if more importantly the WoL was alright.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
Level 80 trial spoiler.

It would have been pretty cool to have a solo duty where you morph into a light monster and just gently caress up Hades after the trial.

Although the scene we got with everything going black and a pinprick of light emanating from the WoL turning into a geyser then a supernova was still amazing and probably the correct design choice.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

World War Mammories posted:

I thought it was really compelling that the devs have finally gotten the confidence to sync up two characters' animations so that they seem to be touching. for example, runar carrying y'shtola, the various minfilia/ryne pats on the head, or thancred clapping the crystal exarch on the back as the camera pulls back post-hades

And most importantly, Y'shtola slapping Urianger's rear end

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

somepartsareme posted:

And most importantly, Y'shtola slapping Urianger's rear end

Runar+Y'shtola is the official SHB pairing though :colbert:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

How did it take you to realize you were fighting the Knights of The Round summon from FF7?
That's a different dungeon, the ARF has the fight with the merged Ascians

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

FactsAreUseless posted:

That's a different dungeon, the ARF has the fight with the merged Ascians

And the cutscene afterwards has the pope grabbing the eye and turning into king arthur

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Zack Ater posted:

Prep touch lets you fit more quality under buffs; for example, you can get effectively 8 basic touches under ingenuity 2 instead of 4 prudent touches.

Thanks, that helps me understand the ability quite a bit. To be honest, when doing manual crafting, I only really use ingenuity 2 for my finisher, as I have a hard time calculating its value on the fly for other crafts. However, I’m still leveling up crafting and have never done starred crafting at-level yet. I understand that keeping up ingenuity becomes really important then, so I can see how useful preparatory touch can be for that

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

GentlemanGiant posted:

You can turn off normal battle music in the sound settings. It really helps the ambiance of the zone to not have the bgm interrupted by guitar riffs every time you run past an ant or a cactus.

Wait can I turn off mount music

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Wait can I turn off mount music

Yes!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oh thank god I would sprint places because I didn’t wanna ruin it

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I wish I could turn off the generic mount music and leave on the special ones.

Also, anyone have any tips for winning the Feast as a Paladin?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

The timing of the final role quest is just really awkward narratively, and one of my few issues with ShB's plot. Hello Warrior of Darkness, you're dying and you'll end the world when you die, but would you like to learn more about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints Ardbert's crew?

The quests themselves are fine, but they'd make a lot more sense to shove in at 79, maybe while that giant Talos is being built.

It's weirder to me how the actual reason you need to do it is because Some dude is having creative issues and you go "actually let me tell you about something a friend of mine and i did a little while ago"

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

The Shame Boy posted:

It's weirder to me how the actual reason you need to do it is because Some dude is having creative issues and you go "actually let me tell you about something a friend of mine and i did a little while ago"
This was what made me laugh, because they made a big deal about needing to complete at least one role quest line before you could beat the main story and then THAT'S the roadblock.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
We're all forgetting the best part about this quest that requires you to finish the role quest line which is that you're literally cheering up First!Gerolt and not only does the WoL visibly go "awwwww gently caress not this poo poo again" on seeing him but the only real difference between this dude and Source!Gerolt is a head of long, luxurious hair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Hello, I am thinking about trying this out because I'm getting the MMO itch gain and BfA sucks major rear end. Two quick questions: Can you guys tell me more about housing (do free trial accounts get the opportunity to play with it at all?), and which goon guild should I join if I do sign up?