Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Solice Kirsk posted:

Is it just redhead dudes that catch hell in the UK, or is there an untapped reservoir of "undateable" redheaded women just sitting there?!

You’re only ginger if you’re ugly. If you’re good looking, you’re a redhead. This is true for men and women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

lemonadesweetheart posted:

The biggest % of people with red hair is Scotland followed by Ireland. It's not really hard to understand why this may have lead to prejudice from the English.

A friend of mine with red hair visited the UK and said that several times servers and clerks were rude to her until she spoke and revealed herself to be an American, at which point they became friendlier to her. That was always shocking to me, because it has to be a big deal if you’re better off being American (objectively an extremely loathsome country wrt the world stage) rather than Scottish or Irish.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

A friend of mine with red hair visited the UK and said that several times servers and clerks were rude to her until she spoke and revealed herself to be an American, at which point they became friendlier to her. That was always shocking to me, because it has to be a big deal if you’re better off being American (objectively an extremely loathsome country wrt the world stage) rather than Scottish or Irish.

The British love Americans because we took the Puritans off their hands.

But yeah, it makes no sense and the English are probably mortified that the rest of the world see's no difference between Scottish, Irish, and them.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I figured making fun of redheads was done ironically and considered ok because they're white and nobody could be reasonably expected to give a poo poo. The window of what you can make fun of has since shifted to disclude redheads

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

hawowanlawow posted:

I figured making fun of redheads was done ironically and considered ok because they're white and nobody could be reasonably expected to give a poo poo. The window of what you can make fun of has since shifted to disclude redheads

The thing about making fun of people is that it's only the people who are doing it who are enjoying themselves.

No matter how ridiculous the reason, people going out of their way to poo poo on you is never fun.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm a fat guy with terrible eyesight, if a buddy at work makes a crack about my ridiculously thick glasses I can laugh about it. If a total stranger does it, it's extremely rude and I'm probably going to feel terrible after. You can't really be a shithead to people you don't know 'ironically'.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

It's funny to make fun of other white people, just be sure nothing you're making fun of can be construed as a disability, like uh ...having red hair

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
What's funny about making GBS threads on red hair?

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

As others have pointed out, it's really a negative stereotype created by the British against Scottish and Irish people, who they oppressed and exploited for centuries. It's not an ironic stereotype, it's just stupid Americans repeating very real, and bigoted, sentiments because they lack the context for it. And the Irish weren't really considered white by either British or US society until around the turn of the twentieth century. In the US, Irish only became white as a way to secure their votes and maintain the power of the east coast urban political machines. Note that this wave of immigration was spurred by the British murdering hundreds of thousands of Irish people through a famine.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

acting like poo poo that doesn't matter matters is funny and satirizes those who genuinely hate people based on poo poo that doesn't matter

you just have to pick something that nobody could possibly consider part of their identity

like this:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Preem Palver posted:

As others have pointed out, it's really a negative stereotype created by the British against Scottish and Irish people, who they oppressed and exploited for centuries. It's not an ironic stereotype, it's just stupid Americans repeating very real, and bigoted, sentiments because they lack the context for it. And the Irish weren't really considered white by either British or US society until around the turn of the twentieth century. In the US, Irish only became white as a way to secure their votes and maintain the power of the east coast urban political machines. Note that this wave of immigration was spurred by the British murdering hundreds of thousands of Irish people through a famine.

So it’s similar to how most Americans don’t think of gypsies as a racial thing and more of something you can become, like running away to the circus

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
One of my favorite comics is Diane Spencer, and because she's redheaded she does a ton of jokes on what life is like being ginger. The UK is bad, but it sounds like Australia is worse as their chosen epithet for redheads is "Rang-er" (based on orangutan).

hawowanlawow posted:

It's funny to make fun of other white people, just be sure nothing you're making fun of can be construed as a disability, like uh ...having red hair

It's not good to make fun of people because they look different from you and everyone else, regardless of ethnicity.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Preem Palver posted:

Yeah and nobody in America knew this until Brits got pissed off, hence why I said the window has since shifted

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Send me all the red heads, thank you in advance

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

hawowanlawow posted:

acting like poo poo that doesn't matter matters is funny and satirizes those who genuinely hate people based on poo poo that doesn't matter

Yeah but South Park is just bad at that, because they poo poo on redheads and also poo poo on people for being, like, Jewish, black, gay, trans, Chinese - just pick something you can't change about yourself. It's supposed to be equal opportunity mockery, but it amounted to being a big force for normalizing shittiness. Plus, they're just pretty bad at it - the jokes about the guy who runs the Chinese restaurant is like, "haha, we know nothing about China, at all, but this guy acts silly and has a weird accent." It's lazy poo poo and I don't really get how endlessly repeating stereotypes does... anything positive?

Aesop Poprock posted:

So it’s similar to how most Americans don’t think of gypsies as a racial thing and more of something you can become, like running away to the circus

Americans have a very hard time wrapping our heads around the ethnic groups of Europe.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Aesop Poprock posted:

You should be very careful about using the word "gypsie".

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Casey Finnigan posted:

Americans have a very hard time wrapping our heads around the ethnic groups of Europe.

Don't worry, Fox News is ready.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Alhazred posted:

You should be very careful about using the word "gypsie".

The handful of Americans aware that it's a pejorative name are not the ones Aesop Poprock is referencing.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

evobatman posted:

Almost every popular TV show in the early-mid 2010s had all the characters using Windows phones instead of iPhones or Androids, because Microsoft was pushing hard to try to make Windows phones happen. It was weird when these shows actually aired because nobody ever used a Windows phone, and it's going to be even weirder looking back at it.

Windows phones were great and I had a bunch of them, but there was zero mainstream market for them

The most unrealistic part of Get Out was the fact that every character used a Windows Phone.

After paying for all that product placement Microsoft ended production of the phone 8 months after the movie released. :homebrew:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Aesop Poprock posted:

The last two years I've lived down the road from a "Gypsy Flea Market" or something along those lines and both times we've been away from the area during it. I don't have proof but I suspect it's just white women who craft things.

I'm hoping this year we're in town and I can check it out to confirm my suspicion.

My fiancees sibling is one of those Just a Gypsy soultypes who has that plastered on all their social media despite taking offense to any other derogatory terms.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Len posted:

My fiancees sibling is one of those Just a Gypsy soultypes who has that plastered on all their social media despite taking offense to any other derogatory terms.

Most people I know like that think it means you wear a lot of scarves like Stevie Nicks, and Roma is just a kind of tomato.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Krispy Wafer posted:

But yeah, it makes no sense and the English are probably mortified that the rest of the world see's no difference between Scottish, Irish, and them.
The Scots might be a little more touchy about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwGZinTeodc

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

WaywardWoodwose posted:

Most people I know like that think it means you wear a lot of scarves like Stevie Nicks, and Roma is just a kind of tomato.

Jesus Christ I Googled the thing down the road.

quote:

Our journey began as  little gypsy twins with a dream..... We were always selling something, apples when we were 5 to our Grandfather, flowers to our neighbors,  vintage clothing & jewelry when we were teenagers. Our collection of goods traveled around with us through the years. We set up at antique shows & vintage fairs learning as much as we could about all of the unique treasures we sold. Our  dream one day was to open a boutique. Life got busy careers, marriages, kids so we took a break but the desire to have our own boutique never went away. We continued to collect items & discovered amazing passionate souls  as we traveled never missing an arts district or flea market. We grew up with our mother & grandmother teaching us the importance of homemade goods & how beneficial it was to make something rather than  buy it. As time passed we thought why not be gypsies again . We started selling all of our wares  along with some of our own handcrafted goods.  The talk of opening a boutique was in the works until we decided why not bring all of the gypsies, makers, artists, musicians, chefs, bakers & pop up shop owners together creating  a market for everyone to share. We wanted to create a day that would inspire our community  touching the mind, body and soul.  And so the Gypsy Market began on a beautiful summer day in July. The story begins with us but it continues with all of you. Lets be gypsies together...... 
Thank you for being a part of our journey ~The Gypsy Twins~ Keri & Kelly 

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Go visit sometime, ten bucks says that place will be Scarf city, population: chunky jewelry.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

WaywardWoodwose posted:

Go visit sometime, ten bucks says that place will be Scarf city, population: chunky jewelry.

Absolutely. I haven't seen a sign or Facebook event for a 2019 show but there's no plans to be away from town this summer.

After reading that and the line where they decided to by gypsy's again I'm 99% positive it's just white people who do crafts.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Len posted:

After reading that and the line where they decided to by gypsy's again I'm 99% positive it's just white people who do crafts.

one thousand percent.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

On the other hand there's plenty of people willing to go on My Big Fat American Gypsy Wedding so I think even the actual Roma in the U.S. are disconnected enough from the racism to not care that much.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Spice World has a scene where a big budget action FX sequence is supposed to happen and it just cuts to.... barbies and a toy bus being pushed off of a shoddy kids-sized bridge.
It is an insanely campy and fun movie.

BrigadierSensible posted:

The Spice Girls movie is to me one of the best affectionate piss takes ever. Everyone is in on the joke, everyone is having fun, all the barbs are good natured.
You want a great double-header? SPICE WORLD with a Josie and the Pussycats chaser. I swear Josie was some kind of love letter to the 98-01 era and is like a pitch perfect timecapsule of being a pre-911 teen.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I've never seen Spice anything, but Josie and the Pussycats is sublime.

I'm here because I was in the cartoon.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bogus Adventure posted:

One of my favorite comics is Diane Spencer, and because she's redheaded she does a ton of jokes on what life is like being ginger. The UK is bad, but it sounds like Australia is worse as their chosen epithet for redheads is "Rang-er" (based on orangutan).

It's not good to make fun of people because they look different from you and everyone else, regardless of ethnicity.

'Rang-er' seems to be used almost entirely affectionately, but can be hard to tell. Redheads are also frequently nicknamed 'Bluey'.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

evobatman posted:

Almost every popular TV show in the early-mid 2010s had all the characters using Windows phones instead of iPhones or Androids, because Microsoft was pushing hard to try to make Windows phones happen. It was weird when these shows actually aired because nobody ever used a Windows phone, and it's going to be even weirder looking back at it.

Windows Phones were cool :fistbumpemoticonthatIcan'trememberwhatitis:

Product placement kept Fringe alive (and Chuck? I don't remember Chuck now), so I can't complain that much. Buy Ford cars, they have Sync! No, buy Nissan instead, the Leap's electric! Sprint phones have video calling and NFC payments! I don't remember any being in the last season, but at that point there's probably no need. And apparently Walter's love of Red Vines was just something the writers thought up.

I should watch Fringe again to see if it's aged yet. Yeah, that's a good excuse.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
The best product placement by far was the running Scion joke in Frisky Dingo. "Doomed to enjoy a new Scion TC!"

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

'Rang-er' seems to be used almost entirely affectionately, but can be hard to tell. Redheads are also frequently nicknamed 'Bluey'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8bB_iwdt48&t=1750s

hyperhazard posted:

The best product placement by far was the running Scion joke in Frisky Dingo. "Doomed to enjoy a new Scion TC!"

YEAH!!!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

hyperhazard posted:

"That's the kind of forward thinking we love over at Scion"

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

hyperhazard posted:

No love for the Zima sign in Babylon 5?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Edit: NVM

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

uvar posted:

I should watch Fringe again to see if it's aged yet. Yeah, that's a good excuse.

The three seasons that actually existed held up pretty well. It's a shame it ended there.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

DrBouvenstein posted:

No love for the Zima sign in Babylon 5?

That was a background gag and they received no money for it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

hawowanlawow posted:

Yeah and nobody in America knew this until Brits got pissed off, hence why I said the window has since shifted
Historically speaking though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Barry Foster posted:

It's just as lovely as any of their other work.

Cannibal! The Musical remains their best effort.