Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Nasgate posted:

I'll test out the reflect ring strat tonight. For some reason I thought reflecting search didn't work on Matrix.

Ah, my bad, I didn't know the reflect strategy wasn't an option on Matrix. Godspeed, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
You might also want to test how the scary robot works in and around a Quick in the Matrix version. It's been a while for me (I usually don't try) but I remember it not working like I was led to believe. Like maybe he queues up his counters and so you get 6x countered when the Quick is over? Something like that. Something bad. Enough to make me say "this is never worth it without a Bard or Chemist."

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

birthday frog comes bearing gifts and special birthday wishes

Nasgate posted:

Rapidfire is always best if the enemy has a decent defense. Though against multiple enemies the random attacking can be bad.

2h will be better than dual wield if you have only one strong weapon that can be 2h(brave blade, Ragnarok).

MK with rapid flare CK will probably be the best single target damage. I say probably because of the classes and characters different stats, and therefore different M.

Tldr: 2h, dw, and Rapid all essentially double your damage. Rapid however, also reduces defense to 0 and guarantees accuracy.

In casual play, combining rapid+dw/2h+flare blade is the best physical damage you can get.

Seconded.

Early game, but here's what worked for me so far. Spellblade + Dual Wield + having swords (Mystic is the only one who could pull that off I think) was great combo against bosses as many have clear elemental weaknesses. For dungeons themselves, I just let everyone have skills to do with physical attacks (dual wield, two handed, etc); so I've never bothered to put, say, Throw or Animals (lol) on anyone else. Rapid Fire is great once you can get it, and I imagine that dungeons would be a breeze if everyone had it, equipped it, and abused the hell out of it.

No idea how I'll do Fork Tower to get Flare though. Probably some item that berserks people or some skill that isn't counted as a physical attack.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

blinking beacon nose posted:

No idea how I'll do Fork Tower to get Flare though. Probably some item that berserks people or some skill that isn't counted as a physical attack.

You cast Mute Blade and shank rugwizard in his dumb face. :)

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, mk is the only class that can just wear Hermes sandals and ngaf about Omni. It owns.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Taking on the Sealed Temple with this team: Good idea or great idea?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Samuel Clemens posted:

Taking on the Sealed Temple with this team: Good idea or great idea?

murder them all (gl with spinryu)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

MagusDraco posted:

murder them all (gl with spinryu)

RUN RUN RUN RUN

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

birthday frog comes bearing gifts and special birthday wishes

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah nevermind that rear end in a top hat is going down

blinking beacon nose fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 11, 2019

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Doom Goon posted:

Randomizer
:toxx:

I finished an extra spicy randomizer run. I only killed NED because I didn't feel like grinding some to take down Omega in a reasonable timeframe/kill another berserked Shinryu. Everyone was 21-23. Murdered some movers in the end to unlock everything for screenshots down below.

Run 9 Randomizer Pure Chaos: Dancer, Samurai, Red Mage, Mystic Knight

Bartz had Dancer with Revive, Samurai with Hide, Red Mage with Animals, and Mystic Knight with Guard and the below abilities. He jumped between a summon 4 guy and a white 6 guy after I finally unlocked white 6 for curaga and holy. For NED he had white 6. Didn't really make much use out of dualcast or call. red and time were low level

Lenna had some good poo poo. Dancer had Iainuki, Samurai had Kick (worthless), Red Mage had !Catch and Mystic Knight had !Flirt Did you know karlboss is heavy? Such a jerk. Bunch of other early bosses are not immune to Iainuki though including two of Liquid flame's three forms. !Catch got some use in w1 until summon 4 came online. Lenna had summon 4 and black 5 so like bartz I jumped between those two for the back half of the game. Lenna also had spellblade 6 but I rarely used it with her. She had better other options.

Galuf/Krile: Dancer with Smoke, Samurai with Catch, Red Mage with Animals, Mystic Knight with Image. They had sing which was very useful once I got swift song and the other great songs. Thanks to Lenna and Galuf both having catch I was able to chump archeoavis really easy with aegir and a ronkan knight (and dunked byblos into the own zone with page 32). Besides sing the only notable thing galuf had was Time 5 which gave me a source of haste for the end of w2 and a way to float over poor catastrophe. Also MK with Image & Sing is nice.

Faris: Faris was on flee duty for a lot of the game thanks to Dancer with flee. She also had Samurai with guard, Red mage with dualcast, and mystic knight with flirt. Notable abilities: Sprint, Dance, and Spellblade 6. I got to use her as a CK Dancer in W3 on some bosses until NED. Sure would have been nice to have something to pair with Dualcast but all she had was White 4. Dualcasting shell is okay but not worth giving up spellblade or Dance with a rainbow dress.

All in all pretty fun though I'm disappointed I had to re-randomize after trying to randomize the fiesta mod rom. I lost out on mix. Sing's a good consolation prize though. 9999, 9999, 9999, and 9324 damage syldra is hilarious.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jul 11, 2019

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

So I finally took down Omega, next stop is Shinryu. I have no Berserk access. Looking at the script, it seems like I might be able to use the Bone Mails I pilfered for fighting Omega? Ice Shield + Bone Mail + Coral Ring + Image seems like enough to nullify just about everything Shinryu can throw at me without needing to worry about permanent Bone Mail death. As far as what level I need, I have no idea except that I obviously need to be a prime number. I've almost unlocked Samurai's ultimate move, so grinding shouldn't be an issue.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

With my thief/summoner/ninja/samurai layout, about the only worthwhile thing to toss to summoner would be agi from thief right? Most of the other things are either granted from the classes passively or are about making guys hit harder from what I can tell.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

ZypherIM posted:

With my thief/summoner/ninja/samurai layout, about the only worthwhile thing to toss to summoner would be agi from thief right? Most of the other things are either granted from the classes passively or are about making guys hit harder from what I can tell.

Theres the passive from samurai which is basically the elf cape / physical dodge chance, which aint the worst. Though thief agi is pretty good and summoner is pretty slow.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

ZypherIM posted:

!Throw is really good for summoners, and !Summon is really good for ninjas. Either way thrown scrolls are designed to deal okay damage with the ninja's default magic of 14, and will consequently do a lot more damage if you have a summoner's magic of 55.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

ZypherIM posted:

!Image for stuff like Vacuum Wave or berserked Shinryu.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Huzzah! posted:

Theres the passive from samurai which is basically the elf cape / physical dodge chance, which aint the worst. Though thief agi is pretty good and summoner is pretty slow.

NGDBSS posted:

!Throw is really good for summoners, and !Summon is really good for ninjas. Either way thrown scrolls are designed to deal okay damage with the ninja's default magic of 14, and will consequently do a lot more damage if you have a summoner's magic of 55.

Yea after I had posted I noticed the samurai dodge thing, which is a lot faster to get if I don't want to grind as much. Also stacking up elf capes and evades on multiple guys might be decent for plowing through stuff that is mostly physical threats.

I hadn't considered putting throw onto the summoner since summons have been doing pretty good work already. Just started farming double lances , and with a pair of them the ninja hits pretty hard. Granted it isn't against all enemies so giving him !summon for big throws wouldn't be terrible even then.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

ZypherIM posted:

Yea after I had posted I noticed the samurai dodge thing, which is a lot faster to get if I don't want to grind as much. Also stacking up elf capes and evades on multiple guys might be decent for plowing through stuff that is mostly physical threats.

I hadn't considered putting throw onto the summoner since summons have been doing pretty good work already. Just started farming double lances , and with a pair of them the ninja hits pretty hard. Granted it isn't against all enemies so giving him !summon for big throws wouldn't be terrible even then.

Summon throw will carry you through the lean times when the only summon worth using is Titan.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I said I'd do it so I did.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Hackan Slash posted:

Summon throw will carry you through the lean times when the only summon worth using is Titan.

Yeah, it's worth noting that Scrolls are 120-power summon-esque attacks (they don't suffer a multi-targeting penalty, they're Magic-based, etc) and they get rod boosts. Flame/Thunder Scrolls boosted by the right elemental rod (180 power) will straight up out-DPS Gaia Gear-boosted Titan (165 power).

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, it's worth noting that Scrolls are 120-power summon-esque attacks (they don't suffer a multi-targeting penalty, they're Magic-based, etc) and they get rod boosts. Flame/Thunder Scrolls boosted by the right elemental rod (180 power) will straight up out-DPS Gaia Gear-boosted Titan (165 power).

Huh, I hadn't considered them getting the rod bonus. That is.. pretty good yeah.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

MagusDraco posted:

My Randomizer :toxx:
Counted, especially liked reading about the early game stuff you're not supposed to be able to do!

Edit: That's also a good point, I should emphasize in the post that you should use the right ROM. Happened to me once too!

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 11, 2019

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Doom Goon posted:

Counted, especially liked reading about the early game stuff you're not supposed to be able to do!

Edit: That's also a good point, I should emphasize in the post that you should use the right ROM. Happened to me once too!

Oh yeah, Iainuki was used on a ton of bosses since Lenna had it. Magissa, (if she had summoned Forza he would have survived because Forza is heavy), Garula, Deathclaw and the rest of the karnak 500, liquid flame human (tornado was also vulnerable), Byblos would have been hit by it if I hadn't used page 32 to x-zone him instead, Adamantoise, Purobolos, and manticore/chimera brain, dragon pod, and the seal guardian crystals in moore forest. After them I didn't really use iainuki for much else. Twintania was killed by break blade, wizard bones by odin from the lamp.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Speaking of wacky shenanigans, I finally got around to checking out that FFV glitch YouTube channel that was posted here for fun. Am I right in assuming this is some sort of super-broken menuing+Hide item glitch for the SFC? And then you can even use it with Mix?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

Ice Shield + Bone Mail + Coral Ring + Image seems like enough to nullify just about everything Shinryu can throw at me without needing to worry about permanent Bone Mail death.

The problem with that setup is Lightning, which, with Coral Rings, will do 50% of your max HP (25% with a Diamond Helm), and healing is limited with the Bone Mail. You could use Drain Sword, but then you'd have to give up !Image, which is a no-go.

Maybe give up the Bone Mail in favour of Elixir-healing? It only helps against Roulette (single-target) and Poison Breath (not that damaging) anyway. Alternatively, Coral Rings, Mirage Vests, and !Throw on everybody. With a lucky pattern, Fuma Shurikens should be able to kill him before he kills you.

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

:toxx: time.

I decided last year that I wanted to try out all of the regular jobs in a single summer, and so I did it over the course of five runs. It was a blast, and now I want to encourage you to do the same thing. For everyone who uses all twenty regular jobs (i.e., those you have access to before world 3), I'll donate $20 and match your job fair expenses up to the total price of one of each job. Any kind of run is fine except for #fifthjob or some other mode that has you using more than four jobs in a single playthrough.

If you're going to do this, I suggest that you plan ahead a bit. This is going to take at least five runs, and you don't want the last one to be something like Monk/Berserker/Geomancer/Dragoon.

Edit: Since it's come up a couple times, I want to add that there's no requirement to do this in only five runs. I just did that because I didn't want to play more than I did.

There are no bad jobs, but there are some teams that don't really come together.

5 NEDs, 20 jobs, $21
First was Normal Risk, second was Popular and third through fifth were Normal again (I figured that'd be the most likely to hit all jobs - 8 swaps isn't too many?)

https://twitter.com/Complete_Cynic/status/1148349321747808257
https://twitter.com/Complete_Cynic/status/1148066967888289792
https://twitter.com/Complete_Cynic/status/1147785305036066816
https://twitter.com/Complete_Cynic/status/1145470166773436416
https://twitter.com/Complete_Cynic/status/1145466038810763264

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Blue/Zerk/Geo/Dragoon

The fight started with me killing wizard bones with the lamp. My berserker chipped away at flexdeath while I had everyone else chip away at the other two parts.

The berserker killed flex all on their own, and now I was eyeballing the damage dealt to see how I could kill al majisti and grand coif at roughly the same time. After all, I want as little meteor spam as possible.

Grand cross berserked my Dragoon, and he was forced to put the final lance into al majisti. Fighting grand coif on its own, meteors killed everyone but the dragoon. I just felt like I had to be close to the end, so I waited to see what would happen.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 11, 2019

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

The problem with that setup is Lightning, which, with Coral Rings, will do 50% of your max HP (25% with a Diamond Helm), and healing is limited with the Bone Mail. You could use Drain Sword, but then you'd have to give up !Image, which is a no-go.

Maybe give up the Bone Mail in favour of Elixir-healing? It only helps against Roulette (single-target) and Poison Breath (not that damaging) anyway. Alternatively, Coral Rings, Mirage Vests, and !Throw on everybody. With a lucky pattern, Fuma Shurikens should be able to kill him before he kills you.

Yup, ended up coming to the same conclusion you did. Only problem now is, I'm at level 43, do not want to grind to 47...which leaves the rng. I very stupidly sold the main gauche at some point, and accidentally skipped mirage vest because I didn't realize entering the void made you lose access to it. Yes, I know I could hunt down more and steal them but...is that really worth the effort? For one fight? When Samurais already have like fifty percent dodge to start with? Even at its worst Shinryu's pattern isn't as bad as Omega's.

Speaking of which I have no idea how I could have handled Omega with Ninjas. The lack of haste or any kind of defense makes it look like I had to hope on getting four lucky punches as fast as possible. The odds on that being uh...3/5112 I think. Before taking accuracy and counters into effect, of course. Makes trying to stop Omega with the Stop spell look halfway sensible.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 11, 2019

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

Yup, ended up coming to the same conclusion you did. Only problem now is, I'm at level 43, do not want to grind to 47...which leaves the rng. I very stupidly sold the main gauche at some point, and accidentally skipped mirage vest because I didn't realize entering the void made you lose access to it. Yes, I know I could hunt down more and steal them but...is that really worth the effort? For one fight? When Samurais already have like fifty percent dodge to start with? Even at its worst Shinryu's pattern isn't as bad as Omega's.

Speaking of which I have no idea how I could have handled Omega with Ninjas. The lack of haste or any kind of defense makes it look like I had to hope on getting four lucky punches as fast as possible. The odds on that being uh...3/5112 I think. Before taking accuracy and counters into effect, of course. Makes trying to stop Omega with the Stop spell look halfway sensible.

Why couldn't you use haste?

I beat him with Ninja Samurai Samurai Samurai, although I did grind to 85

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Noted. I'll make the donation tonight.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

derra posted:

Why couldn't you use haste?

I beat him with Ninja Samurai Samurai Samurai, although I did grind to 85

I'm on Upgrade, so I only just got access to Haste. And it's still weird to think I'm only going to use it for this one fight. Legit can't think of anything to give anyone that's better than running shoes outside of the tidal wave problem.

How did you grind that high by the way? I hated just doing the five, and those were lower levels. I knew it was only going to get worse after that.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
A lot of teams can eventually murder iron Giants without taking hits.

And if you're on an emulator you can set up to automatically grind in pyramid/istory/fire ship

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Nasgate posted:

And if you're on an emulator you can set up to automatically grind in pyramid

Although if I'm actually there and present and with a decent party I'll do the desert in the first screen of the Rift and stop and heal occasionally

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

derra posted:

Although if I'm actually there and present and with a decent party I'll do the desert in the first screen of the Rift and stop and heal occasionally
Is that superior to doing the desert outside Phoenix Tower? That's basically a bunch of mooks that die in one hit, plus the occasional Landcrawler, so it's easier to not use your brain on.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I feel like they have the same encounter tables actually.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
The rift has places where you get pushed backwards so you can automate it

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Alxprit posted:

I feel like they have the same encounter tables actually.

Almost. Idk all the differences, but the sandcrawler thing in the void is susceptible to instant death, whereas the one near Phoenix is not.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Nasgate posted:

Almost. Idk all the differences, but the sandcrawler thing in the void is susceptible to instant death, whereas the one near Phoenix is not.

They're the same encounter unless that's been changed since the snes version.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ultrafilter posted:

:toxx: time.

I decided last year that I wanted to try out all of the regular jobs in a single summer, and so I did it over the course of five runs. It was a blast, and now I want to encourage you to do the same thing. For everyone who uses all twenty regular jobs (i.e., those you have access to before world 3), I'll donate $20 and match your job fair expenses up to the total price of one of each job. Any kind of run is fine except for #fifthjob or some other mode that has you using more than four jobs in a single playthrough.

If you're going to do this, I suggest that you plan ahead a bit. This is going to take at least five runs, and you don't want the last one to be something like Monk/Berserker/Geomancer/Dragoon.

Edit: Since it's come up a couple times, I want to add that there's no requirement to do this in only five runs. I just did that because I didn't want to play more than I did.

There are no bad jobs, but there are some teams that don't really come together.

Is this toxx still open because

soon

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Complete_Cynic posted:

5 NEDs, 20 jobs, $21
First was Normal Risk, second was Popular and third through fifth were Normal again (I figured that'd be the most likely to hit all jobs - 8 swaps isn't too many?)

Azza Bamboo posted:

Is this toxx still open because

soon

It's good through the end of the Fiesta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Neat.

In unrelated news here's a poorly edited video of the clutch NED ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtAhlvxrohc