Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Back by popular-ish demand! :eng101:

Source.

General Rules

Send a complete list of your 10 favorite & 10 least favorite active MLB players to sasheartsbaseball@gmail.com. Number your lists like so (edit: also include your usernames somewhere in the email):

These lists can include IL mainstays or VERY recently-demoted/-released players (they have to have made at least one appearance in a 2019 game). These lists can NOT include baseball non-players, or free agents who have not played in 2019. The previous lists didn't allow the dearly departed, but I'll make an exception for Tyler Skaggs because his death was so recent. I will email you back if you have any invalid list items, and I won't accept your list/s until all its/their items are valid. Keep in mind that you only get one do-over.

These are YOUR favorites & unfavorites, not necessarily the best/worst players. Yes, it is more fun when you justify your picks to me, but you should know that you can have favorites/un-favorites for any reason you like. You can love players for being good at baseball, having cute dogs, being sexy, etc. You can hate players for hitting their wives, having stupid hair, striking out all the time, etc. Don't overthink it.

Use this thread to campaign for your most/least faves. GIFs, videos, pics, general facts -- :justpost: It's more fun that way, and keeps the thread on everyone's radar.

Also, not everyone likes to be a Negative Nancy, so I am willing to accept ballots without unfavorites.

How Voting Works
Your #1 player will receive 10 points, your #2 player will receive 9, your #3 will receive 8, and so on. If you send me an incomplete list, it hurts your top picks -- so if you send me a list of 5 players, the top one receives 5, the next receives 4, etc.

You get one -- ONE -- do-over. This means that if you hosed up your list somehow, you can email me a new one. ONE new one.

Deadline: July 31, 11:59pm. I'm extending the deadline this year because I'm hoping that it'll give more people time to participate, and more ballots = better than. DO NOT post your ballots in the thread until voting is over!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
this might sound insane but I haven't been as up on the pulse of baseball since, oh, August 21 or so. So please sell me on goodies and baddies tia

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There is no such thing as a right answer, but if Vlad Jr isn't on your "like" list, get the gently caress out.

naginalJJ
Feb 10, 2007

Baby, looks like a dance epidemic to me
I'm seeing things I thought I'd never see
Dance epidemic tonight

zapplez posted:

There is no such thing as a right answer, but if Vlad Jr isn't on your "like" list, get the gently caress out.

This but Gallo

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

zapplez posted:

This but Pete Alonso

Poque posted:

this might sound insane but I haven't been as up on the pulse of baseball since, oh, August 21 or so. So please sell me on goodies and baddies tia

But that's everyone else's job! I'm the one that made the thread!

Also, the OP is always like my little half-campaign anyway.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Pete Alonso is a known evangelical chud who gave some of his HRD winnings to known scam Wounded Warrior, he does not deserve your vote

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Are you still salty about the home run Derby? Lmao

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

helloooooooo

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Pete Alonso is a known evangelical chud who gave some of his HRD winnings to known scam Wounded Warrior, he does not deserve your vote

:catstare: Proof?

Miz Kriss posted:

helloooooooo

Hello.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

he gave (or said he was going to give) 5% to Wounded Warrior and 5% to Tunnel to Towers, I certainly haven't seen anything about him being an evangelical chud though so I think that's just Hotlanta being salty af

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Julio Cruz posted:

he gave (or said he was going to give) 5% to Wounded Warrior and 5% to Tunnel to Towers, I certainly haven't seen anything about him being an evangelical chud though so I think that's just Hotlanta being salty af

He constantly brought up Jesus during his mic'd up portion of the ASG and, well, have you ever met a white evangelical who isnt a chud?

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

He constantly brought up Jesus during his mic'd up portion of the ASG and, well, have you ever met a white evangelical who isnt a chud?

Most players do praise Jesus and God a lot, though.

Only things I can see that make him lean a bit that way is that he seems like he likes to hunt and is from Florida.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

can't say I find it particularly surprising that you've never met a Christian who wasn't white

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Julio Cruz posted:

can't say I find it particularly surprising that you've never met a Christian who wasn't white

Thats not what i said at all but okay

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Julio Cruz posted:

he gave (or said he was going to give) 5% to Wounded Warrior and 5% to Tunnel to Towers,

Oh totally, I wanted some proof that they were scams.

quote:

I certainly haven't seen anything about him being an evangelical chud though so I think that's just Hotlanta being salty af

I didn't notice the username at first, lol.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

No, but I've never met a white baseball player, and baseball players tend to be extremely religious in general.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Poque posted:

Tommy La Stella went from being the player you probably remember into Mike Trout lite this season, jacking home runs left and right and smashing his career total by the end of May or something. He even had a leadoff inside the parker along the way.

He narrowly missed being chosen as an All-star starter but luckily his peers appreciated the season he has been having and voted him in as a reserve.

Then he broke his leg last week by fouling a ball off of it.

You should like Tommy La Stella.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Thats not what i said at all but okay

I mean you equated "talks about Jesus" with "evangelical" with "chud" which pretty clearly shows you've never talked to a Latinx or black Christian who may be in the first category but very definitely would not be in the third.

anyway I'm going to stop messing up YTM's thread by responding to someone I've already got on ignore now

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

Yes but also let's Cubspost so hard that Javy wins favorite and Russell wins least favorite

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

All of my 25 least favorite players is the entirety of the Cub's 25 man roster :smug:

This is a joke, for what it's worth, Javy and Almora are cool

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Vote for Acuña please

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Jeez, as a Royals fan, there just aren't that many cool Royals left. Mondi I guess. I liked Whit a lot more before seeing his dumbass tweets.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Whit Merrifield seems cool

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Does Billy Hamilton's speed make him cool?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

imagine being this mad about a guy donating to some disabled veteran's charity. hol -lee- gently caress

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Whit Merrifield seems cool

Yeah, he was cooler before he was one of the post-Hader guys with a bunch of homophobic and ableist tweets. I know that is a substantial portion of the league, but still.

Edit: he might still make the bottom of my like list, but without that he would defo be number 1

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Welcome friends! This is Pancakes' Lobbying Post, Part One: Lucas Giolito

I realize the Cardinals are a hard sell for people here. With that in mind I'm going to start you off nice and easy with a player who has zero ties to the Cardinals. I offer you the best pitcher this year in Chicago for your consideration.

Lucas was the actual worst pitcher in baseball last year. In his first full season the once-heralded prospect led all qualified starters in ERA, the entire AL in walks and all of MLB in earned runs. He had an unsightly 6.13 ERA in 173.1 innings pitched. Lucas's best contribution to the White Sox last year, apart from eating innings, was this rain delay video of him trying to remember how to play French Horn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjwFvhvXV8E

In the offseason Lucas completely reworked his mechanics and has become a force to be reckoned with. At the All Star Break he sits at 11-3 with a 3.15 ERA, a WHIP of 1.070 and sits at 3.3 bWAR on the season to date. His starts have finally given Chicago's AL team a legitimate ace for the first time since they traded away known member of Team Drake, Chris Sale.

"So what?" you might say. "Other pitchers have been better than Giolito this year." If a good redemption arc isn't enough for you, I present to you Lucas Giolito's sparkling personality. Remember last year when a whole bunch of players had offensive Tweets show up from their timelines? Well, prepare for a breath of fresh air.

https://twitter.com/chisoxfanmike/status/1019703747268743169?lang=en

A quick stroll through his timeline shows that the 6'6" righty loves to bake, particularly with his teammates. Lucas is also an admitted nerd.

He loves video games and played a lot of D&D when he was growing up. He and his wife are active in helping with rescue animals, as she's training to be a vet. Interesting trivia: He comes from a Hollywood family. His maternal grandfather, Warren Frost is best known for his roles on Seinfeld and Twin Peaks which Lucas's uncle, Mark Frost, co-created. Lucas's mother is an actress as well and his father acted a small amount before turning to producing and (according to Lucas, anyway) working in the video game industry.

Lucas is also notable for being an MLB player who is vocally not a CHUD. He's using his new prominence to speak out in favor of immigrant rights. He also spends a lot of time with teammate Tim Anderson discussing their upbringings, not taking the comfortable upbringing he had for granted. Lucas's dad is also notably liberal on Twitter, frequently re-Tweeting C-SPAM favorite AOC.

In conclusion, Lucas Giolito is pretty much what most of us would be like if we were tall as hell and an elite MLB pitcher. If you're looking for someone to root for this year in the barren wasteland that is the AL Central, Lucas would probably appreciate your support.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
That is a lot of words about a player I know almost nothing about. Good candidate for a favorite though.

I don't know how much I should prop this thread up myself. I don't want to be a weirdo & spend all my time in here, but I also probably shouldn't rely on other people to keep the thread popular...hmm.

Well, anyway, I'll go ahead & campaign for the criminally underrated Charlie Morton. He is handsome and perfect, he was responsible for the final out of the 2017 World Series, and his curveball gives me feelings that I probably shouldn't have. During one game, my heart literally started beating faster when he struck someone out with it. :allears:

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1139980068611080194

He's good at other pitches too though.

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1146229763205410817

Despite the fact that my first favorite team was the Yankees and I consider myself a New York fan who leans toward the Mets, he double-handedly (with Blake Snell) got me to betray my roots. This is the most use my PS4's MLBtv app has gotten since the José Fernández days.

Also, he has a 2.33 ERA. I don't really know what else to say though.

edit: actually if you prefer good hitting to good pitching, might I suggest Jeff McNeil? I can't find any good GIFs, but he & Pete Alonso were funny in this video.

https://twitter.com/SNYtv/status/1140679670708523008

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 11, 2019

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Probably not going to do a big effortpost to sway anyone, but Sean Doolittle rules because he is left wing and loud about it in a sport filled with chuds. Also his Twitter is good.

I'm having trouble filling my love list this year so more convincing posts are welcomed and thanks for those so far :)

The Berzerker fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 12, 2019

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I was seriously going to apologize for killing the thread with my own participation if I didn't see another thread by the time I got to work, so thank you for breaking the silence.

Also, your URL is broken.

Also also, I wanted to remind people that Our Lord & Savior Jacob Anthony deGrom stuck out the side in seven pitches during the All-Star Game, but I can't find a cool video to add to my post. :smith:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Is Joaquin Benoit still in the league? If so he's number one, Rougned Odor number two, and one else really merits mention.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
I was planning on doing some more lobbying posts for favorites this weekend, then maybe a hate post or two.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I think two other candidates for lovable players are Tim Anderson and Marcus Stroman, if only because I'm a big fan of young athletes who buck against the idea that baseball players are supposed to be stoic and not show emotion and stuff. The game needs more people like them.

Hate list is easy. Rougned Odor is an idiot. Roberto Osuna and Aroldis Chapman and Addison Russell are abusers (and there are others for that list). Trevor Bauer is a dumb chud. Ryan Braun is a piece of poo poo. Josh Hader is a piece of poo poo. I don't have much trouble filling that list but I like when people lobby either way.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

The Berzerker posted:

I think two other candidates for lovable players are Tim Anderson and Marcus Stroman, if only because I'm a big fan of young athletes who buck against the idea that baseball players are supposed to be stoic and not show emotion and stuff. The game needs more people like them.

Hate list is easy. Rougned Odor is an idiot. Roberto Osuna and Aroldis Chapman and Addison Russell are abusers (and there are others for that list). Trevor Bauer is a dumb chud. Ryan Braun is a piece of poo poo. Josh Hader is a piece of poo poo. I don't have much trouble filling that list but I like when people lobby either way.

Tim just missed my lovable list, mostly due to nostalgia for certain other players. He’s a solid pick though.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Pancakes posted:

I was planning on doing some more lobbying posts for favorites this weekend, then maybe a hate post or two.

I want to do lobbying posts, but I also want to save my descriptive powers for my actual posts, lol. If I say all the good things about a player that's already popular, then I'm going to have to think of a whole new way to describe them positive when they inevitably make the cut.

The Berzerker posted:

Josh Hader is a piece of poo poo.

In no way am I lobbying for him, but he made those tweets when he was a teenager and he publicly apologized for them, so I'm not going to hold them against him forever. Unless you're talking about something else he did recently, in which case, gently caress him.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Hader sucks but the Milwaukee fans who gave him a standing ovation afterward are far worse.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I'm waiting until closer to the deadline to submit mine because there's always someone on each list that I forget about

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Apologizing was really the least he could do. He deserves the least of praise for doing what he should have done. The fans are being silly.

That said, if someone found my tweets from 2013 and put them on display, the chances that I would remember having made them are EXTREMELY low. I wholeheartedly believe that he was shocked at himself.

edit: I just want to add that Chris Archer threw at Derek Dietrich for admiring an HR, and Yasiel Puig tried to murder him, so there's that. A mini-anti-lobby for the people.

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 12, 2019

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Okay everyone, let's kick it up a notch. I know, I know, in this house we hate the Cardinals. Consider, however, Albert Pujols

Albert hasn't been a Cardinal for going on 8 years now, but when we think about why he's going into the Hall of Fame, it's the Cardinals years that are the main driving force.

Simply put, Albert Pujols had one of the greatest first 11 years of a career in the history of the game. The man was a terror. He's second all-time in intentional walks to Barry Bonds and that's with bats the likes of Scott Rolen, Jim Edmonds and Matt Holliday lurking in the same lineup. He's third all-time in MVP voting shares and was honestly robbed of at least 2 MVP awards by the voters in 2006 and 2007. For some counting stats fun, let's see how he ranks all-time in home runs, total bases, hits and RBI's.

I know that's a lot of screenshots to throw out all at once, but just look at them. Look at the names he's surrounded by on these lists. Albert is one of the all-time greatest hitters in baseball. He's running down (well, hobbling down at this point) Cap Anson for RBI's, he may pass Cal Ripken for hits this year, he's going to pass Babe Ruth in career total bases this year and he's got an outside chance of passing Willie Mays in career home runs before the year is out.

Albert is more than one of the greatest bats ever. He's more than the 100+ career bWAR he's amassed. He's more than the living legend who helped mentor a young teammate in LA named Mike Trout. Albert is a past recipient of the Roberto Clemente Award and puts a ton of effort into outreach, especially among children with Down Syndrome. He's been active with charity for ages now but people were reminded of his fan outreach and character recently this year with this moment:

https://twitter.com/JoeBone546/status/1141540352559603713

So we have an all-time great who focuses on charitable work in his personal life and goes out of his way to engage with fans, particularly those with Down Syndrome. If only he had a sense of theater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMyCb3oKbIg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4ptxMSM8Pc

:siren:Trigger warning for Astros fans:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsEuTYbDRwE

If you have some space on your favorites list I'd humbly suggest that Albert Pujols, Great Baseball Player and Great Guy, is worth a vote.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Albert Pujols is worth MANY votes, even though he's probably not going to make it onto my list. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Day 5

Ballot count: 4

Looking back to my old thread for inspiration & structure! Also, VOTE GOD drat IT. Last year, there weren't even 25 most hated baseball players. Let the hate flow through you, fellow SASers. :devil:

Okay, I'm feeling thousands of times more alive than I did this weekend (if you can't tell), so now I will campaign for my underrated faves. Also, before I start, I want to add that the hardest part of campaigning -- aside from the possibility that I will use up all my descriptive powers on someone who makes the cut, as I have addressed before -- is the possibility that I will accidentally use up all the good pictures/GIFs/vids of them on the internet too.

I'll start with the guy who I was most shocked about not receiving any votes.

Aaron Nola

https://twitter.com/phillypheels/status/1150243454787706880
*crosses out "my mom"
*types in "SAS"

Somehow everyone managed to overlook him last year, and I have no loving clue why. He's an excellent pitcher, and it personally offends me that there are no GIFs of him pitching from this season. He has a 3.64 ERA, which isn't spectacular necessarily, but it's not like he hasn't had his moments and it's not like he doesn't consistently own the poo poo out of the Mets (damning with faint praise but whatever). Once again, I must rely on @PitchingNinja to bolster my point.

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/1150188122149441537

There's also Derek Dietrich.

He might not be consistent but gently caress it, he still rules. I thought the mustache thing was funny at least. Also, he bat-drops, which is the only thing better than bat-flipping.

https://twitter.com/BaseballQuotes1/status/1133447624521060352

Also, there was that time in 2016 that he walked it off & ripped his jersey off, which is literally the last positive memory I have of the Marlins' 2016 season.

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 15, 2019