Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
If the swastika image was displayed, does that mean my computer is a nazi?

Edit:

pseudorandom fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

might just mean it's celebrating Diwali, the Indian festival of lights

you can check the process name by pressing control-alt-dalit

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

pseudorandom posted:

If the swastika image was displayed, does that mean my computer is a nazi?

𓂺

now your computer likes dicks

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

security fucc up: nazi punks gently caress off

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

flakeloaf posted:

might just mean it's celebrating Diwali, the Indian festival of lights

you can check the process name by pressing control-alt-dalit

:yosnice:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

it's been a good week for gdpr fines

monday

Intention to fine British Airways £183.39m under GDPR for data breach posted:

Following an extensive investigation the ICO has issued a notice of its intention to fine British Airways £183.39M for infringements of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).

The proposed fine relates to a cyber incident notified to the ICO by British Airways in September 2018. This incident in part involved user traffic to the British Airways website being diverted to a fraudulent site. Through this false site, customer details were harvested by the attackers. Personal data of approximately 500,000 customers were compromised in this incident, which is believed to have begun in June 2018.

The ICO’s investigation has found that a variety of information was compromised by poor security arrangements at the company, including log in, payment card, and travel booking details as well name and address information.
tuesday

Statement: Intention to fine Marriott International, Inc more than £99 million under GDPR for data breach posted:

Statement in response to Marriott International, Inc’s filing with the US Securities and Exchange Commission that the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) intends to fine it for breaches of data protection law.
Following an extensive investigation the ICO has issued a notice of its intention to fine Marriott International £99,200,396 for infringements of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).

The proposed fine relates to a cyber incident which was notified to the ICO by Marriott in November 2018. A variety of personal data contained in approximately 339 million guest records globally were exposed by the incident, of which around 30 million related to residents of 31 countries in the European Economic Area (EEA). Seven million related to UK residents.

It is believed the vulnerability began when the systems of the Starwood hotels group were compromised in 2014. Marriott subsequently acquired Starwood in 2016, but the exposure of customer information was not discovered until 2018. The ICO’s investigation found that Marriott failed to undertake sufficient due diligence when it bought Starwood and should also have done more to secure its systems.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

it's been a good week for gdpr fines

monday

british airways

bbut i thought gdpr was a protectionist stick designed to beat US companies with who europeans cant compete with on a level playing field?? i dont understand

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
british airways still flies boeings, so clearly this fine is being used to punish them for not exclusively buying airbus, or something. idk i'm doing my best here

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Soricidus posted:

british airways still flies boeings, so clearly this fine is being used to punish them for not exclusively buying airbus, or something. idk i'm doing my best here

youre no shaggar

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Rufus Ping posted:

bbut i thought gdpr was a protectionist stick designed to beat US companies with who europeans cant compete with on a level playing field?? i dont understand

brexit's going to happen eventually so ba's already a non-eu company?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Plorkyeran posted:

brexit's going to happen eventually so ba's already a non-eu company?

wholly owned subsidiary of IAG, who are Spanish

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cerv posted:

they were wholly owned, all right.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Cerv posted:

lol and Jaguar and Land Rover are owned by the Indians.

UK got nothing except for some old dude in a garage building kit cars from used Ford CVH four cylinder motors

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Rufus Ping posted:

*kshhskshth* paging Shaggar to the thread, paging Shaggar to the thread

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Marriott is American. BA fines are probably a Brexit thing

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

keep up, they're Spanish airways now

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

CoasterMaster posted:

https://medium.com/@jonathan.leitschuh/zoom-zero-day-4-million-webcams-maybe-an-rce-just-get-them-to-visit-your-website-ac75c83f4ef5

Zoom Zero Day: 4+ Million Webcams & maybe an RCE? Just get them to visit your website!

tl;dr the zoom application on MacOS has a webserver running listening on localhost. A malicious site can join you in to a meeting (potentially enabling your webcam)
this poo poo is so loving unbelievably arrogant and irresponsible. tim should call the zoom ceo in and give him the travis kalanick treatment of “hey quick reminder, we could delete your business tomorrow if we wanted to lol”

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

this poo poo is so loving unbelievably arrogant and irresponsible. tim should call the zoom ceo in and give him the travis kalanick treatment of “hey quick reminder, we could delete your business tomorrow if we wanted to lol”

Apple just pushed a silent update that removes the Zoom http server and also no longer allows the client to auto-launch from the browser (you have to answer a dialog to let it open)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i know i love it lol. some days its hard to get terribly mad at apple about keyboards

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I'm not sure Zoom is as reliant on the Mac market as Uber is on the iPhone market

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
zoom sucks but I think their market share is big enough and apple's pc market share small enough that nobody will care what tim apple thinks.

pretty much every meeting client that isn't go to meeting or citrix is a re-branded zoom client.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Shaggar posted:

zoom sucks but I think their market share is big enough and apple's pc market share small enough that nobody will care what tim apple thinks.

pretty much every meeting client that isn't go to meeting or citrix is a re-branded zoom client.

poo poo, is there any easy way to tell if website X is actually a Zoom thing? I've been assuming that the meeting website my employer is using is just a simple WebRTC thing.

Actually, now I feel like I answered my question; if it's only using the browser with no additional software, then it can't be Zoom, right? (I have no idea what Zoom is).

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

pseudorandom posted:

poo poo, is there any easy way to tell if website X is actually a Zoom thing? I've been assuming that the meeting website my employer is using is just a simple WebRTC thing.

Actually, now I feel like I answered my question; if it's only using the browser with no additional software, then it can't be Zoom, right? (I have no idea what Zoom is).

zoom needs additional software, similarly to webex. your guy is probably on bluejeans or something small or custom

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

cinci zoo sniper posted:

zoom needs additional software, similarly to webex. your guy is probably on bluejeans or something small or custom

Good to know, we're most likely not using Zoom then. We're using an easy website where you just open the meeting URL and then you appear in the meeting. :nsa:

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

cinci zoo sniper posted:

oddly enough, it doesn't need additional software too. the client is super pushed for because of the "nativeness" , but there's a web zoom client. the software however is also great for low bandwidth connections.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

same with webex these days, though you can't host a screenshare through the WebRTC client

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

You Am I posted:

lol and Jaguar and Land Rover are owned by the Indians.

UK got nothing except for some old dude in a garage building kit cars from used Ford CVH four cylinder motors

Nah TVR disappeared years ago an account of "shoddily hammered together in a shed" and "only runs for 5 minutes before overheating or having its gearbox implode" no longer being up to spec for a sports car

Shaggar posted:

Marriott is American. BA fines are probably a Brexit thing

No the information Commissioner is a UK org, they just got new powers to fine companies based on turnover after the Facebook fine for stealing everyone's data and an election and a referendum was capped at £500k so they're showing off.

I really hope Facebook fucks up again and gets slammed with a fine in the billions.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

crazysim posted:

oddly enough, it doesn't need additional software too. the client is super pushed for because of the "nativeness" , but there's a web zoom client. the software however is also great for low bandwidth connections.

Kazinsal posted:

same with webex these days, though you can't host a screenshare through the WebRTC client

i see. we are just rolling in our own poo poo at this place so it’s been a while since ive touched a proper internet telephony

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Kazinsal posted:

Sure you can.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
safari 12 technical preview can do webrtc. 13 should be able to do screencast as well, though only fullscreens capture, so the need for a standalone client on mac is lessening.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pseudorandom posted:

zoom may have a webrtc client. in fact, given its horrible, horrible performance, the zoom desktop client may be a webrtc client in a chome wrapper.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Nah TVR disappeared years ago an account of "shoddily hammered together in a shed" and "only runs for 5 minutes before overheating or having its gearbox implode" no longer being up to spec for a sports car

No the information Commissioner is a UK org, they just got new powers to fine companies based on turnover after the Facebook fine for stealing everyone's data and an election and a referendum was capped at £500k so they're showing off.

I really hope Facebook fucks up again and gets slammed with a fine in the billions.

in the article it says the BA fines came at the request of other EU members.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Shaggar posted:

zoom may have a webrtc client. in fact, given its horrible, horrible performance, the zoom desktop client may be a webrtc client in a chome wrapper.

it's not. it doesn't even produce standard rtp. also they do tricks to get around needing dns to resolve stun servers, among other things.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Shaggar posted:

in the article it says the BA fines came at the request of other EU members.

thats not what it said and not how it works

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

quote:

Forget having to remember passwords ever again

Wouldn’t it be great to have just one password for everything?

We think it’d be pretty great. That’s why we’re launching NordPass this fall — a secure tool to let you safely manage all your locks with a single key. Read all about it on our blog.

What NordPass does for you
Syncs passwords across all devices.

Remembers passwords for sites you visit.

Creates new secure passwords on the fly.

Uses zero-knowledge encryption by default.

just gonna leave this here, i suspect i may need it later

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

but does it sync passwords across all devices tho

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

heh i didnt notice that, i'd just copied the text out of the email

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
dat seo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
we're looking at the azure-ad passwordless stuff, since we're pushing for azure based mfa for some clients anyway, but it looks like it doesn't support hybrid deployments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

flakeloaf posted:

just gonna leave this here, i suspect i may need it later

I'm 100% "zero-knowledge encryption"