Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I took a chance last week and ordered some Monsooned Malabar, something a little unusual and I'd never had it. I love the flavour but its crema seems incredibly week. I make coffee in a cezve and I like a bit of crema, but getting it to stand with the malabar seems impossible. I'm guessing this is just a quirk of its usually high PH, but if not, does anyone have any suggestions?

I use that in my espresso blends - up to about 1/10; I feel like it enhances the crema there. How does it taste as a single origin brew?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

porktree posted:

I use that in my espresso blends - up to about 1/10; I feel like it enhances the crema there. How does it taste as a single origin brew?

It's pretty alright, but not my favourite. I wanted a change from the yirgacheffe I've been drinking for a while now, so I took a flier on it.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I’m basically two shots a day, and it still all feels nice and tight, and I do try to keep everything clean and well maintained with good water to reduce scale as much as humanly possible. That red gasket looks like a great open for when the time comes, thanks!

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Sweet Bloom Gesha Village Lot 86

:allears:

My first Gesha and woooowzah. It's like the most floral Ethiopian I've had x2. So good.

https://www.geshavillage.com/ - I mean there's even a crazy website about the beans.

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 6, 2019

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Munkaboo posted:

Sweet Bloom Gesha Village Lot 86

:allears:

My first Gesha and woooowzah. It's like the most floral Ethiopian I've had x2. So good.

https://www.geshavillage.com/ - I mean there's even a crazy website about the beans.

are you in denver too? i was just eyeing that the other day, but i didn't really need any more beans yet

i've had other geshas, but it's been a while

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Nah I just order from them often

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Are all the small roasters moving to 12oz bags?

My local place (Bodhi Leaf) is awesome, but just moved from 16oz bags @$17-18 and are now doing 12oz bags @$15+.

It’s good coffee but holy poo poo they jacked the price, and I will have to either get more than one bag at a time or go at least once a week.

Hashtag firstworld coffee problems

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Ultimate Mango posted:

My local place (Bodhi Leaf) is awesome, but just moved from 16oz bags @$17-18 and are now doing 12oz bags @$15+.

It’s good coffee but holy poo poo they jacked the price, and I will have to either get more than one bag at a time or go at least once a week.

seemingly, yes

all the good roasters here are at least $17+ for a 12 oz bag, and single estate stuff is frequently like $22

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Ultimate Mango posted:

Switch to Turkish style brewing and make your bean use even more efficient!

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

There Bias Two posted:

Switch to Turkish style brewing and make your bean use even more efficient!

Drink the sludge, let not a speck of caffeine go to waste.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
This is one of the reasons I'm so silly about my grinder's annoying retention problem. I don't want to take a tiny brush to every nook and cranny of the thing at 6:30 am every time I make a cup of coffee but I also don't want to waste coffee that cost me almost $20 for 12oz.

Txxt
Dec 11, 2004
The retention thing is a big deal to me...there were huge amounts of beans in my Forte left between the hopper and the burrs. I figured purchasing something that had 0 retention and good build quality was the smart thing to do....right??? :downs:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Ed Jurak posted:

The retention thing is a big deal to me...there were huge amounts of beans in my Forte left between the hopper and the burrs. I figured purchasing something that had 0 retention and good build quality was the smart thing to do....right??? :downs:

:eyepop:

what the gently caress is that?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Ed Jurak posted:

Tell me more :fap:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think it is a high-end microscope.

Txxt
Dec 11, 2004
My NDA prevents me from saying too much, but let's just say this little baby can break apart coffee beans with molecular degeneration and a blast of superheated plasma. It makes for a real interesting cup

just kidding, but it should for this much money. it's a Lyn Weber EG-1, version 2 https://lynweber.com/

Txxt fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jul 7, 2019

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Ed Jurak posted:

My NDA prevents me from saying too much, but let's just say this little baby can break apart coffee beans with molecular degeneration and a blast of superheated plasma. It makes for a real interesting cup

just kidding, but it should for this much money. it's a Lyn Weber EG-1, version 2 https://lynweber.com/

Does it also walk the dog for that price?

Txxt
Dec 11, 2004

There Bias Two posted:

Does it also walk the dog for that price?

I can't get the breed I want in the apartment I live in :smith: so this is what I bought instead of the dog

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They have a hand grinder version for $1,000. :stare:

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Oneiros posted:

:eyepop:

what the gently caress is that?

Thats their new Space Bong. It gets you galaxy brain high.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Mu Zeta posted:

They have a hand grinder version for $1,000. :stare:

This legit got me laughing

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
My brother just got an electric gooseneck kettle and a chemex brewer. I sent him a link to that stumptown stoner pour video.

He has not responded back yet :kheldragar:

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Ultimate Mango posted:

Outside of farmers markets It’s been that way for years at the craft/2nd wave industry level. Bodhi is an outlier in that they also (try to) sell green coffee and kind of do that catch all style.

You’ll enjoy that some roasters (just speciality) are going to 10oz now. That cracks me up.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Since starting on stimulant meds I've become very sensitive to caffeine — I can only really do a single 5ish oz cup a day of caffeinated coffee, so even the 12oz bags are way too much for me to get through in 2 weeks' time before they go off. Is there anyone who sells in smaller amounts, like 6oz, or should I basically just look into roasting at home at this point?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You should just roast it. You can probably make enough in an air popcorn maker in 10 minutes to last a couple weeks.

Txxt
Dec 11, 2004

Keret posted:

Since starting on stimulant meds I've become very sensitive to caffeine — I can only really do a single 5ish oz cup a day of caffeinated coffee, so even the 12oz bags are way too much for me to get through in 2 weeks' time before they go off. Is there anyone who sells in smaller amounts, like 6oz, or should I basically just look into roasting at home at this point?

You could always freeze your poo poo in a mason jar

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Ed Jurak posted:

You could always freeze your poo poo in a mason jar

This is not the colonoscopy thread, also that's a bad idea for coffee too.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mr. Mambold posted:

Freezing coffee has been shown to be pretty effective in preserving quality to the best of my knowledge.

Txxt
Dec 11, 2004

Mr. Mambold posted:

Months worth of results on HB has very little negative to say about freezing roasted beans.

https://www.home-barista.com/forums/search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=freezing+coffee

Do you know something these posters don't? You a food scientist or something?

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I think the colonoscopy joke is a good indication of his origins.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Ed Jurak posted:

Months worth of results on HB has very little negative to say about freezing roasted beans.

https://www.home-barista.com/forums/search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=freezing+coffee

Do you know something these posters don't? You a food scientist or something?

:monocle: We're all food scientists in this thread. .I was always told that freezing created water crystals which wrecked the little magical coffee tasties. Idk about home barista. I think the popcorn popper is the best alternative for the OP.

edit- ah ok, huffpost, that final authority of everything says it's bad because it lets water into your coffee.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/store-coffee-freezer_n_6923568

Big Taint posted:

I think the colonoscopy joke is a good indication of his origins.

Hey, Hey! Back to Tartarus with you.

Mr. Mambold fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 12, 2019

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mr. Mambold posted:

:monocle: We're all food scientists in this thread. .I was always told that freezing created water crystals which wrecked the little magical coffee tasties. Idk about home barista. I think the popcorn popper is the best alternative for the OP.

edit- ah ok, huffpost, that final authority of everything says it's bad because it lets water into your coffee.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/store-coffee-freezer_n_6923568

Hey, Hey! Back to Tartarus with you.

I would think that as long as you keep the container well sealed and don't take it out of the freezer often, you'd still preserve taste. I don't think it's the ice crystallization that causes issues as much as the freeze/thaw cycles, but I'm not an expert.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

There Bias Two posted:

I would think that as long as you keep the container well sealed and don't take it out of the freezer often, you'd still preserve taste. I don't think it's the ice crystallization that causes issues as much as the freeze/thaw cycles, but I'm not an expert.

I'm not an expert either.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

There Bias Two posted:

There is air in the container. Air freezes. It's going to get crystals and proceed to suck.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Munkaboo posted:

There is air in the container. Air freezes. It's going to get crystals and proceed to suck.

Why would it suck, chemically speaking?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

MasterControl posted:

Outside of farmers markets It’s been that way for years at the craft/2nd wave industry level. Bodhi is an outlier in that they also (try to) sell green coffee and kind of do that catch all style.

You’ll enjoy that some roasters (just speciality) are going to 10oz now. That cracks me up.

Okay that’s funny.

How long until you just buy 20 gram bags, single serving style?

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Ultimate Mango posted:

Okay that’s funny.

How long until you just buy 20 gram bags, single serving style?

Got you covered pal:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Munkaboo posted:

i live in a pretty low humidity environment and usually only freeze properly vacuum sealed coffee(s), but i've never found a discernible difference in taste, and it took a fair bit of time for a significant reduction in crema as far as espresso's concerned

you can easily get vacuum canisters or whatever if you're going in and out of it daily over a prolonged period though

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Tippecanoe posted:

Got you covered pal:

Speaking of which I am staying at a hotel next week that has a Nespresso machine. They charge ungodly amounts for capsules. What’s the best bet to pick up pods at retail these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tippecanoe posted:

Got you covered pal:

Each espresso pod has like 6 grams on those. Huge ripoff.