Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You have too much fibre in your network.

More like not enough fibre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
It's cool, someone's just streaming.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

A ticket came in somewhere and has since been closed as solved:
https://i.imgur.com/GcFQIrm.mp4

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Wizard of the Deep posted:

🎶Print job roasting, on an open fire...
Steve Jobs nipping at your cords🎵

:emptyquote:

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

D. Ebdrup posted:

code:
I placed a bucket under the cable leak. Resolved.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

D. Ebdrup posted:

Needfull complete: A drip pan is now under the cable.

EFB! :argh:

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
A ticket came in:

"I cannot dial-out. It is frustrating as I need to make many phone calls today. I have to onboard someone via phone in 30 mins. Same message as prior. HELP NEEDED."

A response was sent:

"As stated clearly in the 3 company wide incident emails this morning, and as a response to your previous ticket for the same issue, no one can make outbound calls in the entire company. This is not just impacting you, the problem is a global Microsoft issue."

I'm probably going to hear about that one and catch some finger waggling from my director.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Problem:
Solution:

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

D. Ebdrup posted:

Drain the node, let the containers reallocate elsewhere.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

D. Ebdrup posted:

A Ticket Came In: Streaming no longer working

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I guess the other end of that is a radio somewhere

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

sfwarlock posted:

It's cool, someone's just streaming.
It’s UDP, not every drop has to make it to the destination

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Aunt Beth posted:

:hmmyes:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

DigitalMocking posted:

A ticket came in:

"I cannot dial-out. It is frustrating as I need to make many phone calls today. I have to onboard someone via phone in 30 mins. Same message as prior. HELP NEEDED."

A response was sent:

"As stated clearly in the 3 company wide incident emails this morning, and as a response to your previous ticket for the same issue, no one can make outbound calls in the entire company. This is not just impacting you, the problem is a global Microsoft issue."

I'm probably going to hear about that one and catch some finger waggling from my director.
Ticket 3:

"Why are you wasting time responding to my tickets instead of resolving the outbound calling issue??!!"

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

nullfunction posted:

Drain the node, let the containers reallocate elsewhere.
Isn't the correct (and in this case, infinitely more fitting) terminology "re-hydrate"?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

D. Ebdrup posted:

None of the mandatory data-leak prevention courses covered this!

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Just put a bit bucket under it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Anyone know a dumb permissions issue? When in AD, you can right-click a user and choose Copy. When my intern does it, Copy doesn't appear. I'm trying to show him the GUI way before the Powershell way.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

GreenNight posted:

Anyone know a dumb permissions issue? When in AD, you can right-click a user and choose Copy. When my intern does it, Copy doesn't appear. I'm trying to show him the GUI way before the Powershell way.

Skip it. PowerShell only.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Eh I figured it out. Built in groups have the correct permissions. The guy is 3 years into a 4 year comp sci degree and has never seen PowerShell or any type of scripting what so ever.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

GreenNight posted:

The guy is 3 years into a 4 year comp sci degree and has never seen PowerShell or any type of scripting what so ever.

loving what

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Right? I'm like what the gently caress have you been doing for the past 3 years. Although maybe it's him. He never used a screwdriver before in his life before he started working for me. I had to teach him the "lefty loosy, righty tighty" method.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

GreenNight posted:

Eh I figured it out. Built in groups have the correct permissions. The guy is 3 years into a 4 year comp sci degree and has never seen PowerShell or any type of scripting what so ever.

I have run into this more often than you might think. CompSci tends to teach you C/C++/C#/Java/Assembly and not a lot of actual scripting. It's entirely possible they've used Python but never considered it a scripting language? You'd think the concept wouldn't be foreign to them, but most certainly the syntax and cmdlets would be.

No time to learn like the present though.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

The analogy I've always heard is "Computer Science is to IT administration as Astronomy is to telescope construction". Modern astronomers may know generals about how lenses and mirrors are ground and polished, but actually doing it is an entirely different skillset.

That said, powashell4eva.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I have a BS in comp sci and that sounds completely right. You learn about development, and how computers work under the hood, but nothing about administration.

4 years in school and not once I even heard the word powershell, or concepts like active directory. I left school knowing the logic gates that make RAM work but not even a mention on how to replace a stick of it, or the symptoms when it fails.

It's a different skill set is all. Comp sci has no overlap to IT.

E: we offered an OS class where, by the end of the class you built a rudimentary but still functional OS from scratch. But want to learn to dual boot Linux and windows? lol get the gently caress out of here nerd

Renegret fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 12, 2019

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Aunt Beth posted:

Universal Drip Protocol

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I never did any scripting for classes when earning my comp sci degree, but I did some for my own benefit on side projects. I can totally see someone going through a whole degree program without suing any scripting at all.

All that said: scripting makes life better and everyone should do it. :colbert:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Antioch posted:

Universal Drip Protocol
It's quite clearly Stream Control Transmission Protocol with a constant flow-rate like that. :colbert:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Full on CS degree here, self taught bash. Powershell wasn't a thing then either!

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

iospace posted:

Full on CS degree here, self taught bash. Powershell wasn't a thing then either!

Yes, but you understand how to program. This person...apparently doesn't.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Computer Science degrees are pretty much just Software Engineering degrees for the most part. When I went back to college I aimed for a course called "Computing" because the class list was more sysadmin-ey than what I did first, and the first week I was there they changed it to "Computer Science (Infrastructure)" which is... fair TBH. Fucktons of focus on practical networking and scripting poo poo to run automatically in linux, and a whole module on deploying poo poo to the cloud via containers, VMs etc.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Arquinsiel posted:

Computer Science degrees are pretty much just Software Engineering degrees for the most part. When I went back to college I aimed for a course called "Computing" because the class list was more sysadmin-ey than what I did first, and the first week I was there they changed it to "Computer Science (Infrastructure)" which is... fair TBH. Fucktons of focus on practical networking and scripting poo poo to run automatically in linux, and a whole module on deploying poo poo to the cloud via containers, VMs etc.

Around Christmas I spent a bunch of time talking to a new guy we hired who was a fresh cs grad and I was pretty surprised that at absolutely no point during a cs degree are you introduced to how linux works in terms of even ssh keys or even basic networking.

Compiler theory sure, sorting algorithms okay, but it didn't teach even practical software development things like testing patterns or deployment. Let alone things like istio style service mesh stuff.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
In the real world, Linux is not what the typical CS undergrad is going to do.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sysadmin is more of a trade imo. You're the "good with computers" kid that goes to work somewhere on tier 1 support or pulling cables or whatever, that's your apprenticeship. You slowly work your way up to tier 2, then start rolling into more specialized stuff like networking, dba, scripting, Unix/Linux etc. You get a few certifications here and there and before you know it you're a Journeyman sysadmin.

They don't at all teach the necessary skills to be a sysadmin in the average college CS program. You learn how to program. You don't even learn how to program in a modern environment with things like CI/CD.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

spankmeister posted:

Sysadmin is more of a trade imo.

I agree and disagree with that. I think administration can be standardized like accounting. Comparing it to a trade like plumbing would mean we figured out "don't poo poo in the same river you drink from" 40 years ago, and today we're dealing with how bad lead actually is and PEX pipes.

spankmeister posted:

They don't at all teach the necessary skills to be a sysadmin in the average college CS program. You learn how to program. You don't even learn how to program in a modern environment with things like CI/CD.

Trying to learn COBOL in the mid 2000s was what turned me off to a comp sci degree. At best, it seems like most CS degrees are at least a decade behind what we currently recognize as good, productive ideas and methods.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I agree and disagree with that. I think administration can be standardized like accounting.

It really can't. The only way to get good at it is picking up a lifetime's worth of encountering loving weird incompatibilities, bugs, and workarounds for dozens of different pieces of hardware and software produced by various vendors. Sysadmin work is very much a job based on what you know as much as what you do.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Yea, I phrased that poorly. Some parts are somewhat standardized, like managing users and groups in AD, or dealing with peripheral failures. If anything, administration currently is like auto mechanics: There'll be some stuff most everyone should be able to handle, juniors/apprentices can deal with moderately basic stuff (like oil changes and tire rotations), but when you get something really weird ("I hear a knocking sound every 13 minutes, and my glovebox locks itself") needs a master who can view and understand the whole system.

Computers are so new, though, we're still way to early to have standardized much.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Trying to learn COBOL in the mid 2000s was what turned me off to a comp sci degree. At best, it seems like most CS degrees are at least a decade behind what we currently recognize as good, productive ideas and methods.

They wanted you to learn COBOL in the mid 2000s? I entered a CS program in 2001 and my classes were taught in Java. I have never heard of COBOL being part of any CS curriculum.

I ended up not caring for the CS program and switching out of it -- I always wanted to do IT -- but that one year taught me some very valuable stuff that I actually do use on the job. Basic software engineering skills are useful when you're scripting. Is this the most efficient way I can do this? Maybe I should compartmentalize this into different functions? I should define constants at the top rather than hardcoding them in. I should write comments. I should format my code in a readable way with proper indents and casing.

I am actually skeptical that individuals writing automation is going to remain the future at least in networking, which is my specialty. Over time I think vendors will start to provide their own tools to do the automation side, and they're already starting to. Expecting people to have deep domain knowledge and also be good programmers is a pretty big ask.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

That's really loving weird. In the same era, I started my degree and the main high level languages we used were Java and C. Even with that there was a certain dated feel to the courses.

Also all of the department's lab computers were Linux / Unix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

You know the most terrifying thing about that? Someone probably deliberately put that cut in the cable jacket for drainage and thought they were solving a problem.