Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Silver2195 posted:

https://kotaku.com/what-its-like-inside-a-pokeball-according-to-a-pokemon-1788004256

Masuda posted:

I think it’s safe to say that it’s very comfortable inside inside of a Pokeball, it’s a very comfortable environment. Maybe the equivalent of a high-end suite room in a fancy hotel.

Masuda's a Silph Co shill, in the pocket of Big Pokeball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I train free-range pokemon. My house is a smouldering wreck and the EPA has put a price on my head.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Eox posted:

I train free-range pokemon. My house is a smouldering wreck and the EPA has put a price on my head.

I mean, that's what Pokemon Rangers do. And several anime characters (including Ash) have a Pokemon that prefers to stay outside of its Poke Ball.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I'm so glad Ponyta got dropped down a well so we could have improved graphics and animations.

Unironically agreed

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

RatHat posted:

I don't understand how such blatant copyright theft would happen anywhere, let alone China.

When you’re powerful you get to ignore a lot of rules regarding things like copyright theft and human rights

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
That gif is also very much a cherry pick from a game that likely has a much more limited number of Pokemon than whatever Game Freak’s doing along with very simplified and streamlined mechanics. I’m going to guess that Pikachu, one of the most iconic mascots in the world got a lot more time making sure it’s face didn’t mysteriously vanish during animations or whatever.

Still not an excuse to me for the current issues but it is worth noting.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Yo I want to know what was the deal with the rest of the Kalos Power Plants. Answer me Masuda!!!

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://twitter.com/Rockettshipper/status/1149231442737737733

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I love Impidimp and will protect him

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Speaking of the anime, I've started Black & White, and it's...OK. The "reset" Ash isn't quite as stupid as I expected him to be (although he's definitely not as smart as he was in Sinnoh).

I have mixed feelings about the new handling of Team Rocket; while having them do their own thing instead of bothering Ash all the time was a good decision, the writers seem to have thrown the baby out with the bathwater and turned them into completely different characters in the process. I guess the writers thought that making them radically more serious was necessary to make them feel more competent? And the way they talk about taking over the world (and it's not treated as a joke, but as something they're actually making progress toward) rubs me the wrong way somehow. It feels like almost every non-joke villain in the TV anime (Giovanni, Hunter J) and even in some of the movies (the Iron-Masked Marauder) has the same generic "serious" and remorseless personality, and the Rocket trio has absorbed it too. It's a pity, because the first three movies suggest that Shudo, at least, could write more interesting villains.

Cilan isn't particularly interesting so far (his main personality trait is using pretentious food metaphors for everything), but just as Brock is more interesting when he's actually being a Pokemon Breeder instead of sexually harassing Nurse Joys, Cilan will probably be more interesting when we see him doing...whatever it is Pokemon Connoisseurs do.

I see what people mean about Iris; she really does say variants of "you're such a kid" more often than Dawn says "no need to worry." She does have a potentially interesting arc, I guess (if a somewhat recycled one).

Trip is a fairly generic arrogant rival character, and his supposed superiority to Ash rings a bit hollow because he's a genuine newbie instead of an experienced Trainer like Paul. When Trip mocked him for having only one badge, Ash should have said, "Actually, I have 37 badges."

As a side note, regarding Pokemon food: do Pokemon in the anime need to eat if they're inside Poke Balls? In Diamond and Pearl all the protagonists' Pokemon are shown eating, but in Black and White so far only the "free-range" ones (Pikachu and Axew) seem to. At the very least, Iris's Excadrill wasn't eating in front of Ash, since he'd been travelling with her for several days without seeing it. And even in earlier seasons, there were occasions where a Pokemon was trapped in a Pokeball for a seemingly long time (e.g., Mira's Sandshrew) and no one brought up the possibility of it starving.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 11, 2019

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Silver2195 posted:

As a side note, regarding Pokemon food: do Pokemon in the anime need to eat if they're inside Poke Balls? In Diamond and Pearl all the protagonists' Pokemon are shown eating, but in Black and White so far only the "free-range" ones (Pikachu and Axew) seem to. At the very least, Iris's Excadrill wasn't eating in front of Ash, since he'd been travelling with her for several days without seeing it. And even in earlier seasons, there were occasions where a Pokemon was trapped in a Pokeball for a seemingly long time (e.g., Mira's Sandshrew) and no one brought up the possibility of it starving.

The series as a whole doesn't touch upon this much, but it seems like Pokémon inside the Pokéball don't really experience the passage of time or any sort of entropy. They're converted into some kind of energy and remain so until the ball is opened.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Zuzie posted:

The series as a whole doesn't touch upon this much, but it seems like Pokémon inside the Pokéball don't really experience the passage of time or any sort of entropy. They're converted into some kind of energy and remain so until the ball is opened.

This doesn't really fit with Masuda's "high-end hotel" explanation (which his other comments in the same interview downplaying the differences between the anime's and the games' settings imply is true for the anime as well as the games). And Pokemon seem to be able to leave their Poke Balls at will (at least, Misty's Psyduck, May's Skitty, and Brock's Croagunk do), so they're not completely in suspended animation. I guess they're in suspended animation only if they choose to be? That would explain why the protagonists' Pokemon in DP would get hungry but Iris's Excadrill wouldn't.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
BW shows the inside of the Pokeball even when dragonite shows up and it's just cramped empty space

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Silver2195 posted:

This doesn't really fit with Masuda's "high-end hotel" explanation (which his other comments in the same interview downplaying the differences between the anime's and the games' settings imply is true for the anime as well as the games). And Pokemon seem to be able to leave their Poke Balls at will (at least, Misty's Psyduck, May's Skitty, and Brock's Croagunk do), so they're not completely in suspended animation. I guess they're in suspended animation only if they choose to be? That would explain why the protagonists' Pokemon in DP would get hungry but Iris's Excadrill wouldn't.

Alternatively, fans are reading further in than GF every intended and they're just making stuff up. High end hotel sounds better than "hosed if I know".

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's kind of a difficult question to answer because most settings that have a player teaming up with a bunch of critters/whatever tend to either not have them make so much of a direct, personal connection with them (smt/persona/etc.) or don't stress having a bunch of them and/or storing them away when not in use (digimon/etc.)

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

d3lness posted:

Alternatively, fans are reading further in than GF every intended and they're just making stuff up. High end hotel sounds better than "hosed if I know".

Pokeballs are devices that are able to perfectly convert living matter into energy and back again with no loss in mass that can be bought with children’s pocket money and if broken doesn’t result in the planet shattering. It’s probably best to just accept that it’s just a children video game and you really should just relax.

mikemil828 fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 11, 2019

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's kind of a difficult question to answer because most settings that have a player teaming up with a bunch of critters/whatever tend to either not have them make so much of a direct, personal connection with them (smt/persona/etc.) or don't stress having a bunch of them and/or storing them away when not in use (digimon/etc.)

It's one of several weird tensions built into the Pokemon setting. Most obviously Pokemon as animals you capture vs. Pokemon as people you befriend, but also Pokemon as biological organisms that fit specific ecological niches vs. Pokemon as magical monsters that just do whatever, and the setting's geography as our world with the names changed vs. the setting's geography as a JRPG world with volcanoes and deserts and lost civilizations everywhere.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 11, 2019

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Johnny Joestar posted:

I've only played Cyber Sleuth so I'm curious, don't the games basically state that they're just saved as data in either your charter's storage or lounge's?

Also, I most definitely make a personal connection with my Jack Bros. Shut your mouth before I unscrew your head and hee-ho down your neck.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

realistically it's just one of those 'seriously don't think about it' kind of things but i can understand where the dissonance comes from in regards to pokemon in particular

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

d3lness posted:

I've only played Cyber Sleuth so I'm curious, don't the games basically state that they're just saved as data in either your charter's storage or lounge's?

Also, I most definitely make a personal connection with my Jack Bros. Shut your mouth before I unscrew your head and hee-ho down your neck.

The digimon games are always weird about playable digimon. Cyber Sleuth has you deconstruct and reconstruct dozens of digimon out of leftover data, lets you feed digimon to others for experience/to digivolve to certain forms and generally treats them interchangeably. But it also has digimon NPCs who are like actual people and doing any of that is incredibly hosed up if thats true for your digimon.

Like creating a bunch of rookies to mash into another digimon to level it up (which you will later undo in an endless cycle of grinding) is hilariously monstrous and that tension is never addressed by the game at all.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

In Diamond and Pearl, James left his Carnivine unattended at his summer home for who knows how long without it ever coming out of its poke ball

Which may be why it immediately tries to eat him...

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Johnny Joestar posted:

realistically it's just one of those 'seriously don't think about it' kind of things but i can understand where the dissonance comes from in regards to pokemon in particular

It turns out that the world of Pokemon is just one of the failed iterations of the Matrix. In an attempt to solve the problem with humans they gave them Pokemon to enslave and use for cock fights, so they're just raw data and it's merely not in use when they're stored in their pokeballs

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

It turns out that the world of Pokemon is just one of the failed iterations of the Matrix. In an attempt to solve the problem with humans they gave them Pokemon to enslave and use for cock fights, so they're just raw data and it's merely not in use when they're stored in their pokeballs
Bill's PC is actually a matrix within a matrix, which as we know from the ending of Revolutions, was already within a matrix. That, or Pokemon was actually where the human creators of the matrix learned that a dual level simulation is the only real way to avoid an uprising.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wait it's meant to be pronounced You-no-va?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, the pronunciation surprised me too (specifically, I expected the accent to be on the middle syllable instead of the first).

Though the Pokemon franchise is so wildly inconsistent about pronunciations that you shouldn't feel too bad about pronouncing names however you want. Remember the Pokemon Stadium announcer saying Ray-chu?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

MikeJF posted:

you mean you haven't been pronouncing it that way all this time :confused:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

MikeJF posted:

United States of America.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

Remember the Pokemon Stadium announcer saying Ray-chu?

As opposed to?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

qnqnx posted:

As opposed to?

Rye-chu.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

The White Dragon posted:

you mean you haven't been pronouncing it that way all this time :confused:

I assumed it was OOO-NO-VA

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

That's hosed up.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
RAY-chu would be spelled "Reichu"

RYE-chu matches its spelling, "Raichu"

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

The Third Reichu.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Annath posted:

Personal rule of thumb is that in case of doubt, pronounce pokemon names like they were in Spanish.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Annath posted:

This is obviously correct, but looking at it, it is kind of hosed up

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Silver2195 posted:

Speaking of the anime, I've started Black & White, and it's...OK. The "reset" Ash isn't quite as stupid as I expected him to be (although he's definitely not as smart as he was in Sinnoh).

I have mixed feelings about the new handling of Team Rocket; while having them do their own thing instead of bothering Ash all the time was a good decision, the writers seem to have thrown the baby out with the bathwater and turned them into completely different characters in the process. I guess the writers thought that making them radically more serious was necessary to make them feel more competent? And the way they talk about taking over the world (and it's not treated as a joke, but as something they're actually making progress toward) rubs me the wrong way somehow. It feels like almost every non-joke villain in the TV anime (Giovanni, Hunter J) and even in some of the movies (the Iron-Masked Marauder) has the same generic "serious" and remorseless personality, and the Rocket trio has absorbed it too. It's a pity, because the first three movies suggest that Shudo, at least, could write more interesting villains.

Cilan isn't particularly interesting so far (his main personality trait is using pretentious food metaphors for everything), but just as Brock is more interesting when he's actually being a Pokemon Breeder instead of sexually harassing Nurse Joys, Cilan will probably be more interesting when we see him doing...whatever it is Pokemon Connoisseurs do.

I see what people mean about Iris; she really does say variants of "you're such a kid" more often than Dawn says "no need to worry." She does have a potentially interesting arc, I guess (if a somewhat recycled one).

Trip is a fairly generic arrogant rival character, and his supposed superiority to Ash rings a bit hollow because he's a genuine newbie instead of an experienced Trainer like Paul. When Trip mocked him for having only one badge, Ash should have said, "Actually, I have 37 badges."

Team Rocket will revert eventually, so don't worry too much about that. As for Cilan, he really doesn't get any more interesting. The only mildly interesting thing I remember about him is when his brother Chili shows up again in a later episode and is depressed cause he keeps getting his rear end kicked by everyone... because he's an idiot and his Pansear knows nothing but fire moves, so Cilan helps teach it something else. Beyond that, whenever literally anything comes up that Cilan is interested in, he calls himself a Connoisseur in that subject. It gets annoying.

And Ash... yeah, for some reason, they HATE having Ash reference accomplishments in previous regions outside of other people talking about it, or when his old Pokemon show up for cameos.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Macaluso posted:

This is obviously correct, but looking at it, it is kind of hosed up

English spelling 101

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Annath posted:

the confusion probably comes from Mortal Kombat's Raiden

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it’s cleared up by mgs’ raiden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

less laughter posted:

the confusion probably comes from Mortal Kombat's Raiden

oddium posted:

it’s cleared up by mgs’ raiden

Maybe I'm dumb but aren't both of these RYE-den?