Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Harlequin, normally the shyer of our two rabbits, has gotten a bit friendlier now that he's 2. His new thing is to sleep by my feet while I'm at my computer so I can pet him with my toes. He loves it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 47 minutes!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Does he seem to have any tooth or mouth pain? Are you guys good with you prodding his face and checking? Rabbits with dental issues will often limit their chewing/grooming/picking poo poo up with their mouth to the minimum but eat enough to keep going.
He only teeth grinds when he's happy, and he's very food-motivated. I've actually never seen him pick up toys or chew sticks and carry them, though he will sometimes lift a chunk of something out of his dish. Doesn't seem like he's hurting at all.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Now that Carrots has recovered from his give mom and dad a big vet bill escapade, he's taken to trying to get under the couch again. A habit he had given up months ago.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

So, for feeding her hay, we gave Harriet a big fake tree stump (We originally got it years ago for her to hide under, and she never did, so we flipped it and used it as a hay bucket for years).

Well, yesterday, I discovered she has been using it as a toilet. It's literally right next to her untouched litter box.

So, now I had to dig out an old hay box someone gave me years ago for her.

Little brat.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Update on Broussette's bladder: yesterday she looked me dead in the eye before peeing all over my Denon receiver.

gamingCaffeinator posted:

She already knows, friend. She already knows.

:tinfoil:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 47 minutes!
Earlier this week Ludo just pissed in the corner of the TV room in front of God and everybody. We've figured out that his brain reads "corner" as "litter box." He's not bright.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Update on Broussette's bladder: yesterday she looked me dead in the eye before peeing all over my Denon receiver.

You guys are being really loving dumb. I'm sorry. But you free range your rabbit despite the fact that she's peeing all over the place and now doing hundreds of dollars worth of damage to your stuff. You sanded your floors. No rabbit's perceived "freedom" is worth that. They are dumb, dumb animals and they will never be able to conceptualize- much less appreciate- you greatly inconveniencing yourself for their sake. Also, consider yourself lucky that the receiver didn't grenade itself or start an electrical fire.

Put down plastic sheeting/liner, buy a cheap 8x6/6x6/4x6 rug off of the internet or craigslist and pop 1-2 ex-pens linked together on top of it. Or forego the rug if the idea of tossing it in a year bugs you and use interlocking gym floor tiles or, better yet, a big rubber/plastic floor mat if you don't mind the aesthetics.

Also- have you checked her health out? Incontinence/holding and purging/greatly destabilized urination behavior can be a sign of injury or illness. Maybe she picked up a UTI from your parents' house?

Edit: there are a variety of hard and flexible flooring options out there for dog kennels (decking, mats, tiles, etc). That's probably the best covering material if it's available to you.

Double fantasy edit: also rabbits hate wood floors because their whole system of locomotion requires them to get a good grip when hipping and hopping about. my old trio were way happier on carpeted or rubber floors.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 11, 2019

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
You guys are freaking me out because Lillian has never once pooped or peed outside of her pen (it's not always in the litter box but it's always in the pen) except for when she gets distracted by something in the middle of eating cecotropes and decides to run off and just leave it laying there which is :barf:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://www.rubberflooringinc.com/animal-mat/12-diamond-top-dog-kennel-mat.html?i=1725

https://www.rubberflooringinc.com/h...zhoCRBUQAvD_BwE

turn your flooring vision into reality, you guys

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Harriet's flooring is those gym foam interlocking panels Like these with Puppy training pads on top to absorb her pee. We also have her in an enclosure in the basement.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Electric Bugaloo posted:

You guys are being really loving dumb. I'm sorry. But you free range your rabbit despite the fact that she's peeing all over the place and now doing hundreds of dollars worth of damage to your stuff. You sanded your floors. No rabbit's perceived "freedom" is worth that. They are dumb, dumb animals and they will never be able to conceptualize- much less appreciate- you greatly inconveniencing yourself for their sake. Also, consider yourself lucky that the receiver didn't grenade itself or start an electrical fire.

Put down plastic sheeting/liner, buy a cheap 8x6/6x6/4x6 rug off of the internet or craigslist and pop 1-2 ex-pens linked together on top of it. Or forego the rug if the idea of tossing it in a year bugs you and use interlocking gym floor tiles or, better yet, a big rubber/plastic floor mat if you don't mind the aesthetics.

Also- have you checked her health out? Incontinence/holding and purging/greatly destabilized urination behavior can be a sign of injury or illness. Maybe she picked up a UTI from your parents' house?

Edit: there are a variety of hard and flexible flooring options out there for dog kennels (decking, mats, tiles, etc). That's probably the best covering material if it's available to you.

Double fantasy edit: also rabbits hate wood floors because their whole system of locomotion requires them to get a good grip when hipping and hopping about. my old trio were way happier on carpeted or rubber floors.

Dude don't freak out, the receiver is fine. (faintly smells of vinegar now) :D
The TV bench was part of the enclosure since I don't have a dedicated pen yet. I no longer let her out unless I can supervise her, hence why I noticed immediately what she was doing and put her back in bunny jail.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Dude don't freak out, the receiver is fine. (faintly smells of vinegar now) :D
The TV bench was part of the enclosure since I don't have a dedicated pen yet. I no longer let her out unless I can supervise her, hence why I noticed immediately what she was doing and put her back in bunny jail.
Rabbits are hierarchical animals and right now that animal runs your household.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)
My foster-failure that I've had for 6 years had a lumpy mass grow on top of her paw that we got removed today at the vet, and they gave me some antibacterial paste to put on the stitches so she wouldnt try to chew them up. The paste is supposed to be super bitter and gross. My sweet sweet Belle has already licked it off twice and just thumped like crazy when I went to put more on.

RABBITS. :I

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bunnyofdoom posted:

Harriet's flooring is those gym foam interlocking panels Like these with Puppy training pads on top to absorb her pee. We also have her in an enclosure in the basement.

Lair.

It's a lair. Honestly I'm picturing it enclosed by waist-high stone castle walls and the bones of various small mammals she's killed and used for decoration.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Lair.

It's a lair. Honestly I'm picturing it enclosed by waist-high stone castle walls and the bones of various small mammals she's killed and used for decoration.

Harriet does not kill small mammals.

She recruits them into her army.

But, yes. I should build like a lego castle wall around it. It would be adorable.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Lair.

There is precedent for this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxKIJTb3Hg

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

That ain't Harriet's style. She rarely if ever is violent. She is more about the mind games.

She's less Joker and more Hugo Strange

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

That ain't Harriet's style. She rarely if ever is violent. She is more about the mind games.

She's less Joker and more Hugo Strange

I may have asked this before, but have you ever thought about getting Harriet a friend/spouse?

I’m honestly just curious about how her behavior might evolve.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I may have asked this before, but have you ever thought about getting Harriet a friend/spouse?

Yes, let's help the creature evolve

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Dear god. Harriet with a hare-apparent. That's all we need, more Harriets spreading their horrible, fuzzy influence around the world.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Lillian has taken to flopping right next to me at least once a day so I dunno what horrible thing she's trying to distract me from

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

RichterIX posted:

Lillian has taken to flopping right next to me at least once a day so I dunno what horrible thing she's trying to distract me from

she’s loving your wife

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
(Backstory) So, my house is built on a bit of a slope, and as such our yard drains three properties behind us. We have a number of drains that all tie in to a little rock-lined stream that runs by our driveway. We also have wild rabbits running around the neighborhood.

So... I'm out watering the plants this evening, and I frighten a rabbit out of a bush. It runs across the driveway, tries to jump over the little stream and... doesn't quite make it, catching it's front paws on the other side and face planting in to the grass on the other side.

If you've ever wanted to know whether a wild rabbit can do the "contemptuous-angry hop away", then yes, yes they can.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Electric Bugaloo posted:

she’s loving your wife

"just gonna flop over here, nothing to see here. when are you going to work again?"

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

GoingPostal posted:

Dear god. Harriet with a hare-apparent. That's all we need, more Harriets spreading their horrible, fuzzy influence around the world.

I dunno about you, but that's EXACTLY what I want. Hail Harriet, Dark Lady and Mistress of Destruction.

Also, one of my coworkers just got a bunny of her own as an emotional support animal in training. She's a fuzzy Holland Lop, and especially cute. Thanks to this thread, I've been talking to her and she's a really good pet owner (and her bun is loving adorable). I'll ask if I can post some of the photos she sends me.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Harriet does recruit squirells and chipmunks already.

But yeah, we are looking into gettinga 2nd bunny. Or my MIL is buying us a dog after Harriet is gone.

I do not want a dog.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I dunno about you, but that's EXACTLY what I want. Hail Harriet, Dark Lady and Mistress of Destruction.

Also, one of my coworkers just got a bunny of her own as an emotional support animal in training. She's a fuzzy Holland Lop, and especially cute. Thanks to this thread, I've been talking to her and she's a really good pet owner (and her bun is loving adorable). I'll ask if I can post some of the photos she sends me.
Holland Lops are very sweet rabbits, one of my old ones was a Holland/Mini Rex mix and he was great.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Marfa is a fuzzy lop. I miss my old buns but I honestly do not miss cleaning up after them

Hope your friend is diligent about grooming and brushing

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Holland Lops are very sweet rabbits, one of my old ones was a Holland/Mini Rex mix and he was great.

I got to meet the little one once already, and she loves pets and being around people in general! She also apparently loooooves cilantro, but I haven't gotten to see that yet.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Marfa is a fuzzy lop. I miss my old buns but I honestly do not miss cleaning up after them

Hope your friend is diligent about grooming and brushing

How often would you suggest brushing, and what tool do you suggest? I know she's shaved/trimmed the bunny (Nutmeg) at least 3 times in the last 3 months because she gets really floofed out.

As I've mentioned before, I'm not a bunny owner. I follow this thread to get info and see cute photos, and I will defer to the experienced bunny owners in this thread. You all have such good information and tips!

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

How often would you suggest brushing, and what tool do you suggest? I know she's shaved/trimmed the bunny (Nutmeg) at least 3 times in the last 3 months because she gets really floofed out.

As I've mentioned before, I'm not a bunny owner. I follow this thread to get info and see cute photos, and I will defer to the experienced bunny owners in this thread. You all have such good information and tips!

If you look up Bugaloo’s post history there’s some good info. (I remember asking him the same thing some time ago)
I use a Furminator S, a deshedding glove and a metal tooth slicker. Broussette hates the furminator because it pulls hairs a bit so I generally use it last. The glove is much more tolerable but it’s not super efficient for a small rabbit and the brush is probably the best compromise but I have to be careful not to hurt her skin. I typically do glove > brush > furminator when she sheds and just use the brush or furminator otherwise.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

If you look up Bugaloo’s post history there’s some good info. (I remember asking him the same thing some time ago)
I use a Furminator S, a deshedding glove and a metal tooth slicker. Broussette hates the furminator because it pulls hairs a bit so I generally use it last.

Yeah this, I ain’t writing that poo poo again 🤷🏻‍♂️

There’s a lot of good info online. People show rabbits, and a fair amount of cat tips apply to rabbits too.

It’s very important that you brush at MINIMUM once or twice a week (some people do daily- at least in summer, many do every other day or every 3 days) or she will get mats and hair knots. Also, the more brushing you do (to a point) the faster and better and more comfortable the brushing is for everyone. A rabbit that gets rarely brushed/groomed is a rabbit that has/gives an absolute hell of a time on the occasions when it does get it.

Trimming hair for a fuzzy lop (esp around the eyes a wee bit, or else they have difficulty seeing and it can make them stressed/prone to injury) is also a good practice. Summer is awful for them without it and I mentioned the bit about eyes. Be careful and use the right clippers if you’re gonna clip. Learn best practices before you attempt to use an electric hair cutting device on your animal. Learn how to cup their bits, etc. DO NOT WING IT LIKE A MORHERFUCKER. Also it’s important to trim out knots and mats from tum and skirt hairs. There are stories of angoras and fuzzy lops getting their feet caught in knots/mats and tearing their skin. Otherwise easy peasy lemon squeezy

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Yeah this, I ain’t writing that poo poo again 🤷🏻‍♂️

There’s a lot of good info online. People show rabbits, and a fair amount of cat tips apply to rabbits too.

It’s very important that you brush at MINIMUM once or twice a week (some people do daily- at least in summer, many do every other day or every 3 days) or she will get mats and hair knots. Also, the more brushing you do (to a point) the faster and better and more comfortable the brushing is for everyone. A rabbit that gets rarely brushed/groomed is a rabbit that has/gives an absolute hell of a time on the occasions when it does get it.

Trimming hair for a fuzzy lop (esp around the eyes a wee bit, or else they have difficulty seeing and it can make them stressed/prone to injury) is also a good practice. Summer is awful for them without it and I mentioned the bit about eyes. Be careful and use the right clippers if you’re gonna clip. Learn best practices before you attempt to use an electric hair cutting device on your animal. Learn how to cup their bits, etc. DO NOT WING IT LIKE A MORHERFUCKER. Also it’s important to trim out knots and mats from tum and skirt hairs. There are stories of angoras and fuzzy lops getting their feet caught in knots/mats and tearing their skin. Otherwise easy peasy lemon squeezy

I will probably send her the information you added here. She grooms Nutmeg 3x a week and gives her a good full-body trim about once a month, it sounds like.

Speaking of, this is Nutmeg! I got permission to post any photos she gives me, so if it's okay (since she's not my pet, she's my coworker's), I will post the occasional one :3:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :swoon:

get that bun a spouse!!!!! so adorbs!!!!!

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013
drat, you guys make my Attilla seem normal-ish.

He never pees outside his box, only small poops nearby but never more than a meter away. Grouchy and very picky about his hay. Used to use his hay bin as a toilet so now it just gets put on a shelf in his litter tray.

He also seems to have (mostly) lost his taste for USB wires.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

wafflethief posted:

He also seems to have (mostly) lost his taste for USB wires.

This is a ploy don't fall for it.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

Electric Bugaloo posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :swoon:

get that bun a spouse!!!!! so adorbs!!!!!

Funny you should mention this. She has a husbun-in-waiting, but both of them need to be desexed and her husbun (Bart, who is a Holland Lop as well... I think they call his pattern a charlie?) needs to get over his nasal infection.

This is Bart burrito'd and getting his meds. I cannot get over this face.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Funny you should mention this. She has a husbun-in-waiting, but both of them need to be desexed and her husbun (Bart, who is a Holland Lop as well... I think they call his pattern a charlie?) needs to get over his nasal infection.

This is Bart burrito'd and getting his meds. I cannot get over this face.

Please feel free to post more. :3:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

I woke up to a message licked out on a pillow. What could it mean

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013

RichterIX posted:

This is a ploy don't fall for it.

Wouldn't surprise me. When my dad's carer asked what breed he is, he answered "arsehole".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

https://twitter.com/PuccaNoodles/status/1151544465074475008?s=19