Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I was gonna say is he testing unused material from 4 years ago but drat trump time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Love to go from woke Nice Guy to Anti-SJW after even the slightest pushback for my bad behavior

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

aware of dog posted:

Love to go from woke Nice Guy to Anti-SJW after even the slightest pushback for my bad behavior

Hey, it worked for Louis CK!

...oh, wait. Whoops!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Alan Smithee posted:

I was gonna say is he testing unused material from 4 years ago but drat trump time

Wait that dress? The one a white girl took to prom and Twitter had a gigantic meltdown?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

okay I looked it up and apparently it was from may 2018 which is basically 4 years ago

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Stand up comedy is great because it allows the practitioner to be on the bold, cutting edge of comedy and culture. It sucks because most of the most famous practitioners have reached the point where they really don't want to and never will.

Asiz Ansari sucks.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/nytimesarts/status/1149055611923025920

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

And furthermore jerry Seinfeld thinks safe zones on college campuses are

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

quote:

In his new show, he does Louis C.K. few favors by defending him limply. He also speaks up for Kevin Hart who, in his telling, lived a blameless life when his dream of hosting the Oscars was dashed because of a few tweets. And after litigating the case of Michael Jackson on specials in 2004 and 2017, he does so again here, telling his audience not to watch the recent HBO documentary, “Leaving Neverland,” in which two men who accused Jackson of sexual abuse speak out. Chappelle says he doesn’t believe them, and then adds that he has no evidence, before sputtering that even if the pop star was guilty, “he’s Michael Jackson.”

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Going to a Dave Chapelle comedy show and then writing down all of his jokes as though they are real ideas that he is genuinely promoting is a bad look

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

Going to a Dave Chapelle comedy show and then writing down all of his jokes as though they are real ideas that he is genuinely promoting is a bad look
This is one of the dumbest loving takes I've heard in my life.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Bust Rodd posted:

Dave Chappelle's jokes have consistently been from the same lovely perspective for years now. He's not being ironically transphobic (as if that were a defense), he just likes making fun of trans people. He's not making some grander point about defending sex offenders, he's just defending them.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

what is it about stand up in particular that makes people still try the 'it's not lovely, it's ironically lovely' defense

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Brother Entropy posted:

what is it about stand up in particular that makes people still try the 'it's not lovely, it's ironically lovely' defense
People not knowing what a power dynamic is and believing that if something's a joke, it's definitely okay and should be defended.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Bust Rodd posted:

a bad look

regardless of how we feel about terrible stand-up routines can we all please, please agree to stop using this loving phrase

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

People not knowing what a power dynamic is and believing that if something's a joke, it's definitely okay and should be defended.

sitcoms have jokes too but i can't see people constantly trying to carry water if one of those said some of the poo poo chapelle keeps saying the past couple of years

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Brother Entropy posted:

Because people don't like to realize that they're bigots because they find bigoted jokes funny.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

opinion that will probably get me some flak: Chappelle would probably be getting away with it just fine if he was the comedian he was 15 years ago, but he's not.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Brother Entropy posted:

sitcoms have jokes too but i can't see people constantly trying to carry water if one of those said some of the poo poo chapelle keeps saying the past couple of years
South Park.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

GrandpaPants posted:

Because people don't like to realize that they're bigots because they find bigoted jokes funny.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

opinion that will probably get me some flak: Chappelle would probably be getting away with it just fine if he was the comedian he was 15 years ago, but he's not.

my favorite Dave Chappelle joke from his Netflix specials was when he said: "i'm very rich now, and i know celebrities."
then he banged his microphone against his leg.

i needed emergency surgery for my busted guts :(

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

South Park.

hell even south park has been walking back some of the bad poo poo in its history recently

chappelle meanwhile is still trying to do the 'on the jury of MJ' skit from his show, at a time when that stopped being funny for a shitton of people

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The MJ thing is happening not even to be funny. People really don't believe those guys at all.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

You can get away with saying a whole lot of transgressive things if you're funny. That's how the whole idea of comedy works. But first, you have to be funny.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

You can get away with saying a whole lot of transgressive things if you're funny. That's how the whole idea of comedy works. But first, you have to be funny.

I feel like I've made variations of this same post like 5 times now itt but it's 100% true. This has always been a part of stand-up comedy, it's why guys who make their living on the edge and maybe give up the chance to do sitcoms or corporate gigs are more respected among comedians. It's because you know you're taking a risk, it takes more confidence because you need to be very very sure that your material is actually funny. If it isn't, you get poo poo on. That's the way it is and it's the way it's always been.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

You know who doesn’t have a sex scandal?

Clean comedian dan nainan

Who isn’t defending creep lords?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Alan Smithee posted:

You know who's 20 years older than he claims?

Clean comedian Dan Nainan

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It's not even that working clean is easier, it's not. It's probably harder to be funny if you work clean but the important thing is that it comes with no risk. Nobody cares if Jerry Seinfeld's new bit about Keurigs or whatever bombs, they forget about it 5 minutes later.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Punching up will always be better received than punching down as well.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

ImpAtom posted:

Punching up will always be better received than punching down as well.

it may be "ethically preferable" but i'm not sure that's the same thing as "better received"

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I listen to a lot of stand up comedians podcasts and many of them come across as insular and very protective of each other. People linked Pete Holmes take on Louis CK earlier but he’s downright enlightened compared to some of his peers

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

sponges posted:

I listen to a lot of stand up comedians podcasts and many of them come across as insular and very protective of each other. People linked Pete Holmes take on Louis CK earlier but he’s downright enlightened compared to some of his peers

Yeah, you definitely get the feeling that they're performing for each other and hold the audience in contempt.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't think it's incumbent upon a comedian to punch up, or down, or in any intentional direction. I think part of what makes comedy so valuable is that you sometimes get to explore really dark or transgressive thoughts that wouldn't be germane to any other kind of polite discussion, and in laughing at the shock of those thoughts being mentioned out loud, you're somewhat able to re-orient your own moral compass. BUT I think "what is funny" is also a constantly shifting landscape, subject to even the slightest changes in culture and social attitudes, and a skilled comedian has to continually adapt their routine to match the mood of the times.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

exquisite tea posted:

I don't think it's incumbent upon a comedian to punch up, or down, or in any intentional direction. I think part of what makes comedy so valuable is that you sometimes get to explore really dark or transgressive thoughts that wouldn't be germane to any other kind of polite discussion, and in laughing at the shock of those thoughts being mentioned out loud, you're somewhat able to re-orient your own moral compass. BUT I think "what is funny" is also a constantly shifting landscape, subject to even the slightest changes in culture and social attitudes, and a skilled comedian has to continually adapt their routine to match the mood of the times.

Yeah, some comics are transgressive in order to push satirical boundaries and speak truth to power, some comics are transgressive because they're thinly disguised bigots who enjoy punching down, some are transgressive just for the sake of being transgressive (which can really easily slide into 'edgy' territory if they're not all that original)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, you definitely get the feeling that they're performing for each other and hold the audience in contempt.

Comedians are generally hosed up people and they're rarely doing the work for you. They often find each others' acts boring, and socially and mentally they can be involved in a lot of self-destructive behavior.

quote:

Stevens' sets could be puzzling, riddled with mundane details — the consistency of a stick of celery he had eaten for lunch, the shot of apple cider vinegar he'd taken that morning with his daily dose of Lamictal or Lexapro, how much he had paid for a bag of kibble at Petco for his mother's dog, Daisy. Like Andy Kaufman, Stevens could make you laugh by shouting at you. Sometimes he just stood onstage and drummed on the back of a chair until it became funny. He did an entire set while earnestly swinging a set of kettle bells. He once spent 45 minutes of a two-hour set trying to convince an audience member to guess who he had pitched against in college, shouting: "Who. Did. I. Pitch. Against?" No one knew, of course, and it didn't matter. He varied his rhythms "like a great fighter works the body instead of just the head," says Hinchcliffe. One of his jokes asserted that while he was not a part of the mile-high club, he did once jerk off on a Ferris wheel. "You'd think, 'OK, that's a joke,' " says Kremer. "But then he'd go, 'At the L.A. County Fair. During the Sugar Ray concert.' And you're like, 'Maybe he did.' "

Tourists and newcomers found him baffling and strange. Other comics thought he was a genius. "He was one of only about four comedians that other comedians can actually stand to watch," says Hinchcliffe. Galifianakis described Stevens as "a jock who does performance art." In a memorial show for him at the Largo with tributes by Sarah Silverman and Kirk Fox, alternately hilarious and very sad, Galifianakis revealed he thought Stevens was "the most entertaining person" he had ever met in Hollywood. For professionals, a Stevens set was a continual draw. Galifianakis once skipped an Arcade Fire concert because Stevens was doing a set at a cellphone store. They'd sometimes convene at Galifianakis' Venice Beach house and trade jokes "like a couple of 14-year-olds."

quote:

Tabori says many comedians grapple with how much to reveal onstage about their mental health struggles. "I wouldn't say they're the happiest people," she says. "A lot will say being onstage is their therapy. I always correct them and say that it's therapeutic, but it's not therapy." Galifianakis often told Stevens that the comedy community would "always be forgiving" of mental obstacles. "If there is a profession where it is kind of par for the course to have a mental issue, it is in this one," says Galifianakis. "I think good comedians are sensitive people. Brody certainly was."

Notes actor and comedian Rainn Wilson, who helped put together a movie with Funny or Die in the wake of Stevens' death called It's Not That Funny, featuring comedians talking about their own mental health struggles: "The sad-clown, tortured-comic thing has a lot of truth to it, which is pretty much why everyone who makes comedy does so out of some pain that they've experienced. But it's important that aspiring young comics don't fall in love with their mental illness. You can be funny by being in recovery and healing. You don't have to be self-destructive to be funny."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/inside-comedian-brody-stevens-tragic-death-1219210

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Brian Regan works clean and he's loving hilarious. I wouldn't say John Mulaney is a vulgar comedian either. Jim Gaffigan too.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Davros1 posted:

Brian Regan works clean and he's loving hilarious. I wouldn't say John Mulaney is a vulgar comedian either. Jim Gaffigan too.

This can't be overstated. Gaffigan owns.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I don’t ever have to worry about Stewart Lee becoming dated/offensive because the only people he regularly rips into are stand-up comedians. Including himself.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Alan Smithee posted:

If there's anybody who has a sex scandal hidden and waiting to come out, it's Dan Nainan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Gaffigan rules and is really loving pale. Like he jokes about it but it doesnt even come close in person.

Also Regan rules as well.