Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Yeah, probably a compliance car as you say. Interesting!

Preliminary results from sticking a 2.5” single test pipe on which sticks out past the bumper: drone massively reduced. MotherFUCKER. 😂😭

Now to see if adding twin 3” tips adds any drone back but I suspect the issue was the pipe not exiting far enough back coupled with the fact it was pointing downwards, allowing sound waves to bounce back and hit the car.. fingers crossed anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
So it turns out that I happen to live in between Deutsche Auto Parts and Black Forest Industries, and would probably look to go to one of them to tune the GTI.

I've been reading up on these and I'm wondering whether, before I do any modifications to the engine performance, I should first replace the clutch at the 60k mark with one that can handle the greater torque...or if I should just go for it and let the stock clutch fail when it fails.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
My car post wash, a very rare state

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Oh those white wheels are coool.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

White wheels with white car owns.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Aaaand putting 3” twin tips back on brought the drone back. :smith:

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Apollodorus posted:

So it turns out that I happen to live in between Deutsche Auto Parts and Black Forest Industries, and would probably look to go to one of them to tune the GTI.

I've been reading up on these and I'm wondering whether, before I do any modifications to the engine performance, I should first replace the clutch at the 60k mark with one that can handle the greater torque...or if I should just go for it and let the stock clutch fail when it fails.

Personally I ran the Cobb AccessPort and their OTS stage 2 tune with my 2017 GTI for 8000 miles on the stock clutch before I sold it and it never slipped but I definitely didn't have it long enough to find the point where it would. If I were to do it again I would go with a United Motorsports tune as I did on my S3, see if you can find a dealer in your area and call them up for questions on various tunes / options. I haven't kept up on the latest but from what I remember at the time UM was one of the best.

I would just let the stock clutch die but have one on hand ready to go and know of a good shop to use before it does.

http://unitedmotorsport.net/products/mk7-mqb-20-tsi-gen3/

My S3 was putting down about 350whp on 91, the thing ripped along with their DSG tune but I got out of that car after only a few thousand miles as well.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Apollodorus posted:

Oh those white wheels are coool.

saw a white 86 turbo lebaron with the white wheels today, so classy.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
What up fellow hot hatch kids?

1985 Toyota Corolla II 1.5 LS SR, so HOT

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

God in heaven look at those seats. I love it!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Godly.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
god drat boxy cars are awesome!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I legit love that car.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Those seats!

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

God in heaven look at those seats. I love it!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
F
R
E
S
H

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KakerMix posted:

What up fellow hot hatch kids?

Car is sick though.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
:kickinrad:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

KillHour posted:

Car is sick though.

:v:

It is technically a "hot hatch" when taken into context of 1985 but it by no means is fast these days.
It is powered by a "TWIN V CARB" 1.5 liter 4 cyl driving the front wheels. Yeah, two carburators. 90~ horsepower when new. I couldn't find another one exactly like this on all the internet, just one in the same color scheme but without the body kit.
I bought it at auction from the original owner. I'll physically have it in my possession in around 2~ months.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Private track day with my pals, better than a day in the office :clint:.

Re71R are hax. Wilwood track/street pads are not good enough for the track.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So is getting a used GTI generally a bad idea? Any years in particular that have issues?

My xB got totaled so I'm going to be needing a new car, preferably a hatchback.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

I bought a 2011 mk6 about 2.5 years ago and it's been mostly perfect. Had a code pop up about a manifold problem, but vw had extended the warranty and it was fixed for free. Super smooth other than that. Though I did buy it with 32.5k miles. Just turned over to 66k and been loving it.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I just got one last week with about 50k on it. The PPI turned up no issues and it’s a joy to drive.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Used I'd go for a gti or a fiesta st, if the size isn't an issue. Both cars (unmodified) are stout as hell and shouldn't give you any problems until the 100k mark or so.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
As an addendum, I got the GTI because it has over 50 cu ft of cargo space which is more than other hot hatches (except the Golf R I guess); I think the FiST is significantly less though it’s a great car in all other respects from what I’ve seen.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Significantly less is an understatement. It's *tiny* for everyone but the front passenger and driver. Still managed to stuff a giant corner desk, chair, three shelving units, a sidetable, and TV stand from ikea into it my last trip.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I've sat in the Fiesta and it's just too small. Also I think the dash/infotainment layout is horrible, VW keeps it nice but simple I like that.

The only apprehension about the VW is reliability issues, I'm used to Toyota/Lexus reliability and don't want a car that's gonna nitpick at me with problems.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Sounds like the gti is your car then! About where in the country are you?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm in Florida. Tampa Bay area.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

So I took some sound recordings of the various exhaust tip configs as the work was being done the other day, driving the same route and in as close to the same manner as I could. The difference between the twin 3" droop tips (featuring a nicely-shaped collector feeding into them) and the single 2.5" pipe was just shy of 3dB in the cabin. I wish a single pipe looked good on these cars! As it stands, it looks like I'm going to end up with a fake twin tip made of two 2.5" pipes in a y config, one of which will be a dummy.

Hopefully when the sports cat goes on, starting out so quiet should mean the end result is just right.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Smoking cigars in your car sounds absolutely revolting, your car must smell like a dumpster fire

It in fact still smells vaguely new car-ish since that's a rare occurrence but I'm sure it's not great after I smoke one. I mostly like leaving the windows cracked in this Houston heat and not needing to run out into the kind of rain that soaks you before you make it 20' to roll them up. The cigar thing though is like if I need to go to Austin or Dallas for work on the way back I'm essentially a captive audience to my drive, might as well take advantage if I remembered to bring one or more with me in the first place. I do feel bad smoking over my cloth seats, too, but I'm going to disagree on their looks. I may trade my 2016 on a newer GTI soon, though, if I can find one I like, so I should probably take this shaming and run with it.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I’m the same way but with whiskey instead of cigars.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ah. Must have a tesla.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Is there somewhere that has a list of known issues with FK8 Type-R's?
I'm angling to get one in early 2020 but I'd like to know what I'm getting into

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So there's a new FiST at a local dealer for $18k with an original MSRP of $23.5k should I jump on it? Wasn't planning on driving one but that price seems too good not to try one out. Also gonna test drive a slightly used GTI tomorrow, a 2018 for $21k with 3k miles on it.

So far have driven a manual Corolla SE which was surprisingly good but a little slow for my liking, and a Jetta GLI because they didn't have any new GTIs with a manual. Sales person said the GLI was about as close as I could get and that car was really nice too. Almost too nice.

Has anyone here driven a FiST and GTI back to back?

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 20, 2019

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've owned both. A 2016 GTI 4dr and a 2015 FiST.
I bought the GTI new and paid full boat since it was a few weeks before diesel gate, sold it with 35k miles for $19.5k (iirc)
Bought the FiST for $13.5k with something like 17k miles and sold it for $13k with something like 30k miles (iirc)

They are different cars, but the FiST is more fun to drive, didn't make me paranoid about something breaking, had a much shittier ride / interior, and both got similar gas mileage. The Ford Sync drove me insane in the FiST. Unless you know you really like the FiST for what it is (econobox that is borderline nervous handling wise) then buy the GTI.

Hopefully the GTI has the LSD.

e: also, the non Recaro FiST seats suck and you need FiST seats if you want to swap and not have to deal with airbag fuckery. The FiST seats are more expensive used than Focus ST Recaros.
e2: I know you've mentioned the Si oil dilution issue, but you're doing yourself a disservice by not also driving one

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 20, 2019

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

BlackMK4 posted:

e2: I know you've mentioned the Si oil dilution issue, but you're doing yourself a disservice by not also driving one

Since I won't be taking my Si in for any oil dilution TSBs / recalls, I change my oil every 3000 miles and still smell a strong gas odor. Car is fun though, it's a lot like my FiST was in terms of driving enjoyment, except now it's also quite fast.

"Earth Dreams"

Shartweek fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 20, 2019

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

The 2016 fists can be retrofitted with sync3, and 2017+ I think its a standard option. Its not the pos that the 2015 models had, from what I gather.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

PaintVagrant posted:

The 2016 fists can be retrofitted with sync3, and 2017+ I think its a standard option. Its not the pos that the 2015 models had, from what I gather.

I’d have paid so much money for a panel that cleanly deleted the entire screen area and had a the basic radio somewhere :v:

Also there has been a second gen manual fit for sale locally
For a few weeks. Thinking about buying it, tossing some wheels / dampers on it and bolting on the Sprintex supercharger on it. Kinda like a Fit version of a Mini S

Either that or just buying a new Si. I’ve got the new toy itch bad.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

I’d have paid so much money for a panel that cleanly deleted the entire screen area and had a the basic radio somewhere :v:

Also there has been a second gen manual fit for sale locally
For a few weeks. Thinking about buying it, tossing some wheels / dampers on it and bolting on the Sprintex supercharger on it. Kinda like a Fit version of a Mini S

Either that or just buying a new Si. I’ve got the new toy itch bad.

Ill be honest you swap cars so much I dont know what you have now. I assume youve still got your s2000, and...?