Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Davros1 posted:

Brian Regan works clean and he's loving hilarious. I wouldn't say John Mulaney is a vulgar comedian either. Jim Gaffigan too.

Mulaney and Kroll are both amazing, hilarious, and seemingly empathic preformers.

If they ever get accused of anything, I'm just going to pack my bags and move to the woods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I just kinda resent that stand up comedians tend to think they’re above the fray when it comes to this stuff. Like some boozy comedian gets behind a mic and they’re giving carte blance to say whatever because comedy is so important or whatever.

I need to stop listening to these podcasts.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Davros1 posted:

Brian Regan works clean and he's loving hilarious. I wouldn't say John Mulaney is a vulgar comedian either. Jim Gaffigan too.

Mulaney doesn't go for shock but he drops probably a hundred F-bombs a show.

Chili posted:

Mulaney and Kroll are both amazing, hilarious, and seemingly empathic preformers.

The only time I've been able to stand Kroll is Oh, Hello! On Broadway. Otherwise, everything he's ever done is a complete non-starter for me. I mean, okay, The League got really bad, but it was hard for me to watch even from the beginning because of him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And Kroll isnt even the bad dude from the League.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

All stand up comedians should be thrown in a pit to die, hth

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pigbuster posted:

I don’t ever have to worry about Stewart Lee becoming dated/offensive because the only people he regularly rips into are stand-up comedians. Including himself.

I love his bit about "PC culture gone mad"

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Bust Rodd posted:

Going to a Dave Chapelle comedy show and then writing down all of his jokes as though they are real ideas that he is genuinely promoting is a bad look

Eh, that's not really the point, and this could be said about basically any comedian ever; Gilbert Gottfried doing the Aristocrates bit doesn't mean he supports incest either obviously. But at the same time, coinciding with the notion that the intrinsic nature of comedy may give comedians leaveway to say pretty much whatever they want on stage (which is a lower bar than the rest of us have to adhear to in normal discourse) is that what they say in the name of comedy is also held to an equally converse higher standard than our normal discourse in that it must always be funny and if it isnt then that comedian should get some new material or shut the gently caress up.

So the problem isnt that comedians make jokes about politics and society, that's been around forever and has given us some great bits and we wouldn't have the Daily Show, Colbert Report, or Last Week Tonight without it, the problem is that many of the political jokes being made by some of these comedians just arent even remotely funny and so they should rightly be told to shut the gently caress up.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 11, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

All stand up comedians should be thrown in a pit to die, hth

Don’t hurt John Mulaney.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

chitoryu12 posted:

Don’t hurt John Mulaney.

There’s a lot of stuff you can find on the Internet about John Mulaney being racist and then when comedians of color call him out he acts like super surprised every time like “what oh my gosh I’m so sorry” like multiple people in the industry and other writers at SNL have called him out on that sort of thing, you can find someone posting a lot about it in the Spiderman PS4 thread because black Twitter was bummed he was in Into the Spider-verse.

Kill all your heroes etc.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Does Chris Hardwick still have a career? If so, why?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

Does Chris Hardwick still have a career? If so, why?

Yes, AMC reinstated him after completing an "investigation" the accuser chose not to participate in (saying repeatedly she wanted to try to move on with her life, which is a big reason she went public in the first place, saying as much in the original statement: "I want this to be two things. Number One: Closure. I’m approaching my thirties, finding stability, and quite simply, I want this out of me."). Numerous staffers and the co-exec producer on Talking Dead quit in protest

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The "investigation" was run by a company owned by Patti Hearst. Hardwick is also married to Hearst's granddaughter. (Yeah, that Patti Hearst.)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

-Blackadder- posted:

Eh, that's not really the point, and this could be said about basically any comedian ever; Gilbert Gottfried doing the Aristocrates bit doesn't mean he supports incest either obviously. But at the same time, coinciding with the notion that the intrinsic nature of comedy may give comedians leaveway to say pretty much whatever they want on stage (which is a lower bar than the rest of us have to adhear to in normal discourse) is that what they say in the name of comedy is also held to an equally converse higher standard than our normal discourse in that it must always be funny and if it isnt then that comedian should get some new material or shut the gently caress up.

So the problem isnt that comedians make jokes about politics and society, that's been around forever and has given us some great bits and we wouldn't have the Daily Show, Colbert Report, or Last Week Tonight without it, the problem is that many of the political jokes being made by some of these comedians just arent even remotely funny and so they should rightly be told to shut the gently caress up.

Gilbert Gottfried is a good example because he's a real pro in the sense that he knows the game. I remember when he lost the Aflac gig for making a joke about tsunami victims, and he was like "hey I offended people because I made a bad joke that just didn't land at all and obviously that means I hosed up, so I gotta just accept it and move ahead."

Comedians know exactly what they're getting into when they decide to work with that kind of material. So when they bitch and moan about losing opportunities due to their mediocre/bad material offending people, it rings very hollow to me.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Detective No. 27 posted:

The "investigation" was run by a company owned by Patti Hearst. Hardwick is also married to Hearst's granddaughter. (Yeah, that Patti Hearst.)

Wasn't it literally Pinkertons?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just looked it up. It was a law firm called "Loeb & Loeb." I was wrong about Hearst owning them, they're merely the law firm that have represented the Hearts before. (So still just as biased.)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

chitoryu12 posted:

If there's anybody who has a sex scandal hidden and waiting to come out, it's Dan Nainan.

I saw him the other day and recognized him immediately (no, it was nowhere near a 7-11).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I like Jake Flores.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT4ZknrvF9U

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

It's not even that working clean is easier, it's not. It's probably harder to be funny if you work clean but the important thing is that it comes with no risk. Nobody cares if Jerry Seinfeld's new bit about Keurigs or whatever bombs, they forget about it 5 minutes later.

You're right, if working clean was easy, comedians like Brian Reagan, who's loving amazing despite being a clean working observational comic, wouldn't be as rare as hen's teeth.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Fox News contributor/host and former wrestler Tyrus https://www.huffpost.com/entry/fox-news-tyrus-britt-mchenry-text_n_5d277b6ce4b02a5a5d57cd13?jc

quote:

Tyrus, a Fox News contributor and a host on the network’s digital channel, Fox Nation, sent lewd and inappropriate text messages to his now-former Fox Nation co-host, Britt McHenry, according to four sources familiar with the texts’ contents.

The messages, which have not previously been reported, include texts where Tyrus said to McHenry: “Just pull your boobs out now why don’t you. Just grin and bare it” and “keep being negative and I’ll send you another dick pic.”

In June, The Daily Beast reported that Tyrus was pulled off the show he co-hosted with McHenry, after McHenry complained to the network about him. In a second story, The Daily Beast reported that McHenry’s complaint included a claim of sexual harassment against Tyrus.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Didn't he also make a big stink out of not getting his own show?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Apparently he was also an rear end in the small role he had in season 1 of GLOW (he and Carly Colon played the brothers of one of the main characters), so they didn't bring him back for season 2.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Just, as a thought experiment, can anyone name a single big name female comedian who works clean? Like I feel like Tig Notaro is the only one currently working, I can't think a single other working woman in comedy who doesn't have a large body of gross or extremely sexual material. Maybe Hannah Gadsby?

Also if working clean is so easy, then why are there only like 3 clean comedians (Brian Regan, Jim Gaffigan, ?) and every other comedian swears?

Finally, food for thought: Bill Cosby was famously super clean and in fact dedicated the daytime parts of his life to rallying against that type of material and chiding other comedians for being dirty.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Bust Rodd posted:

Just, as a thought experiment, can anyone name a single big name female comedian who works clean? Like I feel like Tig Notaro is the only one currently working, I can't think a single other working woman in comedy who doesn't have a large body of gross or extremely sexual material.

Big is pretty subjective, but Paula Poundstone's act always seemed pretty clean.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Just, as a thought experiment, can anyone name a single big name female comedian who works clean? Like I feel like Tig Notaro is the only one currently working, I can't think a single other working woman in comedy who doesn't have a large body of gross or extremely sexual material. Maybe Hannah Gadsby?

Also if working clean is so easy, then why are there only like 3 clean comedians (Brian Regan, Jim Gaffigan, ?) and every other comedian swears?

Finally, food for thought: Bill Cosby was famously super clean and in fact dedicated the daytime parts of his life to rallying against that type of material and chiding other comedians for being dirty.

Maria Bamford swears VERY occasionally and her material is largely about her family and her mental health and is a fairly big name.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 12, 2019

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Bust Rodd posted:

Maria Bamford's standup is clean, with most of her material focused on mental health and doing voices.

e;fb

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

GrandpaPants posted:

Big is pretty subjective, but Paula Poundstone's act always seemed pretty clean.

lmao

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/jesserodriguez/status/1149518171407175680?s=21
About drat time

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Basebf555 posted:

I feel like I've made variations of this same post like 5 times now itt but it's 100% true. This has always been a part of stand-up comedy, it's why guys who make their living on the edge and maybe give up the chance to do sitcoms or corporate gigs are more respected among comedians. It's because you know you're taking a risk, it takes more confidence because you need to be very very sure that your material is actually funny. If it isn't, you get poo poo on. That's the way it is and it's the way it's always been.

i generally tend to take a very anti-"comedians who complain about PC culture" stance and when stuff goes down like what happened with Daniel Tosh a few years back, I generally take the side of the person who says "hey maybe you shouldn't be telling that joke". I also love Anthony Jeselnik and think he's probably the best comedian working today who gets away with jokes that really push the envelope because, and i cannot stress this enough, he is very good at what he does. I'm sure sometime in the next few years he'll start to decline and either go away or do a Full Dice, but i saw a quote from him a couple weeks ago that gave me hope:

quote:

You push back on people who are like, “Political correctness is killing comedy.”
I wouldn’t have anything to do. It’s like saying, “Is the football ruining the NFL?” No, you need the loving thing to play the game. You need to have it. I love political correctness. I love it. I support every piece of it. I don’t care if they go too far. It’s the only way I get to do what I do.

You took out a joke about hate crimes pretty late in the process. How would you then describe your personal line and how it’s evolved?
I’m 40 years old now. I’m not the same person I was when I started comedy at 23. Stephen Colbert had a quote, like, when you’re young and edgy, everything is funny, and then the horrible things you’re joking about start to happen to people that you love. My dad suffers from psoriasis. If someone made a joke about psoriasis, I wouldn’t laugh, but I wouldn’t be upset. But as I get older and more mature, I think of things differently. Also, I’ve already done it. It’s like, Why do you not make rape jokes anymore? Because I had a loving special where I did five of them, and then I read the [Jon Krakauer] book Missoula. And I was like, I don’t think I think this is as funny as I did back then. Is there a line in comedy? I used to say no. And now I say there are a million of them. Everybody’s got one. I don’t give a gently caress about yours. It’s my line that I worry about.

Even the dude who has basically staked his career on being The Guy Who Crosses The Line knows that having political correctness is important, and that knowing where the line is and knowing how to cross it leads to much better results than just saying "oh there is no line" and making GBS threads out bits that suck.

Here's the bit that the article those quotes came from highlighted. It starts out very familiar, especially from more "anti-PC" people and then takes a turn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-dp3UgBrcA

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 12, 2019

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bust Rodd posted:

Just, as a thought experiment, can anyone name a single big name female comedian who works clean?

There's a whole bunch of people out there who have a kneejerk stance of "I just don't find female comedians funny" and one of the ways that female comedians push past that is to work blue because it's "un-feminine".
It's dumb bullshit but it's just the reality of the industry.

Also swearing is fun!

Edit: tangentially related, one of the shittier 2 EDGY 4 U / FREEZE PEACH comedy rooms in my city once decided to hold a comedy debate a few years ago with the topic "Rape jokes can still be funny". All the the advertised 'debaters' were men.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jul 12, 2019

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

oh lol was he not under arrest this whole time? Magical.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

What the gently caress did she actually do anyway? The Wikipedia is extremely unenlightening.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

GrandpaPants posted:

porfiria posted:

What the gently caress did she actually do anyway? The Wikipedia is extremely unenlightening.

La Times Article Regarding Her Child Abuse Allegations

The LA Times posted:

E Entertainer Paula Poundstone, an adoptive and foster parent who has been a fixture on the stand-up comedy scene for 20 years, pleaded no contest Wednesday to one count of felony child abuse and a misdemeanor charge of inflicting injury upon a child.

So maybe all clean comedians are child molesting super monsters? (Jim Gaffigan is probably a good dad but Brian Regan could easily have a basement full of human meat)

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I think the pretty solid rule is just don’t make the punchline “and then someone got raped.” Like, that’s offensive because it’s a hot button issue about a crime that’s woefully underaddressed, but it’s also just lovely comedy. It’s not funny to have a joke that’s just “and then someone got murdered,” which is the reason I don’t read Ctrl+Alt+Del. It always bugs me when someone’s like “well you wouldn’t be so mad if someone made a murder joke” when if they told it in the way lovely rape jokes are told, yeah I absolutely would be, look at Joan Rivers ever talking about Palestine.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

oh lol was he not under arrest this whole time? Magical.

He was arrested for state charges before, this is federal charges now.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
A bit more detail on Kelly

https://exclaim.ca/music/article/r_kelly_arrested_on_federal_sex_charges_in_chicago

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

porfiria posted:

Iirc it was all dumb alcoholic shenanigans, driving drunk with kids in the car, etc, and no further events since (court-ordered) rehab.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/1149760922501693440

I have never of this band ever but here is content

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
They're fairly popular up here. The lead singer was runner up on Canadian Idol and I think they've won multiple Junos.

I had quite a few FB friends post embarrassing nonsense when the allegations first came out, like pictures of their children upset that a concert had people protesting it, numerous petitions, and this: https://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainmen..._kUc3UjQ9MNvniU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1149952126564495360

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The most important part of horrific sex crime is the documentation really because if you were under investigation for child sex trafficking for almost half your life the really critical element has got to be producing as much evidence as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The guy who literally had a sex tape with an underage girl is making sex tapes with underage girls? If only there was some way we could have foreseen and prevented this abuse.