Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hey, your boss could be prevented by some rule thats well above his and his +1's paygrade to change hence them being blocked by HR

this is actually even more reason to leave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gee I hope I don't run out of money before I get a job. I've been on three interviews this week so maybe this will finally be my time

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

pathetic little tramp posted:

It really doesn't help that most of my job is looking for problems in other peoples' code and you see the people getting paid more than you are not really meriting their level of pay. Today I'm looking at a piece of code that is used literally company-wide and what's the first line? var foo = eval(bar). I about poo poo myself.

love the tech industry enshrining roles that primarily write new code as some sort of ubermensch who must be paid more than all other roles, while also eliminating independent QA

the pay thing maybe works for faang who can afford to pay a premium for devs that write less lovely code the first go round, but their pulling up market rate pay sure as hell hasnt done any favors for the code quality of the rest of the market

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hobbesmaster posted:

hey, your boss could be prevented by some rule thats well above his and his +1's paygrade to change hence them being blocked by HR

this is actually even more reason to leave

it doesn't matter who actually pulls the trigger: your boss, your +1, your +2. it's all the same. somebody has the authority. hr doesn't run the company. policy written by hr doesn't matter to anyone outside of hr.

the point is that these folks have chosen not to pull the trigger

when you ask for a raise, whether off-cycle or not, your boss has two choices:
  1. do the necessary

(either file paperwork under his own authority, or escalate)

2. shunt request to hr

any time #2 happens, that was a hard "no," and nothing that came out of hr's mouth ever mattered

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
My boss tried to pick option 3: Say, "I know what HR's answer will be, so I won't even ask," finally relent when I insisted they ask anyway, then gently caress off on vacation for two weeks, probably hoping I'll forget about it.

Spoiler alert: I will not forget about it.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

CPColin posted:

My boss tried to pick option 3: Say, "I know what HR's answer will be, so I won't even ask," finally relent when I insisted they ask anyway, then gently caress off on vacation for two weeks, probably hoping I'll forget about it.

Spoiler alert: I will not forget about it.

this was also a hard "no" and he didn't even try to cushion the blow

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
unless you work in the hr department, your boss doesn't report to hr

if your boss comes back to you and says "your +2 said no" that implies he escalated and failed to press his suit. it sucks real bad, but at least you know where your boss stands on things

if your boss comes back to you and says something about hr, that means "gently caress you"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if your boss comes back to you and says something about hr, that means "gently caress you"
"youre important to my team and the company, but not important enough for me to fight to get you a raise. i hope this clarifies where you sit in my, and the companys, estimation."

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

HR doesn't make company decisions outside of "how do we best legally protect the company and get workers what they need (besides money) to make the company more money"

Your boss referring to HR is blatant cowardice, if not contempt for you and your request

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Man, if only there were a way to make sure all employees got regular raises that were in line, if not better, than local inflation
:thunk:

But that said, yeah, HR is there to give plausible deniability for the company and your boss. They are not your friend. Any time you are interacting with HR beyond your first few days there is a bad sign, even indirectly like this*.

*ok, one applicable HR interaction that's not bad is "hey, my name got changed because", such as transitioning and marriage.

iospace fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 11, 2019

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

FMguru posted:

"youre important to my team and the company, but not important enough for me to fight to get you a raise. i hope this clarifies where you sit in my, and the companys, estimation."

Yep. I think my boss also assumed I was asking for special treatment when I asked for more vacation time and the option to work from home, when really I think giving employees only two weeks a year is a loving travesty and nobody should be given so little time off. Boss also started talking about how if everybody were working from home, certain things wouldn't get done, because every manager around here is a loving coward, incapable of providing discipline, I guess.

Anyway, I'm going to press the issue after they get back from vacation.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

CPColin posted:

the thing you should be pressing is the "search jobs" button on linkedin

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

FMguru posted:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

FMguru posted:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

FMguru posted:

Mods, please.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

FMguru posted:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

FMguru posted:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FMguru posted:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

FMguru posted:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

FMguru posted:

ratbert90 posted:

Mods, please.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

CPColin posted:

Yep. I think my boss also assumed I was asking for special treatment when I asked for more vacation time and the option to work from home, when really I think giving employees only two weeks a year is a loving travesty and nobody should be given so little time off. Boss also started talking about how if everybody were working from home, certain things wouldn't get done, because every manager around here is a loving coward, incapable of providing discipline, I guess.

I get that you work outside of a main city and can't move and are also comfortable with seniority in your job, after reading this saga in this and the techbubble thread my friend you are getting taken advantage of. There are sites and companies that like to pick up remote workers and you should try and seek them out. You should have an especially easy time since your standards are so low.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I know, I just have no self-respect.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

if Ciphas can do it, you can tooo~

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bhodi posted:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

if Ciphas can do it, you can tooo~

that's a hell of a backhand

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

interview with global head of professional services in a few hours. doing this on pto while in the caribbean is the best. my mind is totally clear

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Rex-Goliath posted:

my mind is totally clear

quote:

The Colonel is not crazy. The man is clear in his mind, but his soul is mad.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:hmmyes:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

thank u garph

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

hail jraph

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

call went really well. he’s actually gonna be passing through singapore in a few weeks so we’re gonna try to grab coffee when he does. ended the call saying he’d be setting me up with another conversation with their tech guy just to make sure i’m not a fraud. v nice

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
got asked business and marketing research questions during my sys admin interview, and scrutinized for several minutes about making a career change. interviewing is dogshit garbage

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

hiring sucks. someone help me out by being a good candidate. we are a sports analytics startup in Barcelona looking to hire several developers (basically doubling in size). unfortunately we cannot do visa sponsorship but if you are allowed to work in the EU, PM me.

skills we need are data science and various backend/devops/cloud stuff like setting up databases, web services, streaming video, etc, but we will also be opening front-end positions in the fall so feel free to get in touch for that too if you're feeling proactive. anyways if you have some combination of skills we need we can tailor a position for you. hell, maybe you can even choose your title (no ninja bullshit)

small team, greenfield project, Barcelona, football. lmk if you want to know more

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
since you're in the EU, why not share your salary range, so us american devs can laugh at it

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

:negative: yep, there's the rub. we're pre-revenue so we have a hard time even competing with the local market (although we are trying to stay in line with our offers)

40 - 50 is the range we're shooting for. max we can afford is 60K total comp in case there's someone we want at all costs.

so much for getting the candidate to give a number first

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Wait, aren't US citizens eligible to work in the EU without a work visa, but they have to get a work/residence permit from the EU country when they get there?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

yeah I guess the thing we can't do is the work permit not the visa
http://spainguru.es/residency-options/
and I guess technically you can arrive without the permit, it doesn't really work out that way given the timeframes involved

I'm a US citizen myself. As co-founder of the company, with a PhD in a relevant field, it took us 8 months and several tries to get my work permit approved.

It sucks but we can't be confident we'd be successful and we don't have that kind of time anyway.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Yeah drat that sucks. I have a friend who comes from the world of sports analytics and speaks a little Catalan who I know is looking for something different, but that work permit thing is probably too messy.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

DELETE CASCADE posted:

since you're in the EU, why not share your salary range, so us american devs can laugh at it

i not only went to university for free but got a stipend of 6k DKK while doing it

laugh away

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Yeah, my wife has 2 degrees, I have 1 and we have exactly zero debt, even after some medical emergencies. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

SurgicalOntologist posted:

hiring sucks. someone help me out by being a good candidate. we are a sports analytics startup in Barcelona looking to hire several developers (basically doubling in size). unfortunately we cannot do visa sponsorship but if you are allowed to work in the EU, PM me.

skills we need are data science and various backend/devops/cloud stuff like setting up databases, web services, streaming video, etc, but we will also be opening front-end positions in the fall so feel free to get in touch for that too if you're feeling proactive. anyways if you have some combination of skills we need we can tailor a position for you. hell, maybe you can even choose your title (no ninja bullshit)

small team, greenfield project, Barcelona, football. lmk if you want to know more

Do you actually need a data scientist or do you really need a data engineer who can put together some analytics? You'll get fairly different candidates despite how close the roles seem.