Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Apparently Kovalev’s team received an offer for a Canelo fight but don’t think they’ll be able to work out details in time to justify not taking the Yarde fight.

I’m no manager or whatever, but I can’t help but feel they should’ve prioritizing Canelo here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Apparently Kovalev’s team received an offer for a Canelo fight but don’t think they’ll be able to work out details in time to justify not taking the Yarde fight.

I’m no manager or whatever, but I can’t help but feel they should’ve prioritizing Canelo here.

I imagine that if Kovalev chooses to fight Canelo instead of Yarde (his mandatory), he’d be stripped of his title, which in turn would mean that Canelo would probably have 0 interest in fighting him.

Canelo knows this of course, which makes me think he’s throwing out the names of Kovalev and Callum Smith with no actual intention of fighting either guy, at least not for his next fight.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Cigar Aficionado posted:

I imagine that if Kovalev chooses to fight Canelo instead of Yarde (his mandatory), he’d be stripped of his title, which in turn would mean that Canelo would probably have 0 interest in fighting him.

Canelo knows this of course, which makes me think he’s throwing out the names of Kovalev and Callum Smith with no actual intention of fighting either guy, at least not for his next fight.

I've come around to thinking that Canelo will fight Andrade. There's no way Andrade can adjust his style to win a decision and it's not like he's going to hit Canelo that much anyways. And he'll get more credit than if he crushes Munguia which at least somewhat still seems to matter him.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 5, 2019

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Well it’s already been proven that Canelo can legitimately lose 8 or 9 rounds and at least eke out a draw on the official judges’ scorecards, if not a 7-5 win, so I agree that he’d be open to fighting Andrade. Andrade has limited power and 0 finishing ability, so he’s not particularly dangerous, despite being highly skilled.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Tyson Fury is saying that he's signed the contract for a rematch against Deontay Wilder, for February 22nd 2020.

December through February will be a division altering three months for the heavyweight division, which could possibly set up future, major unification fights later in 2020.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Tyson Fury is saying that he's signed the contract for a rematch against Deontay Wilder, for February 22nd 2020.

December through February will be a division altering three months for the heavyweight division, which could possibly set up future, major unification fights later in 2020.

gently caress yes.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

also, The Ring Magazine got the guy who made Hajime no Ippo to draw this month's cover

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yessss

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

That’s super rad. Maybe this is just me but that doesn’t look like Inoue to me.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Man, Mike looks oooold in this:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BzrC8BjgCTa/

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Cigar Aficionado posted:

This will add some drama to the Wilder-Ortiz match along with whoever Tyson Fury will be fighting this fall (possibly Big Baby Miller?). I think it's smart these two are doing it this way, it's risky but it's also a solid way to promote these guys individually and drum up some casual fan interest in the rematch.

From what I've seen on Manny's Instagram he looks sharp and ready for Thurman, of course those are the clips his camp is putting out but I think I'm rolling with Manny in that fight, his movement is unlike anyone Keith's fought even in 2019.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbUfIqOZfV8

New video up from Boxing Legends TV on the current state of the Heavyweight division, good stuff, introduced a pretty casual fan like me to some up and coming fighters.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Jack B Nimble posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbUfIqOZfV8

New video up from Boxing Legends TV on the current state of the Heavyweight division, good stuff, introduced a pretty casual fan like me to some up and coming fighters.

hey he's back.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Speaking of new videos SB Nation has a rewind- the best sport series on Youtube imo- of Tyson-Douglas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4rHtSlaHqg

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I just realized I know a lot more about women's mma than boxing, which is wierd because I like boxing more as a spectator. Links to important/ good fights? All I know Ali's daughter was wrecking poo poo for a while, I saw her fighting someone callled...the coal miner's daughter?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Ali was good but she ducked Ann Wolfe, who was probably the best at the time but never received the media attention of Ali.

Women’s boxing isn’t as much of as a thing as WMMA, the bouts are shorter, 2 minute rounds with a max of 10 rounds and aren’t generally promoted as much.

The big female boxers at the moment are Claressa Shields, Katie Taylor and Cecelia Braekhaus.

Claressa Shields has dominated two weight classes now and has moved down to conquer a third. Her fights with Hanna Gabriels and Christina Hammer are good watches.

Katie Taylor is a British hype job who just got a gift decision against Delfine Persoon. If you want to watch a Taylor fight, that’s the only time she fought somebody good, so that’s the one to watch.

Cecilia Braekhaus has been in the pro game longer than the other two and has been a dominate champion for quite some time. For good portions of time she’s been the only unified champion in boxing. She’s good, but never seems to have competent enough opposition to trouble her.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Thanks, I've got a long weekend coming up and can get caught up. It's a shame the rules and promotions leave women's boxing less popular, guys at my gym talk about the technique of women's mma fighters with nothing but respect, it was pleasantly surprising.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Khan fighting in Saudi Arabia this Friday. It seems like every year or other year we hear about some multimillion dollar fight deal for a fight in Saudi Arabia, I think this is the first "big" fight I can think of happening there though.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

He’s fighting Billy Dib though, a regional lightweight fighter.

E: I felt like I was being harsh, checked boxrec again and realized that calling him a lightweight is being pretty generous actually, given that his most recent win of significance was at featherweight

Jump King fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 11, 2019

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Well yeah it's not a good fight lol. But Khan is a fairly big name for the sport and I can't think of anyone as notable going to Saudi Arabia for a fight. Other Khan fights have been talked about there and I know Manny has gotten offers a few times to fight there (or at least that's what has been reported) so I'm kinda interested just in seeing how this event plays out. When I think Saudi Arabia I don't really think "boxing."

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

George Groves vs Callum Smith was in Saudi Arabia too, so they're definitely working on it.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Khan's making noises about making Saudi Arabia into the new Vegas or Atlantic City. Like, a proper fight destination.

Sure.

Okay.

Have fun with that.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
the Saudi government are investing heavily in sports events as a kind of domestic and international public relations campaign, expect more of this

anyway Murata KO'd Rob Brant in a two round war, I always thought the first fight was a blip for Murata but never expected this performance.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I was completely blown away. I thought Brant exposed Murata in the first fight. I’m not going to say Murata fixed everything that went wrong exactly, one of his big problems last time was stamina and this fight ended before we saw that come in to play, but overall just a much better performance.

It’ll be interesting to see where Brant goes from here.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Brant should have taken what DAZN offered and cashed out against Golovkin

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
I saw Brant get schooled by old man Jurgen Braehmer so I was never that sold on him

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

I just realized I know a lot more about women's mma than boxing, which is wierd because I like boxing more as a spectator.

Same tbh. I've been getting into it more over the past couple of years. I think I started getting into it more with the kovalev vs ward 1 fight and having been watching the big matches ever since. I still am trying to understand it, the videos and articles you guys link are very helpful, thank you.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The channel isn't so active anymore, and if you've been around since Ward vs Kovalev you almost certainly know about it, but I won't miss a chance to mention Lee Wylie's channel. Here's the first video, which replaces the overly simplistic "rope a dope" explanation of Ali's win over Foreman with something that elevates both fighters.

https://youtu.be/G1_JW3wnrik

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Joyce - Jennings & Dubois - Gorman are a couple of potentially entertaining Heavyweight scraps on BT Sport in the UK tonight.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

biglads posted:

Joyce - Jennings & Dubois - Gorman are a couple of potentially entertaining Heavyweight scraps on BT Sport in the UK tonight.

Yeah, lots of decent, under the radar cards today. I did a big write up in the discord on all them. I guess I'll transfer them here, but they're probably typo filled since I tried to hammer them out quickly.

quote:

ESPN+, 2:45 ET

Daniel Dubois (11-0, 10 KO) vs Nathan Gorman (16-0, 11 KO), heavyweights, 12 rounds
Joe Joyce (9-0, 9 KO) vs Bryant Jennings (24-3, 14 KO), heavyweights, 12 rounds
Liam Williams (20-2-1, 15 KO) vs Karim Achour (27-5-3, 4 KO), middleweights, 12 rounds
Archie Sharp (15-0, 8 KO) vs Jordan McCorry (18-5-1, 4 KO), super featherweights, 10 rounds

Dubois is a rising British heavyweight, he skipped going the olympic route and turned pro ASAP, as a result this 22 year old is pretty raw, but he has talent and crazy strength
Gorman is a domestic British heavyweight who has a bit more experience but is similarly untested. There's a lot less hype around Gorman, because he doesn't quite seem to have that special something Dubois might have, but at this point in their careers, this is a true 50-50 fight.

Joe Joyce is another british heavyweight, he's looking to turn his silver medal placement in the 2016 olympics into a serious pro career, but at 33 years old, he needs to convert that quickly. His opponent, the capable Bryant Jennings, is basically settling down into a high level gatekeeper role at the moment. This is a fight that Joyce should win if he's as good as he says, but Jennings is a tough test: Only Klitschko, Ortiz and Rivas have beaten him before.

Liam Williams is a middleweight now, whatever, he's a scrapper and will probably put together a fun fight against his journeyman opponent

IDK who the last guy is on this list but I guess it's a british prospect in a showcase fight.

quote:

DAZN, 7pm ET

This undercard features a bunch of prospects in fights ranging from showcase bouts, to various levels of step up fights. It's the type of card you watch in full so that in a few years when one of these guys wins a title you say "Oh yeah I've always been a fan of that guy" I'm sure there will be a mix of duds and impressive displays.

There are two fights with significance at the top of the card though:
Rey Vargas (33-0, 22 KO) vs Tomoki Kameda (36-2, 20 KO), super bantamweights, 12 rounds
Diego De La Hoya (21-0, 10 KO) vs Ronny Rios (30-3, 14 KO), super bantamweights, 12 rounds

Rey Vargas is not only the P4P best Vargas in boxing right now, he might be the best guy at 122 too, but it's really hard to say. The division is pretty open right now, with a few titlists and high level challengers hanging around, and nobody is winning their fights in a dominant enough fashion to be the man. Vargas is in the discussion to win it all though, in particular because of his large size for the division. Kameda is a good challenger, a legitimate one, but he's a clear underdog in this fight. There's potential for an upset here, as Rey Vargas often looks somewhat vulnerable. On the flipside, if Vargas can dominate this fight it would help shake away some of the criticism he's faced. Vargas has a significant reach advantage in this fight.

Diego De La Hoya is a decent prospect, but there's always a bit of tension in his career as he's been a very carefully matched fighter. He's obviously successfully cashing in on his name (he's Oscar's nephew iirc) and stepping up to become a titlist would be great for that brand, while a loss against less that top quality opposition would be devastating. He's sort of at the end of his prospect road here, and the implication of putting him as the cofeature on a championship fight in his division isn't lost. He's fighting Ronny Rios, who lost a decision to Rey Vargas 2 years back. Rios is a good, but not great fighter. If Diego wants to live up to the hype he has to win this fight, and he wants to win it in impressive fashion. That'll be difficult to do since he's not really a power puncher at all. Rios also has stakes here, a loss basically locks him into a gatekeeper position, but a win could get him back on track to challenge for a title again.

quote:

ESPN+, 7pm

Here's another prospect card, thankfully the main event and cofeature are more articulately separated (10:30 ET)
I only recognize one name on the prospect part of the card, but here's a fun fact: All of the prospects on the is undercard have names starting with J or V, amazing! Vijender Singh is the one guy I recognize here, he's a bit of an oddball fighter with a strange life and career trajectory, but here he is on an ESPN card to watch so I'll probably try to catch him. He's notable for being one of the only fighters in the surprisingly untapped Indian fight market. I suspect we'll see some fighters from that region make big waves soon. I don't think Singh will be one of them.

ESPN, 10:30
Shakur Stevenson (11-0, 6 KO) vs Alberto Guevara (27-4, 12 KO), featherweights, 10 rounds
Joshua Greer Jr (20-1-1, 12 KO) vs Nikolai Potapov (20-1-1, 11 KO), bantamweights, 12 rounds

I'm not going to pretend I know who Greer or Potapov are, but Shakur Stevenson is a notable american prospect who won a silver medal at the Olympics (yay! great job!) and more recently got into hot water after security cam footage showed him and his friends beating up on some random guys and girls in a parking lot (boo! we hate that!)

Stevenson is a young fighter, and still in the slow burn part of his career where he's making easy work out of guys with puffy records. Expect this to be the same.

quote:

FS1, 8pm ET

Jamal James (25-1, 12 KO) vs Antonio DeMarco (33-7-1, 24 KO), welterweights, 10 rounds
Robert Helenius (28-2, 17 KO) vs Gerald Washington (19-3-1, 12 KO), heavyweights, 10 rounds
Charles Martin (26-2-1, 23 KO) vs Daniel Martz (18-6-1, 15 KO), heavyweights, 10 rounds

Jamal James is a welterweight prospect on the PBC team, which means if he breaks through and looks good enough, he has a wealth of potential guys to challenge (Spence, Thurman, Pacquiao, Garcia, Garcia, Porter, Ugas, Broner, Vargas etc) He has one loss, Ugas in 2016, which was a loss that didn't look great at the time, but since then Ugas has gone on a tear, most recently bringing Porter to a disputed split decision. Now he's fighting Antonio DeMarco in a bit of a crossroads fight. In his best days, DeMarco was doing rad poo poo like upsetting Jorge Linares or thrashing John Molina Jr. He's decidedly past his best days now, but he won't lose to just anybody. Losses to guys like Jessie Vargas, Rances Barthelemy, Omar Figueroa Jr and Maxim Dadashev aren't terrible and his knockout of Eddie Ramirez shows he can still bust prospects. So the question is if Jamal James is more like the first group of guys or the second. He's been upset before, so who knows.

Robert Helenius is generously a B tier heavyweight, euro-level as we might say. He's up against Gerald Washington, a good fighter with craft, who is decidedly below the top level, as clear losses to the likes Deontay Wilder, Adam Kownacki and Jarrell Miller show. Helenius isn't as good as those guys, but is he better than Washington? Maybe! this is a pretty even fight in my opinion, and it's a heavyweight fight, so B level big dudes going at it is often entertaining. Neither of these guys have great KO percentages though, so it could easily turn into a miserable, slow fight.
One time I placed a bet that Charles Martin would win a title against Glazkov, a then undefeated guy at the top of the IBF rankings. The odds were really long because Glazkov was a better fighter, but a few rounds into the bout he slipped on the mat and suffered a career ending leg injury. Martin was declared the winner and in the post fight interview laughed about the injury and said "I hit guys so hard, their legs break" Anyway the point of this story is that I won a very stupid bet for stupid reasons and now Charles Martin can do no wrong for me, so I don't care that he's fighting a guy who seems like he gets paid in hot beef sandwiches to get knocked out

Wow check out all the content in the discord: https://discord.gg/FUmR3An

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It might get lost amidst everything else, but Kovalev-Yarde was just announced for August 24th, which is a pretty big deal given that he was one of the potential opponents getting floated for Canelo's september fight.

I think the walls are sort of closing in on Canelo now. His team has at least made the outward appearance of wanting somebody other than Golovkin, but there are fewer and fewer alternatives available for him. There's talk of Munguia, which would be an obviously bad fight. The other choice would be fighting Andrade, but I feel like the GGG fight is inevitable.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

quote:

There's a lot less hype around Gorman, because he doesn't quite seem to have that special something Dubois might have, but at this point in their careers, this is a true 50-50 fight.

Stopped in the fifth round. Dubois looked very convincing, Gorman barely troubled him.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I spaced out on bookmarking this edition of the thread, and thus I've been out of the loop for all of this year, and only thought to check in when I decided to pick up a random fight and watch some punching - and goddamn, did I pick a doozy - Bobby Chacon-Bazooka Limon IV, Fight of the Year 1982. This was a fight like the NBA All-Star Game: no defense, constant shots. Both fighters looking like they're going down for the count multiple times, and it's not until the thirteenth that you can see the tide swing seriously in the direction of one fighter over the other, they both come back from absolutely unreasonable punishment before that exchange. I haven't been wowed by a fight like I have with this in a long, long time. I beg of you to watch it. There's so many punches, I got tired just looking at them being thrown, it's ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu85wY55as8

I don't know what it is where I really like digging up older fights, it's not really nostalgia, I didn't even have a passing interest in the sport until the nineties, and even then, my interest was on the level of "oh, there's a fight on, sure, I'll watch." But here I'll be, downloading fights from the 70s-90s like the moment I see the entry on the tracker. I should catch up with whatever's been big this year, as I haven't even seen the headlines, so I'm unspoiled on any big fights we might have had in the last few months.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Torquemada posted:

Stopped in the fifth round. Dubois looked very convincing, Gorman barely troubled him.

Yeah, I regret writing the 50-50 thing cause I didn’t know much about Gorman but a lot of boxing media people were saying he was going to win. Great performance by Dubois. I wrote that he was 22, but he’s actually 21, so he’s in no rush to get to the top, but after something like that people are going to want to push him there.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Pernell Whitaker died last night from injuries sustained after he was hit by a car. He was 55 years old. "Sweet Pea" was considered to be one of the best of his era even if he didn't always get the nod of the judges in close fights, and frequently gets considered as among the greatest fighters of all time. Whitaker was an Olympic gold medalist and won titles in four weight classes from lightweight (135 lb) to super welterweight (154 lb). He was Fighter of the Year in 1989 and was considered pound for pound #1 between 1993 and 1997, with a defensive style that would go on to inspire Floyd Mayweather and countless others. His notable opponents included Jose Luis Ramirez, Julio Cesar Chavez, Oscar De La Hoya, Greg Haugen and Felix Trinidad. Rest in peace.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Fuuuck. Just walking at an intersection.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

He dominated during a time when I myself trained and was still a fan, before the alphabet and politics killed my passion for even following the sport.

At the time I was a massive fan of his defensive style, he seemed so different to the other top boxers and it made him one of the last boxers I truly followed before my attention went to other sports.

Rest in peace, truly one of the most underrated legends of boxing.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

This sucks.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

drat that is some poo poo. Pernell gave us some great fights and his style was fantastic to watch. Going to look up some of his old fights to watch after work today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

KidDynamite posted:

drat that is some poo poo. Pernell gave us some great fights and his style was fantastic to watch. Going to look up some of his old fights to watch after work today.

watch the Chavez fight, it'll make you love good defensive boxing and hate Don King more