Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
cool cool cool cool cool my OG OP was borked so now all we have is this

Hi, is a relative harassing you via welfare checks? Kindly read the below!

CuwiKhons posted:

Here's what you're going to do:

1. Either call the non-emergency line or go in to their front desk at the PD if you're feeling bold. If you'd rather just call, you can also tell them you don't need face-to-face contact. Depending on how seriously your town is taking COVID, they might or might not be under orders to stick to phone contact only unless the complainant (you) specifically requests they physically show up.
2. Explain the situation calmly. Have all your information ready - your address, your work address if your parents might send the cops there, a phone number they can reach you at, your parents' information and what they're likely to say about you to try to get a police response.
3. Like Uncle Enzo said, give just enough details about your parents to make it clear that they're irrational and they are not simply 'concerned about their child'. They are harassing you. Do not give details like "I used to be depressed but I'm fine now." Don't give them anything that can be used by your parents to justify their 'concern'.
4. If they use a database system anywhere even close to the one my local PD uses, ask them if they can put a hotfile or note on your residence about the situation so that any cop who receives a call to check on you will pull up the address and see the note letting them know what's likely happening. Our local PD puts notes on residences all the time - IE, this person stockpiles guns, the person who lives here has dementia, this person keeps getting swatted by lovely gamers, etc.
5. If they ask if you want them to call your parents and tell them to cut it out, say no. Your parents will almost certainly see that as escalation.
6. They will probably suggest you get an injunction or something. If you haven't looked into that, consider it? If you have and it's not the way you want to handle things, just tell them that.
7. You're going to have to accept that in certain cases, your local PD is legally obliged to check up on you depending on what your parents say. If they say "Our son just sent us a message that he's going to hang himself!" then they're obliged to ensure you're not doing that. However if they already know your parents are nutso, you can probably convince them to just call you. As long as you're calm on the phone, they'll probably let it go.

If you now live in a very small town, unfortunately the odds are good that if your parents do this often, the cops are going to Know Who You Are. This sucks but as long as you can paste on a smile where necessary, the cops will probably just think of you as "that guy whose parents are loving bananas."

Good luck!

teen witch fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

this should be way up the threads alley

http://www.issendai.com/psychology/estrangement/

i always dug the parent estranged PoV over the "child of narcissist" narratives cause theyre like nuggetized boomer madness

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Not gonna lie a few years ago I came across the issendai thing, maybe from another thread here, and it hit me how much it explained and matched a family members behavior and booooooy howdy does that mean I probably wont be back to this thread much since thinking about them causes a real skyrocket of the ol blood pressure.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm ready for more select posts!!

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

The grand-kid thing is so hosed. These people simply have to place themselves in the role of victim and continue their pity party. They completely remove their own relationship with their child from the equation and make it completely about how their grandchild is being kept from them.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Barudak posted:

Not gonna lie a few years ago I came across the issendai thing, maybe from another thread here, and it hit me how much it explained and matched a family members behavior and booooooy howdy does that mean I probably wont be back to this thread much since thinking about them causes a real skyrocket of the ol blood pressure.

Totally understandable, I’ve been off and on estranged from my dad since I was a kid, so do what you need to.

He isn’t as bad as the issendal link but still...there’s a reason why both my sister and I keep our distance.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

The_Continental posted:

The grand-kid thing is so hosed. These people simply have to place themselves in the role of victim and continue their pity party. They completely remove their own relationship with their child from the equation and make it completely about how their grandchild is being kept from them.

r/legaladvice always has a ton of grandparent's rights cases - and they aren't usually the first time the grandparent is acting out. Usually the actual legal question is prefaced with a mention of the abuse these people inflicted as parents. These cases never exist in a vacuum, ever.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its also because as much as I like to goof here on SA I dont like revealing particularly personal things about me.

I will say to other folks these posts you see are basically form letters that they all do without realizing it, right down to how they want to get their revenge or what they feel they are owed, and is eerily exactly how they talk live in person in the coverup/gaslighting phase of the relationship.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Seems like a sad vein to mine for lulz.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I never got the whole "grandparents rights" thing. What rights? If your kid won't let you see their kids, it's probably because you were a lovely parent.

It's like they have no concept of cutting toxic people out of their lives.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MightyJoe36 posted:

I never got the whole "grandparents rights" thing. What rights? If your kid won't let you see their kids, it's probably because you were a lovely parent.

It's like they have no concept of cutting toxic people out of their lives.

Did you know in some states you are legally required to pay for your parents retirement and that some estranged parents have already started exploiting this to get back at their children? Would you believe I know the states with these laws and wont ever live in them?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Barudak posted:

Did you know in some states you are legally required to pay for your parents retirement and that some estranged parents have already started exploiting this to get back at their children? Would you believe I know the states with these laws and wont ever live in them?

Lol a generation of vampires. What garbo states are these?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Barudak posted:

Source? I need to read this insanity.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

Lol a generation of vampires. What garbo states are these?

Leon Einstein posted:

Source? I need to read this insanity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filial_responsibility_laws

The list of states is: Alaska, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Montana, Nevada , New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia.

Now thats a big list but be aware not all have the same thresholds and boundary of obligations, nor are they all usually enforced, but seriously avoid Pennsylvania and it comes up with Estranged Parents now that they know about it.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

A woman who may have lost her daughter to an Irish cult posted:

I am not sure if I am doing this correctly. I am trying to respond to the woman in Ireland. I am an American with dual citizenship. My daughter was acting crazy and I encouraged her to go for a study abroad program to Ireland thinking the warmth of the Irish people would be healing. Almost immediately she began acting like a stranger. I visited her 11 months later to see what the heck was going on and she had completely replaced me with another mother and a bizarre family. Everyone she introduced me to looked at me with hatred so I knew she was telling some horrible fabricated tales about me to justify the estrangement. I cried every day for about a year. Now, I am mad. I feel like the daughter i knew, who I lived with for 22 years died in Ireland. Not blaming the country, obviously this is going on everywhere. It would be nice to have an Irish friend to share this pain with. Sorry about your sister, seems to be an epidemic. I have certainly had the thought that I wish I had never had children. Tragic. I am sick of being lied about and of having unjustified rage directed at me.

"The Warmth of the Irish People" led to this woman's daughter realizing her mother was insane.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Barudak posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filial_responsibility_laws

The list of states is: Alaska, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Montana, Nevada , New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia.

Now thats a big list but be aware not all have the same thresholds and boundary of obligations, nor are they all usually enforced, but seriously avoid Pennsylvania and it comes up with Estranged Parents now that they know about it.
Jesus H. Christ. That PA case had a nursing home go after the son for payment before even attempting to collect from Medicaid and won.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

A Fancy Hat posted:

"The Warmth of the Irish People" led to this woman's daughter realizing her mother was insane.
More like "my daughter was in an interracial relationship so I forced her to move to a country that represents her ethnicity and now she resents me for some reason."

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I would bet my bottom dollar that my mom is on that site somewhere.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Ouch some of these hittin a little close to home

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Boomers are a loving plague

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

When I was a teenager I was in a program that paired us with various public officials as a sort of educational mentorship on how government works. My favorite pairing was with a family court judge in my small town. My first time ever in a courtroom and witnessing a real proceeding was an older married couple suing their own children for visitation rights over their grandchildren. I don't remember many of the specifics as this had been seen by the judge a few times and it's not like the whole thing got laid out like on TV. I do remember it was their final hearing and the judge denied their application.

What stuck out for me was how outraged the grandmother was. She scolded the judge and went on and on about how this was immoral, this was evil, she deserves to see her grandkids, etc. Like she just lost it. The judge was a nice and patient guy and had to deal with literal scum abusers and deadbeats all day long, but this lady and her behavior was the only time I witnessed him raising his voice and getting angry. The entitlement this woman had was unbelievable, and when she finally left she spit out something along the lines of "I don't know how you can live with yourself". She almost got arrested for contempt lol but was so sure she was right she didn't care.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
This is the part where we all make fake accounts and get real funny and then give lowtax another thing for the front page, right?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Giant_Pupils posted:

I would bet my bottom dollar that my mom is on that site somewhere.

Willfrey posted:

Ouch some of these hittin a little close to home

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I found a super depressing and really poorly spelled one where parents sent their slightly autistic teenage son to spend a weekend with the grandparents. That could be a really nice and heartwarming weekend, right?

Not if you're this grandma, who complained that the kid "needed constant attention" and "was too full of energy for this old body". What kind of attention did he need, you might ask? He liked playing hockey and asked twice if they could take him to the local hockey rink.

The grandparents then cut off contact with the parents until they "learn" to control their completely well-behaved and polite teenage son.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Captain Yossarian posted:

Boomers are a loving plague

A huge number of them are Gen X.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

A Fancy Hat posted:

quote:

A woman who may have lost her daughter to an Irish cult posted:
I am not sure if I am doing this correctly. I am trying to respond to the woman in Ireland. I am an American with dual citizenship. My daughter was acting crazy and I encouraged her to go for a study abroad program to Ireland thinking the warmth of the Irish people would be healing. Almost immediately she began acting like a stranger. I visited her 11 months later to see what the heck was going on and she had completely replaced me with another mother and a bizarre family. Everyone she introduced me to looked at me with hatred so I knew she was telling some horrible fabricated tales about me to justify the estrangement. I cried every day for about a year. Now, I am mad. I feel like the daughter i knew, who I lived with for 22 years died in Ireland. Not blaming the country, obviously this is going on everywhere. It would be nice to have an Irish friend to share this pain with. Sorry about your sister, seems to be an epidemic. I have certainly had the thought that I wish I had never had children. Tragic. I am sick of being lied about and of having unjustified rage directed at me.

"My daughter was acting crazy so I sent her out of the country" - a rational and totally blameless mom

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ElGroucho posted:

This is the part where we all make fake accounts and get real funny and then give lowtax another thing for the front page, right?

this seems like the kind of mental illness that'd give you a few problems of you own if you spend too long in contact with it

there's uh a lot of rhetorical overlap with incels goin on here

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 12, 2019

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
This forum. :stonk:

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
I cut off contact with mine. Sometimes it makes me sad.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Can't wait to read my moms posts. Seriously.. all these people sound exactly like my parents.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
this poo poo is depressing, not entertaining.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

her grandson is probably 8 years old

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
poo poo, i barely talk to my parents and they were decent

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Yeah, I think I might be done after this.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
They're always talking about their kids or their in-laws being arrogant and not having respect. I'm guessing this is just code for "believes they are my equal" and are upset their asses aren't sufficiently kissed.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

"If my child would only put up with me, they could save $100." - a well-adjusted and not opportunistic parent

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

it's interesting how an adult child's partner is seen as this awful, corrupting influence. almost always the partner makes them realize "holy poo poo what my abusive parent does/did is not normal and i want nothing to do with them anymore". just being around my partner's mother (who is a lovely woman) and hearing stories about what childhood was like made me understand just how loving shortchanged i was

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I can't wait to see my dad find this website.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

fist4jesus posted:

I cut off contact with mine. Sometimes it makes me sad.

despite everything i've been through, on holidays when i get drunk and sentimental, i still get the desire to reconcile. it's just not possible; there's no getting through to pathological cases like that.

it gets easier as time goes on and you realize the world won't explode if you keep no contact. despite what they'd want you to believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

I think my wife's aunt is pretty much one bad decision away from going down this path.

She posts on facebook stuff like "A MOM AND DAUGHTER ARE BEST FRIENDS FOREVER - NO MATTER WHAT MEN COME BETWEEN THEM" and "Keep hoping for my daughter to get married and have a grandbaby, maybe one day! Her boyfriend is "nice" enough, I guess!" Her daughter has been dating the same guy for over a decade and they've both said they don't believe in marriage or having kids.