Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
It’s probably a long ways off, but they’re going to allow purchasing of properties eventually. That’s probably when gold bars get crazy.

I have a feeling that maybe that’ll be tied to the class system they’re bringing out this summer, or at least I hope so because I’m for sure specializing exclusively as the Trader class at first and wanna buy the best storefront property to sell my wares in this theoretic scenario in my head of how it’ll be. I’ve been hoarding my gold bars like crazy, almost at 100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Chuds McGreedy posted:

It’s probably a long ways off, but they’re going to allow purchasing of properties eventually.

Has anyone at R* ever said this?

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
I want to say no official statement yet that I’m aware of, unless someone heard otherwise? I know data miners found placeholder poo poo about it and vehicles back at launch. Data mining aside, it just feels like an inevitability to me since R* makes bank on property and other similar expensive carrots from GTA Online.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I honestly hope it never comes because of the redundancy in function vis-a-vis the cripps camp. And also how it's antithetical to the game: GTA's vain consumerism vs. RDR's quaint frontiersmanship. I'm sure T2 wants it to happen eventually, so it probably will, but it's also been such a dripfeed of content overall for RDO that I'm pretty hopeful real estate won't show up for a good while if at all.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
All I want is another undead nightmare-type single player voiced and mo capped dlc. I hope to hell they hold RDR to a different candle than GTA.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Frog Act posted:

Awesome that sounds much more palatable than GTAV’s aggressive monetization tactics. I guess I should get a headset for my PS4, I haven’t even checked to see if the little earbuds that came with it have a mic but I assume they do not

The earbud does come with a mic, just plug it into your controller. You might need to mess with the audio settings if it tries to send all game audio through a mono earbud

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

HatJudge posted:

My mainest of main gripes is the menus. Why is save, load and exit game located under "Story"?

Edit for clarity

:agreed:

I remember googling to find out how to manually save. It literally didn't cross my mind to look in that submenu. :shobon:

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I honestly find most of the Rockstar being stuck in the past comments to be really weird and obnoxious.

But it really does hold true for how the menu stuff works. Also, the game doesn't even tell you that there's a shortcut for the map.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Hirsute posted:

I absolutely love this game and I think it'll end up being my all-time favorite but there is one thing that annoys me an inordinate amount because it just feels so lazy - the voice actor for Jack Marston is so obviously a woman doing a boy's voice, and it just takes me out of the moment every time I hear it. I know it's pretty common to have adult women do voice acting for boy characters, but for some reason this actor just sounds like an adult trying and failing to sound like a kid and it's real bad.
Hahaha, you go apologize to this young man right now!

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

I honestly find most of the Rockstar being stuck in the past comments to be really weird and obnoxious.

But it really does hold true for how the menu stuff works. Also, the game doesn't even tell you that there's a shortcut for the map.

....what is the shortcut for the map?

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Frog Act posted:

....what is the shortcut for the map?

Hold the Options button down instead of just pressing it .

There's also a second screen app for Android (maybe iOS too?) that can be used as a map.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
It's for IOS and is the ideal way to play the game honestly.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

poo poo that’s awesomely convenient, both the shortcut and the companion app. Gonna download that on my iPad right now, I’m tired of doing like three-menu deep maneuvers constantly to figure out where I’m going

Hirsute
May 4, 2007

He did the voice for Jack in the epilogue, younger Jack was voiced by this person:
https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/Marissa-Buccianti/

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Hirsute posted:

He did the voice for Jack in the epilogue, younger Jack was voiced by this person:
https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/Marissa-Buccianti/
Oh gotcha, so much of Jack’s role is in the epilogue that I thought that’s what you were referring to. (I had the release bug that removed him from the camp for half the game, so I probably missed a lot of his optional content).

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So do you basically need one of every kind of pelt in perfect condition to acquire camp / satchel upgrades? How often do you guys hunt in single player, do you go out and do it intentionally or is it mostly incidental to missions?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I did a lot of hunting but didn’t upgrade a single satchel. All for leather clothes from the mountain man.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
The pelts and carcasses have to be perfect. There's no checklist in game, so you'll have to go through the crafting menu and memorize them or make your own list.
When you hand them over to Pearson the prompt says crafting (I think), as opposed to donate.

I would hunt for days. Just head out with my guns and my legendary buck trinket and shoot at anything that moved. I'd set up camp at night, have a smoke and a cup of coffee in the morning and just stay out there long enough that the people in camp got worried. Whenever I did return I was dressed crazier and crazier. I like how they react to stuff like that.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Evil Badman posted:

Hold the Options button down instead of just pressing it .

I use it. It may not be any faster to open but it's faster to close.

Hirsute
May 4, 2007

Apraxin posted:

Oh gotcha, so much of Jack’s role is in the epilogue that I thought that’s what you were referring to. (I had the release bug that removed him from the camp for half the game, so I probably missed a lot of his optional content).

Yeah should have specified that, I haven't even gotten to the epilogue yet. I visit camp a lot to see as much of the dialogue there as I can. I also love antagonizing everyone, Arthur says some real awful stuff sometimes! Even to a little kid! I love that if you do it too much eventually one of the gang knocks you out and you wake up on the ground outside your camp, they just can't take your poo poo anymore.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I played a good Arthur in single player but my Online character is a real bad hombre.

You might have heard of me after The Strawberry Slaughter

... that is, if anyone had got out alive :madmax:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I can't imagine playing Arthur as anyone besides a gentle soul who just likes sayin' howdy to folks he meets, and hootin' at vaudeville performers

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I can't imagine playing Arthur as anyone besides a gentle soul who just likes sayin' howdy to folks he meets, and hootin' at vaudeville performers

I tried to play bad Arthur and it just doesn't work at all because it makes the story make zero sense

E: even as good Arthur I was wondering why he didn't just put a bullet in the back of Micah's head while they're alone though, or at least leave him to hang

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jul 11, 2019

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

ThomasPaine posted:

I tried to play bad Arthur and it just doesn't work at all because it makes the story make zero sense

E: even as good Arthur I was wondering why he didn't just put a bullet in the back of Micah's head while they're alone though, or at least leave him to hang

I was bad Arthur on my second play through (looking back, I rushed the first) but turned it around chapter four-ish. That made sense for me, the way the story unfolds. The funniest part about being bad is that while at camp, the girls all come up to to talk to you about rumors of you acting like a psychopath out and about, and Arthur responds with something like, "I just don't know what it is - it is like I am two different people and someone else is controlling me. I can't stop!"

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

It definitely made me laugh when Arthur talks to the older lady about how he’s doing, and if you see it all the way through after it initially seems like the conversation is over, Arthur says “I’ve just been killing all these animals for no reason.” or something to that effect

I did have a reason, though, Arthur: you need to shoot birds out of the sky and skin hundreds of rabbits for the challenges. I actually felt pretty bad after shooting a great horned owl though

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wow so poker playing in RDRO, if you possess an ounce of limit poker skill, is a fast way to make money.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
It's my primary source of income online. Apple re-released their texas hold'em poker app for the first time in 10 years which has given me good practice too.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

so for a task I need to get three perfect rabbit pelts. does the varmint rifle tear them up less than the bow and arrow? it seems logical that it would but I can't quite tell

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Frog Act posted:

so for a task I need to get three perfect rabbit pelts. does the varmint rifle tear them up less than the bow and arrow? it seems logical that it would but I can't quite tell

Yup, use varmint rifle for rabbits and go for the head if you can.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Word, for larger game, does ammo type play a factor? like I shot a bear twice to kill it with the Springfield using express ammo and it didn’t diminish the pelt quality, so I’m assuming the bigger bullets are fine, but it was a headshot I think

I’ve never liked hunting, or hunting games, or anything about hunting, but I kind of like it in RDR. Any general tips for hunting legendary game?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Ainsley McTree posted:

To be fair he’s a truly terrible husband

I like that the first line said about John in the game is his wife calling him stupid.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Frog Act posted:

Word, for larger game, does ammo type play a factor? like I shot a bear twice to kill it with the Springfield using express ammo and it didn’t diminish the pelt quality, so I’m assuming the bigger bullets are fine, but it was a headshot I think

I’ve never liked hunting, or hunting games, or anything about hunting, but I kind of like it in RDR. Any general tips for hunting legendary game?

Once they're unlocked, legendary animals aren't that difficult. Just unload into them because the pelt quality isn't a factor.

I find a Springfield is good for most larger game. A single headshot does it for deer, elk, sheep, etc.
Coyotes and other animals of that size always annoyed me until I realized a repeater was the way to go and not the varmint rifle.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 12, 2019

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
For the legendary alligator, unload in him too and them unload in him some more. drat tank of a beast.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
You can't damage legendary animal pelts,no matter how many times you shoot it. Dynamite arrows exist. Do with this information what you will.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

drat I had no idea there were other types of arrows, I need to spend more time looking st crafting recipes, I’ve been massacring birds for flight feathers assuming I’d use them some day. I still haven’t even unlocked fishing yet, I’ve been waiting for a Friday to do the train robbery with John that is the only thing I have available because I assume it’ll be big, so all week I just played an hour or two every night and hunted some, did every possible challenge and side task, etc.

Which reminds me, is it worth going through the what I assume is a lot of effort to find the collectibles - dinosaur bones, cigarette cards, and rock carvings? Do you run into any of the bones or carvings incidentally or is it like I’m gonna want to pull up a guide and do them as a separate thing?

Also a big thing I’ve been wondering is, what’s the deal with the Lancaster repeater? You get it after the Carbine Repeater and it even LOOKS fancier than the carbine, but as far as I can tell, with the three types of ammo I have available, it’s always less damaging, less accurate, and either equal or lower ranged. All my guns are fully upgraded with purchasable components so I can’t do much more that way. Is it just...bad? Ditto with the semi-auto shotgun, it feels like I’m shooting spitballs compared to the double barrel and even the pump action.

I get the impression I mostly want to use my unique and named type guns, since I got three pretty good revolvers and a cool gold pistol from the gunslingers you have to talk to for that quest you get early. Are there unique non-handgun weapons?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Frog Act posted:

https://www.xainesworld.com/perfect-pelt-weapon-table

There ya go.

Also read in your compendium after studying the animals (study the animals.) It'll tell you more about them/what it takes to get a perfect, i believe, but that link ought be easier.

E: this isn't related to anything you said at all but it made me remember that the stream right outside Strawberry has absolutely massive fish in it.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 12, 2019

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Frog Act posted:

drat I had no idea there were other types of arrows, I need to spend more time looking st crafting recipes, I’ve been massacring birds for flight feathers assuming I’d use them some day. I still haven’t even unlocked fishing yet, I’ve been waiting for a Friday to do the train robbery with John that is the only thing I have available because I assume it’ll be big, so all week I just played an hour or two every night and hunted some, did every possible challenge and side task, etc.

Which reminds me, is it worth going through the what I assume is a lot of effort to find the collectibles - dinosaur bones, cigarette cards, and rock carvings? Do you run into any of the bones or carvings incidentally or is it like I’m gonna want to pull up a guide and do them as a separate thing?

Also a big thing I’ve been wondering is, what’s the deal with the Lancaster repeater? You get it after the Carbine Repeater and it even LOOKS fancier than the carbine, but as far as I can tell, with the three types of ammo I have available, it’s always less damaging, less accurate, and either equal or lower ranged. All my guns are fully upgraded with purchasable components so I can’t do much more that way. Is it just...bad? Ditto with the semi-auto shotgun, it feels like I’m shooting spitballs compared to the double barrel and even the pump action.

I get the impression I mostly want to use my unique and named type guns, since I got three pretty good revolvers and a cool gold pistol from the gunslingers you have to talk to for that quest you get early. Are there unique non-handgun weapons?

I know jack about guns IRL or within this game outside of the stat bars, but I used the pump action and carbine for my entire SP play through. Online, I use Evans because I love the sound it makes - but the carbine is my backup. The varmint rifle is incredible for headshots, too.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Agent Burt Macklin posted:

I know jack about guns IRL or within this game outside of the stat bars, but I used the pump action and carbine for my entire SP play through. Online, I use Evans because I love the sound it makes - but the carbine is my backup. The varmint rifle is incredible for headshots, too.

Is the Evans any good? It seemed like a wierd outlier repeater

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Frog Act posted:

You’ll probably find a bunch of cigarette cards in buildings as you explore, and you also get a random card or two when you buy premium cigarettes at the store, so that’s fairly manageable. Everything else you’ll probably want a guide for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Am I alone in that I never used pistols unless the game forced me to? My standard was the bolt action rifle in almost any circumstance other than close up, then that’s when the shotguns came out.