Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

lol Lowell is not Boston

I know Lowell is not Boston, much like the Sears Centre is not Chicago but that is what they are calling it.

I really want to goto the NYC show but I know those tickets are going to sell out instantly. I love Tiger so it would be awesome to see his retirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

You'll care if you book a hotel in Boston and have to drive 40 miles north to another city

Houston is a 100-mile wide metro area. Everything is at least 20 minutes away and not walkable.

That kind of trip is not surprising to a lot of people who live in more spread out cities.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I haven't really checked on anything ROH related since MSG, but I remember I read that the title match on that show was between Jay Lethal, Marty Skurll and some guy I never heard of and the nobody won. I assume that nobody was Tavin.

Like... is there a reason that ROH didn't try to throw a giant pile of money at Marty in an effort to make him their Guy and then try building the company around him? Because he's been great in literally everything I've ever seen him and he's by far the biggest name on their roster aside from Jay. At least as far as I know.

f course if Marty was going to leave no matter what, fair enough.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Sanguinia posted:

f course if Marty was going to leave no matter what, fair enough.

Assumption was he's gone no matter what. Whatever they could offer him, WWE and AEW could each offer more, and AEW has the bonus benefit of having all his friends at the top. If WWE wants to snatch him to stick it to AEW, they're going to have to overpay like hell, and there's no scenario where a bid war for him exists where ROH doesn't come in at third place

Sinclair ain't interested in spending from their pockets on the product in general, they sure won't change that position to maintain one particular talent

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, Sinclair COULD invest enough to be a real player in the market, but if they were going to, they would've done it for Cody and the Bucks.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I honestly don’t think Scurll would have been any better of a choice than Taven. He’s banged up, most of his matches require the challenger to do all the heavy lifting and he has John Cena levels of snug on his grappling.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Just LMAO at "Lowell is not Boston."

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/ContrarianAlex/status/1148412794628448256

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

It reminds me of the old school crow sting shirts

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I like that they've done their best with lighting in that picture to make Matt Taven look more like Mike Patton.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

thats better than every wwe shirt

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
For those considering it, the auditorium in Lowell is p good, I saw BCB get hit really really hard with a chair by Jay Lethal about 10 feet in front of me and also Cody won the world title from stinky old Christopher Daniels, would recommend

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

The designer tried to make a good Matt Taven shirt that people would want to buy, but as she got close the fabric of reality began to tear itself apart as the laws of probability were so callously ignored. She saved us all by giving us the shirt Taven deserves.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 9, 2019

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Cage Kicker posted:

For those considering it, the auditorium in Lowell is p good, I saw BCB get hit really really hard with a chair by Jay Lethal about 10 feet in front of me and also Cody won the world title from stinky old Christopher Daniels, would recommend

it's where shawn michaels lost his smile

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'd wear the shirt tbh. Is that straight out of Taven's merchpit or is it an ROH official?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

17 years ago this weekish

quote:

From most all accounts, the 6/22 Ring of Honor show in Philadelphia was an incredible show. There were more negatives than some of the previous shows, but more great matches than at any of the previous shows. There was a tag team turmoil match that went 17:30 which killed the crowd and a womens match featuring inexperienced Simply Luscious against JD's Sumie Sakai that was said to be worse than backyard wrestling. But the rest of the show match quality ranged from good to excellent. The show was mainly a series of four different four-man tournaments to leave a final four for 7/27's 60 minute match where whomever wins the most falls is crowned the first ROH champ.

The final four will be Spanky, Doug Williams (which, since he's from England, surprised everyone when he beat American Dragon in his bracket final), Low Ki and Christopher Daniels. Based on a consensus from numerous sources, matches like A.J. Styles over Jerry Lynn (***1/2), Williams vs. American Dragon (****1/4), Low Ki vs. Red (****1/4) and Daniels vs. Styles (***3/4) were show stealers and Jody Fleisch vs. Spanky and Spanky vs. Paul London were close to that level as well. Daniels-Styles tried to follow Red vs. Low Ki, which from all accounts had the most incredible opening sequence anyone had seen and got a tired crowd into the show big-time. Daniels and Styles then followed doing a 22:03 slow builder. Crowd was tired, which is the curse of so many indie shows by having too many matches, and bout went seven minutes longer than planned. Fleisch vs. Johnny Storm wasn't as good as reports were of their previous matches in NECW and CZW, as they missed a few spots, but also did some spectacular moves. Fleisch, Storm, Sakai and Williams barely made the show after being caught in horrible traffic which made their drive from Boston take something like nine hours, and that may have accounted for Fleisch and Storm being a little rusty. There was a bad comedy spot where Scoot Andrews, after losing to Daniels due to interference from valet Luscious, went to hit her and then paused and said he'd never hit a woman, but he knew someone who would (the cue to introduce Sakai and start the womens match), the crowd responded with an "Austin Austin" chant. An attempt to do a Japanese finish (this also didn't work when Pro Wrestling Iron tried it on their show because U.S. fans have never seen it and don't think like that) when Low Ki gave Prince Nana a stiff kick to the head and a lot of wrestlers and group owner Rob Feinstein hit the ring and they stopped the match acting like it was a knockout, and helped Nana out in 3:56, crowd didn't know how to react to.

The angle at the end of the show were the four survivors wrestled over the belt, which was never shown, also didn't get over well and fans were leaving during it. Crowd was 450, the biggest so far, since they added more chairs to the building than at previous shows. Donnie B came out at the end of the show and announced that the company would be starting on TV locally on WGTW in Philadelphia (same station that airs CZW and Wildside) in September. Also on the next show will be a three-way from Wildside with Styles vs. David Young vs. Adam Jacobs

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I don't think I've ever met anyone who watched that first run of ROH TV.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/itsjackrobert/status/1149346932135010304

Liked by Jeff Cobb

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

forkboy84 posted:

I don't think I've ever met anyone who watched that first run of ROH TV.

I've been trying to track down the Philly run of XPW TV for years

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I think the syndicated bits that The Wrestling Channel and maybe Fight Network had of early ROH came from those TV shows. I could be thinking of something else entirely tho.

There's a whole hidden history now that Sinclair has pretty much disavowed the DVD era ROH shows.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
XPW TV is a sight to behold. Especially the skits.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ROH just never stops getting sonned by PWG (without PWG really trying to compete).

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

coconono posted:

There's a whole hidden history now that Sinclair has pretty much disavowed the DVD era ROH shows.

Is it an official disavowing? I've always been under the impression they're just too lazy to go back and edit the shows for streaming? There's a lot of stuff they'd have to edit with the copywritten music, homophobia, etc.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Pinche Rudo posted:

Is it an official disavowing? I've always been under the impression they're just too lazy to go back and edit the shows for streaming? There's a lot of stuff they'd have to edit with the copywritten music, homophobia, etc.

At one point they had the ISOs up for downloading but that's since stopped. Its not an official, but they don't sell/stock anything outside of the Best Of DVDs of that era.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They should treat all the DVD-era shows as TV tapings and edit them into a TV series

That's 200+ 4 hour shows you could edit into a few hundred hours of television

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

EugeneJ posted:

They should treat all the DVD-era shows as TV tapings and edit them into a TV series

That's 200+ 4 hour shows you could edit into a few hundred hours of television

if anyone watched it, the first year is horrifically homophobic

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Yeah right now that library of footage is a huge asset and would actually provide some incentive to subscribe to their streaming service. Which right now is pretty much nil

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
also wwe would probably sue them for IP infringement on the second show

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Yeah they'd have to do some serious editing and probably re dub a good chunk of the commentary but man there's so much great stuff in that back catalog from the mid 2000s on

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

all that glorious unlicensed music.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

The final countdown!!!!!!

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pinche Rudo posted:

The final countdown!!!!!!

The soundalikes they started using in 2008 were so bad

So, so bad

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

if anyone watched it, the first year is horrifically homophobic

Also insanely misogynistic. A real time capsule watching those shows today. Often there's really good matches but ho boy, who wants to hear Gabe Sapolsky being deeply horny over Alison Danger getting beaten up?

EugeneJ posted:

The soundalikes they started using in 2008 were so bad

So, so bad

Licensing laws really do suck.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Chris James 2 posted:

Assumption was he's gone no matter what. Whatever they could offer him, WWE and AEW could each offer more, and AEW has the bonus benefit of having all his friends at the top. If WWE wants to snatch him to stick it to AEW, they're going to have to overpay like hell, and there's no scenario where a bid war for him exists where ROH doesn't come in at third place

Sinclair ain't interested in spending from their pockets on the product in general, they sure won't change that position to maintain one particular talent

The bidding war will be won by NJPW when Harold does the right thing and has Marty submit that jobber Okada.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/1149675943662931968

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/ringofhonor/status/1149710127697747968

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Both those tweets suck
Free Bárbaro Cavernario

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
That reads as New Japan won't send anyone anymore so they are going to lean on CMLL.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

please stop looking like you're gonna die, Alex Shelley. I love you, you dank powered droid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Djarum posted:

That reads as New Japan won't send anyone anymore so they are going to lean on CMLL.

NJPW talent currently hold the ROH tag titles.