Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

InediblePenguin posted:

These old people are not reliable narrators. At the start of the thread multiple people linked the Issendai blog which should really be required reading before engaging with the actual link in the O P I think; it very clearly and understandably discusses these kinds of posts and shows you how and why to notice the unreliable narration Etc

Yeah, OP what do you think about adding the required reading and context bit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Demon Of The Fall posted:

So I'm kinda confused, are we making fun of these old people or the children? I've read some of the posts and they seem uhhh not weird or strange. Maybe I'm an idiot, which is true honestly.
you probably also have npd, being a demon of the fall

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Barudak posted:

For people who arent familiar with this here is the most charitable what actually happened for one of these random posts

"Why wont my child, who I told is never welcome in my home again because they married a [racial slur], not talking to me, I did nothing wrong!!"

My mom had a big history of being messed up but at this point could be summarized as "why doesn't my son talk to me, i dunno what i did wrong, all i did was talk mad poo poo about his dead girlfriend directly after the funeral??"

oh and she threw in some random poo poo about dad too who's been dead longer, real classy poo poo. anyway, it was so over the line that it made me laugh for the first time since that particular series of events began so lol thanks mom

the good part of someone going that far is that you finally clearly see them for what they are and no longer feel at all bad about never responding to them!

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i know lots of people who've been accused of having npd by abusive partners (people wonder how so many successful and smart doctors/lawyers/teachers/whatever end up in abusive relationships, that's how - their own brightness and pride in their accomplishments is used against them) but, thank heaven, i've known very few actual clinical narcissists. but i've met some, so this site is a good resource for remembering, "oh, that's what that looks like"

the identical post voices are spinning me out too. it really is like one insane person talking to themselves, but i know it's not. like it happens a bit here and on reddit too, all online communities develop the "house style", but the estranged parents all make these really long and complex posts where they're obviously getting furious behind the keyboard and yet they all manage to describe events and get furious in exactly the same way

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Drunk Nerds posted:

As I see it, giving up on your children for any reason except fear for personal safety is wrong. Your adult daughter-in-law has BPD, a known mental disorder? Deal with it, blaming them for bad mental health and then bailing on them over a freaking Facebook post is wrong.. Parenting is forever, if they don't like their kids' behavior they figure out a way to help or get over it.

LOL, the majority of people who have BPD (or another personality disorder) developed it as a result of their parents'/caretakers' abuse. If your kid has BPD, it's because you gave it to them. Not speaking to their children would be the kindest thing they could do.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
There's gotta be a whole season worth of Dr. Phil episodes about parents like this.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

LyonsLions posted:

Reading these posts is both cathartic and depressing. My husband's family is like this. I don't think his parents are narcissists, but they have some of the residual symptoms from being raised in really toxic families. Husband's aunt is a full-on toxic narcissist who has spent her life making everyone around her miserable. She had no children of her own, but did the golden child/scapegoat split with her nieces and nephews, after manipulating her way into getting lots of time alone with them to subject them to her bullshit. 2 of the cousins who she practically raised are deeply damaged people. She basically admitted to having made them like herself, i.e. eternally single, so that she would never have to be alone. My husband was deeply entrapped in her guilt web until we had our second child, and he realized that she was trying to set up the same golden child/scapegoat dynamic with our children. Except that she was already pushing 90 then, and had lost a lot of her former manipulative power, and what she was doing was so obvious and pathetic. We haven't seen her since then, and are not really sure whether she is still alive. The last time she called, she tried to guilt my husband into demanding that his father "repay" a loan that he repaid decades ago, so that she would have something to leave to those of her nieces and nephews she deemed worthy. She was trying to ensure that her toxic bullshit continued to gently caress with people from beyond the grave. She also demanded to be buried with my father-in-law and that his wife of nearly 50 years be buried elsewhere. :wtc:
see, these people always become really entertaining to hear about once they're dead, because now they can't hurt anyone and there's always that last little "gently caress you" they pull as they die that caps off their lifelong legend of assholery. it's our earthly reward for allowing them to grow old and die of natural causes

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobbie Wickham posted:

LOL, the majority of people who have BPD (or another personality disorder) developed it as a result of their parents'/caretakers' abuse. If your kid has BPD, it's because you gave it to them. Not speaking to their children would be the kindest thing they could do.

That’s funny because that is their favorite armchair diagnosis, along with bipolar and NPD (which many of them probably actually have.)

I need to excavate it but one of them that I can remember proposed a diagnostic for the specific disease of hating your elder parents enough to leave them “for no reason.”

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
posted in response to a reminder that it is a public forum and to be careful with disclosures:

quote:

Also, we’ve all been here on Earth long enough to know how fast society’s attitudes can change. It may be no big deal to laugh about how funny a child was when they got a spanking they deserved in the ’70s or ’80s, but that could come back to bite you in the tushie if your grandkids or great-grandkids ever needed you to go to court and take custody of them.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

posted in response to a reminder that it is a public forum and to be careful with disclosures:

:yikes:

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
yeah. that's the kind of poo poo we're dealing with here.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Drunk Nerds posted:

As I see it, giving up on your children for any reason except fear for personal safety is wrong. Your adult daughter-in-law has BPD, a known mental disorder? Deal with it, blaming them for bad mental health

BPD isn't so easily 'dealt with'. Maintaining a relationship with someone who has it will often mean taking constant abuse and bullying while simultaneously being blamed for everything. There is no level of submission to abuse, of onesided unreciprocated kindness, patience and love that will safely satisfy someone with BPD. The parents could be storybook perfect and putting themselves into debt to pay the kids bills and they will still get accused of being horrible exploiters and abusers. Even if the kid isnt personally violent that can be a dangerous situation, since they might slander the parents into violent or legal reprisal over entirely imagined slights, even as they have completely mentally broken themselves trying to please the kid.

Of course, it's impossible to tell if the parents are reliable narrators and they could just be labelling their child as BPD to explain away what is actually completely rational behaviour. In general though pretty much the only cases where the parents can be considered sympathetic is where the child has a personality disorder or has been a drug addict over a sustained period of time. Some of those sympathetic cases wind up on the estranged parent forums looking for help and either find a temporary home (assuming the other posters situation reflects their own before realising it does not) or get warped by the toxic culture.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Estranged Post: I dont know why theyre mad, we raised them to be christian like us and all they do is treat us terribly
Reality: There is a several thousand word email saying that the recipient will and deserves to go to hell for all of eternity for so disrespecting and humiliating their parent for the crime of <checks notes> wanting to stay in and pay for a hotel instead of having to camp in a tent in the yard if they want to visit.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Moon Atari posted:

BPD isn't so easily 'dealt with'. Maintaining a relationship with someone who has it will often mean taking constant abuse and bullying while simultaneously being blamed for everything. There is no level of submission to abuse, of onesided unreciprocated kindness, patience and love that will safely satisfy someone with BPD. The parents could be storybook perfect and putting themselves into debt to pay the kids bills and they will still get accused of being horrible exploiters and abusers. Even if the kid isnt personally violent that can be a dangerous situation, since they might slander the parents into violent or legal reprisal over entirely imagined slights, even as they have completely mentally broken themselves trying to please the kid.

Of course, it's impossible to tell if the parents are reliable narrators and they could just be labelling their child as BPD to explain away what is actually completely rational behaviour. In general though pretty much the only cases where the parents can be considered sympathetic is where the child has a personality disorder or has been a drug addict over a sustained period of time. Some of those sympathetic cases wind up on the estranged parent forums looking for help and either find a temporary home (assuming the other posters situation reflects their own before realising it does not) or get warped by the toxic culture.

I think they bank on this because it gives them cover. I think that’s part of why they spend so much time gassing each other up too. They “defend” other people as an outlet for their vitriol.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

quote:

I haven’t been on in weeks. I want to be better. I want to stop thinking about this.
I moved out of the home that I lived with my daughter. The home that she left. The home where she used me and betrayed me.

I moved to a new place with mostly older adults. Houses in a small community. I have been here for a little over two months. Have met neighbors and feel like i have found a new life. I even planned a party next week for the “gals” in the neighborhood.

Tonight I found out that the house next door to me – that just sold – includes a 10 year old boy. As I chatted with his mother, I found him beyond irritating. I have several animals and he’s decided that he can come and visit them any time – I had to hold him back from coming in at that moment. Meanwhile their dog decided to run up on my porch in a neighborhood where dogs are not allowed loose.

Okay, I sound like a jerk! But the fact is…. I spent the last 20 years as a slave to a child who turned on me and treated me so badly that I needed to start my life all over again.

And now here, in what I thought was my sanctuary… It’s not anymore.

Very few children live in this community. I never imagined having one next door.

So, now I’m going to have to move again. And it’s going to leave me broke. But I can’t live around children!! I just can’t!

I stopped posting here because no one responded to me. I felt like I didn’t belong.
But… one more time I’m reaching out.

I am so upset! Maybe this means nothing to some, but to me I feel homeless.
I had the same house for almost 24 years and sold it because of my daughter and the pain. Now I find a new place and I can’t stay here either.

Maybe you should all just tell me to suck it up and get a grip… I don’t know.
I just know I’m in pain

Barudak
May 7, 2007

These people 100% use social norms that "of course all parents love their children" to shame and humiliate and it wears down people who do sever because random people will say poo poo like "oh you should make up" which makes them question if what theyre doing is right.

Most estranged children simply dont discuss their families, the ones Ive known who are estranged most people who meet them assume their parents are dead.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LabyaMynora posted:

I'm fascinated by how many of these NPD parents describe themselves as "devout Christians."

It's part of the pathology. These people don't really have an internal moral compass, so they need to impose one from without. Christianity is particularly useful for this because of its emphasis on a personal relationship with Christ and forgiveness rather than adherence to certain rules. It also offers them another fun way to abuse their children.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

I’m happy I made you laugh Suki
I had a good chuckle when he said it to me and we all need to
laugh our way through this.

So……..

Any funny stories you’d like to share???

I told my daughter once when I was sooooo angry with
her:
” I’m coming over there to beat you with a shovel.”
She told me later how furious she was I’d said that.

I had a miniature shovel which I mailed to her with a note attached,
“I don’t know why a little shovel upsets you so much”.

My son would have cracked up, she never mentioned it.
Thank God I have one normal kid.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
“I started having dreams about sweet little puppies and then kittens, and then babies being devoured by a large group of people. I believe these were dreams about my son. “

quote:

Hi
Some of you may know my story–it’s not unique. My son married a girl who was wonderful to my husband and me as his girlfriend but changed dramatically after they got engaged. Because of this and my son’s unwillingness to have a relationship with us unless we accept his wife and her mother’s abusive, lying behavior, we have been “outed.” We did not see him or our only GD for eight months. Then as I posted several weeks ago, out of the blue we got a formal invitation to our GD 1st birthday party. Sheri had some very good advice; my pastor and friends had a lot of good advice, too, which I faithfully followed.

But, unfortunately, I have another story filled with disappointment, and I’m so very, very sad that I feel I will not be able to get over it this time.

We went to the party not knowing what to expect with the knowledge that we were “the bast…s” at the family reunion. She has a very, very enmeshed family. We have little. Our daughter is on the other side of the country, as is my husband’s sister. Our parents are long gone. My son doesn’t speak to my only surviving brother, but we have a lot of friends. None of our friends were invited to this VFW hall where they had the party. Of course, it was filled with all of her family and friends. My husband’s cousin was invited (none of mine were) and we sat with her family.

My husband said hello to our DIL (I avoided her). My husband said hello to her mother (I avoided her). I am a very loving Christian women who has been struggling very hard to forgive these two women, but I do not want to be in the presence of someone who abuses me, so I just stayed away from the abusers.

Our GD did not know us. She was very cranky, and did not want to let either of us hold her. My son was the only one who could console her. He was polite with us, but it broke my heart to see the sadness in his eyes. I had brought some Halloween and Christmas decorations I wanted to give to him, so after the party he came out to the car to get them. He looked at me with the saddest expression and said I’ll call you, but I know it won’t happen. And even if it does, nothing will change.

I’ve read before in this community how other women feel that their sons have been “abducted by aliens” or “joined a cult.” I feel exactly the same way. When he got married and the DIL and her mother started their pattern of controlling him and abusing me, I could see him slipping away. When things that the mother were doing weren’t enough, she started making up lies. When this recent event that caused the estrangement occurred last July, I started having dreams about sweet little puppies and then kittens, and then babies being devoured by a large group of people. I believe these were dreams about my son. And he is gone to me now.

After three months of marriage my DIL insisted that they move in with her mother and father. They emptied her condo, stored her furniture, and left it empty (as they continued to pay the mortgage) for one year until they sold the place and bought a house. My husband and I spent considerable money helping them out in buying the place and working on it (all unappreciated). They have lived in it 20 months, and now yesterday I find out that her mother and father sold their house and moved in with them!!

I was up all night crying (I guess I’m Not Done With the Crying yet), and I have been breaking down all day today. My daughter asked me this morning if I was glad I went so I could see my GD, and I can’t even say it was worth it. My heart is broken yet again, and I just don’t know how to get over it.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

you can already see the scapegoat/golden child dynamic. loving astounding.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MasBrillante posted:

“I started having dreams about sweet little puppies and then kittens, and then babies being devoured by a large group of people. I believe these were dreams about my son. “

She goes to a child's birthday party and snubs the mother and the other grandmother and she thinks these people will want to be around her again? The sheer brass balls on some of these people.

Also nice how she blames the 1-year-old child for being cranky at what is normally a very overwhelming event for a baby. My kids both slept through their first birthday parties, and they were just at home with a few family members invited, not a big party at a VFW hall. (BTW my mother-in-law was salty as hell both times! How dare babies act like babies and not pay attention to meeeee?!?!?)

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

mods please rename gbs to

The Saucer Hovers posted:

nuggetized boomer madness

tia

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

my mom died recently and i wish she was still around so i could cut that old broad out of my life a 2nd time

im just kidding i miss her a lot

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
OP has been updated, however I’m on mobile and Awful is being...Awful. I’ll check it over once I’m back home in desktop.

In the mean time, keep in mind that Rejected Parents is a forum that is related to a book, Done With The Crying.

Here’s a Good Housekeeping article about the author, Sherri MacGregor:

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/parenting/a46619/sheri-mcgregor-estrangement-mother-son/

And here’s a r/raisedbynarcissists post that should be read AFTER the GH link:

https://www.reddit.com/r/raisedbynarcissists/comments/9ba12h/just_read_sheri_mcgregors_nrag_done_with_the/

The authors estranged daughter in law commented and checking on her post history...yeah, seems mommie dearest left out a few key details in her book. Again, :iiam:

(Not intending on posting more from r/RBN going forward but in context it’s cool if y’all need to do it. Whatever helps)

teen witch fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 13, 2019

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Devils Affricate posted:

The vast majority of these seem to be cases of horrible parents mystified as to why their adult children don't want to put up with their abuse anymore.

But yeah, that brings up a major problem with sites like this. People's situations can be completely different, but one person will come in with a story like "My schizophrenic son refuses to leave his apartment and when I try to call him on the phone he just screams about Alex Jones and flat earth, please help, I love him" and every rear end in a top hat parent on the site who was kicked out of their kids life because they legitimately treated them like poo poo will nod their heads in faux solidarity and say something about how this generation is just so screwed up.
Down the Rabbit Hole mentions that those people tend to filter into dedicated 'my kid is schizophrenic plz help' communities, so you end up with this foamy scum of abusers congealing under the guise of 'not knowing' why their kids are estranged.

quote:

http://www.issendai.com/psychology/estrangement/
Not all of the members of estranged parent communities are abusers. Quite a few people show up with stories of losing contact with their children because of drugs, mental illness, cult involvement, abusive sons- and daughters-in-law, or the influence of a vengeful ex. However, most of the people who know why their children are estranged filter away from the group quickly. I don't know where they go, but I suspect they find help in other groups—parents with drug-addicted children find groups about dealing with drug addicts, parents whose children are in the control of an abusive partner find groups about partner abuse. What's left are the people who have no idea why their children left them. And that, my friends, is a vast and waving red flag.

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

HAPPY F!UN MAGIC ENGLISH TIEM~~~
"I wish to thank MsExistial for what was written on my post – granddaughters wedding day.
Reading that being excluded from her wedding is clearly emotional abuse at its highest has brought me great strength. I will not accept being emotionally abused by my daughter, granddaughter or anyone else. If anyone deserved to be there it was me. To be excluded was a huge slap in the face.

I was willing to put up with crappy behaviour so I could keep my eyes on my grandkids but what message am I sending them if I accept this?

Today I have clearly cut the chord. My daughter is 43 years old, she will have to live with her choices now without my support.
I let her know this was unacceptable and I am no longer willing to be in a relationship with people who need to hurt me. I said I hope we can still see the children but I’m prepared for her pulling them from me as she did before.

For the first time I’m not waffling. I guess everyone has their breaking point and not being included at your own GDs wedding is mine.

And now I work on staying firm by reading Sheri’s book and concentrating on hubby and I."

"If anyone deserved to be there it was me," she says, on this, the day of her granddaughters wedding.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

MasBrillante posted:

It's fairly weird that they are living with the wife's parents while they have a condo already. And then they bought a house that the parents moved into?

I would sooner chew off a finger.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Took 3 and a half years for my old man to play the "You're out of the will" card after I ignored his every attempt at contacting me. That includes telling him to gently caress off when he showed up at my job. He learned where I was working at the time by sending my little sister to make a lunch date with my wife and pump her for information. It took cutting ties with a dozen or so people and deactivating all social media to live outside of their influence, but it was loving worth it.

Blaming my wife for our strained relationship
Calling my therapists and psychiatrists quacks
Blaming my problems on me leaving the church
Stonefaced denial of abuses
trivializing other abuses
multiple gaslighting attempts

This all sounds about right.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

Not a good thing to tell your kid but as a random anecdote it seems like a perfectly normal coping thought for them to have. Like "man it sucks they commited suicide cause I have to deal with it and it's even worse if I do the same thing" is a dark thought for sure but not really a difficult to understand sentiment. Thinking about how it would affect others is basically the entire reason not to off yourself when you're in a bad place.

I don't think it would have bothered me as much if it wasn't like, literally the day after I had to tell the doctors to pull the plug on him.

Honestly that's just a fun anecdote, idk if I'm ready to start posting my childhood trauma for goons to pick apart. That said I still love my mom, I genuinely believe tried her best when I was a kid but she became a hosed up person from her own childhood trauma.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

Bobbie Wickham posted:

I don't think that's how brain chemistry works.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

BluesShaman posted:

The environment you grow up in absolutely effects your brain chemistry.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Sorry I seem to have created a derail with my "deal with it" BPD post. I didn't mean, "reach out and care and then it's all tidied up neatly," I meant "don't go on a hug box website and whine about their Facebook posts."

It all ties into the phenomenon that these estranged parents never name an actually solid example of being horribly mistreated.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

BluesShaman posted:

it's 100% how brain chemistry works lol

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

BluesShaman posted:

BPD is one of those conditions that happens to be heavily influenced by environment. There's some evidence that it clusters in families and has a genetic component, but you really need the 'right' environment for all the pieces to fall into place in most cases.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I have the opposite problems these kids do. My dad was an abusive, violet, drunken rear end in a top hat growing up. I grew up in constant fear of punishment and caught beatings a couple times a week. The thing is, now he's a sweetheart. Still a drunk, but a nice one. All the grandkids love him. He took my daughters on a cruise. He heard I needed money for a new sewer line in my yard and called me to take care of it. I kinda feel guilty that I still don't want to be close to him, but what can I do? I don't even know how.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

The Dregs posted:

I have the opposite problems these kids do. My dad was an abusive, violet, drunken rear end in a top hat growing up. I grew up in constant fear of punishment and caught beatings a couple times a week. The thing is, now he's a sweetheart. Still a drunk, but a nice one. All the grandkids love him. He took my daughters on a cruise. He heard I needed money for a new sewer line in my yard and called me to take care of it. I kinda feel guilty that I still don't want to be close to him, but what can I do? I don't even know how.

I'd suggest seeking out a therapist to help you process this better. Your feelings are valid, and no amount of money or kindness to your kids can erase the years of abuse he inflicted on you.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Yeah, mention you need another new sewer line, but it's just a metaphor for processing the poo poo in your memories

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Panfilo posted:

There's gotta be a whole season worth of Dr. Phil episodes about parents like this.

im pretty sure my mom learned a lot of manipulative tricks from watching dr. phil all day everyday. she uses it to justify tough love all the god drat time.

i like to blame most of day time tv programming for reinforcing lovely parental behaviors, but i'd also like to believe that people aren't that malleable.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

OMFG FURRY posted:

i like to blame most of day time tv programming for reinforcing lovely parental behaviors, but i'd also like to believe that people aren't that malleable.

It does, and they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

The Dregs posted:

i had one of these in my life! absolute monster when his kids were growing up, but by the time i came along he had mellowed out completely and was great at being a (non-biological) grandparent. i always believed the stories about what he was like as a father, but he was always so genuinely good to me that i couldn't help bonding with him (being a kid) and i know it caused huge pain to the person he'd abused that they were never able to articulate or deal with, especially as their relationship with me was already strained. because they'd had a hosed-up childhood, because of this guy! what a mess