Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Koalas March posted:

I don't think it would have bothered me as much if it wasn't like, literally the day after I had to tell the doctors to pull the plug on him.

Honestly that's just a fun anecdote, idk if I'm ready to start posting my childhood trauma for goons to pick apart. That said I still love my mom, I genuinely believe tried her best when I was a kid but she became a hosed up person from her own childhood trauma.

:hf: share what you wish, no obligation. I love my dad too but turns out brutal civil wars and a low key genocide fucks with a kid. Still keeping my distance because while it may explain who he is, it certainly doesn’t loving excuse his behavior towards me.

quote:

This may be a little long. (back ground) I am/was a mother to three, two boys and a girl. While married to their father for nine years, I suffered emotional and physical abuse. My ex fractured my hip, caused severe disc problems and shook me. Turns out he was diagnosed bi-polar. I finally went to a support group called ALIVE which helped me to understand I was not at fault and the relationship was toxic and so I left and divorced my ex. I fell in love two years later with my new husband and we have been married for 32 yrs.

As a mother of three, my eldest son died at 33 yrs old on 12/31/2011 at 10:39pm. He had childhood and adult onset paranoia schizophrenia. My middle child, a girl who is 37 yrs old and married her high school sweet heart, she is now a mother and has the cutest little girl. My youngest son (35 yrs old) has had very little to do with me since around 18 yrs old, but more so since his brother’s death.

My youngest son is/was a heroin junkie from 17yrs old and is now taking Butran (a drug they give you to get off heroin) probably still relapses,he is alt-left and an atheist. I paid for 4 stays in rehab, went to the family counseling, etc. no judgement. I am a Conservative Libertarian and a Christian. I have never forced my religious or political beliefs down his throat. He has always been somewhat aloof except when he needed my help. He and I have not spoken of his brother’s death, and he has refused to do so.

Last September 2018, I called him and asked why he didn’t want much to do with me. He said he couldn’t deal with it and it would have to “tabled” until later and we ended our conversation abruptly after that. My son lives in Alaska and is a chef. He has a close relationship with his sister and visits her twice a year. She also had started to pull away, rarely calling, not answering my calls.

I am a very strong woman, had to be. I worked as a VP of Contracts any Finance for a DoD Army Contractor for 25 years, took full time care of my eldest son and tried to be the best parent I could be.

These past two weeks I have decided I wanted to know what was going on with my son. He would send cryptic emails, not coming right out saying he didn’t want anything with me, but hinted all around it. These emails made me furious, so I called and left a voice message stating “why can’t you grow a pair, man up and just say if don’t want anything to do with me. Well this morning I received an email from him. See below

“Dear Mom,

To the point.
Our relationship has inflicted major trauma on me. I am working through it. I believe our relationship is dysfunctional at it’s best… and toxic at it’s worst. I developed really horrible coping mechanisms as a result. Now that I can see the past as an adult. it’s so clear.

I thinking going into the details wouldn’t serve either of us. I think you wouldn’t take responsibility and it would backfire on me.

I am going to do what’s best for me.

If you can’t understand that, I am sorry. Though I know I am doing what’s best for me.

I need time and understanding to even consider working with you to build something new and positive.

I am open to that that though if you are. maybe we can eventually put this all behind us.”

Well I’m not open to it. Am I wrong for wanting to say f*** off?

teen witch fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Drunk Nerds posted:

I scolded my kids this morning, "I can't believe you're acting so poorly." Then I realized, it really should be, "I can't believe I haven't put in the effort to figure out why you're acting so poorly and engage you in a way that fixes that." I think these parents never make that introspective connection.

Lol it doesn't make you a bad parent or a narcissist to be shocked at your child's poor judgement from time to time.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

teen witch posted:

:hf: share what you wish, no obligation. I love my dad too but turns out brutal civil wars and a low key genocide fucks with a kid. Still keeping my distance because while it may explain who he is, it certainly doesn’t loving excuse his behavior towards me.

Thanks 😘

My favorite mom stories that aren't traumatic:
- Her and my aunt being blitzed on coke and weed while hosting a Halloween party/sleepover of several 11 year old girls. Party was fun and a hit though, helped me make some friends lmao

- Taking me to work with her after hours at the country club to make a gingerbread house with all the supplies they were going to throw away after the rich kids paid to make some and absolutely cursing out her boss in front of like 5 year old me when he threatened to fire her for it. :3:

- Letting me play MK2 with her and her co-workers while they drank and smoked (& did coke in the bathroom probably) & only one of them actually taking it easy on me cause I was a 7 year old child. 😂

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

There Bias Two posted:

I'd suggest seeking out a therapist to help you process this better. Your feelings are valid, and no amount of money or kindness to your kids can erase the years of abuse he inflicted on you.

Nah. I am OK with it. It's just a missed opportunity for him, really. I don't feel like going through all the effort of patching it up and I am glad he's good to all the grandkids now.

Drunk Nerds posted:

Yeah, mention you need another new sewer line, but it's just a metaphor for processing the poo poo in your memories

Oh, let me tell you, it was real. Had a literal poo poo pond in my yard for about a week.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Some of these people might be having a legit hard time. My aunt never gets to see her nieces and nephew and its no fault of her own, the woman my cousin married is a strange and cruel woman. She's just so mean and never lets her contact them at all and I know that my aunt didn't do anything to deserve it.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
again, read the issendai blog, which has articles on how yes some people abandon others for no reason and/but here's some tips on how to read these posts to tell which people are those and which people are unreliable narrators who can somehow never ever ever tell you anything concrete about anything

e: http://www.issendai.com/psychology/estrangement/which-parents-are-abusive.html

InediblePenguin fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 13, 2019

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

CassandraZara posted:

Lol it doesn't make you a bad parent or a narcissist to be shocked at your child's poor judgement from time to time.

That does it I ESTRANGE YOU!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
An interesting thing the blog linked in the OP posits is that, while some estranged parents really do have solid reasons why they aren't abusers, those people filter out of the estranged parents forums to more specific groups: estranged parents of drug abusers filter out to support groups for families of drug abusers, etc.

So while we can't always be sure an estranged parent is abusive, we can be sure someone who hangs out for a while on an estranged parent forum is abusive, because if their allegations were true they would instead be in a group that focuses more specifically on the exact form of abuse they are suffering

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its kind of like Incels, if you have a specific issue that isnt "you, holisitically, as a person" youll eventually filter out or be forced out.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

In a way it’s a sort of micro boomer variation on inceldom, you get a bunch of people who focus on some sort of non-specific social lack that is considered part of a normal life they feel entitled too, and it spirals into a group who builds their identity around a false victimhood and denial of their lovely personality as a contributing factor.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

In a way it’s a sort of micro boomer variation on inceldom, you get a bunch of people who focus on some sort of non-specific social lack that is considered part of a normal life they feel entitled too, and it spirals into a group who builds their identity around a false victimhood and denial of their lovely personality as a contributing factor.

:drat: I’ve never thought about this before, this makes a ton of loving sense.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

It's kind of fascinating(slash-distressing) how many of these people talk about literal children that aren't theirs, too. Like, they desperately want access to their grandchildren, but get incredibly annoyed or offended by age-appropriate behavior like "getting cranky" or "not wanting to hug an unfamiliar person."

Maybe we as a society should destigmatize the ownership of of those realistic-looking baby dolls, because they seem much more appropriate for this kind of person than actual living tiny humans.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

tudabee posted:

Maybe we as a society should destigmatize the ownership of of those realistic-looking baby dolls, because they seem much more appropriate for this kind of person than actual living tiny humans.

Yeah that sounds cool, and we should go the extra mile by making virtual worlds where these parents can make virtual kids and live out what ever fantasies they fancy, while containing and analyzing these fukken people.

father vivian
May 5, 2008

WE'VE OBTAINED ENERGY RECOVERY PILLS
Here's a good self-estrangement tale.

My mother-in-law goes to a super religious church, we go to a Unitarian heathen church which she has a serious problem with. We never bring up religion with her, and we ignore/deflect the hellfire and brimstone comments in the nicest most polite way possible (guess where our kids our going when they die since they we never baptized!).

We always invite them to do fun stuff and encourage them to spend time with the grand-kids. Despite this, they moved to the other side of the country to live near their flaky son who does happen to attend the same church. My wife gets monthly tear filled phone calls from mum about why we are doing this to her and why we are trying to cut her out of our lives :shrug:

I feel the worst for my father-in-law who is actually cool

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

The Dregs posted:

I have the opposite problems these kids do. My dad was an abusive, violet, drunken rear end in a top hat growing up. I grew up in constant fear of punishment and caught beatings a couple times a week. The thing is, now he's a sweetheart. Still a drunk, but a nice one. All the grandkids love him. He took my daughters on a cruise. He heard I needed money for a new sewer line in my yard and called me to take care of it. I kinda feel guilty that I still don't want to be close to him, but what can I do? I don't even know how.

Same here, though to my dad's credit he wasn't physically violent but he was still emotionally and verbally abusive. Good memories of my sister and I witnessing him being drunk in public stumbling and singing, etc. He also had many of the traits of a covert narcissist.

It didn't help that my mother, who came from a very emotionally cold and strict family, was never really good at expressing affection and warmth at least past little kid days. Instead of the warmth and comfort from my mom for my troubles growing up, I was always told to look to God to get that. At a pretty low point as a teen where I could have used the support the most she got angry at me instead saying I had nothing to be sad about. Ever since then as a kid I realized I could never turn to my mom for emotional support. What's worse, I think I was the 'golden child' so my older sister must have definitely had it harder.

My parents gave my sister and I everything we needed as far as physical well being goes, including spoiling us from time to time with toys and goods. But they were never really involved in our lives or very good at the emotional labor with us, and it seems both my sister and I are a little stunted in some ways thanks to it. I should note that at one point when we were both between the ages of 5-8 our parents had to leave us with our grandparents for a few years since they were both military and getting deployed to S.Korea.

It's weird now, my dad has changed from angry drunken idiot to sad drunken idiot. My parent's have always had a terrible marriage that was barely holding together so they are just two people barely tolerating each other's presence for what seems like our sake. We used to visit them since they were so close, but now my sister barely speaks with them unless it's a holiday where she gives a brief call or she needs someone to watch her dog. I'm in therapy for this but it's still fills me with so many mixed feelings. Wanting to be there with them and be close but at the same time not wanting to.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

BluesShaman posted:

I don't think that's how brain chemistry works.

A personality disorder is a set of deeply ingrained and maladjusted thinking, beliefs, and coping mechanisms, that are developed as a result of your childhood environments. They're very different from schizophrenia, anxiety disorders, or depression, although they're often comorbid with a few of those particular disorders. That's what makes personality disorders so notoriously difficult to live with (as the person with one, or with someone who has one) and treat--you're not just fighting against brain chemistry, you're also fighting family and personal history, belief systems, coping mechanisms, etc.

Home environment is massively influential in every single way for babies and children. Not being touched or held as a baby can literally stunt weight gain and development.

Bobbie Wickham fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 13, 2019

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Here’s the quote on Reddit about the author who founded the “rejected parents” community from a user claiming to be her Son’s wife. Apparently other people who personally have known the author have left other comments on some of her works that appears on places like yahoo or good housekeeping basically saying the same thing, that she uninvited herself and lied constantly.

Sheri’s daughter in law posted:

Stumbled upon this thread and THANK GOD. I am “Dans" wife. This book is, sadly for my MIL, fiction, or her twisted view she's come to believe. Thanks to all who have our backs. It can be a lonely road when you feel your entire in law family have ill feelings towards you and their own son..certain family members even referred to me as a succubus bitch, had to Google that one lol..bet thats not in the book. We've tried to fix things multiple times but some people can't move forward for some reason. It was sad to read this book and I honestly felt like we were made to be the villain. I've read so many mean comments about how I must be controlling or want him all to myself, quite the contrary. I'm here to tell you all that I encourage my husband to have a relationship with his family despite their feelings for me; however, my MIL demands some kind of justice that, I feel, can never be fulfilled....and NO ONE WAS UNINVITED TO THE WEDDING and trust me when I say their presence and everyone in their family was greatly missed (we still had an amazing time ;). If anyone knows “Dan” (this feels so dumb) then you know he's kind, loyal and will always love his family. So, we press on and have built a wonderful happy family together and have MANY successful relationships with friends and family. I've toyed with writing our tell all but... I don't want anymore hurt and don't need that kind of negativity in our life. At the end of the day I feel this comes down to my mother in law's pride and feelings of losing control on a situation she could, for once, not control. If this book would have helped her heal then bravo, but by the vicious call he received the other night says otherwise. In the end it's sad that they've estranged us.. we've called, sent emails..heck even my parents tried to reach out to them before the wedding. I'm still sad and don't know why I torture myself reading biased nasty comments about what kind of wife I must be (in actuality “Dan” says I'm top notch and I sing his praises whenever possible). Anyways, I welcome questions :) -Carolyn

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
This issentai site sounds like an anime and that's pretty sketchy.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
I think the fuckeduppness for that person bled out in anime

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Colonel Cancer posted:

i promise the japanese name won't bite you

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Colonel Cancer posted:

I was thrown off by it, too, but it's anime-free

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

if i asked my mother if she loved me, she'd always avoid answering, or say "what do you think". lol, very healthy for a child. i also got the piss beaten out of me on the regular. but why don't i want to staaayyyyy?

i don't want to imagine the kind of person i'd be if my father wasn't around when i was young. he died early and she became an even worse person without him to balance it out

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe
My mother and I were estranged when she died and I still don't regret it, 14 years later.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

what always struck me (other than her fists) is just how loving bored she was of me. if you haven't been there, it's hard to describe just how awful it feels

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Colonel Cancer posted:

Yeah I don’t understand why some random anime site keeps being linked as the ultimate authority on estrangement but here we are. I guess after you’re done reading about estrangement you can check out the jrpg reviews or read about how to make “Miso Soup for the Otaku Soul”.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pawn 17 posted:

Yeah I don’t understand why some random anime site keeps being linked as the ultimate authority on estrangement but here we are. I guess after you’re done reading about estrangement you can check out the jrpg reviews or read about how to make “Miso Soup for the Otaku Soul”.

It is not an ultimate authority, but it is one source instead of many that is comprehensive and also explains the data that was used. To be clear, Issendai is a content expert on that particular internet forum we are mining from, not on the phenomenon of estranged parenthood.

I’d also be super interested in complicating or contradicting what that one person says with evidence from the forum. But maybe not just because of the website name?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

i'm sorry japanese words give you guys the screaming willies. doesn't invalidate anything they've researched, though

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Pawn 17 posted:

The site has literally nothing to do with anime

Chairman Mao
Apr 24, 2004

The Chinese Communist Party is the core of leadership of the whole Chinese people. Without this core, the cause of socialism cannot be victorious.

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

The site has literally nothing to do with anime

A low rumble emerges from the distance, growing ever louder, birds flee from their perches, small mammals scurry away, a mighty, deafening whoosh sounds from overhead. SpaceSDoorGunner looks up, but sees nothing.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

:smith:

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

IDK why we're having this conversation on a dead gay comedy forum but I guess after we're done we can go read threads about anime and Star Trek

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

InediblePenguin posted:

IDK why we're having this conversation on a dead gay comedy forum but I guess after we're done we can go read threads about anime and Star Trek

This dead gay forum was always about examining human misery and the weird ways it manifests itself on the internet. This thread is like a cross between the /r/relationships thread and the boomer thread.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A Progression:

quote:

Your post was so very sad, and it could have been one of mine! My son, too, told me and his father that he loves us, but he feels he must stand by his wife (who is toxic, and we believe narcissistic) because he now has the responsibility of being not just a husband, but a father, too. Unfortunately, he has participated along with his wife in using their daughter as a weapon to get me to continue taking his wife’s abuse. I refuse to do that, so consequently, I haven’t seen my only GD in six months.

There are few ways we can describe how our sons are “taken over” to people who haven’t gone through this. It’s as if he’s a stranger to me now. Nothing I say, nothing his father says gets through to him. In my case the DIL has a very large, very enmeshed family. The first thing my son said to me when he started dating this girl was that she had a very controlling mother. Well, she is not only controlling, but a liar and a manipulator. When I pointed out to him one day how he had specifically told me that this woman was very controlling, his exact words were: “Well I love her now.” OMG, right?

[b[I know that my son is not strong enough to challenge his wife. He could never challenge anyone. My husband and I saw a therapist about this issue, and after describing our son to him, the therapist said that our son was “at risk” for being manipulated by a stronger women. See, he was always in Special Ed, got harassed a lot by the neighborhood kids, and became a real “pleaser” just to have friends.
It’s really disturbing that with this problem we might hope for the marriage to break up so we can have our sons back.[/b] That’s not what I want for him, but I can’t help feeling that way sometimes. I do believe that we are right to stand up for ourselves and find peace wherever we can find it. And like Einnov56, I feel that I cannot go back to a toxic relationship with the manipulative, passive aggressive, controlling person that is my DIL. I’m thankful for my loving, supportive daughter.

As far as triggers go, the only way I can deal with them is to actually experience the pain and then step back and let it go. I know that sounds almost crazy, but it’s become the way I’ve dealt with all of this. I just don’t know what else to do. This is going to hurt, until it doesn’t so much anymore. I lost a baby brother to leukemia and my first husband to the horrors of Vietnam; and even though this is WORSE, I just keep telling myself that like those tragedies, I will get through this.

I had a suspicion, after reading this, that something had happened between the grandmother and the granddaughter precipitating the "estrangement" and control by the daughter-in-law. You tell me what you think:

quote:

Hello Dear Swoosh
Welcome to the forum. I say that even though I wish with all my heart that none of us had the need for this support group.
I will tell you my recent experience and give you my thoughts, but ultimately the decision will come down to whether or not you think you are strong enough to endure what may turn out to be a disappointing event. My H and I started noticing a pulling away of our ES when he became engaged to his wife of 3 years. There have been a few things that we chose to ignore involving things she and her mother said about me or both of us to our son that caused trouble. Then about seven months ago at our GD’s (one and only grandchild) christening, our son and his wife took offense at a gift we gave. Long story short, we have not been able to work things out–mostly because our DIL refuses to apologize or take any responsibility for what she said and did. We have been “estranged” since then.

Then recently out of the blue we were invited to our GD’s first birthday party. I believe it was just to save face with her large family. Like your husband, mine said we must go. It was EXTREMELY difficult for me. I talked to my pastor, therapist, friends, and listened to the words and advice posted here. And it took a few tranquilizers to get through the party. It was disappointing. It was not an opportunity to reconcile. Our GD doesn’t know us any longer and cried out of fear when I tried to hold her. And now two weeks later, I am still pretty much back to square one of pain and grief.

If you truly care for your niece, and you have a lot of support within your family (we did not because most of them are dead, and our daughter lives across the country) you may be fine. If it were me, I wouldn’t try to engage with her, however. I would smile and say hi. Then I would try to enjoy as much as I could by pretending she wasn’t there. Believe me, I know it’s easy to say. Only you can decide how difficult it is to do.

You may see this as an opportunity to see your family and be part of your niece’s wedding. After all, you have every right! It might be a bad thing to isolate yourself from others. But it depends really on how much you feel you can handle. Best of luck in your decision-making process. Whatever you do–do it for yourself.
God bless.

in response to a thread called "it didn't start with you" posted:

Hi All,
This is a very interesting topic to me, and I enjoyed all of your comments. My daughter (who is the love of my life and not the EC) is the daughter of my first husband whose family was filled with nothing but tragedy. He, in fact, was a disabled veteran from the Vietnam conflict and died at a very young age. She has always been a kind, soft soul who has suffered from on and off again depression, but thank God has been doing well for years. Unfortunately, she is across the country from me. She never wanted to get married and have children, and she never did.

And while my husband’s family is intact and everything always seemed fine, they have had their share of tragedies. My family on the other hand (first generation Italian immigrants) is filled with scapegoating, cheating one another, and estrangement.

But most significant is that I have been told I’m an empath by a therapist years ago. Not only was my mother diagnosed with BPD, but now my DIL, it seems, has many of the same characteristics of both NPD and BPD. I guess I was just primed to be abused.

I don’t want to be abused anymore! Thank you all for your words of wisdom.

quote:

SummerDaisy,
Sounds like you have a smart daughter! GettingStronger, I am facing the same thing with my son’s birthday next week.We have been estranged now for eight months with several attempts at reconciliation. The problem centers around his wife. And while there was absolutely no problem with our son prior, my husband, daughter, and I all agree that since he married into this family with a horribly controlling wife and MIL, he is not the same person.

I honestly don’t know what I will do for his birthday. He actually called me two weeks ago. We talked about his new job and our GD who is 13 months old now. I was babysitting for her up until eight months ago when my DIL caused the split. He told me he misses me and loves me. But then I had the audacity to suggest a family mediator to settle our problems (all caused by his wife) and we haven’t heard from him since.

I just thank God for Sheri’s book and this website. In fact, I recommended it to a friend just today. It’s disgraceful, but we seem to be living in a time when it’s easy to toss aside your parents.

quote:

Dear HoneyBee60
My heart goes out to you. What you did took tremendous courage and strength. I don’t even have the words to express how it makes me feel. You will be in my thoughts all day.

I had a similar situation at Christmas time when my ES drove with his 10 month old daughter (my only GC who prior to the split I babysat one full day per week) to pick up his sister who was visiting from across the country. He pulled up in front of the house, beeped, and my daughter went into his car. It was all I could do to control myself. I would have rather been stabbed with a large knife. It sure has felt over and over again throughout these eight months that my miserable DIL and her controlling, sick mother have stuck a knives into my back.

God bless you. Stay strong.

quote:

Hello to all. My husband and I were away for a couple of days, so I am just getting to this post now. I was thinking about starting a Mothers’ Day post, I am glad it’s already here.

This is my first MD with this problem, too. Since both my mother and mother-in-law rest in peace, my daughter is across the country, and my ES apparently has a new mother now, I decided to fly out the coop. I am going to visit a very good friend who recently moved far away. All of her sons live in other states, so she will be alone too.

To be honest, even if we weren’t estranged, I would be in a quandary about this MD anyway. Let me tell you what happened last year. It was the first MD for my DIL–the baby being three months old. So I proposed to my son that we all go out to a restaurant together–her parents, him and wife, me and husband. He squirmed a little and said “…no they were going to go to the racetrack, just the three of them.” I had asked my close group of friends what I should get her for MD. Since my DIL liked massages and I had gotten them for her before, they suggested I buy her a gift certificate for a massage with someone near my home with an offer of babysitting and lunch afterwards. This way, they surmised, I would get to spend time with my granddaughter. I wish you could have seen her face when I gave her the gift. She looked disgusted, tossed the card across the table, and NEVER USED IT. Then on MD I saw posted all over FB pictures of my son, my GD, her, her mother and aunts AT THE TRACK together. I never said anything to my son or her because I tried very, very hard not to create conflict. Yea, lots of good it did me.

I love what wrkgmom said about celebrating the fact that we survived motherhood. I also agree with the suggestions of Seafarer. We all deserve something very special, let’s all try to enjoy the day. Best wishes to all…

quote:

Hello to all the wonderful, compassionate women in this forum. I tried to escape Mothers’ Day by taking a trip (alone) to see a very close friend who recently moved to another state. And although we enjoyed a great time together, Mothers’ Day loomed ever present over my head. I got back from my trip yesterday to yet more estrangement trauma.

My friend has four sons who live in other states and outside the country, but everyone of them called his mom. Not me. I got nothing from my son. However, it was on MD that my husband decided to tell me that he took his aunt’s advice and wrote our ES a letter. Months ago after several emails to our ES we decided that it wasn’t a good idea to write to him because we thought his wife was reading the emails and controlling his responses. He completely ignored this as well as my advice to not write again. In this letter he pretty much groveled and begged our ES to get in touch with me on MD. He was so angry that he did not write, call, or text that he said he wanted to beat him up. Now, anyone who knows my husband knows that it takes an awful lot to get him that angry. He also told me that his aunt decided that her, her daughter and SIL were going to my ES’s house today to talk to him. My husband argued very strongly against it, but she went anyway.

Then on my first full day back his aunt called and started demanding that we had to get past all this and ignore what happened. She kept saying “do you want an apology or a granddaughter?” She basically has no clue what really happened and has no idea what we want. Waiting for an apology was not primary. Our DIL was abusive to me, her mother lied about me, our ES over and over again promised we would work it out then refused to, he lied to us several times, he told us we could not see our GD without his wife being there and only at their house, his wife yelled at my husband; the list of their awful behavior just goes on and on. In our last conversation I suggested a mediator and he went “dark” for two months, refusing all my texts and calls. And now this clueless woman interjected herself into this mess and got me and my husband all upset. My husband hung up the phone on her and she called a few hours later and left a message that basically said we must go over to ES house or we’re in the wrong.

Oh, and did I mention that the DIL’s parents now live in my son’s house. It’s not bad enough that my son is married to a controlling, twisted women with BPD/NPD, her evil mother and puppet father have been living with them for five months now. I can’t see myself going to my ES house when he has behaved so badly, along with his horrible wife, and equally horrible MIL just to see my GD who doesn’t even know us any longer. She was in our lives for only five months when our DIL got angry because of our Christening gift ($500 in a Guardian Account) and the fact that I explained it to my son in front of her family.
My son has been married 3 1/2 years and 2 1/2 of them he has lived with his in-laws! This woman (the DIL) is so sickeningly enmeshed with her family, and her mother wants total control over the entire family. She has tried twice before to eliminate me.

It just seems that every time I make some progress and feel good again, something happens (involving my ungrateful ES and hateful DIL) to turn my world upside down.

Anyway, it was not my intention to ramble on. I wanted you to know that every day I checked in with the forum, but I forgot to bring my password so I could not respond to anything anyone wrote. There was so much I wanted to say but couldn’t! First I want to thank Sheri for her thoughtful email. And to the numerous mothers who suffered through the holiday I want to give you all a big hug and say WE SURVIVED SISTERS. My heart will forever be broken for all of us. Everyone of your stories is tragic. In addition to you all, there are at least four friends in my life who are suffering with this problem. It is indeed an epidemic. I also wanted to mimic what was said about how this problem is now not just a western civ problem. My Indian doctor told me it has happened in her family and that not that long ago it was unthinkable.

Thank you all for being here. I hope we all have better days ahead. Love and peace to all of you.

Custodial Account Vs. Guardian Account posted:

Custodial accounts and guardian accounts both involve handling finances for those who are not able to manage their own money, but they fall under different legal guidelines and have separate purposes. Custodial accounts are investment accounts for children, and guardian accounts are for those who need help with their financial transactions due to a disability.

Gee, I wonder why your son who you all but call a retard in 80% of your posts would be offended by this?

As for everyone living together: I speculate that they are in fact not very well off, in part because the son has had to cut off his parents. Son, shockingly, actually likes his in laws, and his inlaws help take care of the child. The living together is a temporary situation saving money for something better, but NarGram will never know that because no one wants her to know anything.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Finding the smoking gun in these is kind of delightful, it's like solving a murder mystery. I didn't see it at all in your bolded posts, then you mentioned she thinks her kid is super slow, and the clues are all there:

- Gives gift that offends daughter-in-law, but doesn't say what the gift is
- Mentions son was in special education and this caused him a lot of strife
- Gift turns out to be $500 in a fund that is specifically made for people who are too disabled to do their own banking

Well sleuted

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I've got mommy issues. A whole mommy subscription, even.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

It's really super weird how they all use the word "enmeshed" to describe someone getting along well with their family.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drunk Nerds posted:

Finding the smoking gun in these is kind of delightful, it's like solving a murder mystery. I didn't see it at all in your bolded posts, then you mentioned she thinks her kid is super slow, and the clues are all there:

- Gives gift that offends daughter-in-law, but doesn't say what the gift is
- Mentions son was in special education and this caused him a lot of strife
- Gift turns out to be $500 in a fund that is specifically made for people who are too disabled to do their own banking

Well sleuted

My day job involves close reading. At night I use my powers for Pettiness.

Edit:

their last post, thus far posted:

Dearest BeHere4Me
Thank you so much for your kind words. Every once in a while I feel I need validation on this point. It is truly incomprehensible for me, my husband, my daughter, my closest friends, and a few therapists to understand this kind of behavior. UNLESS you couch it into the idea that they are some how VICTIMS. Victims of cruel, thoughtless parents. When my DILFH called to tell me off she actually said, “….is our daughter and we will take care of her as we see fit.” Now, how stupid was saying that to me? It turns out that they never even called their bank to check to see if I was telling the truth about the restrictions of the account. They just preferred to assume I was making it up!!!

The only way they could toss us aside was if they believed they were victims. During this mess of estrangement and attempts at reconciliation at one point my ES said to me, “…you didn’t even want to come to the hospital when the baby was being born.” It was all I could do to keep from wrestling him to the floor and punching the crap out of him. His wife was due in March. He didn’t want my husband and I to visit our daughter during the month of March so we scheduled it during February. On the day his wife went into labor (five weeks early), he called at 6:45 a.m. We were at the hospital one hour later. It took us 45 minutes to get there. We waited all day in the waiting lounge. We paid for pizza for everyone in her “cult” of a family that was there. She didn’t give birth. The next day we went again with seven sandwiches of homemade chicken salad I made the night before. Not one of her family would eat them–they preferred the garbage from the vending machines. The reason my foolish ES said I didn’t WANT to be there (never mind that I was) was because I had asked him something like, oh you want us to be there? I NEVER said I didn’t want to be there, I just asked that question. What did I know? It was my first grandchild and my parents weren’t there when I gave birth twice. It just wasn’t done back then.

Now tell me, isn’t that worth laughing at? It turns out that I just can’t win with him. I have many, many stories I could write about how they chose to see themselves as victims, but it really isn’t worth it. The truth is that somewhere along the line he adopted this twisted, entitled, victim role that his wife plays and there’s nothing anyone can do about it.

There’s no doubt in my mind that this kind of sick thinking is what’s behind the flood of adult “children” estranging from loving parents. And I believe keeping your grandchildren from you (however you do it ) takes it to a whole other level of sickness.

Be well my friends.

MasBrillante fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 14, 2019

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I kind of assumed the couple who moved in with their parents even though they had their own condo that sat empty for months, that there was complications with the pregnancy.

It would be typical of an NPD to see that and view it as a privilege for the daughter's parents that the NPD is being unfairly denied.

A recurring theme with NPD parents of a husband is not understanding that his wife is much more comfortable with her own parents when it comes to health/body issues. NPDs view that comfort/preference as a slight as well.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

It's really super weird how they all use the word "enmeshed" to describe someone getting along well with their family.

it's like when people say that having boundaries which cut them out of your life is abusive, or even "so much for the tolerant left" -- they learned a word that means a thing is bad, and how to turn it on their enemies even though it only fits because they misunderstand (or forcibly twist) the term's meaning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LabyaMynora posted:

I kind of assumed the couple who moved in with their parents even though they had their own condo that sat empty for months, that there was complications with the pregnancy.

It would be typical of an NPD to see that and view it as a privilege for the daughter's parents that the NPD is being unfairly denied.

A recurring theme with NPD parents of a husband is not understanding that his wife is much more comfortable with her own parents when it comes to health/body issues. NPDs view that comfort/preference as a slight as well.

The way she also keeps calling the family a cult makes me think there are ethnic or cultural overtures in how she is reacting to the family. It’s common for racists to view certain groups as hyperfertile and bent on subsuming “true American culture.” Op emphasizes being a child of Italian immigrants at a time where assimilation was a point of pride. I’m MUCH less confident about this conclusion but my suspicion is that she thinks her grandchild is being groomed to hate her by cultural interlopers. Also lol that no one wants to eat her toxic hate food that is probably made with contempt and mayonnaise.