Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
what does it MMMM WHATCHA SAAAAAYYYY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Seldom Posts posted:

Was is just a fever dream or did Dr. McNinja have a guest comic where time travellers killed Hitler and then giant hasidic jewish people destroyed the world? I seem to recall both Hastings and the guest artist being suprised that it would be considered anti-Semitic and had to be convinced to take it down.

Ah, you're thinking of Attack on Titan.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Riatsala posted:

What does it say about a man if he regularly encourages better, more talented guest artists to poo poo all over his boring milquetoast comic?

Literally, in this case.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

This picture made me stop and evaluate. Making the Romans into dogs made me actually look at what is really happening. Putting something that everyone is familiar with in a situation that no one knows, that takes amazing talent. Thank you.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

This picture made me stop and evaluate. Making the Romans into dogs

Wait they're not kangaroos?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Why does Ceasar-Dog have a little pube stache?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Johnny Aztec posted:

Caesar was famous for demanding mosaics of Vir Araneus

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Johnny Aztec posted:

Caesar means hairy.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Johnny Aztec posted:

I remember something from the classical history thread in ask/tell about how it was cool around Caesar's time for youths to grow a moustache.

When I say remember I mean I made a mental association that could be completely wrong.

Grevling has a new favorite as of 18:10 on Jul 12, 2019

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

ChubbyChecker posted:

Caesar means hairy.
Well I'm never eating a Caesar salad.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

How about tossing it then?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Salad tossing is overrated, to get the job done on a thick chunky salad you need to stick in a long hard wooden spoon and move it with all your might.:arghfist::haibrow:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
gently caress salad.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
man i'm trying but the spoon just ain't going in

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
https://twitter.com/Paul_Dini/status/1149819865223483392?s=20

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
a friend of mine reminded me of Hitmen for Destiny recently, and I've been re-reading through it. It's got horrible artwork but a surprisingly compelling story, I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it yet. I can't think of a single comic that's representative of the whole thing, but the very first comic does a good job of building a world and giving you questions you want answered.

http://hitmen.thecomicseries.com

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Hitmen for Destiny is one of the greatest webcomics of all time and while the art is rough, it's actually quite functional once you get used to it.

His current comic Trixie Slaughteraxe for President is pretty good as well.

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!
Anime club from gun show always has a place in my heart.

https://gunshowcomic.com/ac/part0/

e:

Qwezz has a new favorite as of 22:08 on Jul 13, 2019

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Jerry Cotton posted:

Caesar was famous for demanding mosaics of Vir Araneus

:agesilaus: :hf: :dadjoke:

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

My favorite guest/parody comic was one somebody made of SMBC, where the panel just showed the back of a single person's head and the caption was "I chose this angle so I would have to do the least amount of drawing."

I can't remember who made it though and I never found it again. And to Weinersmith's credit he did reduce how often he relied on that crutch.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Kennel posted:

Hitmen for Destiny is one of the greatest webcomics of all time and while the art is rough, it's actually quite functional once you get used to it.

His current comic Trixie Slaughteraxe for President is pretty good as well.

He also apparently did a recent one about his thoughts on suicide and homosexuality which I haven't clicked because I don't know if I want to know.

http://evolutions.thecomicseries.com/

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Len posted:

He also apparently did a recent one about his thoughts on suicide and homosexuality which I haven't clicked because I don't know if I want to know.

http://evolutions.thecomicseries.com/

I suggest you not read it as it is extremely boring.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
His stupid theories are usually good content for farcical adventures but that seems awkwardly serious.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Get your rear end whooped, you uptight rabbit

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Kennel posted:

His stupid theories are usually good content for farcical adventures but that seems awkwardly serious.

Right? I don't want to know about his theory on homosexuality or suicide. I just want to hear about more ridiculous 3 brained creatures that are overly thought out and ridiculous

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

a friend of mine reminded me of Hitmen for Destiny recently, and I've been re-reading through it. It's got horrible artwork but a surprisingly compelling story, I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it yet. I can't think of a single comic that's representative of the whole thing, but the very first comic does a good job of building a world and giving you questions you want answered.

http://hitmen.thecomicseries.com

The farce chapter on the cruise ship is some of the best webcomics there have ever been

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Gokuweed420
Feb 1, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
drat he must have a big penis. Quite large at least

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Looks like he escaped from squatopian freedom.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

When you gotta remember to chew before you swallow

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Len posted:

Right? I don't want to know about his theory on homosexuality or suicide. I just want to hear about more ridiculous 3 brained creatures that are overly thought out and ridiculous

So, it's not actually that bad. Homophobia and suicide are two big serious topics and it feels a little disrespectful to see suicide illustrated in Thorsby's style, but he doesn't go bigot or anything -- just tries to argue that there can be an evolutionary drive towards homosexuality and suicide, even though it seems like there wouldn't be.

My main problem with it is that focusing on evolutionary drives to things like that is a big red herring: we aren't defined by our evolution any more, and although he acknowledges that, spending so much time focusing on evolutionary reasons for a thing still gives ground to the mindset that everything inhuman behaviour is down to :biotruths:.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Arrhythmia posted:

The farce chapter on the cruise ship is some of the best webcomics there have ever been
I just read the whole thing tonight in one sitting and yeah, anyone who hasn’t needs to give it a shot, it all plays out in a really satisfying way. I think the MSPaint-grade artwork makes it work better somehow.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Lazlo Nibble posted:

I just read the whole thing tonight in one sitting and yeah, anyone who hasn’t needs to give it a shot, it all plays out in a really satisfying way. I think the MSPaint-grade artwork makes it work better somehow.

The artwork makes you think the writing is gonna be trash but then you find yourself about 50 pages deep into a discussion of alien biology and the sort of society it creates and it’s utterly compelling

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Webcomics are really tricky because good art and good writing are obviously two skillsets that aren't necessarily connected at all, and it's rare enough to find a comic with one, let alone both. There's a point where you can respect an artist for deciding to tell the story they want to tell even if they can't illustrate it nearly as well as they'd probably like to.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I started rereading Hitmen because of this thread, just got to Lostclock's ghost rant. That's some good Thorsby

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Of course, you also sometimes then get an artist with the required skill to make a subjectively attractive comic, but instead they poo poo out some confusing garbage pile like Goblins. I feel like Hitmen For Destiny, if not technically proficient, at least understands things like framing, clarity, and how not overcrowd a scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018