Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Leatherface 2017 should be limited to the dead meat kill count.

In the background while you’re cleaning your toilet or something.

It’s a real bad movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ive said it before ill say it again leatherface 2017 is a good movie on its own but a bad texas chainsaw movie

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Kvlt! posted:

ive said it before ill say it again leatherface 2017 is a good movie on its own but a bad texas chainsaw movie

That's pretty common with a lot of late additions to horror movie franchises: they'd work so much better if they were just doing their own thing and not trying to tie themselves back into the the properties they're connected with.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Darko posted:

Shelly was annoying, but the guy at the beginning of Part 5 made him retroactively better because you could then say "at least it's not that guy."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoZDSctyBE0

Reminds me of Franklin(?) from TCM, except you kind of/want to feel bad for him as a fifth wheel, but god it's a relief by the time leatherface dispatches him....

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

SecretOfSteel posted:

Reminds me of Franklin(?) from TCM, except you kind of/want to feel bad for him as a fifth wheel, but god it's a relief by the time leatherface dispatches him....

Yeah, Franklin is smack dab in the middle of Shelly and Roy's son. He's annoying as hell, but almooooooost sympathetic.

edit: When it comes to annoying characters in a TCM movie, I find P4 Leatherface even more annoying than Franklin.

Darko fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 14, 2019

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Darko posted:

Shelly was annoying, but the guy at the beginning of Part 5 made him retroactively better because you could then say "at least it's not that guy."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoZDSctyBE0

The dude chopping wood is Suicide from Return of the Living Dead. I wish he was in more movies, but he died young.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
I wanted to like The Ranger more. There's a lot of good goo filling up the runtime but it does a really poor job connecting its ideas.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Man, I was really expecting The Autopsy Of Jane Doe to be a stinker but I really really enjoyed it. No spoilers, but it went in directions I really wasn't expecting, and I always love watching Brian Cox and Roose Bolton and that kid from Into the Wild.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

M_Sinistrari posted:

I can't remember if I even sat through that one since everything after the '03 remake all blurs together in one gritty sepia toned lump.

Wasn't the one after the 2003 remake (The Beginning?) supposed to be decent? I can't remember at all either.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

COOL CORN posted:

Man, I was really expecting The Autopsy Of Jane Doe to be a stinker but I really really enjoyed it. No spoilers, but it went in directions I really wasn't expecting, and I always love watching Brian Cox and Roose Bolton and that kid from Into the Wild.

Here's my opinion of Autopsy of Jane Doe, charted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Shrecknet posted:

Same, honestly. The movie really pulls you in with its core mystery just to push you back out with a lot of unnecessary running around. It's like they were afraid to just make a spooky autopsy mystery in a morgue and shoved in a "gettin' chased by the spooks!" scene every twenty minutes. And every time the scene just kinda resolves itself with no real action on the part of the characters. By the end of the movie I just didn't care anymore.

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

COOL CORN posted:

Roose Bolton needs to be in more horror movies. He’s a really good actor and also has a phenomenal speaking voice.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

he was fuckin fantastic as mick in the crue movie

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

he was fuckin fantastic as mick in the crue movie

That's Ramsay not Roose.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

colachute posted:

Leatherface 2017 should be limited to the dead meat kill count.

In the background while you’re cleaning your toilet or something.

It’s a real bad movie.

The Dead Meat Kill Count videos are necessary viewing anyway.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Drunkboxer posted:

Rewatching Prince of Darkness and it’s the finest example of Grad School Horror that exists.

The only other ones I can think of are The Addiction and Candyman. And Midsommar too, I just now remembered as I’m typing. What else though?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

nemesis_hub posted:

The only other ones I can think of are The Addiction and Candyman. And Midsommar too, I just now remembered as I’m typing. What else though?

I couldn’t even think of those three, but I haven’t seen Addiction or Midsommer yet. I forgot that Helen was a grad student in Candyman though. I’m guessing there’s quite a few other “I’m researching spooky stuff for my thesis!” movies that I’m forgetting, since that’s a pretty easy way to set up a monomaniacal quest for the protagonist.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
There was some right wing horror film about the dangers of feminism from a few years ago, and it was about a grad student. It's just called "Women's Studies", and looks like a Len Kabasinski flick, lol.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Untrustable posted:

The Dead Meat Kill Count videos are necessary viewing anyway.

One of the few movie video series I like; probably because James went to film school and actually has an opinion on details and subtext and stuff that actually matters.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Wasn't the one after the 2003 remake (The Beginning?) supposed to be decent? I can't remember at all either.

No.

The remake is "ok" - it's at least better than 3 and 4 and anything that came after and looks pretty good.

The remake prequel is severely, severely hampered by being a prequel and dooming the protagonists due to that *while* still being pretty much a retread of the remake as-is. I mean, there are some ok scenes, and they bother to make them cannibals, unlike the remake, but the movie as a whole feels like a pointless endeavor.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shrecknet posted:

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Darko posted:

One of the few movie video series I like; probably because James went to film school and actually has an opinion on details and subtext and stuff that actually matters.

It’s one of the few (two? Three?) YouTube channels I actually subscribe to. I listen to the podcast as well and definitely recommend it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

colachute posted:

It’s one of the few (two? Three?) YouTube channels I actually subscribe to. I listen to the podcast as well and definitely recommend it.

Same. I also tend to completely agree with him in general in taste; the only real disagreement I have had is that he likes Unfriended and I can't stand either of them. Also does a lot of research for each review; I think he goes on IMDB and cross references EVERYTHING before doing one

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

nemesis_hub posted:

Troll Hunter?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Crawl is pretty okay; it's basically a better The Shallows. It made me realize how much I really miss animals/monsters eating people movies that aren't SyFy crap - we would get one around every year in the 80s, then it dropped off in the 90s.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Sarchasm posted:

Same, honestly. The movie really pulls you in with its core mystery just to push you back out with a lot of unnecessary running around. It's like they were afraid to just make a spooky autopsy mystery in a morgue and shoved in a "gettin' chased by the spooks!" scene every twenty minutes. And every time the scene just kinda resolves itself with no real action on the part of the characters. By the end of the movie I just didn't care anymore.

The all a dream ending is also stupid and completely pointless. When everybody who interacts with a corpse dies, people are going to notice pretty quickly.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Saw Crawl last night and really liked it. Very suspenseful, great gore, funny at times. Also gets to the point quickly and doesn’t drag. The dog lives, which I appreciate greatly

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

nemesis_hub posted:

The Den

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Shrecknet posted:

The film falls to mediocre at best, but never becomes objectively bad.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Null of Undefined posted:

Saw Crawl last night and really liked it. Very suspenseful, great gore, funny at times. Also gets to the point quickly and doesn’t drag. The dog lives, which I appreciate greatly

Thank you for telling me wassup.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I honestly liked Annabelle Comes Home more than Crawl, but I like that both just got down to business.

COOL CORN posted:

I just finished I'm Just loving With You and... Hoo boy. It was fun I guess but definitely not a good movie by any stretch. Like a poor man's twilight zone or black mirror.

Great title though, of course.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'm watching Riverdale Season 3 which made me happy when they gave a shoutout to As Above, So Below.

But then came the episode where they started paying homage to Scream... and then started paying homage to Halloween... but then started to really pay homage to Scream with Skeet Ulrich and the smile on my face was loving huge.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Timeless Appeal posted:

I'm watching Riverdale Season 3 which made me happy when they gave a shoutout to As Above, So Below.

But then came the episode where they started paying homage to Scream... and then started paying homage to Halloween... but then started to really pay homage to Scream with Skeet Ulrich and the smile on my face was loving huge.
So exactly what type of show is Riverdale? I thought it was a CW teen melodrama but then I hear it’s got some Twin Peaks elements and now this stuff. Are there supernatural shenanigans? Do a lot of people get killed?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

david_a posted:

So exactly what type of show is Riverdale? I thought it was a CW teen melodrama but then I hear it’s got some Twin Peaks elements and now this stuff. Are there supernatural shenanigans? Do a lot of people get killed?

Yeah. It’s one of those shows that I wrote off as soon as it came out but everyone seems to love it and sell it with these weird awesome analogies.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Riverdale isn't horror per se, but Season 1gets gothic as gently caress and there's certainly significant horror/thriller DNA in it. It's semi-satirical melodrama dressed in genre trappings.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Riverdale is completely maudlin and over-the-top teen melodrama trash, played completely and utterly straight. Watch the pilot and you'll see what I mean - it's impossibly earnest about the most ridiculous poo poo.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
I dropped Riverdale early when I felt that as neat as the mystery elements were they were the seasoning and the melodrama was the beef

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'm going to watch Rampant tonight. Kinda stoked.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Riverdale had musical episodes that homaged Heathers and Carrie. It's freakin' awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Riverdale is just Vampire Diaries without the vampires. (I plead to fifth to answer how I know that.)