Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Just because kiritsugu acted correctly doesn't mean he was right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

In general the only thing Nasu mages deserve is a quick death.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Polgas posted:

In general the only thing Nasu mages deserve is a quick death.

Most mages are like that. Just look at the World of Darkness.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

El Meliol II Episode 2 is out!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
A very happy ending. :3:

So is Gray's terrible, hood-requiring secret that she's a saberface?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Her being a saberface is literally a major, tragic plot point.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I dunno if we'll get into the nitty gritty details of her saberfaceness in this series. The arc that mostly concerned itself with Gray and her background is the one that comes after Rail Zeppelin, the one being adapted in the second half of the anime.

Without going into spoilers, she has a serious complex about her face and was very happy when Waver (who has lowkey trauma about Saber after having an Excaliblast aimed at him and hearing she was responsible for Kayneth's death) asked for her to keep it hidden under a hood.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I thought it'd just be "oh Waver just really loving hates Saber" but there's more to it, huh. That's interesting.

I especially thought that because not only does he have his rather terrible 4th Holy Grail War memories, he also thinks she killed Kayneth, when in fact she was completely against Kiritsugu's actions. He must have a really warped perception of the King of Knights.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Waver had almost 0 interaction with the masters of the grail wars outside of like 2 scenes. He was relatively isolated from everything going on, including the truth about kayneth and Artoria.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

We say "Saberface" but it's just a hairstyle...

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
You'd think that if she didn't like her resemblance to Seibah so much Waver would help tell her not to wear her hair in the exact same way the King of Knights did.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Pureauthor posted:

You'd think that if she didn't like her resemblance to Seibah so much Waver would help tell her not to wear her hair in the exact same way the King of Knights did.
Isn't she cursed with having Artoria's resemblence as (her descendant/victim of some ritual) no matter what?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Dzhay posted:

We say "Saberface" but it's just a hairstyle...

Jeanne has it too and she's got totally different hair

Confusingly, Mordred should probably have it really strong being the children of two Saberfaces/a clone?, but doesn't seem to have it nearly as bad as Jeanne does. Maybe her character energy is just fundamentally antithetical to sort of aloof, high minded brooding, which is the default mindset I associate with Saber. On the grand spectrum of Saberfaces I'd say she sits on the far end with the Lancer versions of her dad and baby Jeanne

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

OnimaruXLR posted:

Jeanne has it too and she's got totally different hair

Confusingly, Mordred should probably have it really strong being the children of two Saberfaces/a clone?, but doesn't seem to have it nearly as bad as Jeanne does. Maybe her character energy is just fundamentally antithetical to sort of aloof, high minded brooding, which is the default mindset I associate with Saber. On the grand spectrum of Saberfaces I'd say she sits on the far end with the Lancer versions of her dad and baby Jeanne

I mean, basically every young female character in Fate/whatever has the same face, the art style isn't all that detailed in that area.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Mordred is helped by the fact that she is constantly either shouting or smugly gloating about how she's gonna kick your rear end, neither of which are conditions that enhance the Distant Brooding aspect of Seiba's appearance

Related, I really enjoy how Neros design has diverged from her initial perfect saberface look as time has gone on and she's become a more distinct presence.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Related, I really enjoy how Neros design has diverged from her initial perfect saberface look as time has gone on and she's become a more distinct presence.

I haven't gone through all of Extra and CCC but I get the impression Nero's overall character on a meta level has gone from

"I am the Saber Servant. I am intentionally acting restrained as a means of misdirection, along with how my face looks. "

to

"UMU, MAESTRO, HOLD YOUR APPLAUSE UNTIL OUR VICTORY--WHICH IS ASSURED FOR I, THE SABER SERVANT, NERO CLAUDIUS GERMANICUS, AM YOURS TO CONDUCT~"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I mean, the origin of Nero the Saber is because she wanted to be a saber.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Imperial Privilege is a real BS skill.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Surec posted:

Plus even losing your servant/command seals doesn't necessarily knock you out of the game, right?

When you are also crippled as a mage (And as a person) it basically does.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

When you are also crippled as a mage (And as a person) it basically does.

Unless you're the protagonist.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hommando posted:

Which he was not.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Hommando posted:

Shirou was never crippled or ruined as a mage, Kiritsugu just trained him wrong, on purpose, as a joke.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Shirou was never crippled or ruined as a mage, Kiritsugu just trained him wrong, on purpose, as a joke.

I was joking, but Shirou does get messed up in HF.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

He went to Taiga saying something "so in a hypothetical situation where a certain somebody wants to learn, uh, swording, someone else but that someone else doesn't want to teach them because it's dangerous but the kid insists, what should he do" and Taiga was like "well I guess I'd teach him wrong and wait until he gives up in frustration".

Unfortunately, Shirou is Shirou and Kerry died before he realized it.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 15, 2019

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

On the plus side it helped Shirou develop his absurd levels of mental fortitude and pain tolerance.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Shirou was accidentally trained to be the most hardcore metal dude in existence, so it all works out in the end, imo

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Galaga Galaxian posted:

On the plus side it helped Shirou develop his absurd levels of mental fortitude and pain tolerance.

I mean I think the fire did that.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Shinjobi posted:

Shirou was accidentally trained to be the most hardcore metal dude in existence, so it all works out in the end, imo

please don't spoil heaven's feel for me tyvm

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dr Pepper posted:

I mean I think the fire did that.

The fire helped start him off but it took years of training to become the gently caress up that he is today.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Captain Baal posted:

please don't spoil heaven's feel for me tyvm

:madmax:

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Hunt11 posted:

The fire helped start him off but it took years of training to become the gently caress up that he is today.

Yes, the fire rises

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Don't gently caress with a man's favorite tea spot. :hai:

Love 2 see evil old wizards being undone by the internet.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
Poster for Springs Song revealed
https://twitter.com/Fate_SN_Anime/status/1157489989812252672?s=20

EDIT: Here’s the PV as well
https://twitter.com/Fate_SN_Anime/status/1157494018042781696?s=20

Exia fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 3, 2019

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
It's spring...

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The lack of El-Melloi talk in here is killin me.

Episode 5 felt better than most of UBW.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it was kind of a boring case to get two eps to itself and giving me shishigo fanservice only goes so far

the mage fighting was perfect goofiness though

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Grouchio posted:

The lack of El-Melloi talk in here is killin me.

I'm only following the thread for that so I'm up for anyone talking about that.

Sadly the only thing I could think about saying for this episode was "Shishigou teamed up with a Saberface, how unique". Not because I didn't enjoy it, because it's nice to finally enjoy a Fate series again after how bad Apocrypha and Extra were (the cooking series was excellent, but not a 30 minutes weekly anime), but I'm not creative or detailed enough to comment on things. I couldn't take Waver's job.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I engage in most of my El-Melloi discourse in Discord.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
All I have to say is it looks gorgeous and has the most out of place gratuitous engrish in the entire Fate franchise.

I'm enjoying it immensely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
Episode 0 of Babylonia is now streaming on FUNimation Now