Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Oh yeah, it’s because everyone’s opinions are poo poo but mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theres never been a final fantasy with even remotely acceptable combat

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the best final fantasy combat system is chocobo racing

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Mega64 posted:

Or I could play FF2 and have my characters stab themselves until they’re strong enough to have thousands of HP drained from end-game monsters instead of hundreds.

*throws down gauntlet* FF2 has more mechanical depth than FF13.
I mean, yeah.

It turns out the deepest final fantasies are the worst. I might universally apply that to jRPGs to stop tricking myself into thinking this Persona game is going to be the one I will be ok to obsessively cast elemental spells and buffs in a min maxed way, for 120 hours.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

FF5 raises over $10k a year for charity so I’m dubbing it The Greatest Final Fantasy.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mega64 posted:

Or I could play FF2 and have my characters stab themselves until they’re strong enough to have thousands of HP drained from end-game monsters instead of hundreds.

*throws down gauntlet* FF2 has more mechanical depth than FF13.

It's got more depth but it's not got any real encounter design and so ultimately nothing really matters. 13 actually expects you to figure out and use it's mechanics to beat fights quickly and without it being a grind.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Like the next closest FF games in terms of "Has actual encounter AND combat mechanics designed to be used" to 13 are like X/X-2 and V

Mega64
May 23, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

nothing really matters

Funny, that's the entire theme of FF2!

FF2 was ahead of its time in interweaving its narrative and gameplay by having both be meaningless, that is why it is The Greatest Final Fantasy.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Funny, that's the entire theme of FF2!

FF2 was ahead of its time in interweaving its narrative and gameplay by having both be meaningless, that is why it is The Greatest Final Fantasy.

Actually the theme of FF2 are beavers are cool

loving idiot can't even read the text.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

In other Final Fantasy games, you get the hot ultimate spell for essentially free and you annihilate the rest of the game with no more challenge.

In FF2, you have to go through a long and grueling dungeon to get it, and watch one of your few competent allies sacrifice his own life just so you can get this ultimate powerful spell. And it's useless because FF2 isn't fair. You don't get free poo poo handed to you in FF2, you have to earn it. And even when you earn it it's still poo poo.

You want to live in a fantasy, yeah, play Final Fantasy. You want real loving life, play Final Fantasy II.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Unlimited Saga is better than FF13

Barudak
May 7, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

Boxart wise yes.

As anything approaching a game which humans are expected to interface with sweet heavens no.

slink_bot
Aug 1, 2016

Endorph posted:

the best final fantasy combat system is chocobo racing

:hmmyes:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'm playing FF12 for the first time using the Zodiac version that's out on the PC. I'm using this walkthrough and I'm getting really disheartened.
There's so many points where it tells me to do optional content - like hunts - and says it's easy and I get absolutely loving walloped.

Things like the Gil Hunter (I was level 27 or so and the fight went on for 20 minutes until I died, although it was close to death) and the Vorpal Bunny. Has the game changed enough that this guide isn't accurate any longer? It does say 'In the Zodiac Version...' a few times but I can tell it's mostly added later.

Also it's really disappointing that your characters that aren't in the party don't level with you.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Level is less relevant than gear and for the first 75% of the game hour license board. Its why thr game giving all your benchwarmers LP is massively better than them getting XP but no LP.

What is your setup? At least one if not two party members should have the LP doubler item on them.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Barudak posted:

Level is less relevant than gear and for the first 75% of the game hour license board. Its why thr game giving all your benchwarmers LP is massively better than them getting XP but no LP.

What is your setup? At least one if not two party members should have the LP doubler item on them.

I do have the golden amulet on two characters, yea.

My party is Vaan as a Foebreaker/Shikari, Balthier as a Knight/Bushi and either Ashe doing White/Time or Penello as Red/Archer.
The normal bosses are all absolute pushovers but the way it describes the side quests just doesn't feel like it matches up to the way the game actually works

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

so in your estimation, ff13 is a good game with enjoyable combat because, after 30 hours, you finally stop doing the equivalent of pressing "attack" for every round of combat...?

no, I'm just saying that the whole "you just mash autobattle" thing is a misconception held by people who either didn't play the game or stopped playing in the early game when you can still get away with doing that, and that the underlying system is good but the game introduces it to you in a stupid way and it takes ages to actually start taking advantage of it

you can get through the early parts of just about every FF by just mashing attack and curing occasionally. I've literally beaten FF1 with a party of 4 black belts who can't do anything except attack and use items. the fact that the early bit of FF13 is like this is not something that you can single out 13 for. however, this part of 13 does last longer because for whatever reason the game insists on slowly rolling out parts of its combat system to you over the course of like 15 hours.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If takes you longer than 30 hours to beat 13 even if you watch all cutscenes you've hosed up somewhere and consistently.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

I like both.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

A good example of what's confusing me in the guide is the second Esper fight it tells you to equip some special belt to protect you against sleep. It makes a huge point of it, even telling you to level up and get more LP so you can buy accessories 10 to equip it with.
But the boss was a pushover, I even had a character who couldn't damage it and just stood there and it was still easy.

But the Vorpal Bunny took me about 40 minutes because of constantly respawning skeletons that it doesn't mention at all. It's baffling and it makes me confused about what might be wrong/right.

I'd gladly do it without a guide but since there's no quest journal I've no idea how the hell I would. Especially since so much stuff is so obtuse and impossible to work out myself.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Taear posted:

But the Vorpal Bunny took me about 40 minutes because of constantly respawning skeletons that it doesn't mention at all. It's baffling and it makes me confused about what might be wrong/right.

I'd gladly do it without a guide but since there's no quest journal I've no idea how the hell I would. Especially since so much stuff is so obtuse and impossible to work out myself.

For the vorpal bunny in particular skeletons don't spawn in if you don't clear the zone of normal enemies. If the walkthrough-writer didn't do that they might have no clue.

Hunt information is in the Clan Primer. First you get a note of who to talk to after accepting the quest, then a note from them of the important parts of the conversation; where to find the target (usually including the specific area name which can be viewed on the map) and any conditions (only shows up in rain, need only women in the party, shows up after a few minutes, et cetera). Then usually it's just a note of "hunt complete, head back to the petitioner" unless something odd happens.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So in xiv you gotta play all the way to shadowbringers before getting the gunblade class right?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

You just need to get to level 60 which you will have by the end of the Heavensward pre-patch content. Maybe a little earlier thanks to early game exp boosts.

That's still a significant Time Sink though.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I hosed up some of the dialogue sequences, but I managed to go on a hot date with Barret.

And besides some meandering and fighting random battles and playing arcade games after the date, this was the farthest into the game I have ever gotten. I fell off the wagon at this point in 2003, so it's all new to me from here on out (yes I know Aeris dies, Cait Sith is piloted by Reeve, and so on).

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

kaworu posted:

Super excited :words: about FF

Play VII Remastered first on your PS4, you can turn off encounters and fast forward stuff so it shouldn't take you anywhere near as long as a normal playthrough.

Then play X as it's really good, stay away from X-2 though.

I've never played IX so can't really comment. You don't say if you've ever played VIII, however. If you haven't, you should, it's.....an experience.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Bruceski posted:

Hunt information is in the Clan Primer. First you get a note of who to talk to after accepting the quest, then a note from them of the important parts of the conversation; where to find the target (usually including the specific area name which can be viewed on the map) and any conditions (only shows up in rain, need only women in the party, shows up after a few minutes, et cetera). Then usually it's just a note of "hunt complete, head back to the petitioner" unless something odd happens.

No, they didn't say what to do to stop the skeletons but I killed enough eventually that they stopped spawning. It also didn't tell me the Mindflayer would fully heal itself!

And yea I know that. But it doesn't say stuff like "Chop down the withered trees to get to the Gil Snapper" which I'd absolutely never have done. Or how to get the Cockatrice one out of hiding and etc etc etc.

But I mean proper sidequests, like the lovelorn guy one - it doesn't note it anywhere. Or the Earth King one with the sandstorms. You talk to them, they ask you to do stuff and it's never noted. How are you meant to remember?

Taear fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jul 14, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its a late PS2 game so there are lots of gaps in QoL standardization in 2019 that the game coasts by on by having been massive budget and easy as hell.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Barudak posted:

Its a late PS2 game so there are lots of gaps in QoL standardization in 2019 that the game coasts by on by having been massive budget and easy as hell.

I guess it feels like it's the halfway house between the older games where there's no sidequests and new ones with actual journals.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
There are two ways to play FFXII:

With a guide or without. But dont expect to get most out of the game without one. The game is massive and a lot of the good stuff is hidden.

Its my favorite FF but I dont play it without a phone or a laptop

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Dell_Zincht posted:

stay away from X-2 though

this is the worst advice because you should absolutely play X-2 after X. X-2 still has one of the best ATB systems and the story goes off the rails in the best ways.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

WaltherFeng posted:

There are two ways to play FFXII:

With a guide or without. But dont expect to get most out of the game without one. The game is massive and a lot of the good stuff is hidden.

Its my favorite FF but I dont play it without a phone or a laptop

I was fine playing without a guide when I thought you'd get the license for a thing and also aquire it, skills wise. Or buy it in a shop!
But when I found out there's tonnes of skills you'd totally miss....no.

And I think in my head I expected the Gambits to work like the strategy board stuff in Dragon Age Origins, rather than being something that a Wizardry game would be ashamed to supply to you.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

tbh the Zodiac Spear stands out but I feel like FF12 in general feels like a game built to sell guides in a lotta ways

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

morallyobjected posted:

this is the worst advice because you should absolutely play X-2 after X. X-2 still has one of the best ATB systems and the story goes off the rails in the best ways.

Sure, if you like your comedy done to the point of self parody.

I hated everything about X-2, it almost soured me on ever replaying X.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Merilan posted:

tbh the Zodiac Spear stands out but I feel like FF12 in general feels like a game built to sell guides in a lotta ways

Apparently the class that uses that is rubbish now so.
But yea, like....when haste is only available behind someone after a cutscene in a non-usual designed chest or piles and piles and PILES of other poo poo, it's unbelievable.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Yeah I loved FFXII (I think it's an S-tier FF) but there's way too many poo poo behind gates you would never even get any hints about without the aid of guides and on a couple of occasions some items are past the point of no return and unable to be gotten. It gets rather obnoxious sometimes.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Taear posted:

Apparently the class that uses that is rubbish now so.
But yea, like....when haste is only available behind someone after a cutscene in a non-usual designed chest or piles and piles and PILES of other poo poo, it's unbelievable.

Uhlan is not rubbish on its own. Its a high damage job with good HP and can hit flying enemies naturally.

Its just that having two jobs messes up the balance in favour of other jobs.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Hell, even TZA (which cuts out some of the forced guide moments like the Zodiac Spear) adds even worse ones

Here's the best bow in the game (hell, best weapon in the game); it appears in an invisible chest in an area you never frequently visit and spawns only 1% of the time. The chest has a 80% chance of having nothing, and even if you win that roll you have a 5% chance of getting said bow if you have a Diamond Armlet on.

Add it all up, and you have a 0.01% chance to get it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

WaltherFeng posted:

Uhlan is not rubbish on its own. Its a high damage job with good HP and can hit flying enemies naturally.

Its just that having two jobs messes up the balance in favour of other jobs.

The guides I've read mention that it's got a really slow attack animation. I've made Fran my Uhlan, but I hear that she's the worst character.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

she's the worst in a sense that doesn't really matter, like if the six characters swung at a dummy for 1000 seconds she might finish last but it doesn't really factor into normal gameplay that would be noticeable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I don't think you're supposed to get the Seitengrat really