Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Did Mookie just enable the "mobile site only" option or something, or is this only happening for me? His site is suddenly loading in that mode for me on a browser, and it zooms way to in to the comic and makes it look all blurry and crappy.

... Well, crappier than usual, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Did Mookie just enable the "mobile site only" option or something, or is this only happening for me? His site is suddenly loading in that mode for me on a browser, and it zooms way to in to the comic and makes it look all blurry and crappy.

... Well, crappier than usual, anyway.

Looks fine on my end.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Weird. Well, it's not the first time a site has gotten stuck on mobile mode only for my computer with no explanation. I expect it'll work itself out.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

In the old thread, I used to always post edits, I think someone found where he stored the next day's comic before uploading so I had time. I'd often edit in the one fat character, replacing giant monsters or having him rail Stunt's mom. Then one day the ancient necromancer pulled back his hood to reveal his face was actually that fat guy, I posted it unedited and for an hour people were screaming it was fake and for people to post the real comic and instead of this obvious fraud.

That comic got so ridiculous at times. :allears:

Wasn't that the reveal where it was Deegan's brother?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

GrossMurpel posted:

Wasn't that the reveal where it was Deegan's brother?

If I remember right it the fat guy was the mortal form of the lich or whatever who trained Jacob, the necromancer brother.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Heliotrope posted:

If I remember right it the fat guy was the mortal form of the lich or whatever who trained Jacob, the necromancer brother.
I remember that very clearly. Why do I remember that?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

PMush Perfect posted:

I remember that very clearly. Why do I remember that?

Bad webcomics are a disease that stick in your mind forever. :rip: your neurons

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Speaking of disease in my brain, I could swear Dominic Deegan ended with the Heart of Magic (is the face of god) being destroyed, causing magic to die out forever.
I specifically remember everyone pointing out that this would probably cause the whole world to collapse and all the bullshit magical creatures to die out.

But I just checked the site and it just ends with Dominic specifically losing his powers and no one else?
Did it change? Am I combining two awful half-remembered internet things into one story?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Libra posted:

Speaking of disease in my brain, I could swear Dominic Deegan ended with the Heart of Magic (is the face of god) being destroyed, causing magic to die out forever.
I specifically remember everyone pointing out that this would probably cause the whole world to collapse and all the bullshit magical creatures to die out.

But I just checked the site and it just ends with Dominic specifically losing his powers and no one else?
Did it change? Am I combining two awful half-remembered internet things into one story?

that sounds like the plot of final fantasy 6

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Libra posted:

It was more like traditional magic would die out and magictech would rise from it? I'm not going back to check.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Sort of...? There's no central "heart of magic", but the Espers are in a hidden dimension to keep humans from finding them and abusing their power. The Empire figures out how to breach this realm and starts kidnapping Espers to drain them of magic and make Magitek. There's also 3 statues that are the corpses of the gods that created magic, and Kefka pushes them out of alignment, which doesn't destroy magic, but actually does the opposite and unseals a bunch of nasty magical poo poo and reshapes the world.

I guess you could say that magic had died out in FF6...? But that's the status quo, before the game begins. One of the central story beats (and mechanics) of the game is the Empire and your party wielding magic for the first time in a long time.

Edit: I forgot, yeah, magic does die when you kill Kefka at the end, because he had absorbed the gods of magic and became them. The game is kind of a blur for me after you enter the World of Ruin.

Square was pretty smart about it though, no matter if you followed those details of the plot or not, the game was pretty character-focused and took a lot of cues from Star Wars in that regard. The highs of the story come stem the characters you care about, not about the nitpicky details of the macguffin.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 5, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Well, speaking of magitech, that's a spaceship.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

That is clearly a pokeball with wings.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

It's clearly the sphere thing from phantasm and it overshot Snout because he has no brains.

I made the thread so this is canon.:v:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

...is the dead lady going to matter at all?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I seem to remember a character that looked like her appeared in the initial preview image for this, so I'm gonna guess she's not actually dead.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

...is the dead lady going to matter at all?

Being dead is what makes her matter.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
The whole concept and execution of the Heart of Magic is probably more influenced by Full Metal Alchemist. There the source of all alchemy is called Truth, and if you see into the door of truth you gain great knowledge at an equally great cost. It wasn't long after FMA: Brotherhood finished its US release that we learned the King in Dominic Deegan saw the heart of magic and lost his sight as a result, and just like in Full Metal the source of magic is represented by a big door with great knowledge behind it.

I will say though, I'm interested to see what Mookie does with characters he doesn't blatantly adore from the start. So much of Dominic Deegan was influenced by his love of Dominic and character arcs would shift to accommodate it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

gently caress, there's something actually kind of cute about him having a library card.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Oh look, he established AGAIN that Snout is deaf. On... A library card? They require you to list your disabilities on them in this world? Ok... Awkward choice, but still a better way to establish his deafness than before.

But yeah I'm grasping at straws, so far this is just... Benign.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

PMush Perfect posted:

gently caress, there's something actually kind of cute about him having a library card.

Having fun isn't hard when you've got a library card

Now, am I constructing this in a fever dream state, or is "sequel starring bort and no dialogue" something mookie threatened us with prior to the end of the original comic? When I saw this had rebooted (if you're here, thanks Lesbiathan!) it seemed familiar to me.

I loved the old dd threads but only read them with archives. It'll be fun to participate in one live.

I can't believe this poo poo. He starts out with a sexualized dead woman's rear end, then immediately thuds into badly represented disability. If we saw this in an edit, we'd tell the artist to tone it down. I can't wait to see what comes next.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Memories.

I'll never forget Bumper throwing his just-severed hands at his pursuer and squirting blood into his eyes in order to escape.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Ague Proof posted:

Memories.

I'll never forget Bumper throwing his just-severed hands at his pursuer and squirting blood into his eyes in order to escape.

I'm just glad in the Mookie cosmology the greatest eldritch power is wrestling.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ague Proof posted:

Memories.

Reaction image.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
How had the art not improved at all? It's like the comic never ended and Mooki just got put into stasis.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Brought To You By posted:

How had the art not improved at all? It's like the comic never ended and Mooki just got put into stasis.

His art stagnated and he saw no need to improve. One of the major themes of Dominic Deegan was coding passivity as heroic and effort as villainous.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 14, 2019

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Ague Proof posted:

His art stagnated and he saw no need to improve. One of the major themes of Dominic Deegan was coding passivity as heroic and effort as villainous.

Yeah, the heroes are all just naturally talented at what they do, while working to achieve their power is something only villains do. The only Deegan who isn't purely good is the one who actively trained in a type of magic even.

Pretty sure that same theme extends to Star Power.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It's not even objectivist, it's just laziness.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

New comic, and something new to laugh at

Seriously? An open aired library? When the last few pages were about how windy it gets?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I think my favorite part about this page is the looming implication that Dominic Deegan donated his own autobiography to a library.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

PMush Perfect posted:

I think my favorite part about this page is the looming implication that Dominic Deegan donated his own autobiography to a library.

It would be 100% in character for Dominic’s personal library to be just books he wrote himself.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I think my favorite part about this page is the "library" that will last exactly until the first time it rains.

I mean, I guess it's supposed to be funny that it's so slapdash, but... I mean, come on, just put it in a cave, or crappy hut, or... I dunno, something, anything clever or interesting. Did Mookie just not want to draw a building?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

SardonicTyrant posted:

New comic, and something new to laugh at

Seriously? An open aired library? When the last few pages were about how windy it gets?

It's not just the wind. Moisture makes this the worst loving idea. Books need to be cared for, and an open-air library is, like...no, no these books will be dead. I've seen some open-air used bookstore stuff, but they also don't expect to maintain their goods for super high quality in the open-air areas.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Did Mookie just not want to draw a building?
Don't ask questions you already know the answer to.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It would be 100% in character for Dominic’s personal library to be just books he wrote himself.
It would be a brilliant piece of indirect characterization, if I had even the smallest bit of faith that it was intentional on Mookie's part.

Edit:

I made a bingo card.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 15, 2019

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Come to think of it, why are we at the library? This started when a piece of paper flew into Snout's face. And somehow this made Snout decide to do some research in the library?

In a better comic, this would be the start of a bigger mystery, but we've seemingly glossed over the mystery of the dead woman because Snout hasn't found her yet. I mean, wouldn't it have made more sense if Snout found the piece of paper on the dead body and decided to investigate?

Oh yeah, it's all coming back to me.

Edit: Oh poo poo, someone help me come up with clever combinations of groverhaus and library.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

As far as I can tell, Snout saw the name Dominic Deegan, and this shocked him because he'd seen it somewhere before, and that somewhere seems to be this book.

WHY it's so shocking to him, and why it was so important he haul rear end to the future book graveyard open air library, so much so he's not even phased by the spaceship... Has not been communicated to the reader. I'm sure this is intentional on the part of Mookie, but it's not a mystery that we've been given any reason to care about...

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I'm willing to bet that in true Dominic Deegan fashion, Dominic himself will be forgotten to time. A small, nerdy footnote in the grand story of the other more jockish heroes. So Snout seeing Dominic's name in a page he got from the wind is like when you see a car commercial and suddenly begin to notice the same car ads everywhere.

The pacing is severely hurt by not being 8 panels, 5 days a week.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
It's nice to see that "there will be no dialogue in any of these comics" doesn't stop Mookie from hiding behind a shield of :words:

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

PMush Perfect posted:

Don't ask questions you already know the answer to.

It would be a brilliant piece of indirect characterization, if I had even the smallest bit of faith that it was intentional on Mookie's part.

Edit:

I made a bingo card.
Put me down for "Dominic Deegan is alive in some way"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

SardonicTyrant posted:

Put me down for "Dominic Deegan is alive in some way"
If that comes up, I'd rule that as qualifying for "is perfect."