Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

doogle posted:

That sucks man, but at least he didn’t kill you.

Yeah I was lucky. the car did it's job (yay modern cars), but I'm kinda sad it's gone now it was a cool and good car.

My son loved it (he called it the Xbox) and all the other kids in the neighborhood thought it was cool. Was gonna give it to my son when he got his license so he's kinda bummed about it too....But hey I'm alive and can get another one. Gonna look at a white 2014 with a manual that's close by, too bad the color on mine is pretty rare I really liked that color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doogle
May 24, 2003

Got a ported (but stock LS3) intake manifold.

Ported and "rod mod"ed.

Stock for comparison.

It also has a heatshield added to the bottom, it does not have this from the factory.

Here is a dyno chart showing the difference between stock/ported and rod mod. Its from the dudes that mod them, so I take the results with a grain of salt. But it does feel faster with the buttdyno.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Much needed wash. Harbor freight pressure washer and generic amazon snow foam cannon worked great. What didn't work great was doing it in the sun in 90 degree weather. Wish I had more shade.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

doogle posted:

It also has a heatshield added to the bottom, it does not have this from the factory.

Here is a dyno chart showing the difference between stock/ported and rod mod. Its from the dudes that mod them, so I take the results with a grain of salt. But it does feel faster with the buttdyno.

Can't see the heat shield doing much. It's already a composite material so it's not going to conduct heat all that great in the first place and air is moving too fast through there for there to be much convection on top of that. I always wonder about these "mods" that people don't likely do much engineering on and just hog it out and then dyno it (sometimes in questionable ways that aren't consistent/fair, who knows in this case) and say "Gains!"

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
The Niva failed the registration inspection. Three counts of human error. A huge coolant leak because I didn't warm it up after I swapped a heater hose. The clamp wasn't quite tight enough.
Two loose wheel bearings. One really loose. That one was because I didn't notice a design difference when I replaced the axle nut. The part which is used for staking the nut in place has an air gap between it and the axle. I didn't stake it hard enough so it turned a bit.
The other side was just torque. The required torque is smaller than the lowest mark on my beam torque wrench.

While I was at it I changed the leaky clutch master cylinder. It had a thick emulsion coming out the clutch rod hole. Reminded me of a water / oil sludge. Tipped some slightly less thick version of it from the clutch master.
The old one was only maybe five years old, and had the fluid replaced at least yearly.
So yeah, no idea.

Now I just have a vast amount of brake fluid to get out of the carpet, somehow.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
whoops wrong thread

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

doogle posted:

Got this in the mail...

Specs? I'm running the Auto and don't want to change my converter right now.

doogle
May 24, 2003

It’s a livernois 2c cam, 224/236 LSA 117. It’s on the limit of what my stock converter can handle without pushing the brakes, but I’m throwing a zl1 converter in at the same time.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Worked on the ranger yesterday. Polaris shop told me the carrier bearing had a crack in it and needed to be replaced.

Looks fine to me. Ran it in 4WD on the lift and didn't see any wobbling or vibration. Polaris shop is full of poo poo, not going back there.

Went ahead and changed the rack and pinion boots while it was up in the air.

Today's goal: figure out how to align it.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Did a full paint correction on a friends Golf 1 convertible.

Before

After

Frontal area got a 3 stage paint correction with a rotary polisher, last stage orbital polished. Sides and rear 2 stage orbital

Full car got a pre wax cleanser and gloss enhancer and a concours carnauba wax finish.

All plastics got a treatment with Koch Chemie Plast Star (with silicone) the stuff is absolutely great.

Quite happy with the result.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 14, 2019

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
thats beautiful. stunning work.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

No photos, but started up my old project car, a 1965 Ford Falcon XP ute, for the first time for over a year, as I am about to move home. Ran it on the starter without the coil connected to make sure it got oil pressure, gave it a spray of aero start and after a few turns it fired up :)

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
This feels like an elementary problem. I figured I'd do my rear brakes on my grand marquis finally after putting them off for... way too long, but I think I've run into a snag. The replacement brakes don't have a retaining clip that I think I need. I feel like I'm missing something, but I don't know if it's a step or some hardware. I can see a mounting pin on the new pad, but I have nothing to go on it. Is there a way to pry this clip off the old pad, or is my new set junk?

One of the old pads with the clip circled, you can see the mounting pin at the bottom of the new one next to it (these are opposite side pads)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

All 4 of the new pads are missing it? Usually it's only 1 pad per wheel that'll have that.

Do they still fit properly? If so, it may just be either a spring to help reduce squealing, or a wear indicator. Wear indicator scrapes the rotor to give an annoying EEEEEEEEEE while driving (without brake applied) to let you know your pads are worn out. With them being rear brakes, I wouldn't worry about the wear indicator, personally.

e: if those are Carquest Platinum pads (... just a guess from the background), they sometimes have a clip-on wear indicator instead of being riveted on. That's how they've been for 2 out of 3 cars for me; for my car (Saturn Ion), mom's car (land barge Toyota Avalon). GF's car (Toyota Matrix) had them riveted on the pads. :iiam: Look in the box for some little metal things that look useless.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 15, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yeah, after digging around they should have them. Looking at pics online for carquest platinum pads from various years ( I picked like 94, 01, etc) they all have that clip.

Looks like basically a clip to ease installation onto the caliper (as in hold it into place while you futz with the caliper bolts which are always a PITA to line up.

And it could also aid in squeal. Hard saying, odd one for sure.

e: definitely not a wear indicator.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 15, 2019

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Oops

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
They fit fine but I'm anxious about it, I'll order some pads that actually have the clip. I'm only out 30 bucks, so it's not the end of the world, but it is annoying (but that's what I get for buying the cheapest parts). I imagine there was a change at some point in the car's generation that eliminated the need for the clip, but because it's not a generation change it still lists as a fitting part. I might be fine with these pads but I'd rather play it safe.

In lighter news I have a new front license plate:

(and yes I recognize the hypocrisy of wanting safety while rocking a warboy emblem).

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Not pedestrian safety, clearly :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GM copying VW/Audi on Service Position, I see. Changing a turn signal bulb? :v:

Also I knew GM liked their big washer fluid tanks - mine holds EXACTLY a gallon to the brim when it's bone dry - now I see why

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 15, 2019

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Deer strike at ~40mph. $500 deductible + increased rates? Nah, Dad'll fix it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ah, figured stuff looked a little bent.

That said, deer strike usually falls under comprehensive, and many states won't allow a comprehensive claim to raise your rates (particularly an animal strike). A little late now, though.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
He's balking at the deductible, really. Broken LH headlamp ($210), a couple bent brackets (removable/non-structural), and a few hours of my time. No biggie.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Oh, yeah... if the only real damage is bent brackets and a broken headlamp, I'd be pulling a DIY job too.

.... though my car would probably be written off over a broken headlamp anyway. :haw: The only reason I even carry comp on it is because there's a shitload of deer out here. It has 3 pedals (plus it's a GM), so it's pretty close to immune from being stolen.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Got the new-to-me Outback inspecticated, in prep for getting regesterified.
Also, replaced this garbage:

With not garbage:

Better:

No more clunking, thumping, or self-steering under braking.

Also cut the locking ball mount pin for which I have no key off:

Also bought a working electrochromic mirror with compass, and added bonus of Homelink from a local wrecker:

Gotta love the flurry of fixing/upgrading a new purchase.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Washed this one and put it back in its hole. Hard to believe it has 222,500 miles.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Nice Forrester. I like my Outback, but I like that more, if I’m honest.
Speaking of the Outback, it’s officially mine now. Hit up the DMV at 8 AM this morning and sailed through, with the exception of my dumb rear end having forgotten the insurance card and having to get my wife to send it to me.
So, now that I’m a Subaru owner, anyone have any tips on vaping, and where do I find flat-brim ball caps? Or is that just the WRX crowd?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

No I think you just have to have a dog and some sort of outdoor activity carrier/rack fitted.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Tell your wife and her "friend" to stop shaving their legs.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

So, now that I’m a Subaru owner, anyone have any tips on vaping, and where do I find flat-brim ball caps?

If you can find of these things called a "mall" (technically, an "indoor shopping mall" - they're rapidly becoming extinct though), look for a store called "Lids".

You'll hand over about $50 for a decent one, so I'm told. And supposedly you need to keep all stickers, price tags, etc on it for the entire time you own said cap.

Where's Super Aggo Cragg when we need him?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Make sure your lid is pulled way down and you tuck the top of your ears in under it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Darchangel posted:

Nice Forrester. I like my Outback, but I like that more, if I’m honest.
Speaking of the Outback, it’s officially mine now. Hit up the DMV at 8 AM this morning and sailed through, with the exception of my dumb rear end having forgotten the insurance card and having to get my wife to send it to me.
So, now that I’m a Subaru owner, anyone have any tips on vaping, and where do I find flat-brim ball caps? Or is that just the WRX crowd?

You need a medium to large size dog, some teva sandals, a roof storage rack or bike rack, and some stickers about camping or mountains.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STR posted:

Where's Super Aggo Cragg when we need him?

Most likely drinking his own piss

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I attempted to adjust my idle and the car did not react as expected. Unplugged the IACV, and the idle dropped...then ran up to 1100 steady. Couldn't pull it down to proper setting either. I'd think vacuum leak but it's very steady. :wtc:

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

You should be able to see it in the long-term fuel trim if there is a leak

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Joined the group of 4runner owners who snapped a skid plate bolt on my 4th gen. Most people drill it out and tap new threads. I heated it up and used a chisel/hammer to hammer it back out keeping the original threads intact. It worked but gently caress if it wasn't tedious.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

brand engager posted:

You should be able to see it in the long-term fuel trim if there is a leak

or short term fuel trim, which can also be watched as you spray carb cleaner or use an unlit propane torch to probe for leaks

you usually don't manually adjust idle, what kind of car is it

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

BlackMK4 posted:

or short term fuel trim, which can also be watched as you spray carb cleaner or use an unlit propane torch to probe for leaks

you usually don't manually adjust idle, what kind of car is it

98 integra, base non-VTEC engine. i was just double checking it, wasn't really expecting to have to do much :v:

the fuel consumption has been all over the map recently. although that might be explained by the (occasionally) screechy accessory drive

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Codes? Also, what brand engager said, fuel trim numbers?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
No codes (unless you count when I pulled the IACV connector :v: ). Fuel trims I will have to get at some point.

I'm not certain the fuel issue isn't one of the ancient fuel lines pissing. I haven't found any damp spots but I know there are some sketchy looking spots in a few places

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Went for a quick drive. Didn't see any weird jumps or spikes, short term basically mirrored throttle inputs (which i assume is good)