Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Kitiara posted:

That was when Reiner passed the Marcel memory to Porco.

Porco had those memories from the moment he ate Ymir and gained the Jaw. He says he knew about what Marcel had done this entire time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

From what we have seen, receiving the memories of past holders isn’t something that happens all at once. Porco originally accuses Reiner of abandoning his brother because he sees Marcels memory of being eaten.

He very explicitly just got the memory of Marcel admitting to sabotaging his warrior status.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
Funny as hell that the only major things Porco did were 1) be used to crack open the Warhammer titan and 2) kill himself just to spite Reiner. I'm almost embarrassed for the fucker.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Yay now we get to play "match the minor characters to their Titan form" game. I hope Pixis gets to be a lady titan.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Fantastic Flyer posted:

Funny as hell that the only major things Porco did were 1) be used to crack open the Warhammer titan and 2) kill himself just to spite Reiner. I'm almost embarrassed for the fucker.

Porco had sustained deadly injuries and he was out of stamina to heal them - his sacrifice was a genuine one-upping of Reiner, who just desperately wanted to give in.

Like, the guy, with his head half-caved in, mustered the strength to crawl out of his titan and walk in the open, delivering a brutal takedown on his rival as his last act before giving up his life to save a kid.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 7, 2019

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I've seen some people calling Falco Big Bird in light of recent events, to go along with the Bert and Ernie thing. Which is frustrating, because Big Bird has always been Annie for me.
Zeke is Grover.
Eren is Oscar the Grouch.

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!
I wonder if Isayama watched GOT all the way until the end, and learned from it?

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Has it been specified whether zeke has to scream for any titans made with his spinal fluid to transform, or is it only for folks who have ingested it rather than been injected?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JahRoo posted:

Has it been specified whether zeke has to scream for any titans made with his spinal fluid to transform, or is it only for folks who have ingested it rather than been injected?

I think it's just the activation requirement nothing more.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

LuisX posted:

I wonder if Isayama watched GOT all the way until the end, and learned from it?

The D&D ending: Next episode Eren is actually dead and Gabi is the hero. Then Magath decides he actually hates all Eldians and murders all the Marley shifters. Eren is resurrected but decides to take all the titans to the north pole instead of fighting. Mikasa waves and yells "See you later, Eren!" then Armin is crowned king of Paradis.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Sub Harrison posted:

The D&D ending: Next episode Eren is actually dead and Gabi is the hero. Then Magath decides he actually hates all Eldians and murders all the Marley shifters. Eren is resurrected but decides to take all the titans to the north pole instead of fighting. Mikasa waves and yells "See you later, Eren!" then Armin is crowned king of Paradis.

A thousand years later Eren goes to space and becomes a new star longside the love of his life who was already a star: Historia

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

In times of distress, I think back to the fact that the poo poo Machine had a bomb in it, and I smile

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I started with the manga after the end point of the third season of the anime. I just caught up.

:tviv:

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Nice cliffhanger Isayama but you've pulled your punches way too much for me to believe it for a second. Prove me wrong, b!tch.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Where does Eren gently caress up his pant leg?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Where does Eren gently caress up his pant leg?

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 10, 2019

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I'm expecting some divine intervention poo poo next chapter to sew Eren's head back on. Like how Zeke was saved by that underground titan. The scream probly woke up Annie too so all 9 titan souls are up and about for the finale.

I feel Eren's going to use the founder to give all titans sentience. Give everyone the choice to die or fight.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

I hope titan pixis is not dual wielding anti-titan rifles.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Annie isn't at Shiganshina, I don't think.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
After all is over its gonna have a timeskip and we will see Annie, years later, still crystalized, as a museum attraction

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Elias_Maluco posted:

After all is over its gonna have a timeskip and we will see Annie, years later, still crystalized, as a museum attraction

With a bunch of patrons gathered around holding signs that just say "Annie When?"

Uncle Khasim
Dec 20, 2009

This might be nothing, but when Eren left his Titan, did he appear visibly younger to anyone else?

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

I am legit expecting Eren's head to land in Zeke's hand and still work, 'cause baseball.

Wondering if Falco will get the full Jaws or get the gimped dancing version because of bloodlines.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I have but three words to react to that chapter with:

FLOCH LIVES, MOTHERFUCKERS!

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

I will never get over how the focus shifted (not entirely, but certainly helped by the protagonist basically turning heel) to antagonists written in a way that is clearly meant to elicit sympathy and they just happen to be thin expy versions of WW2 Kapos. There's making sympathetic villains/antagonists and then there's this. Every maudlin or even vaguely sympathetic beat they get is pretty grody to me.

Funny how the extreme body horror of the titans and visceral gore of the manga don't really match up to that. If this was the intended outcome then bravo, I guess.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I get more annoyed than I should thinking about all the great characters that were sidelined in order to make this manga about zeke, gaby, and reiner.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

KazigluBey posted:

I will never get over how the focus shifted (not entirely, but certainly helped by the protagonist basically turning heel) to antagonists written in a way that is clearly meant to elicit sympathy and they just happen to be thin expy versions of WW2 Kapos. There's making sympathetic villains/antagonists and then there's this. Every maudlin or even vaguely sympathetic beat they get is pretty grody to me.

Funny how the extreme body horror of the titans and visceral gore of the manga don't really match up to that. If this was the intended outcome then bravo, I guess.

The Marelyians have not been portrayed as sympathetic. The Eldian's of Liberio have been.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Marelyians have not been portrayed as sympathetic. The Eldian's of Liberio have been.

The Eldian collaborators (Warriors and others) have been portrayed pretty sympathetically imo, and repeatedly so. I'm not asking for them to be mustache twirling villains but giving what are essentially Kapos a lot of humanization and character building seems way off and a fair bit distasteful to me. I uhhh, really don't want to read page after page of mournful backstory for that kind of character, or have them be major PoVs where again, they are generally portrayed sympathetically. :shrug:

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
The Eldians of Liberio are who he's talking about.

I don't agree with the comparison of them to WW2 kapos though. These aren't grown adults who have decided to brutalize their own people for their own personal gain, these are child soldiers fighting an enemy nation for the sake of the continued existence of their own people. If the Liberio Eldians don't cooperate, Marley has absolutely no reason to keep them around as anything but Pure Titan fuel. They grew up being absolutely bombarded with propaganda, fighting the Paradisians out of a mixture of fear and genuine belief that they're awful monsters. WW2 Kapos knew exactly what the nazis were but worked for them anyway because they didn't want the same treatment as the other prisoners. Zeke is a monster but he also hasn't really been portrayed as sympathetic at any point except for when he was a small child.

This is what war does to people and it's good that it's being shown. Would you rather all the Liberio Eldians just be cackling villains?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

If you feel Attack on Titan is humanizing its antagonists too much, then you've missed the entire point of the story.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
vs mindless titans: THIS IS FASCIST PROPAGANDA AGAINST THE FACELESS OTHER.

humanizes the villains: THIS IS FASCIST APOLOGIA.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think that Gabi and Reiner are collaborators but they're also very much victims of the system. They grew up brainwashed by Marley, equating success as a soldier to the only thing that made them worthwhile as human beings. I feel like any sympathy elicited by the characters is also correlated to this, they're not coming from a place of comfort and deciding "hey i wanna work for Marley for fun and profit".

I also don't think they're fully sympathetic. They're humanized - AoT actually has some pretty decent character writing - but Gabi fuckin' killed Sasha and continues to side with Marley to this day. Same poo poo goes for Reiner. There's enough leeway for you to dislike those characters because they're still collaborators, you just kinda know it's not a clear-cut situation. I don't think that's a bad thing.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

So what is Eren going to do with the Founder powers? I think he's going to do a large scale version of Ymir's splitting of 9 souls and give all Eldians the power to control their titan forms.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sub Harrison posted:

So what is Eren going to do with the Founder powers? I think he's going to do a large scale version of Ymir's splitting of 9 souls and give all Eldians the power to control their titan forms.

so then they all die in a few years?

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Viridiant posted:

These aren't grown adults who have decided to brutalize their own people for their own personal gain, these are child soldiers fighting an enemy nation for the sake of the continued existence of their own people. If the Liberio Eldians don't cooperate, Marley has absolutely no reason to keep them around as anything but Pure Titan fuel. They grew up being absolutely bombarded with propaganda, fighting the Paradisians out of a mixture of fear and genuine belief that they're awful monsters. WW2 Kapos knew exactly what the nazis were but worked for them anyway because they didn't want the same treatment as the other prisoners. Zeke is a monster but he also hasn't really been portrayed as sympathetic at any point except for when he was a small child.

This is what war does to people and it's good that it's being shown. Would you rather all the Liberio Eldians just be cackling villains?

First bolded bit: Ehh it's a toss up on whether that's deliberate or just, you know, the vast majority of key manga characters being young, because those are the kinds of protagonists and PoVs that do the best in Japan (see: Spiderman being the most popular MCU character in Japan and it being attributed to this, the entire Shounen genera, etc...); I'm also not really that receptive to arguments for why it is fine they should get a pass on being collaborators just because they're kids when we're shown, for example with Zeke's childhood flashback, that kids aren't exactly spared the horrors of the system they are part of.

Second bolded bit:

KazigluBey posted:

I'm not asking for them to be mustache twirling villains

But whatever, at the end of the day this isn't a hill I really care to die on, just something that's bugged me ever since the focus shifted somewhat to the Warriors and the people on the mainland. :shrug:

Conspiratiorist posted:

If you feel Attack on Titan is humanizing its antagonists too much, then you've missed the entire point of the story.

lol ok my dude, classic stuff

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

KazigluBey posted:

The Eldian collaborators (Warriors and others) have been portrayed pretty sympathetically imo, and repeatedly so. I'm not asking for them to be mustache twirling villains but giving what are essentially Kapos a lot of humanization and character building seems way off and a fair bit distasteful to me. I uhhh, really don't want to read page after page of mournful backstory for that kind of character, or have them be major PoVs where again, they are generally portrayed sympathetically. :shrug:

It’s posts like this and that Polygon article that really confuse me. How anyone can so utterly miss the point or misunderstand what Isayama is writing just baffles me

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to feel sympathetic to Gabi so I think that's your own problem

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

KazigluBey posted:

First bolded bit: Ehh it's a toss up on whether that's deliberate or just, you know, the vast majority of key manga characters being young, because those are the kinds of protagonists and PoVs that do the best in Japan (see: Spiderman being the most popular MCU character in Japan and it being attributed to this, the entire Shounen genera, etc...); I'm also not really that receptive to arguments for why it is fine they should get a pass on being collaborators just because they're kids when we're shown, for example with Zeke's childhood flashback, that kids aren't exactly spared the horrors of the system they are part of.

We've seen the child soldiers die by the dozen. What makes you say that "it's a toss up" if that was intentional? More over, what makes you say they're "given a pass" for being collaborators?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I think it was pretty well done.

They start very sympathetic characters and then you find they were the ones who killed thousands of people and is like "wtf why?"

But then we see where they came from and all they been through and is pretty understandable that they would do what they did and still kinda think of themselves as good people, specially since it wanst simple and easy for them, Reiner and Bertold got really hosed up in the proccess

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Gabi sucks really hard, even if I get that she's struggling against a life of brainwashing.

She still sucks.