Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Just out of curiosity, if you absolutely had to drain your fryer into a plastic bucket - how long would it take for the oil to cool off to a reasonable temp? Best guesses are perfectly welcome, I have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I've made the hot coffee in a glass pitcher and then put on ice mistake more than once, and i mostly put it down to sleep deprivation

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Just out of curiosity, if you absolutely had to drain your fryer into a plastic bucket - how long would it take for the oil to cool off to a reasonable temp? Best guesses are perfectly welcome, I have no idea.

Long enough for it to etch into your memory to never, ever, ever do it again. Especially if it was during or right before a rush. Though adding flour to suck it up will hopefully speed cooling it enough to be worked with as the oil mixes with the room temperature flour to make a hot but workable sludge that can be swept/mopped up.

Thankfully the only time something similar happened to me was when a cook dropped a five gallon container of olive oil. It slipped out of his hand and the cap shattered when it hit the ground.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Alkydere posted:

Long enough for it to etch into your memory to never, ever, ever do it again. Especially if it was during or right before a rush. Though adding flour to suck it up will hopefully speed cooling it enough to be worked with as the oil mixes with the room temperature flour to make a hot but workable sludge that can be swept/mopped up.

Thankfully the only time something similar happened to me was when a cook dropped a five gallon container of olive oil. It slipped out of his hand and the cap shattered when it hit the ground.

Ha, this reminds me of one time when I had to sign off on a kitchen delivery (I ran the bar and was brand new to restaurants at the time - came from clubs) due to the chef being a few hours late. It included a case of salt - they sent iodized, he wanted kosher but didn't specify. I didn't know any better since hey, nightclubs don't order that poo poo. Dude was pissed but it just so happened that later that night we had a similar oil spill and used roughly half the case to help soak it up and get it cleaned up.

Moral of the story: Receive your own goddamn orders if you're going to be picky.

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~

Shooting Blanks posted:

I had to do this in this ghetto-rear end kitchen run out of a bar. I waited like 45 minutes and it was still super tenuous. Like, the bucket would start to bulge a little around the middle cause the oil would soften it just enough. I hated it but it was the only thing to do. The first time was really tense, but then it was something I just got jaded about.

I do not recommend doing this ever.

Also in that kitchen the only things that worked were the fryer and the pizza oven, so I was tiger-striped all the time from catching my arm on the open pizza door as I was slinging sandwiches and poo poo in and out of there.

One time I spent two weeks on my knees cleaning the stone tile floor cause I realized that what I thought was grout was actually loving grime.

But I got paid cash under the table and the bartenders always took really good care of me tip and drink-wise cause I made lemonade out of lemons like every day.

Which reminds me, I also had to go to the farmers market every day to re-stock our line, and then bring receipts that I made all these Filipino women make me so I could get reimbursed.

Good times.

Rama of Ra fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jul 14, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Thumposaurus posted:

Air born flour is no joke. When I was working at the bakeries I've worked at I'd wear a dust mask when mixing large quantities of bread up.
The times I'd forget I'd be blowing flour out of my nose for the rest of the day.

Yup. It was always fun wiping down the bench when I came in to start the night's baking, because the exhaust ventilation had been off for 6 hours and it had time to settle out of the air.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
I am vaguely concerned about these people's sanity. I've been at my new place for less than a month and the GM and transfer AGM are already talking to the big boss (Bob) about training me for management and ultimately AGM.

I feel like they're gonna end up talking me into Peter Principleing myself into a job I'm not good at; I'm not great with people and I'm awkward as gently caress and have some hilarious OCD but this entire company is hemorrhaging management so they're pushing anyone vaguely competent to be AGMs and poo poo. Maybe I just have poo poo self-esteem but I really worry about being allowed to be in charge of people.

On the upside if I'm a manager that means I have the authority to shout at our 100% worthless maintenance guy so it may be worth it

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I've dumped hot oil into those white plastic pickle buckets plenty of times and never had an issue. The fryer's easier to clean when it's hot. I guess some are flimsier than others.

I've found that personally the easiest way to deal with the "why didn't you read my mind" bosses is to calmly skip right to the facts at the heart of the issue instead of arguing or negotiating blame. "I prepped my usual amount for a Saturday night, nobody told me any differently. I can't see the future." They're going to blame whoever they're going to blame, but these people that like to pick fights find it a lot less satisfying when you stay calm but firm and refuse to give them the argument they're looking for.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Shooting Blanks posted:

just toss some ice in there :haw:

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Shooting Blanks posted:

My last place, it made more sense with scheduling (and the fact that our alley was pitch black and kind of sketchy) to just clean the fryers in the morning before we opened, rather than at night. Plastic buckets were totally fine after 7-9 hours of cooling off.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Human Tornada posted:

I've dumped hot oil into those white plastic pickle buckets plenty of times and never had an issue. The fryer's easier to clean when it's hot. I guess some are flimsier than others.

depending on the plastic hot oil is possibly gna leech out chemicals and frankly why risk it

"don't drain hot oil into plastic" is smtg that needs to be said? i guess?

anyway chef gaslight is loving off in a few months so at least i don't have to deal with that situation anymore, soon :unsmith: i'll always treasure how i took pics of my station after close every night for 4 months bc they were claiming i left things a mess when i absolutely didn't (and never again was accused of such after i started documenting :tinfoil: ) oh and the time i went on vacation for 5 days, came back, and was yelled at for the state of my station on the fourth night i was out of town and when i pointed this out i was told "don't be so defensive"

eagerly anticipating how much worse the next chef is gna be

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

SHVPS4DETH posted:

depending on the plastic hot oil is possibly gna leech out chemicals and frankly why risk it

"don't drain hot oil into plastic" is smtg that needs to be said? i guess?

Leach chemicals into what, the dirty oil we're throwing away? Or it will damage the bucket, that we're also throwing away?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Human Tornada posted:

Leach chemicals into what, the dirty oil we're throwing away? Or it will damage the bucket, that we're also throwing away?

Many fryers need to be drained into an outside container in order for the oil to be filtered and cleaned. You in no way indicated that you were only dumping oil into the buckets at disposal time.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Mithross posted:

Many fryers need to be drained into an outside container in order for the oil to be filtered and cleaned. You in no way indicated that you were only dumping oil into the buckets at disposal time.

Oh, well good thing SHVPS4DETH went ahead and assumed I meant the wrong thing in order to get a head start on correcting me.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Dedicated metal oil buckets crew?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I just lurk here mostly, but oil filter story: When I was dishwasher/short order cook at Ray's Roost Truck Stop, I had the filter set up, large metal mixing bowl under the filter, ready to go, and had a pump jockey watching. When I turned to get the oil, I can't see much, and turned and started pouring, only to find he had moved the bowl and was in the process of moving the rest "out of the way" when I started pouring into the filter, directly on to the floor. Fortunately, only about a half gallon of hot oil before I noticed. He thought I was going to the dishwasher sink.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Human Tornada posted:

Oh, well good thing SHVPS4DETH went ahead and assumed I meant the wrong thing in order to get a head start on correcting me.

yr rly gna die on the hill of emptying hot oil into plastic buckets?

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Naelyan posted:

My last place, it made more sense with scheduling (and the fact that our alley was pitch black and kind of sketchy) to just clean the fryers in the morning before we opened, rather than at night. Plastic buckets were totally fine after 7-9 hours of cooling off.

This is how we do it too (for more or less the same reasons), and while it sketched me out to use plastic when I started there, we've never had problems. The oil is plenty cool after 8+ hours of the fryers being off. We have dedicated buckets for this that get thrown out if they show signs of wear and get stored far, far away from any food grade containers, food, etc.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

idiotsavant posted:

just toss some ice in there :haw:

I said this once. It did not go well.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If you're using a plastic bucket, just make sure the oil isn't hot and merely warm to the touch.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Right, well I'm about to disappear for five days in Amazon's bowels for Prime Day so one last Fuckwit McGee story.

Fuckwit McGee loves his power sprayer
Fuckwit McGee loves power sprayers. He loves them so much he straight up buys one and brings it to the kitchen. This isn't a problem one bit. Every couple of days the dish-crew would spray down the hotel carts, the blast freezer carts we used as hotel carts and the cart-carts we ferried poo poo around on. They had to clean them previously by hand so same job but super easy/quick. They'd also give the concrete outside/around the building a quick wash once or twice a month (and hide how much mop-water we threw right out the back door doing so). This is fine, this is good, this is the one legitimately okay thing Fuckwit McGee has done that no one is upset about.

Or so we thought. See, he thought we weren't using it enough so he uses his position as manager to gently caress with the schedule. Curious to see what days I'm off (read: which days I'm getting called in) I'm pretty quick in checking it. Instead of my usual 5 days off with two almost random, separate days off (read: to be called in after I slept late) I'm working six days on the schedule. I have an issue with this and, because there are customers in the front half of the shop and I feel exploding in front of them would be a bad idea I respectfully walk up to the desk and ask "what the hell is this 'CLEANING' shift you shoved in my schedule?"

"Oh I thought since you're always upset about how filthy the kitchen is you could come in on one of your days off and clean."

"...on one of my days off?"

"I mean you're here all the time already?"

I'm not exactly sure exactly what he saw in my face. I'm loving huge and I know I have a tendency to turn beet red. I'm also standing (looming) above him as he sits in his office chair at his desk next to the flat-top. Conversation stops around us and he starts rambling hurriedly.

"You think...I want to be here...six or seven days a week?"

"I-I mean just come in for a couple hours and use the power sprayer to clean the place and..."

It hits me: he wants me to use the power sprayer, inside, while the kitchen is loving working. He thinks me spraying a section of kitchen down with the sprayer while other people are cooking is entirely sanitary. And I realize he's set up half the kitchen for these "cleaning" shifts. While this is all hitting me one of the little Mexican ladies goes to check the schedule and suddenly there's an explosion of angry Spanish. Within five minutes half the kitchen is up in arms against him because they've randomly had one of their (hoarded, precious) days off taken away for these "CLEANING" shifts, the other half are revolting in support of the first half.

An hour later he redoes the schedule due to threat of general mutiny by the entire kitchen for being scheduled for extra time. He never, ever, not once realizes the issue with having someone using a power sprayer and misting the entire kitchen with whatever gunk we'd kick up doing it. He thought having one of the cooks come in at 4 AM and use the power sprayer directly next to her co-worker was a good idea.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I mean idk what you all are doing, I just get under there and put my lips to the spigot. No muss no fuss

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

SHVPS4DETH posted:

yr rly gna die on the hill of emptying hot oil into plastic buckets?

Who's dying on a hill? I just said I've done it before and never had the bucket melt. The first part of your response was fine, but then you said "don't drain hot oil into plastic" is smtg that needs to be said? i guess? and people usually bristle when you insult them.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Really glad my place doesn't have a deep fryer right now.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Human Tornada posted:

Who's dying on a hill? I just said I've done it before and never had the bucket melt. The first part of your response was fine, but then you said "don't drain hot oil into plastic" is smtg that needs to be said? i guess? and people usually bristle when you insult them.
you're sure to hit oil digging a well that deep

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Shooting Blanks posted:

I said this once. It did not go well.

i would 100% never make that joke in the type of place that empties fryers into plastic buckets cause someone would end up with their face melted off

like, while I've never cooked professionally I have a decent amount of experience running an all-volunteer kitchen at a local outdoors club, and a) holy poo poo people are dumb and b) who the gently caress thought buying a mandoline for this place was ever a good idea holy poo poo get that the gently caress out of my kitchen

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 15, 2019

Hauki
May 11, 2010

idiotsavant posted:

an all-volunteer kitchen... a mandoline

:hmmyes:

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
literally had one late-60's/early-70's lady shove her fingers down the robocoupe feed tube to get that last little bit of red lettuce. Lettuce was a little redder afterwards, thank god it was only a good chunk out of the tip of one finger

edit: I don't think I was doing the kitchen that day, just an example of how dumb people can be. also not the worst safety example I've seen - we have chainsaws, too!

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jul 15, 2019

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
trying to think of some perfect disaster of a kitchen device. Some sort of combined mandoline/fryer/gluten sprayer/cigarette vending machine.

edit: Passing along another post from the BFC Retail thread, since apparently Alkydere will be too busy dying:

Alkydere posted:

Right, well I'm about to disappear for five days in Amazon's bowels for Prime Day so one last Fuckwit McGee story.

Fuckwit McGee loves his power sprayer
Fuckwit McGee loves power sprayers. He loves them so much he straight up buys one and brings it to the kitchen. This isn't a problem one bit. Every couple of days the dish-crew would spray down the hotel carts, the blast freezer carts we used as hotel carts and the cart-carts we ferried poo poo around on. They had to clean them previously by hand so same job but super easy/quick. They'd also give the concrete outside/around the building a quick wash once or twice a month (and hide how much mop-water we threw right out the back door doing so). This is fine, this is good, this is the one legitimately okay thing Fuckwit McGee has done that no one is upset about.

Or so we thought. See, he thought we weren't using it enough so he uses his position as manager to gently caress with the schedule. Curious to see what days I'm off (read: which days I'm getting called in) I'm pretty quick in checking it. Instead of my usual 5 days off with two almost random, separate days off (read: to be called in after I slept late) I'm working six days on the schedule. I have an issue with this and, because there are customers in the front half of the shop and I feel exploding in front of them would be a bad idea I respectfully walk up to the desk and ask "what the hell is this 'CLEANING' shift you shoved in my schedule?"

"Oh I thought since you're always upset about how filthy the kitchen is you could come in on one of your days off and clean."

"...on one of my days off?"

"I mean you're here all the time already?"

I'm not exactly sure exactly what he saw in my face. I'm loving huge and I know I have a tendency to turn beet red. I'm also standing (looming) above him as he sits in his office chair at his desk next to the flat-top. Conversation stops around us and he starts rambling hurriedly.

"You think...I want to be here...six or seven days a week?"

"I-I mean just come in for a couple hours and use the power sprayer to clean the place and..."

It hits me: he wants me to use the power sprayer, inside, while the kitchen is loving working. He thinks me spraying a section of kitchen down with the sprayer while other people are cooking is entirely sanitary. And I realize he's set up half the kitchen for these "cleaning" shifts. While this is all hitting me one of the little Mexican ladies goes to check the schedule and suddenly there's an explosion of angry Spanish. Within five minutes half the kitchen is up in arms against him because they've randomly had one of their (hoarded, precious) days off taken away for these "CLEANING" shifts, the other half are revolting in support of the first half.

An hour later he redoes the schedule due to threat of general mutiny by the entire kitchen for being scheduled for extra time. He never, ever, not once realizes the issue with having someone using a power sprayer and misting the entire kitchen with whatever gunk we'd kick up doing it. He thought having one of the cooks come in at 4 AM and use the power sprayer directly next to her co-worker was a good idea.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 15, 2019

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

idiotsavant posted:

i would 100% never make that joke in the type of place that empties fryers into plastic buckets cause someone would end up with their face melted off

like, while I've never cooked professionally I have a decent amount of experience running an all-volunteer kitchen at a local outdoors club, and a) holy poo poo people are dumb and b) who the gently caress thought buying a mandoline for this place was ever a good idea holy poo poo get that the gently caress out of my kitchen

Look, even Volunteer kitchens have a blood sacrifice quota to meet and you gotta get it quick before the volunteers wise up and find better things to do!

Discendo Vox posted:

trying to think of some perfect disaster of a kitchen device. Some sort of combined mandoline/fryer/gluten sprayer/cigarette vending machine.

edit: Passing along another post from the BFC Retail thread, since apparently Alkydere will be too busy dying:

Erm...DV...check right above your previous post. No real need to quote what I already copied here. :v: Thankfully we're only doing 11 hour shifts this Prime Week so I get out at 6 AM. Because gently caress IH-35 into Austin at 7 AM. I already drag my rear end through 5PM traffic to get my rear end there in time, I don't need to hit both rush hours.

Also the perfect disaster kitchen device would also involve some sort of food processor part that someone just loaded up with onions and/or spicy peppers that you had to hold your head above to operate just to make sure the poor bastard using it is blind from their own tears.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Shabadu posted:

I've made the hot coffee in a glass pitcher and then put on ice mistake more than once, and i mostly put it down to sleep deprivation

Same but hot gelatin buffer for an experiment when I was doing my PhD. Got down an entire flight of stairs before the bottle exploded all over me and the stairwell and then I remembered that hot glass often doesn’t like being rapidly cooled.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jul 15, 2019

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Alkydere posted:

Also the perfect disaster kitchen device would also involve some sort of food processor part that someone just loaded up with onions and/or spicy peppers that you had to hold your head above to operate just to make sure the poor bastard using it is blind from their own tears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rwUdL9qXjk&t=28s

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Ive never seen people get mad about the idea of pulling fryer oil into a non meltable container before

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

pile of brown posted:

Ive never seen people get mad about the idea of pulling fryer oil into a non meltable container before

Just use a stock pot, right? Or do it in the morning when it's cool (or both, like every place I've ever worked at has done).

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Raikiri posted:

Just use a stock pot, right? Or do it in the morning when it's cool (or both, like every place I've ever worked at has done).

:yeah:

We have a fryer filter machine and one of those huge fridge-sized standing traps you just stick the filter hose into and drain it, then the dudes come clear it out occasionally. So much better than having to do it manually.

On the other hand we have two floor drains, one flattop, and one fryer that don't work, don't have an electric sharpener, the cold line lid has a huge dent so it's not keeping temp and flooding the bottom of the cooler, the maintenance dude won't even replace a light bulb, and yesterday the back door decided it didn't want to lock without setting off the alarm. So there's that.

Still better than my last place, at least we didn't buy our dishwasher from Craigslist because we pissed off Ecolab and they canceled the contract (it took three weeks with one of the cooks who "used to repair appliances in China" to get it working; the place that put it on Craigslist did it because it was broken). To this day Boss will swear he got the better end of that deal

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The answer to this fryer business and plastic bucket business is holding a science class before open about why its a bad idea. With live demonstrations.

Have a new guy nearby to clean it up.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

SHVPS4DETH posted:

yr rly gna

what the gently caress is this

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ghostnuke posted:

what the gently caress is this
"you're really gonna"

or if that's too much

"you are really going to"

Are you like 100 years old?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

yes, I understand that thanks.

didn't that used to be probate-able?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Lots of things used to be