Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, Star Twinkle 22:

On tonight's installment, Yuni sits most of the episode out, only joining in the MotW battle and using her finisher to promote the new merch. It's mostly about Hikaru's family, and Yuni has basically no frame of reference for Earth, so she's a stray cat for most of the runtime. Despite how vague the show was being about him up until now there appears to be nothing untoward going on with Hikaru's dad, he’s just an overly enthusiastic cryptid fanatic who spends most of his time traveling around the world and is rarely home (though) that's also why Hikaru's grandpa isn't on the best of terms with him).

Fairly standard family story episode, but it was a good one. I think we're fairly well acquainted with all three Earthling Cures' families by now. The aliens, however, are another story. Next week looks to be Yuni's first real Earth episode... exept for the fact that it's a Fuwa episode.

In regards to my previous question, apparently Darknest’s VA is not listed anywhere at the moment. Which sort of makes me think they’re still hiding something in regards to him (like that the actor is someone we’ve heard already in this season and listing him would give away a future plot twist).

I don’t recall if any of them were said out loud yet (I think the mom might have been named at least) but the members of Hikaru’s family do in fact have official names:

Mom: Terumi Hoshina
Dad: Yoichi Hoshina
Grandpa: Harukichi Hoshina
Grandma: Yoko Hoshina

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, who voices Darknest in Star Twinkle? I can’t seem to find anything on the wiki regarding that.

He is apparently based on a Tsuchinoko though if anyone was curious:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsuchinoko

Also Hikaru’s dad in tonight’s episode is apparently played by Akio Otsuka (Blackbeard in One Piece, Champ in Kyuranger, Snake in the MGS series and many others).

He's not based on a Tsuchinoko he's based on the Uwabami or Orochi youkai.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

He's not based on a Tsuchinoko he's based on the Uwabami or Orochi youkai.

Ah my mistake, I’d assumed he was an Orochi at first too but both wikis I checked had him listed as a Tsuchinoko. Nevermind that point then.

I am still sort of curious why his VA isn’t listed anywhere though (he had a fair bit of dialogue in episode 21). It makes me think he might share an actor with another character we’ve seen before and they don’t want to ruin the surprise.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 7, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Uwabami is the Giant Snake Yokai.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Subs are out for Episode 22, Hikaru’s dad seems like a cool guy and I hope he comes back again later. We also got some nice development for her grandfather as well (though it’s kind of weird that Lala was the one to talk to him rather than Hikaru herself).

Also rather than attempt to blend in, Yuni/Blue Cat seems to instead just prefer brooding by herself alone and then showing up to help the team when needed. I assume this will change soon though.

Considering all the focus she’s been getting I’m starting to think that Lala might be the real main character of Star Twinkle.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jul 8, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A new character has been revealed:

Apparently her name is Mary Ann, she's a police detective who shows up in the Star Twinkle movie.

We also have a plot summary for the movie thanks to the wiki article:

quote:

The Story About The Birth Of A Star
Echo Throughout Space♪ Let Our Song! Reach You♪

Nice to meet you! And you are...?
One day, a mysterious creature suddenly appeared from within Lala's gummy case! Their name was... UMA, I think? Ah, don't be scared, everything will be okay! Nice to meet you, UMA!

A grand adventure around Earth on a shooting star!?
Glitterific~☆ And just like a shooting star, we were whisked away to a faraway place!?
Is this UMA's powers ~lun? What sort of creature are they ~lun?

Let's sing a song of the stars♪
Because they can't communicate through words, it seems UMA really likes "The Shooting Star Song" ~lun♪ It's nice getting along with each other through music ~lun♪

UMA is the most precious treasure in the entire universe!?
But one day, a mysterious alien hunter appeared...oh no!
Is it possible that they're after UMA ~lun!?
If that's the case, then the universe and Earth are in danger! Let's all protect UMA together!
Be sure to support us as we sing "The Shooting Star Song" which connects us with UMA!!

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 9, 2019

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Larryb posted:

A new character has been revealed:

I can't believe Blue Cat is going to go to jail.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Julias posted:

I can't believe Blue Cat is going to go to jail.

She's probably going to just be exclusive to the movie but a Zenigata to Uni/Blue Cat's Lupin could be fun to see (that is, assuming she even continues being a thief now that she's stuck on Earth with the Precure).

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Star Twinkle fighting Cops and Alien Ice is powerful stuff

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Hikaru's dad sure was pretty accepting of his daughter hanging out with aliens.

I guess this episode doesn't really disprove the "He's actually an alien" theory but at the very least him only visiting one day a year doesn't have anything to do with the rule about aliens who get discovered being forced to leave. So it's pretty likely he's just an eccentric human who's just way into his hobby.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

Hikaru's dad sure was pretty accepting of his daughter hanging out with aliens.

I guess this episode doesn't really disprove the "He's actually an alien" theory but at the very least him only visiting one day a year doesn't have anything to do with the rule about aliens who get discovered being forced to leave. So it's pretty likely he's just an eccentric human who's just way into his hobby.

I mean, it’s still possible that there might be something bigger going on with him (he is the first person to recognize Lala as an alien on sight but that could be because he’s dedicated his life to studying stuff like that), but he doesn’t seem like a bad guy at least.

In fact, he was kind of fun and I hope we see more of him later (also it’s cute that Hikaru’s catchphrase came from her dad). Come to think of it, this might be the first time that the catchphrase of a Pink Cure was ever actually explained in the show itself.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 9, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Some new images just came out:

Form changes for the girls (or at least Star and Milky) based on the Star Princesses:

A Pegasus form for Fuwa (or possibly a new character entirely, it’s sort of hard to tell):

Edit: It appears these transformations are exclusive to the movie though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 10, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of the Star Twinkle movie, here’s the trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=-TgdU8Fjb-E

This actually looks pretty good to be honest.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

NHK anime world is having a Giant Precure poll. My favorite better win or else...I'll still be happy just less so

https://twitter.com/nhk_animeworld/status/1149514644672745473

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
It let me vote from overseas but it wants a description of why I made each choice.

Looks like you can pick up to 3 favorite cures, 6 favorite side characters, and 3 favorite songs, but only one out of every series and movie.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Caithness posted:

but only one out of every series and movie.

I refuse to choose between Black and White :colbert:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I can’t read Japanese, does the poll include pictures of the characters as well? Also are some of the non-Cure team members like the Kiryuu sisters and Regina included among the choices?

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I just gave it a quick glance-over but it looked like you could search via (Japanese) text or alternatively click on the season logo and then character. You are then presented with a bunch of Japanese options after that, though. I didn't look around long enough to see who was included.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah, was just curious if I could bluff my way through it or not.

On another note, considering how the epilogue showed her as part of the team it annoys me that Regina has only gotten two post-series cameos (the first was her hugging her girlfriend Mana in one of the later All Stars movies and the second was a still frame shot during the big Hugtto crossover), hasn’t had a speaking role since the end of DokiDoki, and as far as I know hasn’t even gotten any merchandise made of her. Even the Kiryuus were treated better than that.

In fact, just give us a DokiDoki sequel movie/series. The ending kind of leaves the door open for one after all.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 13, 2019

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I didn't know you could vote for multiple people, so I just voted for Tsubomi and Bishin. Is there a way to add more retroactively?

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
Just fill out the form again, I think.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Star Twinkle 23: This week it's The Trouble With Tribbles. I'm hit or miss on mascot episodes (though some, like the episodes with Puff and Aroma, are pretty good), but this one wasn't too bad. Mostly because it used the subplot of Yuni (Blue Cat) learning from the rest of the team that she doesn't need to be so down on herself all the time. She's got friends now, and she can rely on them. Plus, Yuni briefly transformed into Mao to serve a distraction so it looks like her other identities haven't entirely gone away, even if she's getting used to being herself around people.

Next time is another planet exploration episode, this time going to a planet that looks like every video game ice level. Shiveria, Freezeezy Peak, take your pick. And it means a new pen!

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 14, 2019

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Lala is a strange child

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

To be fair, donuts are pretty powerful weapons in the Precure universe (they once helped save the multiverse after all).

I kind of want to meet Lala’s family now that we’ve seen those of most of the other Cures. Maybe they’ll visit her home planet at some point.

On another note, Miracle Universe (the KiraKira/Hugtto/Star Twinkle crossover) has recently been released on DVD so unless there’s another Super Stars situation I imagine someone will get around to subbing it before long. I have heard though that they for some reason turn it into a full All Stars movie near the end with the other 11 Precure teams suddenly popping up to help, not sure how I feel about that honestly.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 14, 2019

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

For the toku fans in this thread

https://twitter.com/Rmssyafrp/status/1149978775372697600

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Who are those girls in the top left row?

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

First three are from Ojamajo Doremi, I'm not sure about the fourth though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

First three are from Ojamajo Doremi, I'm not sure about the fourth though.

Is that show any good? The only Magical Girl stuff I’ve really seen are the Precure franchise, Madoka Magica, and every incarnation of Sailor Moon except for the stage shows.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Fourth girl is Nadja from Tomorrow's Nadja the show in between Doremi and Precure that is forgotten for the most part but those that have watched seem to like a lot (haven't seen)

I also haven't seen Doremi but apparently it's really good though it's more like an 70/80's show where the girls use and learn magic and don't fight monsters.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Why are those two shows included on that list with the Precure though, do they share some production staff or something?

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

They're all Toei shows that aired 8:30am Sunday mornings on TV Asahi so they're sort of like cousins to the toku block.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sort of off topic but who are the two Ultramen in that picture next to Nadja?

Edit: Apparently the purple one is Ultraman Legend who only appeared in one movie and the little one is Ultraman Boy, who appeared in a series of shorts designed to get younger viewers into the franchise.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 15, 2019

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
This week: :catdrugs:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sindai posted:

This week: :catdrugs:

Literally in fact (Fuwa eats one of Yuni’s cookies that are apparently laced with catnip).

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Larryb posted:

Literally in fact (Fuwa eats one of Yuni’s cookies that are apparently laced with catnip).

Oh christ, I'm so hype for this. For some reason Fuwa is one of my favorite fairies, she seems like she'd be annoying but I just love her.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Subs are out for Episode 23. Apparently Yuni’s a recreational drug user (the cookie she had was apparently laced with a substance that is basically catnip, which would be about the same as a human carrying around a pot brownie).

She is learning more about how to rely on the team and be less of a lone wolf though (Elena also had a nice moment where she put her experience as a big sister to good use). Also a swarm of Fuwas all demanding food is both terrifying and adorable to me.

Still no sign of Aiwan though (we’re apparently back to Tenjou next week given the custom Nottrei in the preview) which makes me think she’s either split off from the NotRaiders or that Blue Cat’s ship wasn’t warp compatible and it just took her a little longer to come back.

Also unlike Siren from Suite, Yuni appears to have retained her transformation ability after becoming a Precure (she turns into Mao at one point to serve as a distraction). That should come in handy later on.

I wish they'd update the OP already though (especially since they already changed the ending theme right after Cosmo's debut), it's weird seeing Yuni and Bakenyan still be treated as separate characters.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 15, 2019

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

What if Sailor Moon, but shorter?

I'm cutting down episodes of Sailor Moon to 20-30% of their original length for comedic effect. Enjoy.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 18, 2019

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

And one more episode since I'm feeling spicy today, wherein a bunch of guys get possessed by tarot cards?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A few bits of early Precure concept art I found (I think at least two of these may have already been posted earlier):

Futari Wa:

Yes 5 (apparently they were going to have bikes/scooters at one point):

DokiDoki:

Maho Girls:

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

This is the earliest Futari Wa concept art I know of